"Some of this new crop of players could have gone professional in other sports but chose golf"

Wesquire

Seeing more comments like this. Who are they talking about? I cant think of any players that would fit in on a professional sports team other than maybe DJ and Koepka in baseball. Players are more fit now, but let's not get ridiculous.

Titleist TSi3 8° - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

Titleist TS3 15° - HZRDUS Black (Hand Crafted) 70TX

Titleist 818 H2 19° - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Ping i200 - SteelFiber i125x

Edison - SteelFiber i125s

LAB DF 2.1 Armlock - LAGP

Snell MTB-X

Koepka admitted himself he wasn’t good at baseball, which is why he turned to golf.

DJ would have to play PG in the NBA because he is short for a basketball player (lol good luck with that).

Nobody on tour could play any other sport professionally, or they would have. Golf doesn’t pay well enough for a real athlete to choose it over other major sports.

> @Llortamaisey said:

> Video games are now considered sports and you can go pro. Some nerd just won a cool $3 mill for playing fortnite while eating boogers. Maybe that’s the sport some golfers could have done well at.

It takes a lot more time than real sports. Most esports players spend close to 14 hours per day practicing, and they live in "team houses" with their teammates.

Snell MTB-X

> @mjen43 said:

> Koepka admitted himself he wasn’t good at baseball, which is why he turned to golf.

>

> DJ would have to play PG in the NBA because he is short for a basketball player (lol good luck with that).

>

> Nobody on tour could play any other sport professionally, or they would have. **Golf doesn’t pay well enough for a real athlete to choose it over other major sports**.

Malarkey when you factor in endorsements and longevity.

A top golfer has higher earning potential than any top football, basketball, baseball, hockey player because their career can last 40 years and they are prime endorsers.

• Like 1

> @straightshot7 said:

> > @mjen43 said:

> > Koepka admitted himself he wasn’t good at baseball, which is why he turned to golf.

> >

> > DJ would have to play PG in the NBA because he is short for a basketball player (lol good luck with that).

> >

> > Nobody on tour could play any other sport professionally, or they would have. **Golf doesn’t pay well enough for a real athlete to choose it over other major sports**.

>

> Malarkey when you factor in endorsements and longevity.

>

> A top golfer has higher earning potential than any top football, basketball, baseball, hockey player because their career can last 40 years and they are prime endorsers.

>

LeBron's career earnings + endorsements are like $2 billion

Snell MTB-X

> @Wesquire said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > > @mjen43 said:

> > > Koepka admitted himself he wasn’t good at baseball, which is why he turned to golf.

> > >

> > > DJ would have to play PG in the NBA because he is short for a basketball player (lol good luck with that).

> > >

> > > Nobody on tour could play any other sport professionally, or they would have. **Golf doesn’t pay well enough for a real athlete to choose it over other major sports**.

> >

> > Malarkey when you factor in endorsements and longevity.

> >

> > A top golfer has higher earning potential than any top football, basketball, baseball, hockey player because their career can last 40 years and they are prime endorsers.

> >

>

> LeBron's career earnings + endorsements are like $2 billion

You mean 40 years from now?

They aren't even close to that right now....reportedly he will go over $1 billion once his Laker contract is paid out. Where did you get $2 billion?

But obviously I'm talking about the average top player, not #1 from each sport. Though Tiger is more than all of them if you want to go there.

I didn't mean to say "any" or mean it literally. I know LeBron makes a lot of money. But what I meant is over the course of their entire career, a top golfer will make more than a comparable level player of another sport.

> @straightshot7 said:

> > @Wesquire said:

> > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > Koepka admitted himself he wasn’t good at baseball, which is why he turned to golf.

> > > >

> > > > DJ would have to play PG in the NBA because he is short for a basketball player (lol good luck with that).

> > > >

> > > > Nobody on tour could play any other sport professionally, or they would have. **Golf doesn’t pay well enough for a real athlete to choose it over other major sports**.

> > >

> > > Malarkey when you factor in endorsements and longevity.

> > >

> > > A top golfer has higher earning potential than any top football, basketball, baseball, hockey player because their career can last 40 years and they are prime endorsers.

> > >

> >

> > LeBron's career earnings + endorsements are like $2 billion

>

> You mean 40 years from now?

>

> They aren't even close to that right now....

>

> But obviously I'm talking about the average top player, not #1 from each sport. Though Tiger is more than all of them if you want to go there.

They are absolutely that right now. The actual numbers on a lot of his endorsements are not public, but his lifetime Nike endorsement alone was leaked to be $1 billion. That plus his salaries and other endorsements puts him at nearly 2 billion. Lifetime he will probably be in the $2.5 to $3 billion range. He has already made more than Tiger.

