> > @Rohlio said:

> > > @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > > > @grantc79 said:

> > > > > @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > > > > > @grantc79 said:

> > > > > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > > > > As for the black/white attitude and

> > > > >

> > > > > C’mon, Grant, put some skin in the game! You bet someone in 2012 that you’d get to scratch in a year. Why not take a stand here? You don’t even have to get to scratch to apply for these qualifiers and par in the qualifiers should be easy for you by then.

> > > >

> > > > I'm down but I think most of those tournaments have already taken place

> > >

> > >

> > > You’ll have to wait until 2020.

> > >

> > > US Open local qualifiers will be in April and May 2020. You need a handicap of 1.4 or less.

> > >

> > > US Mid Am qualifiers will take place in August 2020. You need a handicap of 3.4 or less.

> > >

> > > You should look up the applications and become familiar with the requirements and the due dates for the applications.

> > >

> > > Again, context is you get into both qualifiers and shoot par or under in each qualifier.

> > >

> > > Anyone want to start setting odds?

> >

> > Their is no chance of this. There is a huge difference between becoming a scratch handicap and a tournament scratch, particularly in a tourney as difficult as those you mentioned.

> >

> > Best of luck to anybody willing to try but that is a crazy bar to try and clear. Breaking par in several of the local qualifiers would put you in the top 5...I will give 100-1 against this up to $10k

>

> So if I understand you right, if I wager 10k that I shoot par in one of those qualifiers and pull it off you owe me a mil?

> Thats 100 to 1 on 10,000

>

> 1,000,000............

>

No I will put up to $10k against your $100 that you can't break par in a regional us open qualifed and in the us mid am both. Sorry if I worded it poorly.

• Like 1

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

> @Rohlio said:

> > @grantc79 said:

> > > @Rohlio said:

> > > > @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > > > > @grantc79 said:

> > > > > > @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > > > > > > @grantc79 said:

> > > > > > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > > > > > As for the black/white attitude and

> > > > > >

> > > > > > C’mon, Grant, put some skin in the game! You bet someone in 2012 that you’d get to scratch in a year. Why not take a stand here? You don’t even have to get to scratch to apply for these qualifiers and par in the qualifiers should be easy for you by then.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm down but I think most of those tournaments have already taken place

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > You’ll have to wait until 2020.

> > > >

> > > > US Open local qualifiers will be in April and May 2020. You need a handicap of 1.4 or less.

> > > >

> > > > US Mid Am qualifiers will take place in August 2020. You need a handicap of 3.4 or less.

> > > >

> > > > You should look up the applications and become familiar with the requirements and the due dates for the applications.

> > > >

> > > > Again, context is you get into both qualifiers and shoot par or under in each qualifier.

> > > >

> > > > Anyone want to start setting odds?

> > >

> > > Their is no chance of this. There is a huge difference between becoming a scratch handicap and a tournament scratch, particularly in a tourney as difficult as those you mentioned.

> > >

> > > Best of luck to anybody willing to try but that is a crazy bar to try and clear. Breaking par in several of the local qualifiers would put you in the top 5...I will give 100-1 against this up to $10k

> >

> > So if I understand you right, if I wager 10k that I shoot par in one of those qualifiers and pull it off you owe me a mil?

> > Thats 100 to 1 on 10,000

> >

> > 1,000,000............

> >

>

> No I will put up to $10k against your $100 that you can't break par in a regional us open qualifed and in the us mid am both. Sorry if I worded it poorly.

Just need 99 more participants and Grant can put up $10K for a shot at a cool $1M.

• Like 2

> @Krt22 said:

> 6 out of 63 shot par or better at the Regional qualifier in LA. Easy peezy

They are all hacks...not like the field was full of former D1 players who have been playing to scratch since they were 14 years old or anything...

<----- Managed to qualify for the Oregon AM one year....failed 5 times prior. Couldn't even sniff 90 in a US Open qualifier or the Mid Am.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

> @Rohlio said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > 6 out of 63 shot par or better at the Regional qualifier in LA. Easy peezy

>

> They are all hacks...not like the field was full of former D1 players who have been playing to scratch since they were 14 years old or anything...

>

> <----- Managed to qualify for the Oregon AM one year....failed 5 times prior. Couldn't even sniff 90 in a US Open qualifier or the Mid Am.

I've caddied for a few guys who tried the us open qualifier.

Realistically a lot of it depends on where it is some courses around here are easy to rig up hard and some are pretty defenseless.

That said I'm not playing the field I'm playing for par.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @grantc79 said:

> > @Rohlio said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > 6 out of 63 shot par or better at the Regional qualifier in LA. Easy peezy

> >

> > They are all hacks...not like the field was full of former D1 players who have been playing to scratch since they were 14 years old or anything...

> >

> > <----- Managed to qualify for the Oregon AM one year....failed 5 times prior. Couldn't even sniff 90 in a US Open qualifier or the Mid Am.

>

> I've caddied for a few guys who tried the us open qualifier.

>

> Realistically a lot of it depends on where it is some courses around here are easy to rig up hard and some are pretty defenseless.

>

> That said I'm not playing the field I'm playing for par.

>

>

I think the idea is to beat old man par, not play for par.

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @Rohlio said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > 6 out of 63 shot par or better at the Regional qualifier in LA. Easy peezy

>

> They are all hacks...not like the field was full of former D1 players who have been playing to scratch since they were 14 years old or anything...

>

> <----- Managed to qualify for the Oregon AM one year....failed 5 times prior. Couldn't even sniff 90 in a US Open qualifier or the Mid Am.

2 top 100 instructors and the Alcatraz device are clearly the missing link

• Like 1

**OP Ignore, I read on and saw that you are not using that device anymore. Good luck with your pursuits this year! I wish you well.

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @airjammer said:

> > You can play your way to scratch but the problem with that is you just learn to manage your flaws but not actually fix them. Time and time again you see posts here asking for help to fix flaws that plagues them when they stop playing so much. So if you can keep play a bunch for the foreseeable future, follow your friends suggestions.

> >

> > One final thought..the only ones that I have ever seen play scratch golf despite a major “flaw” were golfers that played golf since being a young kid and played a lot while they were kids. All of your pro friends have great swings and probably always had a functional swing so of course they say just practice short game.

> >

> >

>

> There are so many pros with less than perfect swings. The pros who perform at the top have the most consistent swing. Look at Furyk who is 11th in scoring average this year. From 2 inches behind the ball to 2 inches in front, his position is near perfect. Kuchar who is 6th in scoring average doesn't have an idea swing. DJ who is 3rd in scoring plays with a cupped wrist. I think managing a consistent swing is way more important than having a perfect swing.

You just threw out three guys who have great swings and made it sound like they just "swing their swing" and somehow get the ball to go straight. Their swings are money... like fucking money. Don't fill this mans head up thinking he can stand up, get steep and have no face control all the way to being a scratch golfer as long as he's being "consistent" about it.

In search of solid contact...

> @grantc79 said:

> Let me be clear to throw a baseball to throw a football to do any of these things is a bent back leg that you are loading into and pushing off of

>

> You are essentially creating a spring

>

> Explain to me how releasing tension from that spring will generate more power

>

> Tony finau is a perfect example of how you need to be more efficient not longer if you take someone who straightens their back leg and rotates their hip in order to get a longer swing they will not generate more power they will simply have a longer swing

Longer swing/longer club actually generates more clubhead speed. You won't find long drivers with short swings for that reason. The club is like a lever arm. The further you get it away from the ball the longer it has to accelerate and you'll hit it further. So from a distance standpoint, get a longer club, find a way to make a longer swing and hit it in the center of the face and you'll hit it longer. Forget the spring bullshit. This isn't swing theory, it's science. Now if you want to hit it more efficiently.......

> @drewtaylor21 said:

> > @grantc79 said:

> > > @drewtaylor21 said:

> > > > @grantc79 said:

> > > > The guys I mentioned they don't do it exactly where their knees and hips don't move but they are definitely trending that way where it's less hip rotation and less straightening of the legs

> > > >

> > > > **If we can all agree that creating power comes from the legs then please name me a situation in which to generate power you would straighten your legs**

> > > >

> > > > if you wanted to throw the football or baseball farther would you straighten your back leg in order to take the football back farther behind your head

> > >

> > > Well, jumping, running, cutting/driving laterally to name a few....really every fundamental lower body movement involves flexing and extending the major joints of the lower extremity!

> > > OP, I love the opportunity you have ahead of you, but if your teacher is telling you to actively resist lower body rotation, I'd run far far away while your back is still pain-free!

>

> >

> > Actually both the top 100 rated teachers near me are advocates of it ?

>

> That's unfortunate, but I hope you will look more objectively at evidence instead of a very subjective award handed out that has very little to do with actual teaching success. My suggestion here is to simply look at players who are the best at hitting it long and straight and ask yourself if what you've decided to do makes sense. Here are the top 3 drivers of the ball from 2019. Would you say the trail knee has stayed flexed, or has it extended in the backswing? Do these players look to be actively restricting hip turn?

> qkc9ivf4lnhs.png

> y92q0d8w0mx7.png

> ai5g546999y2.png

>

>

> Next, since you brought up the idea that we know more about how the body works now, ask yourself this: If you don't allow the hips to rotate, what has to rotate more in order to attain a sufficiently long backswing? I'll tell you - it's the next segment above the hips, the lumbar spine. The lumbar spine is NOT meant to be a rotational segment of the body, it is designed for stability (largest, widest vertebrae). Again, my only suggestion is to think for yourself with this. Do you think it is wise to limit a (hip) joint that is designed for massive range of motion in exchange for more movement in a segment (lumbar spine) that is not designed for rotation?

> Finally, you mentioned above the idea that creating a spring or coil adds to speed/power, and I'd agree. My confusion is why would you not then maximize everything that could coil in the backswing to unleash it in the downswing? Throwing and hitting a golf ball are VERY different physical motions, but take a look at one of your examples here, specifically at the trail hip joint - can you see the pretty significant amount of internal rotation that has taken place in the "backswing" (windup)? I'd say it looks pretty similar to our friend Bubba at the top of his backswing.... Do you think it would be wise to tell Aroldis to limit this rotation?

> ujkulea7zczc.png

There are a lot of possible reasons Chapman throws it 100+ MPH. I swear people in golf look at baseball players for trying to find the secret sauce for power and think they've found it. I understand the concept, but also know it's not just hip rotation, jumping off the ground, etc that allows him or someone else throw that hard. Go find Ichiro and tell me why he had the arm he had from the outfield. It wasn't just efficient body movements. Some guys have amazing arms and you can analyze their body movements all you want, but it's not going to tell the entire story.

> @"Lefty Light HItter" said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @airjammer said:

> > > You can play your way to scratch but the problem with that is you just learn to manage your flaws but not actually fix them. Time and time again you see posts here asking for help to fix flaws that plagues them when they stop playing so much. So if you can keep play a bunch for the foreseeable future, follow your friends suggestions.

> > >

> > > One final thought..the only ones that I have ever seen play scratch golf despite a major “flaw” were golfers that played golf since being a young kid and played a lot while they were kids. All of your pro friends have great swings and probably always had a functional swing so of course they say just practice short game.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > There are so many pros with less than perfect swings. The pros who perform at the top have the most consistent swing. Look at Furyk who is 11th in scoring average this year. From 2 inches behind the ball to 2 inches in front, his position is near perfect. Kuchar who is 6th in scoring average doesn't have an idea swing. DJ who is 3rd in scoring plays with a cupped wrist. I think managing a consistent swing is way more important than having a perfect swing.

>

> You just threw out three guys who have great swings and made it sound like they just "swing their swing" and somehow get the ball to go straight. Their swings are money... like **** money. Don't fill this mans head up thinking he can stand up, get steep and have no face control all the way to being a scratch golfer as long as he's being "consistent" about it.

Never said anything about them hitting the ball straight. your words, not mine. Do they have great swings, no. Consistent swings, yes. You won't see a pro teaching Furyk's swing to anyone. Kuchar hits a pull fade and is laid off at the top. Just read what his swing coach, Chris O'Connell said.

You should go look at Bruce Lietktze's swing and results. He faded the ball, never practiced and won 13 times on tour. Ideal swing? No. One of the most consistent swings ever, heck yeah.

Teaching someone to stand the shaft up in the back swing to lay it back down on the downswing has been taught by many I'm sure.

What the fuck is a great swing then if making millions of dollars at the highest level isn't? I've seen Bruce Lietktze's swing and don't have any issues with it (remember I'm over here talking about golf while he made a good living playing golf). I probably wouldn't tell someone who comes way over the top and already hits weak pull slices to emulate it, but if you're stuck, way in to out and shanking it, emulating it would be beneficial.

Show me better looking impact points than Furyk or Johnson.... I'll wait.

Gasp.... Matt Kuchar hits a pull fade. That's such a terrible shot! Everyone knows the only acceptable ball flight is a push draw!

> Teaching someone to stand the shaft up in the back swing to lay it back down on the downswing has been taught by many I'm sure.

>

> What the **** is a great swing then if making millions of dollars at the highest level isn't? I've seen Bruce Lietktze's swing and don't have any issues with it (remember I'm over here talking about golf while he made a good living playing golf). I probably wouldn't tell someone who comes way over the top and already hits weak pull slices to emulate it, but if you're stuck, way in to out and shanking it, emulating it would be beneficial.

>

> Show me better looking impact points than Furyk or Johnson.... I'll wait.

>

> Gasp.... Matt Kuchar hits a pull fade. That's such a terrible shot! Everyone knows the only acceptable ball flight is a push draw!

You must have missed the part where he said their impact was near perfect... His point was obvious to the rest of us that as long as a good repeatable impact position happens than the rest is not that important.

> You can't have a bad swing and get to a "near perfect" impact consistently. That's the point. It's not bad if it produces that.

I think you missed the point. Not trying to be difficult just saying you should read what he said again.

Back on topic, Grant you making anymore progress?

> You can't have a bad swing and get to a "near perfect" impact consistently. That's the point. It's not bad if it produces that.

You shouldn’t hide your insights in this thread. You should start your own thread so it better highlights what you have to offer.

Go for it!

> @"rich s" said:

> > @"Lefty Light HItter" said:

> > You can't have a bad swing and get to a "near perfect" impact consistently. That's the point. It's not bad if it produces that.

>

> I think you missed the point. Not trying to be difficult just saying you should read what he said again.

>

> Back on topic, Grant you making anymore progress?

Some things getting better some getting worse typical of swing changes.

Got fitted for a putter on the SAM Lab. Aimed my old putter great but had waaay too much offset which was leading to the lefts. Path was good so we didn't work on the stroke just got a putter I aimed as well with a lot less offset. Putting a lot better, not where I need to be but no longer a 3 putt machine and making some 10+ footers.

Chipping around the green is still a struggle mainly from a course management standpoint. Getting way too aggressive and leaving myself downhill putts or 5 or 6 footers that should be 2-4 footers. Thats the low hanging fruit for me right now.

Shot 38 on the front on Sunday with a back breaker double bogey on 9. Horrible stance on the edge of the bunker tried to hit the miracle shot and left myself in the face of the bunker.

Improving, but still a ways to go.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

Depends on one's definition of a "bad swing" I guess. Furyk has an ugly ass swing. Moe Norman has possibly the most fugly, odd swing of all time and he was arguably the greatest ball striker of all time.

I think the point is you need good speed, club path, club face control, and impact points on the face. If you have all of that then you have a great swing, even if it looks like ass. If you don't have those 4 things then you can have a pretty swing to look at, but it isn't a great swing.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

• 2 weeks later...

> @Krt22 said:

> Solid round man! What changed? What are you currently working on?

> @badboggs said:

> What was the SAM fitting like. I've been wanting to try that.

The Sam fitting was very good basically I had switched to an armlock putter to try to help me with putting but it wasn't really solving the problem

My problem wasn't The yips so to speak as much as it was clubface and my arm-lock putter had a ton of offset which was leading to very very very shut face putts

New putter is a standard putter no longer arm locking but has a lot less offset so I'm able to hit lines a lot better the Sam lab was very informative

As far as what I've been working on I've been doing a lot of the circle drills where I'm going around the whole trying to make 3/4 and 5 footers

Also working on chipping a lot around the greens trying to land chips on a towel from different locations and different heights if you follow

Also I'm now playing a cut off the tee

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

Another subtle change that I have made and this I think it's just me learning how to play

Around the green I'm putting the hole completely out of my mind

I'm using the hole to teach me where to land the ball and for reading putts but after that I'm no longer looking at the hole at all I'm now focused completely on where I want my ball to land on chips and I'm completely focused on the outermost breakpoint of putz and my aiming point for pots as opposed to the hole itself

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60