2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Played behind a BIG hitter yesterday

tatertot

Playing at a local muni ... fourseome in front of us was waiting till the group in front of them was off greens before they drove ... finally, on the 6th hole, guy in front us waves up our twosome. He says ...

"Watch this ... here's why we have to wait so long to hit. This guys hits it 400 hundred." And he holds up 4 fingers, just in case we were too stupid to understand what 400 meant.

Well, the guy hit it 400 - about 175 forward and 225 to the right.

And this continued for the next 12 holes. Plus, the guy would often bring multiple club for tee shots - an iron, a "normal" driver, and his "long drive" driver.

On the 7th hole, he even went to the pro shop to get a drink, to show how long he had to wait before he could drive.

On one hole, he was literally 3 holes right of his own fairway ... honestly, the safest place to be would have been in the center of his fairway.

He hit one "good" drive ... on 17 .... it was dead straight, maybe 300. Unfortunately, the hole is a 90º dogleg.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I didn't know Pepper played muni's

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard Ion 63x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @tatertot said:

> Playing at a local muni ... fourseome in front of us was waiting till the group in front of them was off greens before they drove ... finally, on the 6th hole, guy in front us waves up our twosome. He says ...

>

> "Watch this ... here's why we have to wait so long to hit. This guys hits it 400 hundred." And he holds up 4 fingers, just in case we were too stupid to understand what 400 meant.

>

> Well, the guy hit it 400 - about 175 forward and 225 to the right.

>

> And this continued for the next 12 holes. Plus, the guy would often bring multiple club for tee shots - an iron, a "normal" driver, and his "long drive" driver.

>

> On the 7th hole, he even went to the pro shop to get a drink, to show how long he had to wait before he could drive.

>

> On one hole, he was literally 3 holes right of his own fairway ... honestly, the safest place to be would have been in the center of his fairway.

>

> He hit one "good" drive ... on 17 .... it was dead straight, maybe 300. Unfortunately, the hole is a 90º dogleg.

>

>

Apologies for holding you up Tot. But did you see that shot on 17?

• Like 2

Funniest part was ... after the drive on 6, the guy's friend yells ...

"DOWN THE MIDDLE?" - after it was obviously push-sliced off the planet ... and the guy simply says -

"No, no it's not."

We had a guy like this in front of us at PGA National Champion once. Waiting on the 4th hole for the green to clear, some 360 out. Well know hole that some guys used to go for . .VJ, Camilo etc

Had a big knee brace and a bicycle kick follow thru. Had to wait for the green to clear as he "doesn't know how far he's hitting it right now"

Absolutely smoked one. Chest puffed out. He was at the 100 plate or thereabouts, CLOWN SHOW

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard Ion 63x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

BIG mistake bragging on the BIG hitter who may not keep it on the planet. We have a guy like that in our club but he won't claim anywhere near 400 nor does he hit it near 400. Mostly it is other people talking about how long he hits it where he will chime in 'if it goes straight'. Nice guy. When he is on it is a thing of beauty but when he is off you just hope it stays on the course. Never talk up the BIG hitter with control issues until they hit one big.

Some people are such clowns and have literally no idea how far they hit the ball. Everyone under the age of 45 thinks they hit the ball "280-300" so when someone is longer than them they wet themselves a little thinking they just got paired with Rory, DJ, or Koepka. In reality, the people are lucky to hit it 250 let alone 280 and the person who is actually half way long is more in the 265-280 camp. Literally my life as a golf big box employee summed up in this one post. When they come in to "smack a few drivers" and see <250 they default automatically to the screen or camera being wrong and they proceed to tell you how they played this one hole and they had 100 yards left and the card says 450. I learned long ago to just smile and say yup, the machines are sometimes 10% short of what you would normally get and just walk away and let them think they are some big shot. Heaven forbid they ever buy a wedge from this decade though or spend more than $150 on a putter when most have no problems spending $300+ on a driver they slice just as poorly as they did the one before.

• Like 2

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

My home course has a 300 yard par 4 with a ditch just short. Risk/reward for the truly long guys as its almost all carry to get there.

The male ego/obliviousness truly shines here as this is where most of the traffic backs up when the 20 handicappers wait for the green to clear and don't even get it within 80 yards of the ditch.