Snell MTB-X

> @Wesquire said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > > @Wesquire said:

> > > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > > Koepka admitted himself he wasn’t good at baseball, which is why he turned to golf.

> > > > >

> > > > > DJ would have to play PG in the NBA because he is short for a basketball player (lol good luck with that).

> > > > >

> > > > > Nobody on tour could play any other sport professionally, or they would have. **Golf doesn’t pay well enough for a real athlete to choose it over other major sports**.

> > > >

> > > > Malarkey when you factor in endorsements and longevity.

> > > >

> > > > A top golfer has higher earning potential than any top football, basketball, baseball, hockey player because their career can last 40 years and they are prime endorsers.

> > > >

> > >

> > > LeBron's career earnings + endorsements are like $2 billion

> >

> > You mean 40 years from now?

> >

> > They aren't even close to that right now....

> >

> > But obviously I'm talking about the average top player, not #1 from each sport. Though Tiger is more than all of them if you want to go there.

>

> They are absolutely that right now. The actual numbers on a lot of his endorsements are not public, but his lifetime Nike endorsement alone was leaked to be $1 billion. That plus his salaries puts him at nearly 2 billion. Lifetime he will probably be in the $2.5 to $3 billion range.

Source? And you think they pay out the lifetime value of a contract up front?

You said "LeBron's career earnings + endorsements are like $2 billion" as if he's already collected that

Still, admittedly, LeBron makes a ton. I know that.

My point was the earning potential in golf is high because of the longevity and endorsement potential, and a lack of money is not why athletes choose not to be golfers.

> @straightshot7 said:

> > @Wesquire said:

> > > > @Wesquire said:

> > > > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > > > Koepka admitted himself he wasn’t good at baseball, which is why he turned to golf.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > DJ would have to play PG in the NBA because he is short for a basketball player (lol good luck with that).

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Nobody on tour could play any other sport professionally, or they would have. **Golf doesn’t pay well enough for a real athlete to choose it over other major sports**.

> > > > >

> > > > > Malarkey when you factor in endorsements and longevity.

> > > > >

> > > > > A top golfer has higher earning potential than any top football, basketball, baseball, hockey player because their career can last 40 years and they are prime endorsers.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > LeBron's career earnings + endorsements are like $2 billion

> > >

> > > You mean 40 years from now?

> > >

> > > They aren't even close to that right now....

> > >

> > > But obviously I'm talking about the average top player, not #1 from each sport. Though Tiger is more than all of them if you want to go there.

> >

> > They are absolutely that right now. The actual numbers on a lot of his endorsements are not public, but his lifetime Nike endorsement alone was leaked to be $1 billion. That plus his salaries puts him at nearly 2 billion. Lifetime he will probably be in the $2.5 to $3 billion range.

>

> Source? And you think they pay out the lifetime value of a contract up front?

>

> You said "LeBron's career earnings + endorsements are like $2 billion" as if he's already collected that

>

> Still, admittedly, LeBron makes a ton. I know that.

>

> My point was the earning potential in golf is high because of the longevity and endorsement potential, and a lack of money is not why athletes choose not to be golfers.

>

I didn't say it was paid up front, but it is already locked in. I believe they will be paying it until he is in his 60s.

Snell MTB-X

> @PZero said:

> That was originally in a PGA Tour commercial regarding Rickie Fowler and being a pro motocross rider.

Is that considered a sport?

Snell MTB-X

> @straightshot7 said:

> > @Wesquire said:

> > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > Koepka admitted himself he wasn’t good at baseball, which is why he turned to golf.

> > > >

> > > > DJ would have to play PG in the NBA because he is short for a basketball player (lol good luck with that).

> > > >

> > > > Nobody on tour could play any other sport professionally, or they would have. **Golf doesn’t pay well enough for a real athlete to choose it over other major sports**.

> > >

> > >

> > > A top golfer has higher earning potential than any top football, basketball, baseball, hockey player because their career can last 40 years and they are prime endorsers.

> > >

> >

>

> You mean 40 years from now?

>

> They aren't even close to that right now....reportedly he will go over $1 billion once his Laker contract is paid out. Where did you get $2 billion?

>

> But obviously I'm talking about the average top player, not #1 from each sport. Though Tiger is more than all of them if you want to go there.

>

> I didn't mean to say "any" or mean it literally. I know LeBron makes a lot of money. But what I meant is over the course of their entire career, a top golfer will make more than a comparable level player of another sport.

No way. NBA max is now ~$35M/year, and the supermax is ~$45M. 100th on the baseball career salary list is $116M; 100th on the PGA Tour money list is $16M.

