2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Missed an 8 footer on 18 for birdie and a 79 (I’ve never broken 80)... what are your heartbreaks?

dxdgenert

Heartbreak? I got your heartbreak right here, people.

A month ago I bought a house next to a golf course so I could spend the remaining years of my life playing as much as possible. Last Sunday, I was walking around in the dark, fell down the stairs, and cracked a vertebrae in my neck. I may never be able to play again.

Well sorry to read that. Hope you are able to heal fully.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

AJGA qualifier, 3rd hole i have a 3 footer straight uphill, and there is the worlds largest spike mark directly between my ball and the hole. I hit my putt and its going dead center, hits the spike mark, bounces over the hole and sits on the back lip. Never seen anything like that before. That stroke was the difference between me being in a playoff or missing by 1.

AJGA qualifier, 3rd hole i have a 3 footer straight uphill, and there is the worlds largest spike mark directly between my ball and the hole. I hit my putt and its going dead center, hits the spike mark, bounces over the hole and sits on the back lip. Never seen anything like that before. That stroke was the difference between me being in a playoff or missing by 1.

It was Mickelson!

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

• 2 months later...

1.As a Junior in HS I four putted on the 9th hole of a match. Due to that 4 putt we had a 3 way tie for the league title. If I just 3 putt (not a lot to ask) we would have won the league outright for the 4th year in a row.

2.As a senior in HS I won the 4th spot on my team going into Regionals. I was pumped because I beat out a good player on our team. During regionals I started off -1 through 4 holes. I finished with a 87. If I would have shot 84 or better we wouldve went to States. That sucked, because it felt like everyone was counting on me.

I think my pursuit of being a better golfer as an adult is attributed to these 2 incidents. I now play to a 4 and I intend to get that to 1 or 2 this year. Wish me luck.

Made mistake of knowing my score going to 18 tee. Need double(6)for 1st 79 ever. Tee shot pushed into woods but only 135 from downhill bowl shaped green. Instead of punching out I jack it dead left across fairway, starting to implode. Three goes over green as I’m now pumped up with adrenaline and fear. Chip on, three putt 7 for 80. Have not shot below 82 since, five years ago

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

I got to the 18th tee at my club (par 70) with a gross score of 74. I was looking at breaking 80 off the standard tees for the first time ever.

The 18th at my club is a little tricky. It's a long(ish) par 4 and the green is narrow front to back and on a slight platform. As a result I have to lay up just before the bunkers so that I can attempt a wedge in. It is also tree lined and a bit narrow initially so you have to be careful with your drive.

It's typically a double bogey for me but on this particular day my ball striking had been phenomenal. I'd hardly put a foot wrong and in fact had pulled off several great shots. I was in the zone! So I rocked up to the tee with my driver in hand, and decided to go for it. Maybe I'd actually be able to attempt a GIR for once but at least I'd finish with another great drive.

So I let fly..and put a lovely push fade on the ball sending it towards the trees on the right :(

That cost me a punch out then I had to do my usual layup and I two putted out for a double bogey.

So I walked off with 80. Still a very nice score - and the joint best ever. But I failed to break 80 because I got too cocky. Hey ho :)

High School district championship, top 2 teams +3 low at large individuals qualify for regionals. (It was a very soft league, I was averagibg 45 strokes for 9 holes on an easy course (I got that down to 40 as a senior!))

So I know who the two top teams are, and they take the good golfers with them, so the at-large spots are up for grabs for slobs like me. 36 holes individual stroke play.

Background over

I put myself into contention over 27 holes. On 12 I hit a mammoth drive to cut a corner of a dogleg. We looked for it for 5 minutes... lost ball. Rehit at tee... after my approach as we are walking up, my original ball is sitting in the fairway 50 yards up from where we looked. But it’s no longer the ball in play. I dejectedly kicked it into the creek I had in fact, successfully avoided.

I took a triple on the hole when I 3-jacked the green.

Missed the cut by 2 strokes. Would I have parred it from where I was? Who knows... but it stung.

But at least I qualified the next year, and at least I didnt do what my buddie did: miss the cut by taking quintuple on the last hole when he was 4 strokes ahead of the next guy...

I didn't know it at the time put the triple I made on 16 in the last round of our 2017 club championship was the three strokes that kept me from going out in a play off.

Drove left into the water, dropped and hit the approach in a greenside bunker. Blasted out and was so hot I ran the bogey putt three feet by and then missed again.

For some strange reason I kept quite cool and finished with two pars. I was pretty content walking off the last green having played my best club championship to date, 75-73-76, and I still wasn't very bothered when I saw the leaderboard and noticed the leaders didn't have their best that day and that I was only three shots behind in 4th place.

It wasn't until late in the evening it dawned on me what could have been.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

Not tragic, but aggravating... A couple of years ago, I was having a not-so-good round. But, I could break 90 with a bogie on the par-4 18th.

I hit a drive into the first cut. From 160 yard out I lofted a 6i that lands a foot onto the green and backs off to light rough.

About 30 feet away from cup, I take an 8i for a chip and run. I start my takeaway when another guy walks right in front of me about two feet away! I stop my swing, don't reload properly, and hit a chunky chip about 10 feet onto the green. From there, I run a putt three feet past, and lip out the return putt for a 6.

As everyone leaves the green, I put my ball on the fringe area and chip it again. Of course, it rolls straight into the cup. Did knucklehead cost me a birdie?

