2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

PGA Junior League All-Stars - New Rules

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @golfer55082 said:

> > “Do they drive it 300 or is it because of conditions?” Conditions definitely helped especially the big roll after landing. But overall I believe there are a few 13 years old kids out there we can genuinely hit at around 300 yards - about 270+ yards carry and 110mph club speed. Not mine but I witnessed a couple.

>

> There are two things I see.

>

> 1. most people have no clue between carry and roll. With roll it is all about conditions. Carry is all that matters. You can’t control or always count on roll that much.

> 2. For kids that do drive far there are peak drives and average drives the two are not the same. For instance a kid may actually drive 280 or 300 but is not going sustain that for a round average is probably 240-250. If they actually do try and go all out the average will probably end up closer to 200 because there too tired.

There is a lot of truth to this statement.

Kid met with instructor this morning to get on the flight scope to adjust his driver to optimal settings. He calls me to tell me his first drive with the new settings was a 246 carry with a total of 260 something. His average was 230 carry with a 248 total over the amount of drives he hit. In certain conditions he can throw a good number out there. He played at Trump National Doral and hole 1 is a par 5 on the Red Tiger. Down wind and fairways run. All 3 days he was over 280. That does not mean he drives the ball 280.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @kekoa said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @kekoa said:

> > > Any of you local guys in California playing a regional match on the 11th?

> >

> > Yeah, we'll see you at Alhambra.

>

> Hmmm So I get to meet the legend himself. See you there.

LOL - my son was asked to be on your team two years ago. I just never wanted to make the 45 minute drive to RH when there was a local team 10 minutes away.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > Any of you local guys in California playing a regional match on the 11th?

> > >

> > > Yeah, we'll see you at Alhambra.

> >

> > Hmmm So I get to meet the legend himself. See you there.

>

> LOL - my son was asked to be on your team two years ago. I just never wanted to make the 45 minute drive to RH when there was a local team 10 minutes away.

May switch it up next year to a stronger team that gets to play much better courses. Not really a fan of playing the same course each week against others from the same team.

> @kekoa said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @kekoa said:

> > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > > Any of you local guys in California playing a regional match on the 11th?

> > > >

> > > > Yeah, we'll see you at Alhambra.

> > >

> > > Hmmm So I get to meet the legend himself. See you there.

> >

> > LOL - my son was asked to be on your team two years ago. I just never wanted to make the 45 minute drive to RH when there was a local team 10 minutes away.

>

> May switch it up next year to a stronger team that gets to play much better courses. Not really a fan of playing the same course each week against others from the same team.

You see the yardages they recommend for the postseason? It's super short for the 11u kids.

**Boys 11-under and Girls 13-under will play from the FORWARD tees. Boys 12-over and Girls 14-over will play from the BACK tees.**

Recommended maximum yardages for the FORWARD tees throughout regular season and

Section Championships/qualifiers will be 2,300 yards:

a. Par threes should not exceed 115 yards.

b. Par fours should not exceed 275 yards.

c. Par fives should not exceed 375 yards.

Recommended maximum yardages for the BACK tees throughout regular season and Section

Championships/qualifiers will be 2,600 yards:

a. Par threes should not exceed 130 yards.

b. Par fours should not exceed 300 yards.

c. Par fives should not exceed 415 yards.

With them having up tees for the girls and younger boys that may alter how teams now set things up. Before you wanted a bunch of 13 year old boys. Now an elite 10 or 11 year old boy could do some damage from the up tees. Same thing for girls. Be interesting to see if you see a change in the all star team make-up moving forward.

> @Golfingdawg19 said:

> With them having up tees for the girls and younger boys that may alter how teams now set things up. Before you wanted a bunch of 13 year old boys. Now an elite 10 or 11 year old boy could do some damage from the up tees. Same thing for girls. Be interesting to see if you see a change in the all star team make-up moving forward.

But those yardages are just through the sections. They don't make any since. Go past Sections and everyone plays the same yardage. So a team with little kids advances and gets crushed because of distance. Distance in golf is the greatest of all equalizers.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > With them having up tees for the girls and younger boys that may alter how teams now set things up. Before you wanted a bunch of 13 year old boys. Now an elite 10 or 11 year old boy could do some damage from the up tees. Same thing for girls. Be interesting to see if you see a change in the all star team make-up moving forward.

>

> But those yardages are just through the sections. They don't make any since. Go past Sections and everyone plays the same yardage. So a team with little kids advances and gets crushed because of distance. Distance in golf is the greatest of all equalizers.

Does this hold true if a little guy gets paired with a consistent bomber? Ideally both kids will be bombers, but that won't be the case for our team. there are like (3) 9 year olds :\

> @kekoa said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > > With them having up tees for the girls and younger boys that may alter how teams now set things up. Before you wanted a bunch of 13 year old boys. Now an elite 10 or 11 year old boy could do some damage from the up tees. Same thing for girls. Be interesting to see if you see a change in the all star team make-up moving forward.

> >

> > But those yardages are just through the sections. They don't make any since. Go past Sections and everyone plays the same yardage. So a team with little kids advances and gets crushed because of distance. Distance in golf is the greatest of all equalizers.

>

> Does this hold true if a little guy gets paired with a consistent bomber? Ideally both kids will be bombers, but that won't be the case for our team. there are like (3) 9 year olds :\

I hear what you are saying. What if a team has no bombers or limited with them? Two kids that are short knockers that can play ok from a short distance but are just over matched from a longer distance. I don't agree with the decision to do this, but they didn't ask me.

