Bag 14 Club Selection

davidslfc

Hi

Recently joined after browsing for a few weeks, nice to see the active posts and members on a forum these days. I recently got back into golf and just wondering what everyone's club selection looks like to make up to 14 clubs.

I'm currently using D>3W>4Hybrid>5-9>PW>GW.. and the obvious putter. So I've got 3 slots left to fill.

The irons I've currently got are the cobra f8s so the lofts are a bit different than the "norm" My 4hybrid is at 21degrees whilst the next club up, my 5 iron is at 22.5. Is it worth getting a long iron for inbetween the 3W>Hybrid or just replacing the hybrid with a lower loft. Currently my 3W is set at 16degrees but its rare i use it off the deck, mainly only for tee shots. So for any other fairway shot the highest club I've got is the hybrid. The obvious choice would be a 5 wood but I'm not consistent enough to be using them off the deck comfortably.

The f8 wedges are strong degrees and can see buying a 54 wedge will be beneficial, but not sure what to do about the other two slots. Feel like the top end of the bag is lacking.

Apart from maybe going PW(44) > GW(49) > 54 wedge, not sure what other clubs to fit my bag..

Appreciate any help.

Dave

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a strong 5 wood (G400 adjusted down a degree) as my only FW, I find it serves pretty well. I hit it well enough that I am not sure a 3W helps, on the courses I play. I would think a SW, whether it is 54 or 56, and a LW (if you can hit it) would fit in. I find it easier to hit my 60 75-80 yards than to try to take a bit off a SW. Of course, everyone is different. The other one? Look for your weakness, perhaps. Sand drives me made, so I filled my last spot with a Cleveland Smart Sole 3.0 S last week. The darn thing works, for me. I "hear" the thought that it's a cheater, but it's legal, and there is room in my bag, so I am not going to feel bad about it. I'm not very good, but those are my thoughts. Another hybrid is also a valid thought, but depending on how you hit the 5I, I might look a replacing that, rather than adding another long club. How often are you saying, "I wish I had a 3H?" Does it fill a need for you, with your skill, where you play?

Thinking about it, I think that's where the answer lies. When you are playing, what club(s) do you find missing the most?

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

I have a weirder setup than most probably. I have Driver, and then everything else is irons. 2-iron thru PW. Then my GW which is bent to 50 degrees, my SW which is 55 degrees, and LW which is 60.

Most of the time the lack of a 3W and 5W isn't a huge deal. Especially at my home course where it's only 6200 yards from the blues. But I can't really get on a lot of par 5's in 2. But having the 2-iron and 3-iron off the tee comes in very handy.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

My setup:

Driver, 3 & 5 wood, 3i-9i, PW (48), SW (56), LW (60), Putter.

I sometimes swap my 3i for a 3hy. depends on the course. I don't really hit either very solid and sometimes I just keep them both out of the bag and add a 52 wedge. Short game is more important to me than distance shots. Drive for show, putt for dough.

First of all, figure out the situation with the 3W, set to 16°. You are in 4W territory with loft... any chance the 3W shaft is too long? I would suggest you visit a fitter and make sure the FW head design, length and head weighting is what you need for your swing. A golf instructor could also check out your set-up and swing to make sure that's not the problem.

A good lesson costs less than a good club, and lesson can take out a lot of trial-and-error of buying/trying this club and that.

As @jlbos83 , a 5W might work as a single FW. Extra loft would increase spin, which **increases both launch height and distance** if you have average clubhead speed. Or, you could go 4W + 7W...

As far as a 3H goes, test one out and make sure you can hit it. Not everyone can use a 3H off the deck.

Two FWs and one Hybrid (your current 4H), or one FW and 2 Hybrids... it depends in part on which you like best, higher lofted FWs or hybrids.

And you definitely should be to add a SW (again, see jlbos83 above). You need something that will pop the ball out of the sand, and can also be used for shaggy greenside pitch shots.

LW or lob wedge... our herd will give you varying advice on this. I would suggest you fill the first two slots and hold off next year on LW... it is an unusual club, and takes extra practice to master. There's no penalty for carrying only 13 clubs!

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @Joelsim said:

> Two wedges and a 3H.

Driver, wedges, putter....that’s the most important. I’ve always thought the rest is fluff...lol. The hybrid can be a really useful piece of fluff though. They are so versatile and can really save some strokes here and there. Fill your wedge gaps for sure though. Wasting shots if you don’t.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

Well most definitely you need a higher lofted wedge such as a 54. On the top end of the bag you need something to fill the space after your 4 hybrid.

How far do you hit it? Your length may determine whether the 3rd club is another in the top or bottom of your bag. If you per say, hit a 3 hybrid 230 yards, you may not need anything else there and a lob wedge would help around the greens. If on the other hand a 3 hyrbid goes 190 yards, you will need something for 200+.

It all depends what you need in your arsenal - there's 13 with an extra wedge and long club but the 14th can be either.

Have fun

> @rt_charger said:

> Well most definitely you need a higher lofted wedge such as a 54. On the top end of the bag you need something to fill the space after your 4 hybrid.

>

> How far do you hit it? Your length may determine whether the 3rd club is another in the top or bottom of your bag. If you per say, hit a 3 hybrid 230 yards, you may not need anything else there and a lob wedge would help around the greens. If on the other hand a 3 hyrbid goes 190 yards, you will need something for 200+.

>

> It all depends what you need in your arsenal - there's 13 with an extra wedge and long club but the 14th can be either.

>

> Have fun

I’d say you needed a 54* and a 58* at the very least. And then another club TBC at the high end of your bag potentially whether it’s a hybrid, a utility or a wood.

> @davidslfc said:

> Hi

> Recently joined after browsing for a few weeks, nice to see the active posts and members on a forum these days. I recently got back into golf and just wondering what everyone's club selection looks like to make up to 14 clubs.

> I'm currently using D>3W>4Hybrid>5-9>PW>GW.. and the obvious putter. So I've got 3 slots left to fill.

> The irons I've currently got are the cobra f8s so the lofts are a bit different than the "norm" My 4hybrid is at 21degrees whilst the next club up, my 5 iron is at 22.5. Is it worth getting a long iron for inbetween the 3W>Hybrid or just replacing the hybrid with a lower loft. Currently my 3W is set at 16degrees but its rare i use it off the deck, mainly only for tee shots. So for any other fairway shot the highest club I've got is the hybrid. The obvious choice would be a 5 wood but I'm not consistent enough to be using them off the deck comfortably.

>

> The f8 wedges are strong degrees and can see buying a 54 wedge will be beneficial, but not sure what to do about the other two slots. Feel like the top end of the bag is lacking.

> Apart from maybe going PW(44) > GW(49) > 54 wedge, not sure what other clubs to fit my bag..

>

> Appreciate any help.

>

> Dave

>

If you generally make good contact with long irons then I would possibly go with an easy to hit driving iron like the Srixon U85. They are easy to hit off the deck, and are money off the tee when driver is just too much. And with all of the loft option you could find the one to fit that gap between your hybrid and 3 wood.

As for the other 2 spots I would fill it with wedges. A 54 and a 58 would be a popular choice for gapping.