> @phatchrisrules said:

> Some people are such clowns and have literally no idea how far they hit the ball. Everyone under the age of 45 thinks they hit the ball "280-300" so when someone is longer than them they wet themselves a little thinking they just got paired with Rory, DJ, or Koepka. In reality, the people are lucky to hit it 250 let alone 280 and the person who is actually half way long is more in the 265-280 camp. Literally my life as a golf big box employee summed up in this one post. When they come in to "smack a few drivers" and see <250 they default automatically to the screen or camera being wrong and they proceed to tell you how they played this one hole and they had 100 yards left and the card says 450. I learned long ago to just smile and say yup, the machines are sometimes 10% short of what you would normally get and just walk away and let them think they are some big shot. Heaven forbid they ever buy a wedge from this decade though or spend more than $150 on a putter when most have no problems spending $300+ on a driver they slice just as poorly as they did the one before.

What I get at my local big box store is jacked up numbers with my 7 iron suddenly carrying 20+ yards more than it does on the course.

> @HatsForBats said:

> > @phatchrisrules said:

> > Some people are such clowns and have literally no idea how far they hit the ball. Everyone under the age of 45 thinks they hit the ball "280-300" so when someone is longer than them they wet themselves a little thinking they just got paired with Rory, DJ, or Koepka. In reality, the people are lucky to hit it 250 let alone 280 and the person who is actually half way long is more in the 265-280 camp. Literally my life as a golf big box employee summed up in this one post. When they come in to "smack a few drivers" and see <250 they default automatically to the screen or camera being wrong and they proceed to tell you how they played this one hole and they had 100 yards left and the card says 450. I learned long ago to just smile and say yup, the machines are sometimes 10% short of what you would normally get and just walk away and let them think they are some big shot. Heaven forbid they ever buy a wedge from this decade though or spend more than $150 on a putter when most have no problems spending $300+ on a driver they slice just as poorly as they did the one before.

>

> What I get at my local big box store is jacked up numbers with my 7 iron suddenly carrying 20+ yards more than it does on the course.

Exactly....i thought those machines inflated the numbers to get you to like the clubs. They would never cheat you on distance or direction.

> @Hellstorm said:

> It's easy to judge but who knows where to draw the line. If he hits one straight into the people in front, then they are upset. The people waiting are upset. The people 3 fairways over are upset. If he hits a house the home owners are upset. A guy just can't catch a break.

>

As a golfer, you need to take some responsibility. You can't just rip away and have a ball flying every which way and not think there won't be consequences.

I somewhat get him wanting to wait, but there's also that whole reading the room situation and perhaps he needs to just tee off with something else on a busy course. We have a guy in our group, who we've been trying to get into the long drive world, who will easily launch drives in the 350-400 range when he catches it. It's not always straight but it's generally in the boundaries of the hole we're playing on. If we're playing a busy course we finally told him that anything 420 and under he has to pull out a 4 iron and tee off with that unless he can figure out another way to not slow us down that doesn't involve killing the group in front of us.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @Yuck said:

> I have also seen the opposite. The ball flies into a group 320 yards away, and the player says “I never hit it that far”. Who is more likely to hurt someone.?

Over time? Probably the guy who sprays and prays on the course.

Likely the guy hitting it 320 will never do it again.

Just don’t hit into people and keep pace! I’ve played with many many accomplished players and exactly 2 average 300yrs off the tee. These are Tour players as well. When you actually play with one of these guys your LONG drives will very quickly become what they are, 240yrs. Heck, it even sounds different!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I played with a guy here in SD who carried his normal driver and his long drive driver that "he used solely for competition" but definitely had to show us "just once" on every par 5. The dude couldn't find a fairway with it but kept telling who he has long drive records of over 370 yards at sea level. All you can do sometimes is congratulate them and move on...I didnt want to spend 30 minutes waiting for him to try and connect on one that was really going to only get out there 250.

> @Hellstorm said:

> It's easy to judge but who knows where to draw the line. If he hits one straight into the people in front, then they are upset. The people waiting are upset. The people 3 fairways over are upset. If he hits a house the home owners are upset. A guy just can't catch a break.

>

That used to be my problem. Age took care of that. Haven't hit a house in years.

• Like 1

> @Hellstorm said:

> > @HatsForBats said:

> > > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > Some people are such clowns and have literally no idea how far they hit the ball. Everyone under the age of 45 thinks they hit the ball "280-300" so when someone is longer than them they wet themselves a little thinking they just got paired with Rory, DJ, or Koepka. In reality, the people are lucky to hit it 250 let alone 280 and the person who is actually half way long is more in the 265-280 camp. Literally my life as a golf big box employee summed up in this one post. When they come in to "smack a few drivers" and see <250 they default automatically to the screen or camera being wrong and they proceed to tell you how they played this one hole and they had 100 yards left and the card says 450. I learned long ago to just smile and say yup, the machines are sometimes 10% short of what you would normally get and just walk away and let them think they are some big shot. Heaven forbid they ever buy a wedge from this decade though or spend more than $150 on a putter when most have no problems spending $300+ on a driver they slice just as poorly as they did the one before.

