2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

Long-time lurker, don't post all that often. However, I felt compelled to give my $.02 on the MTB-X. I'm 56 and 100 mph with driver playing to a 9 cap. I discovered Snell balls a couple of years ago and immediately bought into the value thing. I played the Black exclusively last year and that was after trying Chromes, Pro V's and TP's. All great balls and I could play any of them, but the Black was the longest and the straightest. And it just happened to cost less. The only sacrifice for me was short game spin, but I adjusted to that (and I didn't know what I was missing).

I just tried the MTB-X. I had tried a dozen of the MTB-Red last year but found the Black to fit my game better. The Red spun a bit too much for me off the tee and thus was shorter by a good 5 yards. After reading the reviews, I had to try the MTB-X but I truly wasn't expecting to like it more than the Black. After three rounds on three different courses . . . I can't believe it, but I hit it further than the MTB-Black. Noticeably further. 5-10 yards off the tee consistently, but sometimes longer. I was hitting two clubs less into some greens. I had to double-check the yardage. The trajectory is lower and more penetrating. It might be a smidge less straight off the driver than the Black (or more workable depending on your game), but I love the trajectory and I am hitting it noticeably further. The even bigger difference though is around the greens. My 60 degree and this ball make music on the greens. Also, I love the feel of the Black off the putter, but I have learned to love the feel of the X off the putter just as much, maybe because all the putts have been shorter. . . . It's everything the Black is and more, and more.

I just shot the 3 best rounds I posted all year with MTB-X. And it costs the same price. And Dean still signs the invoices. God bless America!

• Like 2

Ping G30 9* LST w/ Matrix MFS X5 White Tie Tour Proto
Ping Anser 14.5* w/ TFC 800F
Ping Anser Hybrid 20* w/ TFC 800F
Ping i200 4-UW w/ AWT 2.0
Ping Glide 2.0 54* SS and 60* ES w/ AWT 2.0
Odyssey O-Works Marxman S Black
Snell MTB-X

Did some on course testing.... XV, TP5x, mtb-x

zrbyh1ntfozz.jpg

3j6olq0ct4d9.jpg

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Just got my sample pack in. I do like the yellow. That said the black and x are two different types of yellow. Not sure that matters but wonder if that was a bad day at the paint booth or if they are made in different places. Hard to show on my iPhone as easy as it is in person. Either way, I’m looking forward to seeing which i prefer.

tgx3copcdbpc.jpeg

lmjiuw929wat.jpeg

42y9q4oc219f.jpeg

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

> @Minarets said:

> Just got my sample pack in. I do like the yellow. That said the black and x are two different types of yellow. Not sure that matters but wonder if that was a bad day at the paint booth or if they are made in different places. Hard to show on my iPhone as easy as it is in person. Either way, I’m looking forward to seeing which i prefer.

>

> tgx3copcdbpc.jpeg

> lmjiuw929wat.jpeg

> 42y9q4oc219f.jpeg

>

I believe the covers are different materials therefor different process to color hence the difference in appearance.

Stay Tuned...

> @drvrwdge said:

> > @Minarets said:

> > Just got my sample pack in. I do like the yellow. That said the black and x are two different types of yellow. Not sure that matters but wonder if that was a bad day at the paint booth or if they are made in different places. Hard to show on my iPhone as easy as it is in person. Either way, I’m looking forward to seeing which i prefer.

> >

> > tgx3copcdbpc.jpeg

> > lmjiuw929wat.jpeg

> > 42y9q4oc219f.jpeg

> >

>

> I believe the covers are different materials therefor different process to color hence the difference in appearance.

>

Both balls are cast urethane.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @trackcoach13 said:

> > @drvrwdge said:

> > > @Minarets said:

> > > Just got my sample pack in. I do like the yellow. That said the black and x are two different types of yellow. Not sure that matters but wonder if that was a bad day at the paint booth or if they are made in different places. Hard to show on my iPhone as easy as it is in person. Either way, I’m looking forward to seeing which i prefer.

> > >

> > > tgx3copcdbpc.jpeg

> > > lmjiuw929wat.jpeg

> > > 42y9q4oc219f.jpeg

> > >

> >

> > I believe the covers are different materials therefor different process to color hence the difference in appearance.

