What has golf given back to you?

SixtySomePing

Peace and tranquility.

Until I'm standing on the 16 tee reminding myself that I have to par out for an 82.

Taylormade M1 9.5°  |  Speeder 661

Ping G 14.5°  |  Aldila NV 75

Titleist T-MB 21°  |  S400

PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW  |  Elevate Tour X100

Callaway MD Forged  |  Recoil 125

Taylormade  |  Spider Tour Black

This is definitely a cool thread, nice one SSP

Golf has become my reason to live in a way. Wasted a lot of time and virtually ruined my life making poor decisions in my 20s and 30s. Over the past 8 years this game has injected me with a purpose again. I am healthily obsessed (although the bouts of range rage are shameful) and just want to keep at it forever.

• 2 months later...

It's made me start taking better care of myself.

After my dad passed 20 years ago; I more or less stopped playing as I lost my #1 playing partner. From age 8 or 9 till 21; golf was damn near all I cared about. Though in my later teens, I started playing music as well; drums primarily. While dad was still around, it was easy enough to do both but when he was gone - it was all music. I still would go to the range every so often and would TRY to get back into it, but it just didn't stick.

Moved from NC to Vegas back in 2002 and REALLY got into the music scene and all the bad decisions that come with it. Five years later and it was on to LA where it just got worse. I became, by all definitions, an alcoholic and while I never had any REAL drug addictions, I was certainly doing plenty of them. Lost a wife in the process. I really was a mess. When the want to play out kinda petered out; all the bad s*** didn't.

The only thing that stayed manageable was that I'm a pretty decent programmer and always kept a solid career going. Wasn't always easy but I managed. Through a chance lunch pairing at work last year, met a new guy that played. I was stoked to get invited for a round - the first full one I'd played in like 4 years. It was an early one out at the Ike in City of Industry. Early tee time on a Saturday morning so I made it a point to not get drunk the night before ... which had become my typical Friday. And Saturday. And Sunday.

I remember walking up to the clubhouse around 7:30AM that morning and the smell of the turf hit me ... it reminded me of the early rounds with my dad all those years ago. I played horribly but he was nice enough to keep inviting me every so often and every time, I'd go. Word got around at the office that we had a little golf group coming together and more started joining. Got to where we were doing outings a couple times a month. Then several months in, we had a tee time one Sunday morning and I'd managed to NOT get hammered Friday night ... but, ya now, bad decisions and all and got pretty lit that Saturday. Of course, there was no way I was gonna make it for the tee time ... and cancelled.

Doing that REALLY hit me. Like ... "Dude, you LOVE playing. What are you doing?"

I made a decision that day. I was going to not only get my game back to where it was 20+ years ago, I was going to get BETTER. I cut out the stupid binge drinking that'd become so common, eventually quit smoking (pack and a half a day since I was 16), started exercising and eating right. At nearly 42, I'm in better shape than I've maybe ever been. I'm at least as good as I was back in the day but still have work to do to be better - but that's the whole point, right?

So yeah. I was in pretty bad shape mentally and physically till this all came back. And I'm really glad it did.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @aenemated said:

> It's made me start taking better care of myself.

>

> After my dad passed 20 years ago; I more or less stopped playing as I lost my #1 playing partner. From age 8 or 9 till 21; golf was **** near all I cared about. Though in my later teens, I started playing music as well; drums primarily. While dad was still around, it was easy enough to do both but when he was gone - it was all music. I still would go to the range every so often and would TRY to get back into it, but it just didn't stick.

>

> Moved from NC to Vegas back in 2002 and REALLY got into the music scene and all the bad decisions that come with it. Five years later and it was on to LA where it just got worse. I became, by all definitions, an alcoholic and while I never had any REAL drug addictions, I was certainly doing plenty of them. Lost a wife in the process. I really was a mess. When the want to play out kinda petered out; all the bad **** didn't.

>

> The only thing that stayed manageable was that I'm a pretty decent programmer and always kept a solid career going. Wasn't always easy but I managed. Through a chance lunch pairing at work last year, met a new guy that played. I was stoked to get invited for a round - the first full one I'd played in like 4 years. It was an early one out at the Ike in City of Industry. Early tee time on a Saturday morning so I made it a point to not get drunk the night before ... which had become my typical Friday. And Saturday. And Sunday.

>

> I remember walking up to the clubhouse around 7:30AM that morning and the smell of the turf hit me ... it reminded me of the early rounds with my dad all those years ago. I played horribly but he was nice enough to keep inviting me every so often and every time, I'd go. Word got around at the office that we had a little golf group coming together and more started joining. Got to where we were doing outings a couple times a month. Then several months in, we had a tee time one Sunday morning and I'd managed to NOT get hammered Friday night ... but, ya now, bad decisions and all and got pretty lit that Saturday. Of course, there was no way I was gonna make it for the tee time ... and cancelled.