Kicking it around on the senior tour and pumping Adams hybrids doesn’t come close to making up that difference.

> @Wesquire said:

> Seeing more comments like this. Who are they talking about? I cant think of any players that would fit in on a professional sports team other than maybe DJ and Koepka in baseball. Players are more fit now, but let's not get ridiculous.

Not good on the same level. But several of the swedish pros did very well on junior level in ice hockey. And the Korda girls I guess swings tennis rackets a good deal better than average. But admitted, none of the top golf pros would have gone on to take a olympic shot put gold medal.

> @Wesquire said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > > @mjen43 said:

> > > Koepka admitted himself he wasn’t good at baseball, which is why he turned to golf.

> > >

> > > DJ would have to play PG in the NBA because he is short for a basketball player (lol good luck with that).

> > >

> > > Nobody on tour could play any other sport professionally, or they would have. **Golf doesn’t pay well enough for a real athlete to choose it over other major sports**.

> >

> > Malarkey when you factor in endorsements and longevity.

> >

> > A top golfer has higher earning potential than any top football, basketball, baseball, hockey player because their career can last 40 years and they are prime endorsers.

> >

>

> LeBron's career earnings + endorsements are like $2 billion

LeBron is a once in a generation transcendent athlete, the only person worth comparing to him is Tiger, who I imagine has/had comparable wealth. Let's not pretend that golf is not incredibly well paid at the top level.

And I'd rather be a Charles Howell knocking out 2 or 3m a year under very little scrutiny to a starter at a top sport team and the pressure that brings. Howell can also keep going until he's 50 and then continue making good money on a Champions Tour where other sports have players done not long after 30.

> @straightshot7 said:

> > @mjen43 said:

> > Koepka admitted himself he wasn’t good at baseball, which is why he turned to golf.

> >

> > DJ would have to play PG in the NBA because he is short for a basketball player (lol good luck with that).

> >

> > Nobody on tour could play any other sport professionally, or they would have. **Golf doesn’t pay well enough for a real athlete to choose it over other major sports**.

>

> Malarkey when you factor in endorsements and longevity.

>

> A top golfer has higher earning potential than any top football, basketball, baseball, hockey player because their career can last 40 years and they are prime endorsers.

>

Nailed it. I'd also say that most of the top guys on tour are "real athletes" if that's actually a term you can use.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

> @Wesquire said:

> Seeing more comments like this. Who are they talking about? I cant think of any players that would fit in on a professional sports team other than maybe DJ and Koepka in baseball. Players are more fit now, but let's not get ridiculous.

I agree. It is ridiculous and it denigrates golf.

Why is it ridiculous? Forget golfers going two-way. How many two-sport professional athletes have we ever seen in history? Bo. Deion. MJ and Tebow (if you count their minor league forays into baseball). There may be others, but the list is not long. Why should professional golfers be expected to be any different.

Why does it denigrate golf? Because it implies that golf is not a real sport. Golfers are real athletes. Just like auto racers, bowlers, those British dart guys, jockeys, etc. Get a professional athlete in any sport and give them a golf club. The results can be very funny. Some professional athletes can become accomplished golfers (hockey players come to mind, Romo, Curry), but they're not PGA professional golfers.

The two-sport professional athlete is largely a myth.

> @cdnglf said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > > @Wesquire said:

> > > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > > Koepka admitted himself he wasn’t good at baseball, which is why he turned to golf.

> > > > >

> > > > > DJ would have to play PG in the NBA because he is short for a basketball player (lol good luck with that).

> > > > >

> > > > > Nobody on tour could play any other sport professionally, or they would have. **Golf doesn’t pay well enough for a real athlete to choose it over other major sports**.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > A top golfer has higher earning potential than any top football, basketball, baseball, hockey player because their career can last 40 years and they are prime endorsers.

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > You mean 40 years from now?

> >

> > They aren't even close to that right now....reportedly he will go over $1 billion once his Laker contract is paid out. Where did you get $2 billion?

> >

> > But obviously I'm talking about the average top player, not #1 from each sport. Though Tiger is more than all of them if you want to go there.

> >

> > I didn't mean to say "any" or mean it literally. I know LeBron makes a lot of money. But what I meant is over the course of their entire career, a top golfer will make more than a comparable level player of another sport.

>

> No way. NBA max is now ~$35M/year, and the supermax is ~$45M. 100th on the baseball career salary list is $116M; 100th on the PGA Tour money list is $16M.

>

> Kicking it around on the senior tour and pumping Adams hybrids doesn’t come close to making up that difference.

>

>

>

>

Agreed the NBA is just crazy now. Highest average salary in the history of pro sports plus guaranteed contracts.

Joe Johnson made 200M in his career and he was never a top 10 player.

