Ping Glide 3.0 Appreciation Thread

Jaygolf37

Picked up my 3.0 Eye 2’s today. Amazing feel and versatility. Love them. Who else has the new 3.0’s, and how do you like em?5bn3w0td488o.jpeg

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

I am most surprised with how they perform on tight lies. That half groove on the bottom must be working.

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

> @Jaygolf37 said:

> I am most surprised with how they perform on tight lies. That half groove on the bottom must be working.

Yeah I found the Stealths to have exceptional spin lower in the face on tight lies maybe due to that groove. The one thing I don't get about the Eye 2 version is why they didn't do what Cally and TM did with the PM and Hi-Toe and put grooves all over the face out to the toe.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @Jaygolf37 said:

> > I am most surprised with how they perform on tight lies. That half groove on the bottom must be working.

>

> Yeah I found the Stealths to have exceptional spin lower in the face on tight lies maybe due to that groove. The one thing I don't get about the Eye 2 version is why they didn't do what Cally and TM did with the PM and Hi-Toe and put grooves all over the face out to the toe.

I am glad they didn’t. I hate that look from address and never hit shots like that.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

> @balls_deep said:

> > @Jaygolf37 said:

> > I am most surprised with how they perform on tight lies. That half groove on the bottom must be working.

>

> Yeah I found the Stealths to have exceptional spin lower in the face on tight lies maybe due to that groove. The one thing I don't get about the Eye 2 version is why they didn't do what Cally and TM did with the PM and Hi-Toe and put grooves all over the face out to the toe.

You may not agree with this, but this reviewer thinks it does accomplish anything because of where the ball impacts the face.

[https://youtu.be/EvWsmX9mp1Q](https://youtu.be/EvWsmX9mp1Q "https://youtu.be/EvWsmX9mp1Q")

> @jjfcpa said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @Jaygolf37 said:

> > > I am most surprised with how they perform on tight lies. That half groove on the bottom must be working.

> >

> > Yeah I found the Stealths to have exceptional spin lower in the face on tight lies maybe due to that groove. The one thing I don't get about the Eye 2 version is why they didn't do what Cally and TM did with the PM and Hi-Toe and put grooves all over the face out to the toe.

>

> You may not agree with this, but this reviewer thinks it does accomplish anything because of where the ball impacts the face.

>

> [https://youtu.be/EvWsmX9mp1Q](https://youtu.be/EvWsmX9mp1Q "https://youtu.be/EvWsmX9mp1Q")

>

You know I kinda wonder if Ping didn't want to chase that design. Ping wedges are rarely found in bags that dont have Ping irons. So, if you like the Ping look, you'll be fine without the extra look....

I dunno.

The Eye2 wedge is more about the grind and hosel configuration than anything. The high toe aspect was more to make it blend with the original Eye2 iron set, and the attempt at extreme perimeter weighting. Having the grooves put on the toe was just something Phil came up with at Callaway because of the extreme amount he slides the club under the ball especially out of rough. That video review is a joke, that guy is hitting off of artificial turf and has 1/100th the skill Phil does with a wedge.

That being said the modern high toe and Eye 2 use the toe to raise the cog and provide some forgiveness higher on the face if you slide under it a bit too much from deep rough. As the Brits say it is a bit of a Marmite club.

The grind is a brilliant design in the hands of the right person using a certain technique, but if your technique isn’t similar to what Phil does I doubt it will do much good. I have an original Eye2 SW I mess around with, but I always end up with a M grind or the Ping SS in the bag. If I wanted a club just for flops though this would be it.

> @jjfcpa said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @Jaygolf37 said:

> > > I am most surprised with how they perform on tight lies. That half groove on the bottom must be working.

> >

> > Yeah I found the Stealths to have exceptional spin lower in the face on tight lies maybe due to that groove. The one thing I don't get about the Eye 2 version is why they didn't do what Cally and TM did with the PM and Hi-Toe and put grooves all over the face out to the toe.

>

> You may not agree with this, but this reviewer thinks it does accomplish anything because of where the ball impacts the face.

>

> [https://youtu.be/EvWsmX9mp1Q](https://youtu.be/EvWsmX9mp1Q "https://youtu.be/EvWsmX9mp1Q")

>

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I want those eye2 wedges....I really do

But 200CAD for that wedge when I have basically a brand new PM grind Callaway which is the same thing is hard.

I'll see how long I can hold out

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @Ivyguy said:

> > @jjfcpa said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @Jaygolf37 said:

> > > > I am most surprised with how they perform on tight lies. That half groove on the bottom must be working.

> > >

> > > Yeah I found the Stealths to have exceptional spin lower in the face on tight lies maybe due to that groove. The one thing I don't get about the Eye 2 version is why they didn't do what Cally and TM did with the PM and Hi-Toe and put grooves all over the face out to the toe.

> >

> > You may not agree with this, but this reviewer thinks it does accomplish anything because of where the ball impacts the face.

> >

> > [https://youtu.be/EvWsmX9mp1Q](https://youtu.be/EvWsmX9mp1Q "https://youtu.be/EvWsmX9mp1Q")

> >

>

> You know I kinda wonder if Ping didn't want to chase that design. Ping wedges are rarely found in bags that dont have Ping irons. So, if you like the Ping look, you'll be fine without the extra look....

>

> I dunno.

I watched that video the other day and didn't agree with it based on what I know about grooves, which could be wrong because I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination.