The distances are interesting but they do give our squad a decent chance in section as we are filled with talented but young kids. We only have really 1 or 2 kids who can rip it but almost all of our kids are extremely good approach and short game players. Helps that we are hosting again this year as well.

> @kekoa said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > > With them having up tees for the girls and younger boys that may alter how teams now set things up. Before you wanted a bunch of 13 year old boys. Now an elite 10 or 11 year old boy could do some damage from the up tees. Same thing for girls. Be interesting to see if you see a change in the all star team make-up moving forward.

> >

> > But those yardages are just through the sections. They don't make any since. Go past Sections and everyone plays the same yardage. So a team with little kids advances and gets crushed because of distance. Distance in golf is the greatest of all equalizers.

>

> Does this hold true if a little guy gets paired with a consistent bomber? Ideally both kids will be bombers, but that won't be the case for our team. there are like (3) 9 year olds :\

Yeah but those are all pretty awesome 9 year olds.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > > > With them having up tees for the girls and younger boys that may alter how teams now set things up. Before you wanted a bunch of 13 year old boys. Now an elite 10 or 11 year old boy could do some damage from the up tees. Same thing for girls. Be interesting to see if you see a change in the all star team make-up moving forward.

> > >

> > > But those yardages are just through the sections. They don't make any since. Go past Sections and everyone plays the same yardage. So a team with little kids advances and gets crushed because of distance. Distance in golf is the greatest of all equalizers.

> >

> > Does this hold true if a little guy gets paired with a consistent bomber? Ideally both kids will be bombers, but that won't be the case for our team. there are like (3) 9 year olds :\

>

> Yeah but those are all pretty awesome 9 year olds.

Played a practice match friday. 2 nine yr olds vs. 2 eleven yr olds. My son sunk a birdie on 9 to beat them. The 9’s shot -5 against their -4. That was fun.

For those experienced would you pair an 11 yo and 9 yo or keep similar aged kids partnered up? If you go with the former, Im thinking the kids may not be used to distances if paired with a longer hitter. This works with the new changes in tees.

> @kekoa said:

> Played a practice match friday. 2 nine yr olds vs. 2 eleven yr olds. My son sunk a birdie on 9 to beat them. The 9’s shot -5 against their -4. That was fun.

> For those experienced would you pair an 11 yo and 9 yo or keep similar aged kids partnered up? If you go with the former, Im thinking the kids may not be used to distances if paired with a longer hitter. This works with the new changes in tees.

I don't know what our coach is going to do for pairings but I think my son will be with a younger player. They have a team practice this week so we'll see...

Our team won our sectional this past weekend and while the forward tees had an impact I don't think it was as drastic as I feared. My son is still 11 but he is on the older side and hits the ball very well. He was paired with a 13 yo who is also above average for distance. On the 9 hole track we played there were 2 holes (par4/5) that the forward tees made an impact. The par 4 opening hole was reachable with driver from the forward tees but it was also a risk/reward shot with it being uphill and well protected by bunkers, and one of the par 5s had the forward tee up about 75 yards so a good shot provided a distance advantage. For the rest of the holes there was a minor difference but not enough to make it silly. I favored the two tees as it also helped keep the pace of play up for some of the weaker teams but I'm totally fine with them eliminating it for the regional round.

Boy talk about some pressure on a 9 year old. My son's All-Star section took a crazy turn. Our squad's semi-final match got called due to lightning with only my son and his partner and their opponents left on the course with our squad up 6 flags to 5 flags. They were on their last flag and had already split their first hole. My son put the team's tee shot in a bunker while his opponents were on the green on a Par 3 when they called it. Had to finish it in the morning. Little buddy and his partner couldn't get the bunker shot up and down (no making excuses but it was a tricky shot not helped by some soaking wet sand and I am sure he was feeling the pressure) and tied the last hole so their opponents took the flag and their top 2 beat our top 2 on the first playoff hole. Crazy couple of days....

On the tee discussion I do not think it made that big of an impact. The way the PGA set up the course 4 of the holes literally had less than 5 yards difference which was pretty asinine to me.

> @kekoa said:

> Happy to see my son's team is moving on to sectionals. I'm still trying to get me arms around the different format over two days, but the kids are excited nonetheless. No real expectations, but hoping for the best.

Go to the men's locker room and you can find my picture up on the wall (if they're still there) at that course you are playing. Look for the white srixon hat and goofy ass smile. LOL

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > With them having up tees for the girls and younger boys that may alter how teams now set things up. Before you wanted a bunch of 13 year old boys. Now an elite 10 or 11 year old boy could do some damage from the up tees. Same thing for girls. Be interesting to see if you see a change in the all star team make-up moving forward.

>

> But those yardages are just through the sections. They don't make any since. Go past Sections and everyone plays the same yardage. So a team with little kids advances and gets crushed because of distance. Distance in golf is the greatest of all equalizers.

I think they are still separate tees after sectionals but the yardage is increased up to 25% (which is a large increase). At least that’s the way I read it. That would mean max yardage of 3250 for “back tees” and 2770 of “forward” tees. Those are very reasonable numbers.

• 2 months later...

Ga PGA Junior is stacked and they only lose 4 kids from their 2019 championship team due to them aging out. The one kid was their captain and very solid. The other three were actually the three lowest in talent !! They will be replaced by three other kids who could have easily played on this team this year but due to their national individual schedules did not participate but they said next year they are in and have committed and this 2020 team will actually be even stronger next year. Crazy crazy talent in GA best and most competitive talented kids I have ever seen !!