A #1 overall pick now with shoe deals and contracts could easily earn 500m in his career . A guy like Jamal Murray in Denver could earn close to 400M by the time he's 32-33 even if he doesn't make an all star team

Plus is Guaranteed! Nothing comes close to basketball. The 25th best player in the league will make more in 15 years than koepka will in his career

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @Dave230 said:

> > @Wesquire said:

> > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

> LeBron is a once in a generation transcendent athlete, the only person worth comparing to him is Tiger, who I imagine has/had comparable wealth. Let's not pretend that golf is not incredibly well paid at the top level.

>

> And I'd rather be a Charles Howell knocking out 2 or 3m a year under very little scrutiny to a starter at a top sport team and the pressure that brings. Howell can also keep going until he's 50 and then continue making good money on a Champions Tour where other sports have players done not long after 30.

Charles Howell is 19th on the pga tour career money list with $38m in official money. Incredibly well-paid? Sure. As well paid as guys in the big four North American leagues? Not even close.

19th on the career MLB earnings list is Ryan Howard, at $180M. 19th on the NBA list is Luol Deng, at $156M. NFL, Trent Williams, $95M. NHL, Patrice Bergeron, $84M. The difference is vast, and nowhere near offset by endorsements, longer careers, or the relative chump change of the Champions Tour.

Also, the team sports have more and better-paying management, coaching, and broadcasting jobs for ex-players. I mean... there are probably more NFL “analysts” alone than there are Champions Tour cards.

> @Wesquire said:

> > @PZero said:

> > That was originally in a PGA Tour commercial regarding Rickie Fowler and being a pro motocross rider.

>

> Is that considered a sport?

Lol. More so than video games. And has been for 40-50 years.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @cdnglf said:

> > @Dave230 said:

> > > @Wesquire said:

> > > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > LeBron is a once in a generation transcendent athlete, the only person worth comparing to him is Tiger, who I imagine has/had comparable wealth. Let's not pretend that golf is not incredibly well paid at the top level.

> >

> > And I'd rather be a Charles Howell knocking out 2 or 3m a year under very little scrutiny to a starter at a top sport team and the pressure that brings. Howell can also keep going until he's 50 and then continue making good money on a Champions Tour where other sports have players done not long after 30.

>

> Charles Howell is 19th on the pga tour career money list with $38m in official money. Incredibly well-paid? Sure. As well paid as guys in the big four North American leagues? Not even close.

>

> 19th on the career MLB earnings list is Ryan Howard, at $180M. 19th on the NBA list is Luol Deng, at $156M. NFL, Trent Williams, $95M. NHL, Patrice Bergeron, $84M. The difference is vast, and nowhere near offset by endorsements, longer careers, or the relative chump change of the Champions Tour.

>

> Also, the team sports have more and better-paying management, coaching, and broadcasting jobs for ex-players. I mean... there are probably more NFL “analysts” alone than there are Champions Tour cards.

>

>

Forbes list of best paid sportspeople of all-time has 4 golfers in the top 6 (Tiger, Palmer, Nicklaus and Mickelson) alongside Jordan and Schumacher. The earning long-term potential of golf is very lucrative and accumulates over the years if you're smart with it. Tiger is behind Jordan but he probably cost himself $400-500m with injuries and the sex scandal, if he'd had a more durable career like Mickelson (with the same number of wins Tiger has) in the top 50 for 25 years he would have been miles ahead.

> @Wesquire said:

> > @PZero said:

> > That was originally in a PGA Tour commercial regarding Rickie Fowler and being a pro motocross rider.

>

I'd say its more a sport than the "esports" AKA playing video games you were > @bladehunter said:

> > @Wesquire said:

> > > @PZero said:

> > > That was originally in a PGA Tour commercial regarding Rickie Fowler and being a pro motocross rider.

> >

> > Is that considered a sport?

>

> Lol. More so than video games. And has been for 40-50 years.

> @Wesquire said:

> > @PZero said:

>

Video games = sport

Motocross = not a sport

h1087h4d44lk.jpg

TS3 9.5* Ventus  Black 60X
TS3 15*  Ventus Black 80X
716 TMB 3 C-Taper Lite X
718 AP2 4-9 KBS Tour X
SM7 47* 51* 55* 59* KBS Tour X
Milled 8802 w SS Pistol GT 2.0

> @Lagavulin62 said:

> Why all the disrespect? BK, DJ, and prob even Rory would be star linebackers anywhere in the NFL. Golf gives them more time to spend with family at the best resorts worldwide. It’s not just about them.

Linebackers? Lol

Maybe if they lost weight.

Koepka in person is almost indistinguishable from Aaron Donald

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique