Iblade vs. i210

boxerdoc

I have had the iblade since it came out but considering updating to i210. Obviously, I will be trying them out but wondering what everyone’s thoughts and reviews are. I feel like this year my irons have been shorter than previous and was curious how things would compare to i210 and if it’s even worth the change?!

I've tried both, and for me the iblade is the better iron. It gives me the right fit spin and trajectory. I prefer the thinner sole, topline and less offset as well. Not really knocking the i210. They are good irons.

• Like 1

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

> @boxerdoc said:

> Rainkingjr, care to expand a little more? If there’s nothing better I’m fine sticking with iblades but if i500 or i210s are more automatic then Bring it on!

> A side note I play off a 9 index, hit 7 iron 165-170 for reference.

>

Sorry, I was at dinner and couldn't say much. I tried twice to move to i210 from iBlade. It just wasn't happening. For me, the much wider sole of the i210 was a no go. I found the iBlade to be every bit as forgiving and dare I say, more forgiving. Feel wasn't close for me. I much prefer the feel of the iBlade. iBlades just checked all of the boxes for me.

> @boxerdoc said:

> Thanks that helps, that’s how I felt when I was fitted into the iblades over the i200 years ago

iBlade is the better iron for me. Can't deal with the sole width on i210. iBlade softer, more precise, more playable, basically as forgiving. Ticks all the boxes.

• Like 1

> @balls_deep said:

> > @boxerdoc said:

> > Thanks that helps, that’s how I felt when I was fitted into the iblades over the i200 years ago

>

> iBlade is the better iron for me. Can't deal with the sole width on i210. iBlade softer, more precise, more playable, basically as forgiving. Ticks all the boxes.

Ditto. My disdain for the i210 is well documented. The iBlades are a superior iron in every important category including forgiveness.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @Foreleft said:

> Glad people like the iBlades, but to allege they are as forgiving as the i Series is simply misleading. Even the people responsible for selling both models do not claim that. iBlades may be more forgiving for specific players with specific misses, but overall, no.

My anecdotal experience and Maltby's MPF ratings disagree with you. MOI essentially the same, C dim is close, lower CG on iBlade. Hovland uses i210 in his short irons because they fly lower and spin less and uses the iBlade in the long irons because he wants height. Don't believe everything marketing tells you.

https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/06/19/viktor-hovland-signs-equipment-deal-with-ping-explains-whats-in-his-bag-g410-iblade-i210.html

• Like 3

> @balls_deep said:

> > @Foreleft said:

> > Glad people like the iBlades, but to allege they are as forgiving as the i Series is simply misleading. Even the people responsible for selling both models do not claim that. iBlades may be more forgiving for specific players with specific misses, but overall, no.

>

> My anecdotal experience and Maltby's MPF ratings disagree with you. MOI essentially the same, C dim is close, lower CG on iBlade. Hovland uses i210 in his short irons because they fly lower and spin less and uses the iBlade in the long irons because he wants height. Don't believe everything marketing tells you.

>

> https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/06/19/viktor-hovland-signs-equipment-deal-with-ping-explains-whats-in-his-bag-g410-iblade-i210.html

+1. What's really misleading although it doesn't bother me in the least is using the term "blade" in iBlades. They are nothing of the sort. They are a player's cavity at best. Blade length is pretty substantial. All of the forgiveness you would ever want or need coupled with the ability to hit any shot in your personal arsenal.

• Like 3

I think the 210s are the best irons on the market, they just go straight and are workable when needed. They are not as long as the 785s (which are fantastic) but in the end the 210s were more consistent. As for feel that is subjective.

Ping G425 
Ping G410
XR 16 3 and 4 Hybrid
Titleist T300 w/MMT 125s
SeeMore Putter
Vokey Wedges

Some funny things being thrown around here. Offset is exactly the same in p-7 for both irons. Only in the 6 iron does the 210 start to have more offset. They are honestly hard to tell apart at address. The big difference like people have said is sole width. Since GolfWRX is full of perfect ball strikers that never hit a fat shot once in a while the iblade is as forgiving as they come. But for those like me who hit a fat shot here and there, the i210 don’t punish nearly as much. That’s what it came down to for me when testing and I’m a 0-2 handicap. It’s also interesting that the i210 is the most played iron on the LPGA whereas the iblade is better represented by the male staffers. Anyways, I think it comes down to turf interaction and whether you want a little more help in the long irons.

• Like 2

Doesn't Victor Hovland play the I Blades in long irons and the 210's in the shorter irons ? That would lead me to believe the i blades are a bit more forgiving.

I read through the thread fairly quickly but did someone say they were a high handicapper that finds one easier to work that the other? Not doubting but for some reason that made me chuckle.

> @nuttinbutapeanut said:

> Doesn't Victor Hovland play the I Blades in long irons and the 210's in the shorter irons ? That would lead me to believe the i blades are a bit more forgiving.

> I read through the thread fairly quickly but did someone say they were a high handicapper that finds one easier to work that the other? Not doubting but for some reason that made me chuckle.