>

> Doing that REALLY hit me. Like ... "Dude, you LOVE playing. What are you doing?"

>

> I made a decision that day. I was going to not only get my game back to where it was 20+ years ago, I was going to get BETTER. I cut out the stupid binge drinking that'd become so common, eventually quit smoking (pack and a half a day since I was 16), started exercising and eating right. At nearly 42, I'm in better shape than I've maybe ever been. I'm at least as good as I was back in the day but still have work to do to be better - but that's the whole point, right?

>

> So yeah. I was in pretty bad shape mentally and physically till this all came back. And I'm really glad it did.

Dude, thanks for sharing! I too have replaced self destruction with golf and my weekend warrior mode is done on the links rather than the bar/nightclub/wherever.

I just love walking along early in a round and thinking "years ago you'd still be awake from Friday's partying and hating yourself, and now that's all dead...up at dawn with only golf on the mind, f**k yeaaaah!"

+1 for best shape of my life (44 yrs) and addicted to something healthy and positive

Cheers aenemated!

> @aenemated said:

>

> After my dad passed 20 years ago; I more or less stopped playing as I lost my #1 playing partner. From age 8 or 9 till 21; golf was **** near all I cared about. Though in my later teens, I started playing music as well; drums primarily. While dad was still around, it was easy enough to do both but when he was gone - it was all music. I still would go to the range every so often and would TRY to get back into it, but it just didn't stick.

>

> Moved from NC to Vegas back in 2002 and REALLY got into the music scene and all the bad decisions that come with it. Five years later and it was on to LA where it just got worse. I became, by all definitions, an alcoholic and while I never had any REAL drug addictions, I was certainly doing plenty of them. Lost a wife in the process. I really was a mess. When the want to play out kinda petered out; all the bad **** didn't.

>

> The only thing that stayed manageable was that I'm a pretty decent programmer and always kept a solid career going. Wasn't always easy but I managed. Through a chance lunch pairing at work last year, met a new guy that played. I was stoked to get invited for a round - the first full one I'd played in like 4 years. It was an early one out at the Ike in City of Industry. Early tee time on a Saturday morning so I made it a point to not get drunk the night before ... which had become my typical Friday. And Saturday. And Sunday.

>

> I remember walking up to the clubhouse around 7:30AM that morning and the smell of the turf hit me ... it reminded me of the early rounds with my dad all those years ago. I played horribly but he was nice enough to keep inviting me every so often and every time, I'd go. Word got around at the office that we had a little golf group coming together and more started joining. Got to where we were doing outings a couple times a month. Then several months in, we had a tee time one Sunday morning and I'd managed to NOT get hammered Friday night ... but, ya now, bad decisions and all and got pretty lit that Saturday. Of course, there was no way I was gonna make it for the tee time ... and cancelled.

>

> Doing that REALLY hit me. Like ... "Dude, you LOVE playing. What are you doing?"

>

> I made a decision that day. I was going to not only get my game back to where it was 20+ years ago, I was going to get BETTER. I cut out the stupid binge drinking that'd become so common, eventually quit smoking (pack and a half a day since I was 16), started exercising and eating right. At nearly 42, I'm in better shape than I've maybe ever been. I'm at least as good as I was back in the day but still have work to do to be better - but that's the whole point, right?

>

> So yeah. I was in pretty bad shape mentally and physically till this all came back. And I'm really glad it did.

Confession - and golf - is good for the soul.

Thanks for sharing. Hope you feel your father every time on the course

• Like 1

> @disco111 said:

> What has golf given me............Hmmm, lets see

> A Bad back

> Bad knees

> Bad shoulder

> Fits of anger

> And an empty wallet !!

> But, it has also given me at times a few glorious memories, such as my first birdie, a hole in one, an albatross, the excitement of the Masters, which is the un-official / official start of the real golf season, the camaraderie of those considered friends and last but not least, on a nice evening with the course to myself and the sun beginning to set, the tranquility of spending time with the creator in quiet contemplation of thank fullness and hope for the future.............

Perfectly said!

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Its given me back enjoyment, releaxation and commaraderie. Its also added a spiritual aspect to my life. Without golf, I probably wouldnt be a Buddhist and wouldnt be, "zen golfer".

Back in the days when I struggled with the mental side of the game, I had an interesting in Japan and asian culture in general, so I came across the book, "Zen Golf" and it changed my life, so to speak.

Golf has given so much back to me that honestly, if something were to happen where I couldnt golf anymore, I dont know what I would do.

A couple years ago I was struggling with some foot pain and went to a foot doctor. The solution they offered was to basically break the joint of my big toe and fuse it. The only catch if that I would basically be reduced to being flat-footed all the time and golf I would be out. I told them no and that I wouldnt do it as long as I could bear the pain. Well, I still havent had the surgery and have learned how to manage the pain. If my choice is a little pain from time to time or no golf, I will choice the pain every time.

