Changes YOU'D LIKE TO SEE to the game of golf

I think that every group should have to stop and wait for the group behind so that there can be an Airing of Grievances to establish who was too slow, how many practices swings is too many and who shouldn't have hit into who.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Balls in the fairway that come to rest in a sand filled divot should be a free drop from ground under repair. I wonder why they did not make that change? It is very unfair to penalize someone that hit the ball where you wanted them to hit it. In the fairway! :slow_en:

Callaway XR 9.5 degree
Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
Callaway Razr Tour Irons
50 degree Volkey
[url="Seemore%20Putter"]WITB Link[/url]
58 degree cleveland
52 degree Sixron

Balls in the fairway that come to rest in a sand filled divot should be a free drop from ground under repair. I wonder why they did not make that change? It is very unfair to penalize someone that hit the ball where you wanted them to hit it. In the fairway! :slow_en:

I agree with you 100% but by making that statement, you have kicked the hornet's nest LOL

I think it would be very unpopular, but just ONE standard golf ball. Titleist pro v1 or srixon z star or Wilson duo. Doesn't matter, just pick one and make that the "standard" that everyone had to play.

COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"

I understand all of the divot complaints, but how often is everyone actually landing in a divot? It honestly happens to me once or twice a year.

Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
Adams Tight Lies 3-16
Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
Vokey SM 09 56
Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"

A cold weather acclimated dwarf Bermuda strain.

A 250cc driver head size limit, along with a trimmed minimum driver shaft weight of 80 grams.

A time limit for a round of competitive golf with DQ as the penalty for breach.

A return to course setup where simply being in the fairway will over a year’s time result in a strokes gained advantage over the portion of the field that is less frequently in the fairway, ceteris pariibus.

A ball standard that returns the 300 yard drive to its decades long status as a thing to be marveled.

A single, worldwide governing body with a requirement that the stewardship of the game be delegated to a group that can derive their family lineage to golfers that played in the 1700s or prior.

A rules structure that preserves the idea that the winner of a golf tournament should generally be viewed by the other competitors as a skilled and competent player worthy of the honor that comes with victory.

Shall I continue?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think we should just be able to write down the score we want. Why should I have to post 81 when I think I should have shot 73? It’s not fair that the ball I hit out of bounds counts, the two 3 putts were because the greens were faster than yesterday and come on - does that run of 4 straight bogies really count? The sun was in my eyes, I don’t control the sun.....the guy in the shop does. I think. So yeah, 73.

• Like 1

> @CrushSticks said:

> I understand all of the divot complaints, but how often is everyone actually landing in a divot? It honestly happens to me once or twice a year.

Agreed. It happens WAY less often than the times I hit a crappy drive way into the rough or trees and catch a really good break and have a good look, from a shot that should be dead.

• Like 1

> @golfandfishing said:

> I think we should just be able to write down the score we want. Why should I have to post 81 when I think I should have shot 73? It’s not fair that the ball I hit out of bounds counts, the two 3 putts were because the greens were faster than yesterday and come on - does that run of 4 straight bogies really count? The sun was in my eyes, I don’t control the sun.....the guy in the shop does. I think. So yeah, 73.

Nice! Where is that LOL button now that I need it? Cheers! :)

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

> @golfandfishing said:

> I think we should just be able to write down the score we want. Why should I have to post 81 when I think I should have shot 73? It’s not fair that the ball I hit out of bounds counts, the two 3 putts were because the greens were faster than yesterday and come on - does that run of 4 straight bogies really count? The sun was in my eyes, I don’t control the sun.....the guy in the shop does. I think. So yeah, 73.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately if you’re playing them for money) I think there are a lot of people who do just that. My best friend is a classic example.

> @Chrismydawg said:

> More courses with lights that allow nighttime play in America. There are very few and I personally would love to play at night, it looks awesome.

