Pros Playing Less- Why?

SkiSchoolPro

Yeah agreed that it's the money - Els used to refer the wheelbarrow time for the period between the major seasons, but these days they don't need to bother filling up the wheelbarrow between seasons because they'll get so much from just playing a handful of key tournaments.

One images now that most pros are playing the minimum they are obliged to (tour rules, card qualification, or OWGR min divisor) rather than for the money, which is now a given.

> @tatertot said:

> It's their job ... would you want to spend more or less time at your job?

This. If you're in the top 20, you're doing OK money-wise, so that's not an issue. I'm guessing some of these guys actually get burned out with the travel and pressure, and relish the chance to step away for longer periods.

Money, simple as, the top guys have so much of it they can pick and choose which events they want to play

If prize money was $250,000 each week they would play most weeks

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

> @Superbrit said:

> Money, simple as, the top guys have so much of it they can pick and choose which events they want to play

> If prize money was $250,000 each week they would play most weeks

You are assuming the the OP is correct. What stats do you have to support the thought that the top guys are playing less today?

Can't finish the buffets even if one wish to take it all in. When a professional get to a stage of in contention every time steps on the first tee. He needs to contemplate where to best put his effort instead of entering every opportunity to get to the top 125 for the rosters next season. That's for the rookies and the ones on the cutting line.

Conservation seemed to be the theme. From injury and battle fatigue.

A smart competitor will pick and choose his battle ground.

Nicklaus did it too, probably down to wanting to focus energy on the more prestigious events> @Shilgy said:

> > @lowheel said:

> > > @Shilgy said:

> > > See Jack

> >

> > > @KRAMER1997 said:

> > > It's so that they don't burnout by the end of the year. Sungjae Im has played 31 events this year including 9 straight weeks from the Heritage to Colonial and he only had 2 top 20 finishes and four finishes outside the top 50. In 31 tournaments he has 6 top 10s and 9 MC's but sits at 25 in the FEC rankings because top 10s carry more weight than mixed cuts, but boy is he going to be tired at the end of August.

> >

> > Vijay Singh played 30 a year for like 10-12 years...

>

> One year he played 30 PGA Tour events. Probably over 30 with a few overseas events.

>

> But, Vijay was definitely an exception, and exceptional. Most top players play somewhat limited schedules. Say 20 events or so. They're not grinding to keep their cards and it's less about being satisfied with money earned than keeping fresh and having the best possible results when they do play.

Vijay probably hits less balls in the weeks he is competing, the man loves to practice.

> @tdeutmeyer said:

> I wish the top 20 were required to play every week. This would not be much different than other professional sports. TV ratings would be better also.

They are independent contractors and not tour employees. They only need to meet the requirements to maintain a card. Mandating something takes away their ability to be independent contractors

> @SkiSchoolPro said:

> I believe Tiger started the trend of top pros in their prime playing fewer tournaments. I attribute it to:

> 1. More non-golf work going into maximizing your golf game. I.e. gym work and other cross-training.

> 2. More Travel.

> 3. More sponsor and other commitments.

> 4. More $.

>

> Thoughts?

>

> > @canonlbp430 said:

> > I think part of it is the top guys don't play many events anymore. Of the top 20 guys in the Fed Ex there are only 4 that have played over 20 events currently (Charles Howell, Tony Finau, Chez Reavie). Most of the rest will end 21-22 starts after the playoffs. It seems like the top 5 or so used to max out a little over 20 starts but now you have almost all of the top 20-30 players planning on playing less than 23 times per year.

>

>

Jack Nicklaus started the trend of top players playing less regular tournaments and focussing on the majors.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @tdeutmeyer said:

> > I wish the top 20 were required to play every week. This would not be much different than other professional sports. TV ratings would be better also.

>

> They are independent contractors and not tour employees. They only need to meet the requirements to maintain a card. Mandating something takes away their ability to be independent contractors

>

Ok whatever. The tour should require the Top 20 independent contractors to play every week. Those not in the top twenty just have to maintain a card....

Players get to be Independent contractors, and also receive a large retirement pension from the Tour. Sounds like a great way of life.

