Rich S: shot my low round and won

rich_s2

> @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> Congrats on a terrific tournament.

> @Rohlio said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > What a day :) Club championship. Beautiful day but windy. 7:30am tee time and I am playing with last years champ who also won the city tournament. Stick it to 12" on one for birdie then proceed to bogey the next three but managed 2 more birdies for a first nine 36. This is a 27 hole championship. I three putt 3 times (BRUTAL pins) and shoot 40 on the second nine. My buddy is off and I am one up at this point. Long story short, shoot a 38 on the last nine and am tied for first with my buddy. Now folks, last year I shot 47,47,59 in this championship so this one means more to me that I can explain.

> >

> > Sudden death playoff and I lose on the first hole but man what a day!! 6 over after 27 holes is something I am very proud of after putting in all the work. Thanks to all of you reading this for your encouragement since this post began. Means a lot :)

>

> That is fantastic! Holding up under tournament pressure when it matters to you is tough. Well done!

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> Good job Rich, nice play in the championship!

Thanks guys, appreciate it :)

Fantastic job. Love reading these!!

Do you have any recent video of you swing and putting? Would love to see it.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Obee said:

> Fantastic job. Love reading these!!

>

> Do you have any recent video of you swing and putting? Would love to see it.

I don't but am going out with my daughter tonight and will get some. Any specific club you want me to use? I try to not take videos when I am playing good of my full swing as it has screwed with me in the past but I'm in a great place mentally :)

> @"rich s" said:

> > @Obee said:

> > Fantastic job. Love reading these!!

> >

> > Do you have any recent video of you swing and putting? Would love to see it.

>

> I don't but am going out with my daughter tonight and will get some. Any specific club you want me to use? I try to not take videos when I am playing good of my full swing as it has screwed with me in the past but I'm in a great place mentally :)

Just want to see your action. Maybe a driver and a 7-iron or something? Angle doesn't matter, not looking to nitpick, just want to see your move. And putting stroke for sure.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Obee said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > > @Obee said:

> > > Fantastic job. Love reading these!!

> > >

> > > Do you have any recent video of you swing and putting? Would love to see it.

> >

> > I don't but am going out with my daughter tonight and will get some. Any specific club you want me to use? I try to not take videos when I am playing good of my full swing as it has screwed with me in the past but I'm in a great place mentally :)

>

> Just want to see your action. Maybe a driver and a 7-iron or something? Angle doesn't matter, not looking to nitpick, just want to see your move. And putting stroke for sure.

In my work clothes so no fashion judgements please :P 35 degree 7i 165 average carry and Mizuno ST190 driver with Accra shaft 250-260 carry. By looking at the vids I see my sway is still there but my flat shoulder turn is a tiny bit better. Winter focus will be working on those things as that is what my last lesson with Dan was about. I also need better leg action in the BS. This was cool because I have never video'd my putter swing before with me in the actual video. I am always up for putting tips and I don't make all my putts :P

• Like 1

> @"rich s" said:

> > @Obee said:

> > > @"rich s" said:

> > > > @Obee said:

> > > > Fantastic job. Love reading these!!

> > > >

> > > > Do you have any recent video of you swing and putting? Would love to see it.

> > >

> > > I don't but am going out with my daughter tonight and will get some. Any specific club you want me to use? I try to not take videos when I am playing good of my full swing as it has screwed with me in the past but I'm in a great place mentally :)

> >

> > Just want to see your action. Maybe a driver and a 7-iron or something? Angle doesn't matter, not looking to nitpick, just want to see your move. And putting stroke for sure.

>

> In my work clothes so no fashion judgements please :P 35 degree 7i 165 average carry and Mizuno ST190 driver with Accra shaft 250-260 carry. By looking at the vids I see my sway is still there but my flat shoulder turn is a tiny bit better. Winter focus will be working on those things as that is what my last lesson with Dan was about. I also need better leg action in the BS. This was cool because I have never video'd my putter swing before with me in the actual video. I am always up for putting tips and I don't make all my putts :P

>

>

>

>

Kudos to you, Rich. Your swing doesn't look like it would generate near enough speed to carry 165/250 with 7-iron/driver. And I sincerely mean that as a compliment, not a slight. I'm 31 y/o, 6'2 200lbs and I'm 10 yards short of you on both accounts.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

> @DLev45

No slight taken, I appreciate it :) My old swing was longer and caused me back pain. This swing is just so much easier and I actually gained distance. There is still a lot of meat on the bone. The only good thing good I can say about winter in Wisconsin is that I can work on my game and hitting into a net is so much easier to make changes than to see the full outcome of a shot.

> @"rich s" said:

> > @DLev45

> hitting into a net is so much easier to make changes than to see the full outcome of a shot.