Agree! At least light up short game/driving range till later for the folk who can come out at the witching hour only

Amateur tournament golf needs to be speed up big time. Ready golf is common sense but its not the norm. Super long pre shot routines to shoot a million is tough to withstand. 6hr local qualifiers will make most not want to qualify anymore lol.

No rules changes for me.. I'll play then however they are; percevied unfairness or no - that's part of the quirkiness of the game.

I'd like to see it return to a "healthy" level of interest. Not the Tiger-bubble, not the overbuilt golf courses for developments bubble, certainly not the "let's attract more people - regardless of their quality" to the game.

I'd make failing to repair ball marks and ejectable offense. As well as raking bunkers, or driving up to greens to save you 7 steps.

I'd like to see equipment manufacturers not own the game. I'd like to see people with 18+ handicaps have enough sense to know the most of the "tech advancements" announced every 6 months amount to squat for all players, including Tour players.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

• 3 months later...

A lot of the posts on here seem to be "this needs to change because its a weakness in my game". Golf is about the challenge and pursuit of hitting the perfect shot or playing the perfect round (whatever that may be to each individual). If you`re not up to the challenge then find another hobby but don't mess with the game I love just because you can't play it at the level you THINK you should be playing it at. Can`t hit out of bunkers or fairway divots? Learn how to. Think the hole isn't big enough because you don't sink enough putts? Spend more time on the practice green. Since when did the solution to adversity become change the rules so it's easier? Where's the sense of achievement and personal satisfaction in that? Put in the time and effort to get better or in the case of some just accept that you may not possess the same natural ability or physicality that others do. There's enjoyment to be found in the game whether you're a scratch golfer or a 30 handicap if you approach it the right way and take it for what it is. Sorry but everyone doesn't get a ribbon in the game of life and in more ways than one golf is a lesson in life.

• Like 2

TS3 9.5* Ventus  Black 60X
TS3 15*  Ventus Black 80X
716 TMB 3 C-Taper Lite X
718 AP2 4-9 KBS Tour X
SM7 47* 51* 55* 59* KBS Tour X
Milled 8802 w SS Pistol GT 2.0

OB/lost ball rules have to change, although I think there needs to be two sets of rules; one for the pros, one for amateurs.

Pros: Rules stay the same. They have spotters and can be informed before they leave the tee box that their ball is OB.

Amateurs: Red/yellow stakes throughout. You shouldn't have to throw away an entire round of golf [for handicap purposes] because you didn't realize that your ball trickled OB or you couldn't find your ball because it nestled down in the rough. And has anyone actually walked back to a tee box to re-tee?

Fortunately for me, the latter comes into play much more often than the former.

Taylormade M1 9.5°  |  Speeder 661

Ping G 14.5°  |  Aldila NV 75

Titleist T-MB 21°  |  S400

PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW  |  Elevate Tour X100

Callaway MD Forged  |  Recoil 125

Taylormade  |  Spider Tour Black

> @ctsgolf said:

And has anyone actually walked back to a tee box to re-tee?

> Someone did this on vacation, when they asked to play their ball I figured they meant they came across the tree line from the next hole. The proceed to tee of on my current tee. Needless to say this caused a back-up. They tried it again 7 or 8 holes later, saw them driving the cart back, a well timed 5 Iron over their cart and in the fairway ended that nonsense.

> @admork said:

> 1. No more OB, if you can find it within 3 minutes it's all good.

> 2. Speed up pace of play: you would have 30 seconds to hit your shot or you would add a stroke every time.

How would that work with private property? EX. Homes next to a golf course? I don't want people coming into MY yard and playing their ball. Still happens from time to time, then they are greeted by my Dobermans.

> @"DFS PFD" said:

> > @admork said:

> > 1. No more OB, if you can find it within 3 minutes it's all good.

> > 2. Speed up pace of play: you would have 30 seconds to hit your shot or you would add a stroke every time.

>

> How would that work with private property? EX. Homes next to a golf course? I don't want people coming into MY yard and playing their ball. Still happens from time to time, then they are greeted by my Dobermans.