He does, but he’s the exception. All the other guys with a mixed set have i210s in the long irons. Plenty of those.

> @"High Draws Low Fades" said:

> > @nuttinbutapeanut said:

> > Doesn't Victor Hovland play the I Blades in long irons and the 210's in the shorter irons ? That would lead me to believe the i blades are a bit more forgiving.

> > I read through the thread fairly quickly but did someone say they were a high handicapper that finds one easier to work that the other? Not doubting but for some reason that made me chuckle.

>

> He does, but he’s the exception. All the other guys with a mixed set have i210s in the long irons. Plenty of those.

He likes them because the i210 fly lower and the iblades fly higher for him

• Like 1

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

> @Kale_m said:

> > @"High Draws Low Fades" said:

> > > @nuttinbutapeanut said:

> > > Doesn't Victor Hovland play the I Blades in long irons and the 210's in the shorter irons ? That would lead me to believe the i blades are a bit more forgiving.

> > > I read through the thread fairly quickly but did someone say they were a high handicapper that finds one easier to work that the other? Not doubting but for some reason that made me chuckle.

> >

> > He does, but he’s the exception. All the other guys with a mixed set have i210s in the long irons. Plenty of those.

>

> He likes them because the i210 fly lower and the iblades fly higher for him

Correct. As always, get fit, and play what works. We are debating the subjective. My feels are different than everyone else’s feels. You couldn’t pay me to play i210’s but some guy in here said they were the best ever. To each their own.

Hovland plays his setup due to the shot window he wants to see with specific irons. Unless one of us is currently saving our PGA Tour card at the Wyndham I wouldn’t base what’s best for you on what top 50 tour pro’s play.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> Some funny things being thrown around here. Offset is exactly the same in p-7 for both irons. Only in the 6 iron does the 210 start to have more offset. They are honestly hard to tell apart at address. The big difference like people have said is sole width. Since GolfWRX is full of perfect ball strikers that never hit a fat shot once in a while the iblade is as forgiving as they come. But for those like me who hit a fat shot here and there, the i210 don’t punish nearly as much. That’s what it came down to for me when testing and I’m a 0-2 handicap. It’s also interesting that the i210 is the most played iron on the LPGA whereas the iblade is better represented by the male staffers. Anyways, I think it comes down to turf interaction and whether you want a little more help in the long irons.

A fat shot is a fat shot no matter which iron you are using. The ball is going nowhere fast if you hit the ground first. You could also argue that a thin sole is less likely to catch on the way through. I know I hit less heavy shots with a smaller profile. Anyways I think iron forgiveness is totally overstated.

• Like 1

> > @nuttinbutapeanut said:

> > Doesn't Victor Hovland play the I Blades in long irons and the 210's in the shorter irons ? That would lead me to believe the i blades are a bit more forgiving.

> > I read through the thread fairly quickly but did someone say they were a high handicapper that finds one easier to work that the other? Not doubting but for some reason that made me chuckle.

>

> He does, but he’s the exception. All the other guys with a mixed set have i210s in the long irons. Plenty of those.

Okay, that makes sense then.

I have had 2 sets of i210 and am currently in iblades. I loved the first set of i210 I had but the ho in me always wins, so I sold em. Bought another set of i210 this season and a set of iblades at the same time. For me, the iblades win out in all categories. I am a high ball hitter and definitely like hitting the high ball, cause i think it’s easier to flight it down when needed and I feel the iblades give me more confidence in doing that. I had to work a little harder to flight the ball down with i210 but then again i was still able to and it wasn’t like there was a huge difference, just easier with iblades. The sole and turf interaction is quite better with the IBlade too, as the thinner sole just works better for me. I only picked up a few mph ball speed with the i210 over the IBlade but I’m not after that. For reference I’m close to same speed as you with a 7 iron, 165-170 carry with 7 iron at standard IBlade loft. Honestly I don’t think you are missing out and from what i keep hearing, Ping is coming out with a new IBlade hopefully. I would game what you have and wait and see.

• Like 1

> Some funny things being thrown around here. Offset is exactly the same in p-7 for both irons. Only in the 6 iron does the 210 start to have more offset. They are honestly hard to tell apart at address. The big difference like people have said is sole width. Since GolfWRX is full of perfect ball strikers that never hit a fat shot once in a while the iblade is as forgiving as they come. But for those like me who hit a fat shot here and there, the i210 don’t punish nearly as much. That’s what it came down to for me when testing and I’m a 0-2 handicap. It’s also interesting that the i210 is the most played iron on the LPGA whereas the iblade is better represented by the male staffers. Anyways, I think it comes down to turf interaction and whether you want a little more help in the long irons.

i210 won again this week on the LPGA. I originally thought the i210 was favored there because they helped hit the ball a bit higher (most of these players in somewhere in the 90s mph swinging a driver. I'm not sure what your SS is but it does seem like things are different when you are well north of 100 mph). But this seems to contradict what Victor Hovland is saying.

Also, absent people like Lexi, it doesn't seem like many LPGA players have overly steep swings that would benefit from a wider sole. But they definitely prefer this iron head for whatever reasons.

• Like 1