>

>

>

Amen to that...nothing will ruin me trying to change a movement like seeing ball flight.

• Like 1

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

After talking with Obee, I am going to try to keep better stats. Last night I had our 9 hole league. Shot one under which is cool because it makes me even par for the last 4 weeks.

Hole 1- Fairway hit, 177 approach to 21', 2 putt-par

Hole 2- Fairway hit, 185 approach to 26', 2 putt-par

Hole 3- fairway hit, 118 approach to 15', 2 putt-par

Hole 4- 151 par 3, green hit 55', 2 putt-par

Hole 5- par 5, fairway hit, 65 approach to 13', 2 putt-par

Hole 6- 159 par 3, green hit 32', 2 putt-par

Hole 7- fairway hit, 106 approach to 9', 2 putt-par

Hole 8- Fairway missed, 62 approach to 26', 1 putt-birdie

Hole 9- par 5, fairway hit, 198 approach in two to 42', 3 putt-par

Pins were still left over from our Club Championship so they were tough. I need to keep dialing in my proximity to the hole and need to make more longer putts. My green reading skills are very good, I just left a lot of the longer putts just short of the hole. I feel that if every putt made it to the hole I would have been 3-4 under. I found that I am in more of a defensive mindset on any putt over 20' instead of just going after the putt. I hate 3 putts as much as I hate double bogeys. I just don't trust my speed as much as I should.

Tomorrow is our Club Invitational. 2 man team quota points, 27 holes. Normally I get more aggressive in these but talking to the club pro last night, I am just going to play my game and really focus on not taking any double and getting every putt to the hole.

I've officially dropped to a 3.5!

My partner (golf partner, not life partner) and I played in the invitational yesterday. Quota points... Lots of learning happened yesterday as I don't do quota points tournaments very often. My range finder battery was dead and that meant I was late getting to the course for my warm up. I am a creature of habit and have a warm up that works so when things get screwed up, it effects me more than it should. This was a big event and the range was booked so I had to wait to get a spot and was only able to hit a few balls.

Shotgun start, hit a nice 4i (little thin) to the middle of the fairway. Start going through my routine and some guy (probably jonesscott) was blaring some rap music that he apparently thought every person on the course needed to hear. I stayed focused and pushed my 6i iron just of the green. At this point I knew I was just a bit off and in knowing that I made a very big mistake.

This was a 27 hole event and every pin was within 4 yards of the edge of the green. I had it in my head that I needed to be aggressive. Folks, my game is not aggressive. The problem with being aggressive with this course set-up and being off a little is that you are destined to short side yourself...a LOT. My putting was hot and I was thankful for that as I got up and down a lot but if I would have just put it 20' away instead of trying to stick it on the flag it would have been a much better day. In the end I felt like I played horrible and hit 10/27 greens with 3 birdies and was -4 quota points. This was the worst I have played since the State am qualifier. It was not my swing that cost me, it was my strategy. Now for the good news.

I hit it to 2' on a jackpot hole and won $210 and we took 8th place overall which got us another $80 and some Foot Joy gear.

Going to take off today and practice tomorrow as I have a two day tournament Sunday/monday.

Rich...you know I'm in the Ella fan club but definitely joining yours, too. Went back and looked at your swing from basically a year ago and all I can say is WOW...what an amazing improvement. Your swing is on point. Nice short and compact backswing with no over run and you have the club in wonderful positions throughout. The improvement in your handicap coupled with the results you're posting in competitions is amazing. Enjoying your journey and looking forward to the next chapters for you and Ella!

All the best to you and Ella!

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Rich...you know I'm in the Ella fan club but definitely joining yours, too. Went back and looked at your swing from basically a year ago and all I can say is WOW...what an amazing improvement. Your swing is on point. Nice short and compact backswing with no over run and you have the club in wonderful positions throughout. The improvement in your handicap coupled with the results you're posting in competitions is amazing. Enjoying your journey and looking forward to the next chapters for you and Ella!

>

> All the best to you and Ella!

Thanks bud! Ella had her second tournament last week and she shot a 41 on a par 3 course. Her putting really let her down so we have been working hard on it again. August is super busy for her outside of golf so I am not sure if we will be able to sign her up for anything else. It is amazing how far she has come!

For your pleasure, this is where it actually all began. This was my swing back in 2014 when I first found this forum...

Tournament yesterday, disgusted with myself. My only consolation is this was not at all what I was expecting. Free beer, music and just not the kind of event I’m interested in playing. I wish I would have dug deeper before committing. Still should have played well.

My old swing came back yesterday and I had close to zero focus. I was super narrow and fighting a pull all day. Big storm the day before and greens were slow and I left a lot of putts inches short dead in the jaws. Shot the worst 79 I’ve ever shot and did manage 3 birdies.