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

When I was a teenager, before I had ever shot in the 30's for 9 holes, I had a putt probably less than 2 feet that I missed for par and a 39 on my 9th hole. I was by myself, played the last hole flawless and thought no doubt I was finally shooting a 39. And I missed it. I don't think I have ever been so mad in my life. I used to walk to this course as it was less than a mile from my house and I wasn't old enough to drive yet. The walk home was just me restraining from throwing my bag into traffic.

I had never broken 40 for 9 holes several years back. Was 1 over through 8 and only playing 9 that day.

9th is a long par 5 but not terribly challenging. I bomb a drive and position perfectly such that a pond on the left side of the fairway is now out of play (or so I thought). I’m a lefty, and this pond is a bit problematic sometimes depending on where my drive ends up, but I walk up to my ball relieved that it is completely out of play. Except, as I stand over my ball, I think “this pond is now out of play unless I just cold toe-slice this ball”...and guess what I do...I toe-slice it right into the pond. I’m so mad now, but play the remaining shots about as I would have expected, end up with a triple and a 40. I hadn’t hit a poor shot all day up until that point. It’s amazing what a random thought standing over the ball can do to your swing...

I missed about a 12 foot for birdie on the 18th for round of 69. 2 under 70 was still the low 18 hole score of my golf life. I've always attributed the score to having worked all night, then going straight to the course without any sleep. I was extremely relaxed the entire round.

I'd met her via a dating site, we were getting on really well for 6 months then she dumped me because of a dream she had.

.... oh you mean golf?

I'll play this one,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think I dated her sister, called her outside night club on second date, no answer, 30 minutes later I left. Next day she said how sorry she was, she thought she heard her cell while IN the nightclub, said she was ready to go home with me, but worked out for the best, husband was angry she got home late (never mentioned it on first date!) and she had forgotten her Prozac.

I barely missed a putt from about 5 feet for an 80 in my last tournament during my senior year of high school. Tapped in for 81. I needed an 80 to make the Area tournament. It was the perfect father and son moment, but I missed the putt. I wasn't going to get any further than Area, but it would've been nice to make it for my dad.

OMG had so many of those...3 ftrs on 18 to break 80, many times makeable putts to break 80

I tell you what tho once I did break 80 a few times I rarely went back....I started saying in 70's consistently....I still go back occasionally

But where 82 or 83 was good rd b4 now it's a horrible rd....mental side changed for me more than my actual game

• 5 months later...

FYI: Just shot a 79!

Out in 40, in with a 39 (even was able to bogey 18 and still have a cushion). I'll probably post more later but I'm pretty excited and satisfied, right now.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

> @dxdgenert said:

> FYI: Just shot a 79!

> Out in 40, in with a 39 (even was able to bogey 18 and still have a cushion). I'll probably post more later but I'm pretty excited and satisfied, right now.

Congrats OP! We sound similar. I've never broken 80, shot 80 maybe one time but have a bunch of 81's. One time that still sticks with me. I was playing good and I had a run of four straight par's in the middle part of the round which is really good for me. Going for the 5th in a row I hit a good drive right up the middle on a short par 4 that left me with a full PW into the green, pin was in the middle of a small green. Thought to myself, just put a nice tempo swing on the ball. When the ball was in air I literally thought to myself "I just par'd my 5th hole in a row" because I hit it good and the ball was right on line with the pin. It landed on the front section of the green and literally bounced about 10 feet in the air and proceeded to roll over the back of the green down a slope and into a bush. I double bogie'd the hole. It turns out there was one little section of the green that was literally burned out brown and bare and hard as concrete and I'd managed to find that one little section. After the round I added up my score for yet another 81.

I’ve been playing pretty poorly lately. I’ve broken 80 three times, but have been lucky to break 90 over most of May through July. I just couldn’t seem to find my swing.

However, about 3 weeks ago I went back and watched a lesson I had last year that ultimately led me to finding a little something again. Played two weeks ago but only had time for 9. Played pretty well, and was pounding the ball, but didn’t really keep score.

I played again earlier this week. Didn’t really have any expectations as I played a course out of town that I haven’t played in a while, and always struggled on. It’s long with wind in your face pretty much the whole way it seems.

Anyway, I start with a birdie. Then a double, a triple, and then another birdie. I was hitting the ball really well and just killing it. I ended up with 4 birdies on the day, which I’ve never done. I also had two triples and two doubles. One of the triples was a killer. I had a 9 iron in my hands from the middle of the fairway. Hit a fair approach that missed just right. The problem was that I was completely blocked from any hope of getting close to the flag by a tree. I knew I had a good score going, and so of course I tried a hero shot...hit the tree, ended up with a triple.

This was on the 12th I think, and so I needed to go 1 under the rest of the way to break 80. I parred every hole 13 through 17. Got to 18, par 5 that isn’t really reachable. I murdered my drive but on a line a little too far right to consider going for the green. Hit a perfect layup to a perfect yardage. Tried to get cute with a wedge to knock it tight to the hole and flared it. But it left a relatively easy chip that was makeable.

But I didn’t make it, of course. Settled for an 81 after I swiped at the 3 foot putt at the end. Didn’t really care about the putt, because I wanted the 79. Still a solid round.

The two triples were killers. The other was on a reachable par 5 , but I put two balls in the water. They were stupid shots too because at the time I wasn’t aware how long I was, so I was trying to kill the shots to attempt to reach in two. Little did I know that two easy swings would have gotten me there. I just need to figure out, now, how to avoid the big numbers.

> @dxdgenert said:

> Not sure if this is the right sub forum but today, I had a putt at 79. This is a huge number for me, as I’ve never broken 80.

Totally feel your pain. I shot 3 80’s this weekend and two of them I had ~5’ putts to make 79. On the bright side, I tied my lowest score ever 3 times haha.