However, I was under the impression that often times when opening the face, you are rarely making a swing that is square to the target but cutting across the ball more. Furthermore, grooves are designed to increase spin because they channel debris away from the face and allow more of the surface area of the wedge to contact the ball. Not because "more grooves = more spin" or anything like that. So with this video, while yes, on a straight shot not in the rough using a square clubface to the target, probably doesn't make a bit of difference. But in a situation where you have rough between the ball and the clubface, and you are making a swing that is more out to in cutting across the ball and creating a great chance to make contact on the toe. I am pretty sure the grooves do make a difference.

I just replaced a 58° Glide ES grind with 58° Glide 3.0 Eye2 grind, and found 2 differences: much more spin with the new wedge out of the sand (I'm sure the new grooves help), and the new wedge is much easier to hit flop shots with -- it lays open better. These are the easiest clubs to hit out of green side bunkers I've ever owned. All in all, the Eye2 grind seems an improvement.

• Like 1

Here’s how versatile they are: from my round today, and on consecutive holes, I hit a couple shots to about 3 feet each. First was an airmailed tee shot on a par 3...left it long and on the bank behind with a fluffy downhill lie (Green also slopes back to front). I opened it up and hit a low spinner that check dgreat. Next hole was a “drivable” par 4...so I was 20 yards short and sitting on a very tight lie, just short of a false front (pin on the front). Same club, but not opened up. Hit a low pitch that missed the collar, but checked on the 2nd hop. That is why I love these clubs.

I’m not a pro, and I did hit some crappy shots with them today too, but their versatility is why I got them.

Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska

Have been using Glide 3.0 58 Eye2 for three weeks. This thing is money around the greens. One hop and stop is easy from 50 yards and in. Excellent out of the sand. High floaters from even the tightest of lies are no problem. Came from original Glide 58 SS, which I never thought I would bench, and could not be happier.

I loved the Glide 2.0. I wasn't a big fan of the Eye2 model of the Glide 3. I will say the spin on them was fantastic. I'm leaning toward trading it in for a SS model instead.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

Won a 54 in a tournament. Played with it last night, the ball really checks up with this club. Best thing I can say is it is a typical Ping product......reliable and good!. I am playing 210s and the wedge fits great in with the 210s

Ping G425 
Ping G410
XR 16 3 and 4 Hybrid
Titleist T300 w/MMT 125s
SeeMore Putter
Vokey Wedges

I had a chance to compare my MD4 48* and 54* wedges against the Ping 3.0 46* and 50* wedge.

I found the 48* MD4 carried further and had more spin than the Ping 3.0 46*. The MD4 carried maybe 5-10 yards further but I couldn't explain the increased spin that the MD4 delivered. Same relative shaft on both wedges.

I then tested the 50* Ping 3.0 wedge against my 54* MD4 and found that the distance was just slightly longer for the Ping and as you'd expect, the MD4 provided more spin.

Finally, I wanted to compare the MD4 54* against a MD4 58* because I've had some trouble holding greens with the 54*. I found that the 54 was spinning in the 7000-8000 range and the 58 was in the 9000-10000 range. Surprisingly, I found that I could get the same distance with both wedges. All the MD4 wedges have the same shafts. Graphite wedge flex.

I think the MD4's are staying in the bag until I get some more practice time with the Ping's to see if anything changes. At about 2/3's the price of the Ping, the MD4's seem to be a great value too.

Still waiting on my 54* Eye 2 grind to arrive, but I've had the 60* Eye 2 for about a week now...............it's very good around the greens. I've played Glide ES models in the past and liked them..........these are better. I recently had been using a TM High Toe, it's a nice wedge but not as versatile from bad lies as the 60* Eye 2..............and it's probably the best bunker club you'll ever hit.

I’m not sure why, but I can’t get into the eye 2 shape. It just looks terrible to my eye. The other thing that I’m not crazy about is the lighter weight. Personally, I like my wedges to be heavier. I really like my stealth 2.0’s but it sounds like I’ll need to custom order the 3.0’s if I stick with PING for my next set.

I t> @leftycabe said:

> I’m not sure why, but I can’t get into the eye 2 shape. It just looks terrible to my eye. The other thing that I’m not crazy about is the lighter weight. Personally, I like my wedges to be heavier. I really like my stealth 2.0’s but it sounds like I’ll need to custom order the 3.0’s if I stick with PING for my next set.

I always custom order. You get them exactly how you like. Also, if you send your 2.0s in to Ping, they can adjust the weight heavier for you. Otherwise there's always lead tape.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

I hit eye 2 today off a mat at Golf Galaxy. I will be buying them before the week is out. Love them and make me miss my Eye 2 set. Hmmm...I might have to find a eye 2 set with zz lites!

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Swapped the Eye2 54 * for SS 54* under the PGA Tour playability guarantee program.

I hit full and partial shots with it at the range today. It worked much better than the Eye 2 did for me. Head to head against the Stealth the distances were the same. The trajectory was slightly slower with the Glide 3. The Stealth felt MUCH softer.

Tomorrow AM I'll have an extended short game practice session with it. The one thing I liked about the Eye 2 is it would hop and stop. If I can get the consistency I had with the 54* ES with the SS, I will make the switch....

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

> @Drawman said:

> TXG did a spin comparison of a Vokey wedge and a Glide 3.0 wedge in wet conditions

).

>

> The results are astonishing.

>

> The Hydropearl 2.0 finish, while not as durable as the old PING finishes, does its job.

yep, really surprising! Also, these guys do some of the best videos out there, everyweek!

• Like 2