Regular joes who play this game on the weekends with buddies have no clue what these guys go through on a weekly basis to get ready for these tournaments. With practice, travel, media commitments, sponsor commitments, and the actual tournaments themselves, its easy to see why guys are taking more and more time off....especially guys with families and young children who either can't travel or don't travel much at all. Anyone who travels a lot for business can probably vouch for the fact that constantly being on the road sucks. Add the pressure to perform...yikes. Can't imagine what its like for the guys on the FexExCup bubble right now as they try to keep their cards for next year. It truly is a difference of several hundred thousands of dollars in a year in earnings if you can be exempt on the PGA Tour and play even remotely decent as opposed to having to play the Korn Ferry Tour and try to sponsor exempt your way into a few PGA Tour events each year.

> @tdeutmeyer said:

> I wish the top 20 were required to play every week. This would not be much different than other professional sports. TV ratings would be better also.

In other professional leagues, you are contracted to an employer (your team). PGA Tour players are independent contractors. The PGA Tour is not an employer...it is a schedule of professional tournaments open to those who qualify. The PGA Tour sets guidelines on what you need to do to be eligible for its tournaments, and its up to each player to fulfill those requirements.

TV ratings for golf are low because its not a sport that is exciting to watch on TV for the casual sports fan. Its a niche sport. Other than maybe the Masters or the US Open, it gets no major mainstream media attention throughout the year.

Most pros are going to play 25 weeks or more a year after you add other events such as the Ryder Cup. That is a full schedule, I don't know why anyone would claim otherwise.> @tdeutmeyer said:

LOL.....on the road 6 days a week for something like 45+ weeks a year. Longest season of any professionals sports.

Great plan.

> @JaNelson38 said:

> Regular joes who play this game on the weekends with buddies have no clue what these guys go through on a weekly basis to get ready for these tournaments. With practice, travel, media commitments, sponsor commitments, and the actual tournaments themselves, its easy to see why guys are taking more and more time off....especially guys with families and young children who either can't travel or don't travel much at all. Anyone who travels a lot for business can probably vouch for the fact that constantly being on the road sucks. Add the pressure to perform...yikes. Can't imagine what its like for the guys on the FexExCup bubble right now as they try to keep their cards for next year. It truly is a difference of several hundred thousands of dollars in a year in earnings if you can be exempt on the PGA Tour and play even remotely decent as opposed to having to play the Korn Ferry Tour and try to sponsor exempt your way into a few PGA Tour events each year.

>

> > @tdeutmeyer said:

> > I wish the top 20 were required to play every week. This would not be much different than other professional sports. TV ratings would be better also.

>

> In other professional leagues, you are contracted to an employer (your team). PGA Tour players are independent contractors. The PGA Tour is not an employer...it is a schedule of professional tournaments open to those who qualify. The PGA Tour sets guidelines on what you need to do to be eligible for its tournaments, and its up to each player to fulfill those requirements.

>

> TV ratings for golf are low because its not a sport that is exciting to watch on TV for the casual sports fan. Its a niche sport. Other than maybe the Masters or the US Open, it gets no major mainstream media attention throughout the year.

Nailed it

> @ray9898 said:

> Most pros are going to play 25 weeks or more a year after you add other events such as the Ryder Cup. That is a full schedule, I don't know why anyone would claim otherwise.> @tdeutmeyer said:

>

> LOL.....on the road 6 days a week for something like 45+ weeks a year. Longest season of any professionals sports.

> Great plan.

The players that can't hang with that schedule for whatever reason fall below the top 20 and can play whatever schedule they want. I don't see what the issue is. This way, fans always get to see the 20 current hottest players + others every week. You for sure would not see as many "seasons over" comments. Just my thoughts.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @SkiSchoolPro said:

> > I believe Tiger started the trend of top pros in their prime playing fewer tournaments. I attribute it to:

>

> Not true. Jack averaged less than 17 tournaments per year from 1966 - 1986.

>

Valid point about Jack...did notice that he played less than Palmer and Watson after I made the OP. However, he averaged more than 19 PGA Tour events from 1962-1978 (17 year streak of multiple PGA Tour wins)...Yeah he won the Masters in '86 at age 46, but I consider the years I quoted as more his prime than the years you quoted. Also, I know he played some abroad (6 time winner of the Australian Open), that might not of counted as official PGA Tour events. (Yes, Tiger and others play non-PGA events also but WGCs count in their PGA total).