This event is two separate tournaments, one yesterday and one today. Today is a 4 man scramble and I’m paired with 3 strangers. They pair us based on handicap and I’m the A guy. Going to just try and focus as much as possible and make the most of it.

I feel like a snob but I just don’t have any desire to pay $165 to go to a party at a golf course. I definitely can see how this is a great fit for weekend golfers and from what I saw everyone had a blast. I’m curious how you guys feel about events like this. Do they help/hurt your game?

> @"rich s" said:

> Tournament yesterday, disgusted with myself. My only consolation is this was not at all what I was expecting. Free beer, music and just not the kind of event I’m interested in playing. I wish I would have dug deeper before committing. Still should have played well.

>

> My old swing came back yesterday and I had close to zero focus. I was super narrow and fighting a pull all day. Big storm the day before and greens were slow and I left a lot of putts inches short dead in the jaws. Shot the worst 79 I’ve ever shot and did manage 3 birdies.

>

> This event is two separate tournaments, one yesterday and one today. Today is a 4 man scramble and I’m paired with 3 strangers. They pair us based on handicap and I’m the A guy. Going to just try and focus as much as possible and make the most of it.

>

> I feel like a snob but I just don’t have any desire to pay $165 to go to a party at a golf course. I definitely can see how this is a great fit for weekend golfers and from what I saw everyone had a blast. I’m curious how you guys feel about events like this. Do they help/hurt your game?

>

>

That's the type of event I'd only really be interested in playing if it was with friends and I knew that's what to expect going in. Also, only if I was interested in partying and not caring much about my game that day.

• Like 1

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Well glad those two days are over. Bagfest. I just don’t get it. A 15 shoots 2 over and destroyed everyone the first day. Yesterday was a scramble and he is in the group playing with us and gets to play off the forward tees. He is hitting it 280 down the middle lol. Lesson learned, this is not the kind of event I enjoy playing.

So here I am in another scramble lol. Thornberry Creek and am paired with a group of studs. This course looks amazing!! My game is off a bit and I am looking forward to taking a few days break from golf after this.

After the break I’m going to try and make one hard run at getting into the 2’s before winter. Currently trending at a 3.4

• Like 1

> @"rich s" said:

> Well glad those two days are over. Bagfest. I just don’t get it. A 15 shoots 2 over and destroyed everyone the first day. Yesterday was a scramble and he is in the group playing with us and gets to play off the forward tees. He is hitting it 280 down the middle lol. Lesson learned, this is not the kind of event I enjoy playing.

>

> So here I am in another scramble lol. Thornberry Creek and am paired with a group of studs. This course looks amazing!! My game is off a bit and I am looking forward to taking a few days break from golf after this.

>

> After the break I’m going to try and make one hard run at getting into the 2’s before winter. Currently trending at a 3.4

Scrambles.... Ugggh, the land of drunkards, liars and sandbaggers. The only way to win a scramble is to fill out the card the night before.

WITB:

> @Rohlio said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > Well glad those two days are over. Bagfest. I just don’t get it. A 15 shoots 2 over and destroyed everyone the first day. Yesterday was a scramble and he is in the group playing with us and gets to play off the forward tees. He is hitting it 280 down the middle lol. Lesson learned, this is not the kind of event I enjoy playing.

> >

> > So here I am in another scramble lol. Thornberry Creek and am paired with a group of studs. This course looks amazing!! My game is off a bit and I am looking forward to taking a few days break from golf after this.

> >

> > After the break I’m going to try and make one hard run at getting into the 2’s before winter. Currently trending at a 3.4

>

> Scrambles.... Ugggh, the land of drunkards, liars and sandbaggers. The only way to win a scramble is to fill out the card the night before.

I'm glad you said it - I rarely trust any winning scores I've ever seen in scrambles. A group of 4 guys, where I know the lowest cap is like an 8-10 and yet they turn in a -20, yeah sure. I only play charity scrambles where I am there to have drinks, have fun, and try to hit all the hero shots.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @J295 said:

> Rich. Just found this thread. Super cool. Congrats and enjoy

Welcome to the madness!

Had a blast today. Played well, scored good and just enjoyed playing with my buddy who happens to be an animal on the golf course. We finished 14 under. Really beautiful course. It’s a lpga tour stop and it’s easy but gorgeous. Time to take a few days off to let my mind and body heal before I make a good run at the 2’s.

I thought you all might want to see Ella’s current swing. Here she is with a 7i and can hit it 120 on the screws. I’m very protective of her swing but am curious of your thoughts!