I understand, I just wish there was no OB and I agree it is not realistic with private property.

On another note, people living on a golf property do not mind having their home value going up because of the golf course but they want nothing to do with golfers close by, kind of funny.

I'd like to see simplification of the rules. This last change really gave them the chance to reduce the number of stakes (red, yellow, white & on some courses a variation with a green tip for environmental). While I understand why some like OB to be penalized more than a "penalty area" I would rather see everything treated as a lateral with the same penalty and options. Exception would be environmental (& OB) areas (which would be the same as lateral without the option to play the ball)

Another simplification would be formalizing some optional local rules like the power line rule or immovable obstruction (i.e. sprinkler head) near the green. I play a course that has both...have been told that the Power line local rule is in effect, but it does not appear on the score card or any of the comp sheets. Basically, I'd like to see all the approved local rules included as standard rules by the USGA whenever practical while giving individual courses the option to opt out. They did this on the last rule change with the embedded ball rule and I think that was a good change as many courses don't have committees that do a very good job of posting/informing/keeping up with local rules that should apply.

> @CMUgol4 said:

> OB doesn't bother me too much but the lost ball penalty needs to change. Especially when it's lost in the rough/leaves. We don't play with marshals who can put a flag where the finished. If all players can agree on the location then it should be good to go.

>

>

>

> I would actually like it if a ball hit a cartpath it's an automatic rehit like a powerline. Too many courses have the path way too close to the green

>

>

>

> Proof of hc to play certain sets of tees would be great

The auto re-hit for a power line is currently only a local rule. While I have caught some bad breaks from cart paths that are too close to a good shot, I couldn't see this becoming an auto re-hit for most paths.

> @admork said:

> > @"DFS PFD" said:

> > > @admork said:

> > > 1. No more OB, if you can find it within 3 minutes it's all good.

> > > 2. Speed up pace of play: you would have 30 seconds to hit your shot or you would add a stroke every time.

> >

> > How would that work with private property? EX. Homes next to a golf course? I don't want people coming into MY yard and playing their ball. Still happens from time to time, then they are greeted by my Dobermans.

>

> I understand, I just wish there was no OB and I agree it is not realistic with private property.

> On another note, people living on a golf property do not mind having their home value going up because of the golf course but they want nothing to do with golfers close by, kind of funny.

It is bizarre to me they don't want random strangers meandering around on their living space, truly one of life's mysteries.

> @"DFS PFD" said:

> > @admork said:

> > > @"DFS PFD" said:

> > > > @admork said:

> > > > 1. No more OB, if you can find it within 3 minutes it's all good.

> > > > 2. Speed up pace of play: you would have 30 seconds to hit your shot or you would add a stroke every time.

> > >

> > > How would that work with private property? EX. Homes next to a golf course? I don't want people coming into MY yard and playing their ball. Still happens from time to time, then they are greeted by my Dobermans.

> >

> > I understand, I just wish there was no OB and I agree it is not realistic with private property.

> > On another note, people living on a golf property do not mind having their home value going up because of the golf course but they want nothing to do with golfers close by, kind of funny.

>

> It is bizarre to me they don't want random strangers meandering around on their living space, truly one of life's mysteries.

Actually here in Florida, many courses that you live on specifically have a clause in the housing contract that golfer has the right to retrieve the ball of your property.

I want golfers to understand that there is no such thing as "fair" in golf. As well as no distinction within the rules for fairway and rough. It is (maybe was) all just "through the green." You would have to define fairway first before you go playing divots as GUR. Do you also need to play hard pan and dead spots as GUR?

Maybe just embrace the challenge and pull off the shot from a challenging lie? Golf is a game not just of swinging the club and hitting the ball but also of making decisions and having the mental clarity and acuity to make those decisions. If you are steaming over the "unfairness" of your ball coming to rest in a divot (which are not all that hard to play from btw) you are losing the game played between your ears.