Don't have the stats to back up @canonlbp430 quote, but I suspect he is correct. Maybe if I get more time, will try to research it...

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @JaNelson38 said:

> > Regular joes who play this game on the weekends with buddies have no clue what these guys go through on a weekly basis to get ready for these tournaments. With practice, travel, media commitments, sponsor commitments, and the actual tournaments themselves, its easy to see why guys are taking more and more time off....especially guys with families and young children who either can't travel or don't travel much at all. Anyone who travels a lot for business can probably vouch for the fact that constantly being on the road sucks. Add the pressure to perform...yikes. Can't imagine what its like for the guys on the FexExCup bubble right now as they try to keep their cards for next year. It truly is a difference of several hundred thousands of dollars in a year in earnings if you can be exempt on the PGA Tour and play even remotely decent as opposed to having to play the Korn Ferry Tour and try to sponsor exempt your way into a few PGA Tour events each year.

> >

> > > @tdeutmeyer said:

> > > I wish the top 20 were required to play every week. This would not be much different than other professional sports. TV ratings would be better also.

> >

> > In other professional leagues, you are contracted to an employer (your team). PGA Tour players are independent contractors. The PGA Tour is not an employer...it is a schedule of professional tournaments open to those who qualify. The PGA Tour sets guidelines on what you need to do to be eligible for its tournaments, and its up to each player to fulfill those requirements.

> >

> > TV ratings for golf are low because its not a sport that is exciting to watch on TV for the casual sports fan. Its a niche sport. Other than maybe the Masters or the US Open, it gets no major mainstream media attention throughout the year.

>

> Nailed it

And if you always had the current top 20 players playing, it would for sure generate more excitement.

I get it, it is a tough grind. So what. If they can't maintain a top 20 position, they can play whenever they want.

> @tdeutmeyer said:

> > @GoGoErky said:

> > > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > Regular joes who play this game on the weekends with buddies have no clue what these guys go through on a weekly basis to get ready for these tournaments. With practice, travel, media commitments, sponsor commitments, and the actual tournaments themselves, its easy to see why guys are taking more and more time off....especially guys with families and young children who either can't travel or don't travel much at all. Anyone who travels a lot for business can probably vouch for the fact that constantly being on the road sucks. Add the pressure to perform...yikes. Can't imagine what its like for the guys on the FexExCup bubble right now as they try to keep their cards for next year. It truly is a difference of several hundred thousands of dollars in a year in earnings if you can be exempt on the PGA Tour and play even remotely decent as opposed to having to play the Korn Ferry Tour and try to sponsor exempt your way into a few PGA Tour events each year.

> > >

> > > > @tdeutmeyer said:

> > > > I wish the top 20 were required to play every week. This would not be much different than other professional sports. TV ratings would be better also.

> > >

> > > In other professional leagues, you are contracted to an employer (your team). PGA Tour players are independent contractors. The PGA Tour is not an employer...it is a schedule of professional tournaments open to those who qualify. The PGA Tour sets guidelines on what you need to do to be eligible for its tournaments, and its up to each player to fulfill those requirements.

> > >

> > > TV ratings for golf are low because its not a sport that is exciting to watch on TV for the casual sports fan. Its a niche sport. Other than maybe the Masters or the US Open, it gets no major mainstream media attention throughout the year.

> >

> > Nailed it

>

> And if you always had the current top 20 players playing, it would for sure generate more excitement.

> I get it, it is a tough grind. So what. If they can't maintain a top 20 position, they can play whenever they want.

That’s why there is the 25 event rule if anyone chooses not to play an event they haven’t played in 3 or 4 years so that other events get the top players. I think most people forget how much of a grind it is to travel, play 6 days a week, do sponsor obligations and so on. Requiring players in the top 20 to play 36 events a year doesn't make any sense and how good do you think they would perform after 5-6 weeks straight, plus you would lose several who have to play 12 events on the euro tour to be eligible for the Ryder cup.

Also how would feel about being away from your family/home for 36 weeks straight?