Here is a pic of one of the holes at Thornberry

x7fdc8yvsrsw.jpeg

• Like 1

> @"rich s" said:

> > @J295 said:

> > Rich. Just found this thread. Super cool. Congrats and enjoy

>

> Welcome to the madness!

>

> Had a blast today. Played well, scored good and just enjoyed playing with my buddy who happens to be an animal on the golf course. We finished 14 under. Really beautiful course. It’s a lpga tour stop and it’s easy but gorgeous. Time to take a few days off to let my mind and body heal before I make a good run at the 2’s.

>

> I thought you all might want to see Ella’s current swing. Here she is with a 7i and can hit it 120 on the screws. I’m very protective of her swing but am curious of your thoughts!

>

>

>

> Here is a pic of one of the holes at Thornberry

>

> x7fdc8yvsrsw.jpeg

>

Big improvement in her motion. Closed blade player at the top. Stalls her pivot on the way down if she gets her lower body going better that 7i goes 155 very soon.

WITB:

Let's talk wedges. This has been such a evolution in my game. My goal when this thread started with my wedges was to eliminate the big miss. The big miss is hitting a full shot thin and sending it 50 yards over the green. I found a 3/4 swing I was comfortable with and just used different clubs to control distances. This got me on the green but not super close to the hole from 50-115 yards out.

I still use that system but added a 1/2 swing. I don't use my 60 much outside 50 yards as it is a 4 degree bounce.

1/2 swing:

54- 50 yds

PW- 75 yards

3/4 swing:

54-65 yards

PW-90 yards

9i- 100 yards

From there I vary trajectory to control distances as well as choke down on the club. Inside 50 I go by feel and this has developed a lot lately. I had shankitis for a few weeks in the middle of the year on the 3/4 shots as I was standing too close to the ball. What I like about this system is I don't have a big miss. From inside of 115 I am on the green. The biggest weakness currently is 100-115 when I don't have much green to work with. A few weeks ago I started hitting my 54 degree wedge full and controlling distance by ball position (same as all my irons). It has gone well and I might take out a hybrid and add a 50 to help with these shots too.

The only other thing I will mention is that this Snell MTB Black is the perfect ball for my irons/wedges as it it always very close to my pitch mark. ProV1 spun too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Golf is a crazy game. Lost my swing just recently and that led to me losing my drive to play. Yesterday I played some bad golf in a scratch scramble with some decent $$ involved. I was topping my irons as well as hitting them fat. We tied for 5th but if I would have been on we had a shot at winning it. My swing felt so un-natural and horrible. My driver, wedges and putting were good. My hybrids and irons were that of a 30 capper. I have my last league match tomorrow and I am leading in points but due to losing the last two weeks, my lead is slim at best.

After the scramble I headed to my home course to work on this. Pressed the reset button, dropped every expectation and just swung smooth. Still crap lol. I went back to the basics and focused on set-up and the feel that Dan gave me originally when I went to see him. I was making good contact but pulling it. Finally I started to make exaggerated swing were I swung out to the right as much as I could. Played the last 4 holes one under. Fingers crossed I am fixed. I think what this did was get my hip turn deeper in the backswing. Swing felt natural again. I will play 18 tonight and see. I just want you all to know its not all tulips and daisies in Rich S land.

I swear this game can bring such joy and complete devastation in the same week. I just did not think the wheels could ever fall off like they have lately.

• Like 1

> @"rich s" said:

>

> I swear this game can bring such joy and complete devastation in the same week.

There is no higher high than when the light comes on and you can't miss all of the sudden.

Last weekend at my club championship I hit 24/36 greens and had 58 putts. I average 8.7 GIR & 31.2 putts per 18. It was the best golf of my life by far, and included smashing my previous 18-hole low by 3 strokes.

And there is no lower low than when the light goes back out and you have to start searching for it again. "Maybe I'm standing too close?... Maybe I need to bend my knees a little more?... Maybe I need to move the ball a little further back?..."

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

> @"rich s" said:

> On my way to throw my clubs in the dump I thought I would play one last round. Fired off a one under 71. Man I love this game! Trending at a 3.0... :O

And just like that, you're back!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

This was the best day of my golfing life! Last week of league tonight. They split it into halves. I won both halves, league mvp but that’s not the big news. For anyone bored enough to follow this thread for a while, the title at the beginning of the year was the road to break the 3’s. I was a 6.2 when this year began. As of tonight’s entry of 76, I am trending at a 2.9!!

This has been my main goal all year. It feels unreal :) So that’s Rich S’s journey. It can be done. I won’t tie up this board anymore unless something major happens down the road. Thanks for the encouragement along the way. Best of luck to all of you on the remainder of your seasons

apdszjl9n9gi.png

• Like 2

• rich_s2 changed the title to Rich S: shot my low round and won