> >

>

> Both balls are cast urethane.

Ahh thought they were different.

Stay Tuned...

> @flushem said:

> > @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> > Was in Scheels a few weeks ago and they had the X in yellow. Cost a little more, but since I was there I bought them. Now the problem is I haven’t played since I bought them.

>

> even with your shank, you will easily find it in trees and bushes. Go Play!

Maybe this weekend. Hopefully.

> @drvrwdge said:

> > @trackcoach13 said:

> > > @drvrwdge said:

> > > > @Minarets said:

> > > > Just got my sample pack in. I do like the yellow. That said the black and x are two different types of yellow. Not sure that matters but wonder if that was a bad day at the paint booth or if they are made in different places. Hard to show on my iPhone as easy as it is in person. Either way, I’m looking forward to seeing which i prefer.

> > > >

> > > > tgx3copcdbpc.jpeg

> > > > lmjiuw929wat.jpeg

> > > > 42y9q4oc219f.jpeg

> > > >

> > >

> > > I believe the covers are different materials therefor different process to color hence the difference in appearance.

> > >

> >

> > Both balls are cast urethane.

>

> Ahh thought they were different.

>

>

The MTB Red was different.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

After experimenting with some other balls (primarily Bridgestone) I put the X back in play yesterday (flag ball) and was immediately struck by how long these are with irons. I was clubbing down one and still hitting it to back fringes or over. Had a one club wind and was repeatedly shocked at how far it went into the wind on approaches. Hit two of my longest drives of the year, one leading to an eagle after stiffing it from 220, but overall score was hurt by trying to club correctly on approaches. I can interchange most premium balls without much adjustment but these are different.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

> @DFinch said:

> After experimenting with some other balls (primarily Bridgestone) I put the X back in play yesterday (flag ball) and was immediately struck by how long these are with irons. I was clubbing down one and still hitting it to back fringes or over. Had a one club wind and was repeatedly shocked at how far it went into the wind on approaches. Hit two of my longest drives of the year, one leading to an eagle after stiffing it from 220, but overall score was hurt by trying to club correctly on approaches. I can interchange most premium balls without much adjustment but these are different.

>

I actually found the opposite with the X. Was hitting more penetrating drives and long irons, but my shorter irons lost some distance but gained better trajectory and land angle. The ball was constantly within a couple of inches to a foot or so of the mark.

> @el_b00t said:

> > @DFinch said:

> > After experimenting with some other balls (primarily Bridgestone) I put the X back in play yesterday (flag ball) and was immediately struck by how long these are with irons. I was clubbing down one and still hitting it to back fringes or over. Had a one club wind and was repeatedly shocked at how far it went into the wind on approaches. Hit two of my longest drives of the year, one leading to an eagle after stiffing it from 220, but overall score was hurt by trying to club correctly on approaches. I can interchange most premium balls without much adjustment but these are different.

> >

>

> I actually found the opposite with the X. Was hitting more penetrating drives and long irons, but my shorter irons lost some distance but gained better trajectory and land angle. The ball was constantly within a couple of feet of the mark.

They spin and bite fine, but carry distances on irons are way up for me compared to every other ball (BX, ProV1x, TP5). My prior round was with the BX, a few days apart, and it was a significant difference. My guess, as a high launch/high spin player, is the more penetrating trajectory is making the difference.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

> @flushem said:

> > @Justsomeguy said:

> > Does anyone actually prefer the black?

>

> yes. I prefer Black for lower flight and less spin. Also, straighter flight.

I might give the x another go, but am very happy with the black. Feel is great and I’m not losing distance.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I toe-jammed a drive into left rough on a par 4 yesterday in one of my most forgettable rounds of golf I’ve ever played. I was playing MTB X on that hole and had 190 left to a back pin. I hit a 6 iron from light rough (I was too scared to try a 5i) and it landed center of green and short of the pin.

The crazy part was it landed a foot back from its divot with a 6i from light rough, yet still had a penetrating, non-floaty flight. I love this ball.