> >

> > What I get at my local big box store is jacked up numbers with my 7 iron suddenly carrying 20+ yards more than it does on the course.

>

> Exactly....i thought those machines inflated the numbers to get you to like the clubs. They would never cheat you on distance or direction.

Nope, not at the store I worked at. I don't even think there is a setting to change the wind/elevation. Who is going to be more PO'd, the guy who drops $1000+ on an iron set that gets told he is hitting 7i 190 on the fly and goes out to play and everything is falling 25y of target or the guy who sees 245 on the screen total and buys the driver anyways and then outside suddenly gains their "yardage" back and just tells his buddies the screen is short? I'd much rather smile and nod than uselessly inflate an ego.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

> @Hellstorm said:

> > @HatsForBats said:

> > > @phatchrisrules said:

> > > Some people are such clowns and have literally no idea how far they hit the ball. Everyone under the age of 45 thinks they hit the ball "280-300" so when someone is longer than them they wet themselves a little thinking they just got paired with Rory, DJ, or Koepka. In reality, the people are lucky to hit it 250 let alone 280 and the person who is actually half way long is more in the 265-280 camp. Literally my life as a golf big box employee summed up in this one post. When they come in to "smack a few drivers" and see <250 they default automatically to the screen or camera being wrong and they proceed to tell you how they played this one hole and they had 100 yards left and the card says 450. I learned long ago to just smile and say yup, the machines are sometimes 10% short of what you would normally get and just walk away and let them think they are some big shot. Heaven forbid they ever buy a wedge from this decade though or spend more than $150 on a putter when most have no problems spending $300+ on a driver they slice just as poorly as they did the one before.

> >

> > What I get at my local big box store is jacked up numbers with my 7 iron suddenly carrying 20+ yards more than it does on the course.

>

> Exactly....i thought those machines inflated the numbers to get you to like the clubs. They would never cheat you on distance or direction.

Nope, not at the store I worked at. I don't even think there was a setting to tinker with the wind/elevation, or at least I never knew about it and used the machine for close to a decade. Who is going to be more PO'd, the person who bought an iron set and was told they are carrying 7i 180 but outside it falls woefully short all the time/someone buying a driver being told they gained 30 yards when they are still landing on the same spot/still close to the people they normal play with or the person who thinks they are a long hitter only to be shown not so much who then suddenly "gains their distance back" when they play outside? My money is the iron/driver guy being pretty PO'd versus the pseduo-ego-long-driver.

> @Mcgeeno said:

> My home course has a 300 yard par 4 with a ditch just short. Risk/reward for the truly long guys as its almost all carry to get there.

>

> The male ego/obliviousness truly shines here as this is where most of the traffic backs up when the 20 handicappers wait for the green to clear and don't even get it within 80 yards of the ditch.

>

>

At my father's home course there is a 270ish Par 4 with a bunker right off the fringe short of the green, maybe 5 yards wide total. Always backs up as everyone, literally 98% of players, pulls driver and waits for the green to clear......only to leave it short of the bunker or trickle in at most. To be fair if there is wind it's usually a headwind.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

I had a sort of opposite experience years ago, playing a solo round at an unfamiliar course. I caught up to a twosome who were waiting on all the foursomes ahead so they invited me to join up with them for the last 5-6 holes. I'm ashamed to say, being the uncharitable fellow that I am, I was kind of expecting them to hack it around. They simply didn't look like "golfers" but more like a couple guys in scruffy jeans sneaking out from work to play golf on a Tuesday afternoon.

Turns out they were practicing for an upcoming alternate-shot tournament. So they were alternating shots (including the tee shots, not the kind where you both hit off the tee then pick one). The played those 5-6 holes in even par, one birdie and one bogey, which is amazing considering the format. One guy was a sort of musclebound ex-high-school lineman jock type, the other was a skinny guy about 5'6".

Anyway, next to last hole was a slightly downhill Par 3 playing 160-something yards with a big bunker in front of the green. I've got a 7-wood in my hand because I wanted no part of that bunker. The big guy hits one right over the flagstick, flies the green and ends up on a steep bank leading up to the next tee. He hit that shot at least 180 in the air and tells his partner, "Pitching wedge". So i go back and grab a 5-iron which of course I plug under the lip of the bunker.

