Any Long Term Srixon 785 Irons Reviews??

tigerfan23

> @lordemsworth said:

> The longest iron I carry is a five. I generally do not feel that I have trouble hitting a five iron. I had trouble hitting a five consistently with this set. It is lifted at 25 vs the 27 I normally play. I felt the 919 Tour felt better than the z785, but I also feel the new zforged feel better than the Mp18 MB.

>

> So, not really sure what I’m saying - other than I prefer hitting a 27 degree 5 iron. And in this skimmed down design, the vaole is toned down, and these have no tungsten like previous models. I trust Srixon designers, but not sure how these are as forgiving as previous versions.

>

Surprised they neglected tungsten in the long irons...proven that it works. They’ve done it already. Why not include it? Most workable iron ever? No we don’t want that in 4-6 iron lol.

Z945 were already goat Srixon iron now even more so.

full disclosure - huge srixon fan, own 545, 565, 785, have bought 4 other sets for my buddy as well. so i have hit, played with every set of srixon in the last 4 years with the exception of z forged. i think they are quality irons, the 545 and 745 are probably my fav. 545 is chunky, square and does what is meant to do, long and straight. 745 typical CB iron, squat head, and you get what you put in. also the v-sole interaction, i dont 'want to say its a gimmick but its no better or worse than any other oem

if spin is an issue for you, there is no discernible difference in the CB category of irons. swing dynamics and ball choice will play more of a factor. that said if you are using your mid irons more than 4 times in a round (not including par 3s) , you are probably playing the wrong tees, or you need way more distance off the tee. over the course of a year, you will get way more value from driving the ball better vs trying to get your 6 iron to spin 500 rpm more.

Fair point on the spin and balls impact, but is that statement about mid irons really true?

For some, 160/165 yards is a 6 iron. On a 400 yard par 4, hitting a 240 yard drive, you're left with 160 to the pin. Playing par 5s as three shot holes would also result in mid iron use. On a course I play - 6300 yards - there are 8 holes that are 395 or greater. Based on how I'm driving that day, I could pull a 5 or 6 or 7 iron up to 8 times, not including par 3s.

It may also mean I need to learn how to play golf, but I think we hit more mid-irons than we think, sometimes.

I may need to re-visit learning how to play golf, though.

Also, get your lofts checked people. I took my 5i in to the pro shop to have my pro check its specs. It was 23° from the factory. Kind of a significant difference IMO. The rest of the set is going to get a full loft check ASAP.

I have to disagree myself about mid irons. Plenty of courses and holes out there with doglegs and layups requiring mid irons. That's without wind- if you are playing into a headwind every iron in the bag is going to get a workout. You have to be prepared for any type of condition and there's no reason to not get more out of every club in your bag.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

• 3 months later...

Im posting this because Srixon simply does not get the love they deserve. Im a Titleist guy, my whole bag is Titleist. Even a Scotty putter. Its not that Im a fanboy, Ive been fitted for every club in my bag from either Club Champion or True Spec. They just work for me. However, when I broke a few shafts on my AP2 set, I decided to get fitted at both Club Champion and True Spec. Im a 3 handicap, True Spec fitted me for the P790's, Club Champion the Srixon Z785's. I bought both. My review is simply comparing them to my trusty AP2's Ive had since 2015. RIP Titleist. :(

The P790's went back almost immediately. They didn't fit my eye, and they felt terrible.The Z785 however are in another class altogether. A real players iron that probably feels as good as any iron Ive ever hit. Im seriously hitting darts with these things. And the looks? Fantastic. The only knock I can say about them is why are the lofts so low? Switching from the AP2' to the Z785's had me missing every green long. My advice is if you are going to buy these ( and are an experienced player), get your loft's checked and dialed in. Hitting 6 irons to the green will still stop but it will be way long.

> @DBC said:

> Im posting this because Srixon simply does not get the love they deserve. Im a Titleist guy, my whole bag is Titleist. Even a Scotty putter. Its not that Im a fanboy, Ive been fitted for every club in my bag from either Club Champion or True Spec. They just work for me. However, when I broke a few shafts on my AP2 set, I decided to get fitted at both Club Champion and True Spec. Im a 3 handicap, True Spec fitted me for the P790's, Club Champion the Srixon Z785's. I bought both. My review is simply comparing them to my trusty AP2's Ive had since 2015. RIP Titleist. :(

> The P790's went back almost immediately. They didn't fit my eye, and they felt terrible.The Z785 however are in another class altogether. A real players iron that probably feels as good as any iron Ive ever hit. Im seriously hitting darts with these things. And the looks? Fantastic. The only knock I can say about them is why are the lofts so low? Switching from the AP2' to the Z785's had me missing every green long. My advice is if you are going to buy these ( and are an experienced player), get your loft's checked and dialed in. Hitting 6 irons to the green will still stop but it will be way long.

Players distance iron??

> @ssfranny said:

> > @DBC said:

> > Im posting this because Srixon simply does not get the love they deserve. Im a Titleist guy, my whole bag is Titleist. Even a Scotty putter. Its not that Im a fanboy, Ive been fitted for every club in my bag from either Club Champion or True Spec. They just work for me. However, when I broke a few shafts on my AP2 set, I decided to get fitted at both Club Champion and True Spec. Im a 3 handicap, True Spec fitted me for the P790's, Club Champion the Srixon Z785's. I bought both. My review is simply comparing them to my trusty AP2's Ive had since 2015. RIP Titleist. :(

> > The P790's went back almost immediately. They didn't fit my eye, and they felt terrible.The Z785 however are in another class altogether. A real players iron that probably feels as good as any iron Ive ever hit. Im seriously hitting darts with these things. And the looks? Fantastic. The only knock I can say about them is why are the lofts so low? Switching from the AP2' to the Z785's had me missing every green long. My advice is if you are going to buy these ( and are an experienced player), get your loft's checked and dialed in. Hitting 6 irons to the green will still stop but it will be way long.

>

> Players distance iron??

>

Im sorry, what?

had mine all season so far and love them. my only gripe is my 7i is wearing down the face from all my practice and whatnot. there's a nick in the bottom of the 9i that i ground/filed/sanded out -- but as for playability and the like -- they're some of the best darn irons i've ever used.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Same here, been playing them since they came out. Great irons! Haven't even considered any other irons since playing these. > @gioguy21 said:

> had mine all season so far and love them. my only gripe is my 7i is wearing down the face from all my practice and whatnot. there's a nick in the bottom of the 9i that i ground/filed/sanded out -- but as for playability and the like -- they're some of the best darn irons i've ever used.

Best irons I've ever played, and I've played nearly everything. I am a bona fide iron junkie, and I am trying to get rid of these to try the "next best thing," but they're too good to let go.

To out it in perspective, I've played nearly every players iron offering from ping, Titleist, Callaway, and Mizuno, and a bunch of other sets from other OEMs during the past 15+ years - likely 50-100 sets during that time (it's an Illness). These offer the best combination of feel, precision, distance, and consistency I've ever played. Add an unexpected level of forgiveness from the sole profile, and these are really, really hard to beat.

Of all the sets I've tried, this night be the first set that I believe truly help me score better. The combination of the perfect turf interaction, added distance, and directional consistency (ie, straight as an arrow) is dropping my scores. Factor in that they are some of the softest feeling/sounding clubs around, and I can't recommend them enough.

• Like 2

I am seriously considering the 785 irons to replace AP3. I was considering the 585 for 5 and maybe 6 and 785 for rest. I am a 77 year old scratch golfer and may finally move to R flex. Looking at Nippon 950gh. Driver ss is in the 90 mph range. May go with all 785 and skip the 585 given all the positive reviews.

I've been playing a Srixon combo since April, with the 785 6 and 7 iron and 8/9 and pitching wedge in the Z forged.

I am not too pleased with them thus far.

I had them fitted with the dynamic gold s300 and 2 degrees upright, but the lies were terribly off when they arrived from Srixon and the shafts feel like absolute boards.

On the positive note, I've been getting very good distances from them and the distance control is very solid as well.

However, I have a feeling my irons will go to the bst any day now.

> @BCULAW said:

> Best irons I've ever played, and I've played nearly everything. I am a bona fide iron junkie, and I am trying to get rid of these to try the "next best thing," but they're too good to let go.

>

> To out it in perspective, I've played nearly every players iron offering from ping, Titleist, Callaway, and Mizuno, and a bunch of other sets from other OEMs during the past 15+ years - likely 50-100 sets during that time (it's an Illness). These offer the best combination of feel, precision, distance, and consistency I've ever played. Add an unexpected level of forgiveness from the sole profile, and these are really, really hard to beat.