> @cmhgreg said:

> Long-time lurker, don't post all that often. However, I felt compelled to give my $.02 on the MTB-X. I'm 56 and 100 mph with driver playing to a 9 cap. I discovered Snell balls a couple of years ago and immediately bought into the value thing. I played the Black exclusively last year and that was after trying Chromes, Pro V's and TP's. All great balls and I could play any of them, but the Black was the longest and the straightest. And it just happened to cost less. The only sacrifice for me was short game spin, but I adjusted to that (and I didn't know what I was missing).

>

> I just tried the MTB-X. I had tried a dozen of the MTB-Red last year but found the Black to fit my game better. The Red spun a bit too much for me off the tee and thus was shorter by a good 5 yards. After reading the reviews, I had to try the MTB-X but I truly wasn't expecting to like it more than the Black. After three rounds on three different courses . . . I can't believe it, but I hit it further than the MTB-Black. Noticeably further. 5-10 yards off the tee consistently, but sometimes longer. I was hitting two clubs less into some greens. I had to double-check the yardage. The trajectory is lower and more penetrating. It might be a smidge less straight off the driver than the Black (or more workable depending on your game), but I love the trajectory and I am hitting it noticeably further. The even bigger difference though is around the greens. My 60 degree and this ball make music on the greens. Also, I love the feel of the Black off the putter, but I have learned to love the feel of the X off the putter just as much, maybe because all the putts have been shorter. . . . It's everything the Black is and more, and more.

>

> I just shot the 3 best rounds I posted all year with MTB-X. And it costs the same price. And Dean still signs the invoices. God bless America!

This pretty much sums up my experience. I bought into the Snell brand as soon as they were released. I played the MTB for a while and then bought some Reds just to compare. Found it too hard and it didn't not perform any better. Switched to the Black when they were released and have been using them for the last couple years... until just a month ago when I decided to try the X after the MGS review. Wow... this thing is a rocket and I don't have to give up feel. Every club was longer and I had no problems with trajectory... feel off the putter was predictable and reassuring. This ball is the best I've ever used and I've tried just about all of them. Yes, it did take me a couple rounds to get used to the compression, but now I don't even notice it.

In my opinion, is it better than tp5x or prov1x? Nope, is it pretty damn close for 15 bucks less a dozen? Yep. I prefer the prov1x for putting and around the green, then tp5x, then snell x. Off the tee they are all so close, strike makes a bigger difference than golf ball, and they all feel good off the tee.

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

so far with the test pack (my different color photos are above), i have putted and chipped and pitched only. no driver, or iron shots. i can certainly tell that the Black is softer, but not a ton, but its there. that said, from pitching/chipping/putting i cannot really see or feel a performance difference. the only time when i have seen one spin more than the other, i felt the contact was better on that particular strike than another.

i will be playing in league play this Thursday and will get a better sense of what i like from tee to green, i hope.

> @TinCup19 said:

> they were probably a better bargain a few years ago. but it seems that even their prices are starting to creep up to the top golf ball brands.

If you buy one dozen its $32.99 + tax, or $27.99 + tax per dozen if you buy the value pack, shipped. How is that creeping up to the same price as the "top" golf ball brands?

Pro-V1 - $47.99

TP - $44.99

Tour B - $44.99

Chrome Soft - $44.99

5 dozen Snell - $139

5 Dozen Pro-V - $239

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

The weak point in the pricing argument isn't the normal list price. Other than Titleist, most of the other big-name-brand balls show up from time to time on eBay for something less than Snell's pricing. Maybe last year model or maybe with "PRACTICE" on them or maybe just someone selling off a few dozen at well under normal price.

But if you just want to go online and order a dozen or two at retail they're cheaper than the name-brand ones by 20-30%, which isn't nothing.

Sure. If you want to wait around for the time some of those go on sale, which you can’t bank on lines up when you need balls, then they can be had for the same price as Snell. But if you need balls at anytime, Snell is almost always considerably cheaper.

When you consider that the Snell balls offer the same quality and performance (perhaps even better performance) than the premium tour balls, they are a bargain. I was not attracted to Snell because of the price, but rather the performance. When I found that I could get better performance from Snell and save some money too... well, how can you beat that. Although I know there are some that are up to their necks in the cool aid some of the ball manufacturers are selling that they would never consider a DTC ball. Their loss.