> The players that can't hang with that schedule for whatever reason fall below the top 20 and can play whatever schedule they want. I don't see what the issue is. This way, fans always get to see the 20 current hottest players + others every week. You for sure would not see as many "seasons over" comments. Just my thoughts.

LOL...ok.

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @tdeutmeyer said:

> > > @GoGoErky said:

> > > > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > > Regular joes who play this game on the weekends with buddies have no clue what these guys go through on a weekly basis to get ready for these tournaments. With practice, travel, media commitments, sponsor commitments, and the actual tournaments themselves, its easy to see why guys are taking more and more time off....especially guys with families and young children who either can't travel or don't travel much at all. Anyone who travels a lot for business can probably vouch for the fact that constantly being on the road sucks. Add the pressure to perform...yikes. Can't imagine what its like for the guys on the FexExCup bubble right now as they try to keep their cards for next year. It truly is a difference of several hundred thousands of dollars in a year in earnings if you can be exempt on the PGA Tour and play even remotely decent as opposed to having to play the Korn Ferry Tour and try to sponsor exempt your way into a few PGA Tour events each year.

> > > >

> > > > > @tdeutmeyer said:

> > > > > I wish the top 20 were required to play every week. This would not be much different than other professional sports. TV ratings would be better also.

> > > >

> > > > In other professional leagues, you are contracted to an employer (your team). PGA Tour players are independent contractors. The PGA Tour is not an employer...it is a schedule of professional tournaments open to those who qualify. The PGA Tour sets guidelines on what you need to do to be eligible for its tournaments, and its up to each player to fulfill those requirements.

> > > >

> > > > TV ratings for golf are low because its not a sport that is exciting to watch on TV for the casual sports fan. Its a niche sport. Other than maybe the Masters or the US Open, it gets no major mainstream media attention throughout the year.

> > >

> > > Nailed it

> >

> > And if you always had the current top 20 players playing, it would for sure generate more excitement.

> > I get it, it is a tough grind. So what. If they can't maintain a top 20 position, they can play whenever they want.

>

> That’s why there is the 25 event rule if anyone chooses not to play an event they haven’t played in 3 or 4 years so that other events get the top players. I think most people forget how much of a grind it is to travel, play 6 days a week, do sponsor obligations and so on. Requiring players in the top 20 to play 36 events a year doesn't make any sense and how good do you think they would perform after 5-6 weeks straight, plus you would lose several who have to play 12 events on the euro tour to be eligible for the Ryder cup.

>

> Also how would feel about being away from your family/home for 36 weeks straight?

You are right. It would be nearly impossible to stay in the top 20 and be required to play for long periods of time. Thus, the top 20 ranking of players would change weekly and we as fans would always get to see the "best current" players competing. I suppose it may become a curse to be good and have to play, but eventually the player would fall out of the top 20 and then could relax. Now that I think of it, the Tour is already doing a shorter version of what I suggested with the race to the FedEx Cup.

> @SkiSchoolPro said:

> Valid point about Jack...did notice that he played less than Palmer and Watson after I made the OP. However, he averaged more than 19 PGA Tour events from 1962-1978 (17 year streak of multiple PGA Tour wins)...Yeah he won the Masters in '86 at age 46, but I consider the years I quoted as more his prime than the years you quoted. Also, I know he played some abroad (6 time winner of the Australian Open), that might not of counted as official PGA Tour events. (Yes, Tiger and others play non-PGA events also but WGCs count in their PGA total).

>

> Don't have the stats to back up @canonlbp430 quote, but I suspect he is correct. Maybe if I get more time, will try to research it...

I just don't see any stats that would support the idea that the top golfers are playing less.

Almost all of them start out playing at a high level, then reduce to a more sustainable level.

Jack: 1st four years averaged 24 PGA tour events, then dropped to less than 18 until age 40.

Spieth: Averaged less than 24 and still is playing that number.

McIlroy is playing more PGA Tour events (probably fewer Euro events) now than his first four years.

Phil has averaged over 22 events during the past three years.

DJ has averaged over 20 during the past six years with no sign of reducing.

Day has averaged 20 events over the past five years with no sign of reducing.

So who is playing fewer events????????

I told my boss I was going to start working less, but wanted more money. He just walked away. I’m taking that as a yes.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.