The skinny guy tells me, "Don't ever, ever pay attention to what club this guys uses. He's a beast".

Gee, thanks for the advice...30 seconds too late.

Rest of the story. The skinny guy plays a Mickelson full-swing lob wedge off the downslope of the embankment (out of 2" rough) and hits it to 10 feet. The big guy makes the putt. Ho-hum, another par.

And there I was thinking *they* were going to be a couple of Gomers. Yikes! Lesson learned. I have met the Gomer and he is Me.

• Like 1

I played in a two day higher end charity scramble and one buddy said he got his nephew who is a “competitor in the Remax long drive circuit” to play with us. The guy is around 30, 6’3” or so and has a bag with a normal Callaway driver and a Krank driver for competition.

If you’ve ever watched the long drive competitions you know where this is going. In two days we used one of his drives. Granted it was when he drove the fringe on a 405 hole, but other than a 280 yard par 4 hole he hit with an iron he could have stayed home. Control was non existent and I cringed every time he hit a drive. No one on the course was safe.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

> @lookylookitzadam said:

> I played with a guy here in SD who carried his normal driver and his long drive driver that "he used solely for competition" but definitely had to show us "just once" on every par 5. The dude couldn't find a fairway with it but kept telling who he has long drive records of over 370 yards at sea level. All you can do sometimes is congratulate them and move on...I didnt want to spend 30 minutes waiting for him to try and connect on one that was really going to only get out there 250.

I have played with these guys before ... before the round they state something to the effect of "I'm not hitting driver today, this course just isn't long enough."

And then, multiple times, during the round they act like we've been begging him to hit and say "I guess I'll just hit it once ... you know, to let the big dog eat."

And they crank one OB.

I've played with BIG HITTERS ... guys that rip it 350 routinely. And they don't say a thing. They just hit.

I had a guy (in his mid 60s) come into the pro shop one day and ask me about changing his shafts from R to X because he regularly hits it 300. I asked how he knew this and he replied "the score card says #8 is 500 yards from the white tees and I am regularly hitting my second shot from the 200 yard marker".

The next time he came in, he asked again about changing shafts. I loaned him a rangefinder and told him to shoot this tree that is near the 200 yard marker from the white tee box. He came back in with a dejected look on his face and said "I shot that tree from the white tees and it was 240 yards". He wasn't happy.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

> @phatchrisrules said:

> Some people are such clowns and have literally no idea how far they hit the ball. Everyone under the age of 45 thinks they hit the ball "280-300" so when someone is longer than them they wet themselves a little thinking they just got paired with Rory, DJ, or Koepka. In reality, the people are lucky to hit it 250 let alone 280 and the person who is actually half way long is more in the 265-280 camp. Literally my life as a golf big box employee summed up in this one post. When they come in to "smack a few drivers" and see <250 they default automatically to the screen or camera being wrong and they proceed to tell you how they played this one hole and they had 100 yards left and the card says 450. I learned long ago to just smile and say yup, the machines are sometimes 10% short of what you would normally get and just walk away and let them think they are some big shot. Heaven forbid they ever buy a wedge from this decade though or spend more than $150 on a putter when most have no problems spending $300+ on a driver they slice just as poorly as they did the one before.

I'm pretty sure I have a crush on you.

• Like 1

> @phatchrisrules said:

This is 100% correct here. I know it's the WRX way so some won't buy it, but I do hit the ball longer than the average golfer. (I know, I know, everyone here hits its over 300) I usually get one good drive a round up near around 300 or over with the rollout but I typically drive the ball around 280ish give or take when I hit it solid. I used to play a lot of rounds by myself so I've been paired up with strangers quite a few times.

It's amazing how many guys you run into on the golf course who truly think they drive the ball 270-300 yards. I once played with a guy that after I hit a good drive and we got up to my ball he said: "wow you must've hit that 340, 350". I reply to him, no that's more like 280ish. He says "no way it can't be, I usually drive it 270 and you're 40 yards past me! I pull out my range finder and laser the cart sitting next to the tee box we just came from......277 yards away.

I pretty much deflated his sails and his ego for the rest of his golfing career.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0
3 wood - Cobra F8
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
Wedges - Vokey SM5 50°, Cleveland Zipcore 54°, Cleveland Zipcore 58°
Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab 3