> @aenemated said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed reading your story.

I grew up playing City of Industry but was only able to play the Ike course a handful of times because they would only let the kids in their junior program play the Babe course.

Golf has always been around my life, even more so now that work in the industry. But those golf moments as a kid still sticks with me and still makes me smile thinking back at them.

PING G430 LST 9°
PING G430 LST FW #3
PING G430 HY #2
PING G410 Crossover #3
PING i525 #5,
PING i59 #6-PW
PING Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°
PING PLD Anser 2D, Patina finish

Had an interesting experience last night that was golf related. An employee asked if I would have a glass of wine with her. I was leery at first because she wouldn't share what she wanted to talk about. 30 seconds after sitting down she had this huge Cheshire grin on her face and was just ready to burst. She shared how she's listened to the stories of golfing with friends and that she saw a passion but she didn't get it. Hitting a ball with a stick, walking to it again, hitting it a few more times and then hitting it with a shorter stick. She didn't get the fun.

Back in March, she went to FL with her parents who convinced her to try golf, once. She begrudgingly acquiesced just to keep her parents, who are both serious golfers, happy. She made a par in her first 9 holes on a par 3 and was hooked. She started taking lessons, bought clubs, outfits, shoes and we sat there for an hour going through the hundreds of swing videos she had on her phone of tee shots, irons, hybrids, chips, putts, etc. She's now golfing with her parents 3x a week and has found a deeper relationship with her parents. She's beyond passionate about the game and it brought me back to when I first fell in love with the game many years ago.

She asked if we could play 9 holes together so we scheduled it for the next week. She asked me to promise not to laugh if she whiffed or hit a bad shot. I agreed under the condition she made the same promise as I told her playing for 50 years doesn't mean your good.

women, I had no idea golf groupies existed when I first started. I still remember one asking me out as I was making a mad dash for the porta-potty. Thought it was a fluke deal but now I can't play a full round without being whistled at, asked out and many other things I can't mention on this family friendly website. To be honest, it gets tiring, I am just there to play golf.

• 4 weeks later...

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Had an interesting experience last night that was golf related. An employee asked if I would have a glass of wine with her. I was leery at first because she wouldn't share what she wanted to talk about. 30 seconds after sitting down she had this huge Cheshire grin on her face and was just ready to burst. She shared how she's listened to the stories of golfing with friends and that she saw a passion but she didn't get it. Hitting a ball with a stick, walking to it again, hitting it a few more times and then hitting it with a shorter stick. She didn't get the fun.

>

> Back in March, she went to FL with her parents who convinced her to try golf, once. She begrudgingly acquiesced just to keep her parents, who are both serious golfers, happy. She made a par in her first 9 holes on a par 3 and was hooked. She started taking lessons, bought clubs, outfits, shoes and we sat there for an hour going through the hundreds of swing videos she had on her phone of tee shots, irons, hybrids, chips, putts, etc. She's now golfing with her parents 3x a week and has found a deeper relationship with her parents. She's beyond passionate about the game and it brought me back to when I first fell in love with the game many years ago.

>

> She asked if we could play 9 holes together so we scheduled it for the next week. She asked me to promise not to laugh if she whiffed or hit a bad shot. I agreed under the condition she made the same promise as I told her playing for 50 years doesn't mean your good.

>

>

I want/need to know how this 9-holes went...

good friends, good travels, good sights, good memories, good exercise, good excuses to have an adult beverage, the goods outweigh the bads for sure!

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Hello Aug...hope you're well and thanks for asking

All in all, it was really fun for both of us. She quickly got through the "golfing with the boss thing" and I thought for someone with < 6 months playing she did amazingly well. Hit a lot of good shots, a few tee shots that were easily 150 yards and straight. Hit her hybrid very well and I suggested she look into adding another one or two to her bag and dumping the longer irons. She struggled putting a bit which seems to be pretty common with that little experience so we went to the practice afterwards and spent some time working on speed. She didn't want to keep score but she shot a 48 on a 2,000 yard par 33 course which I thought was great.

I did mess up by not complimenting her outfit until after the round...don't really think that way but I did say something at the end. It was really fun to see someone who has just fallen in love with the game and can't talk about it enough. She does have way too many swing videos though and I suggested not to analyze every single swing but I don't think that'll happen as she's hooked.

Thanks for the update & it's good to know she is in good hands, with you knowing the game so well.

If she didn't compliment you on YOUR outfit prior to playing, you did nothing wrong, failing to do the same.

I do hope you impressed her the importance of ingesting copious amounts of Costco wine, postgame.

• 3 weeks later...