>

> Of all the sets I've tried, this night be the first set that I believe truly help me score better. The combination of the perfect turf interaction, added distance, and directional consistency (ie, straight as an arrow) is dropping my scores. Factor in that they are some of the softest feeling/sounding clubs around, and I can't recommend them enough.

BC -

What shafts do you have in your set?

> @ProjectX_Mizuno said:

> > @BCULAW said:

> > Best irons I've ever played, and I've played nearly everything. I am a bona fide iron junkie, and I am trying to get rid of these to try the "next best thing," but they're too good to let go.

> >

> > To out it in perspective, I've played nearly every players iron offering from ping, Titleist, Callaway, and Mizuno, and a bunch of other sets from other OEMs during the past 15+ years - likely 50-100 sets during that time (it's an Illness). These offer the best combination of feel, precision, distance, and consistency I've ever played. Add an unexpected level of forgiveness from the sole profile, and these are really, really hard to beat.

> >

> > Of all the sets I've tried, this night be the first set that I believe truly help me score better. The combination of the perfect turf interaction, added distance, and directional consistency (ie, straight as an arrow) is dropping my scores. Factor in that they are some of the softest feeling/sounding clubs around, and I can't recommend them enough.

>

> BC -

>

> What shafts do you have in your set?

I'm playing the stock Modus 120 stiff. Very impressive combo, IMO.

> @lordemsworth said:

> Fair point on the spin and balls impact, but is that statement about mid irons really true?

> For some, 160/165 yards is a 6 iron. On a 400 yard par 4, hitting a 240 yard drive, you're left with 160 to the pin. Playing par 5s as three shot holes would also result in mid iron use. On a course I play - 6300 yards - there are 8 holes that are 395 or greater. Based on how I'm driving that day, I could pull a 5 or 6 or 7 iron up to 8 times, not including par 3s.

> It may also mean I need to learn how to play golf, but I think we hit more mid-irons than we think, sometimes.

>

> I may need to re-visit learning how to play golf, though.

Don’t worry, lordemsworth, I agree with you, you don’t need to re-visit learning how to play. Some courses are longer than others, and even some short courses require strategic play, both of which mean that you’ll hit a lot more than 4 mid irons per round.

Of course there are some courses where you’ll hit less, but I think it’s a little wrong to say that if you hit more than 4 in a round something is wrong - the course will dictate the number. That said, remember this is WRX so everyone hits a driver 320 and a wedge 240, so even par 5s are a drive and a flick!!!!! Lol.

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

> @BCULAW said:

> Best irons I've ever played, and I've played nearly everything. I am a bona fide iron junkie, and I am trying to get rid of these to try the "next best thing," but they're too good to let go.

>

> To out it in perspective, I've played nearly every players iron offering from ping, Titleist, Callaway, and Mizuno, and a bunch of other sets from other OEMs during the past 15+ years - likely 50-100 sets during that time (it's an Illness). These offer the best combination of feel, precision, distance, and consistency I've ever played. Add an unexpected level of forgiveness from the sole profile, and these are really, really hard to beat.

>

> Of all the sets I've tried, this night be the first set that I believe truly help me score better. The combination of the perfect turf interaction, added distance, and directional consistency (ie, straight as an arrow) is dropping my scores. Factor in that they are some of the softest feeling/sounding clubs around, and I can't recommend them enough.

No wonder I felt so lost when I was looking for info on new irons...you went and fell in love. Lol.

• Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

• 2 months later...

I’m still in love with my z765s. No reason to upgrade this season, although both the z785 and the Zforged look gorgeous!

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Switched to these from a set of cobra cb/mb and the difference has been astounding. Shot 3 of my lowest rounds including a new all time low of 75 in my first 5 rounds with them. They offer great forgiveness for their size and go through the turf like butter. I've hit 10-12 greens per round since picking them up and the cap is dropping.

...you will not be disappointed.

> @kgeorge78 said:

> op here

>

> I can't stop looking at these again. I think after 12 months of drooling over them im pulling the trigger monday.

> I had an amazing season with the RTX 4.0 wedges so Id match them up with a fresh set and a U85 utility

>

>

8lmbr7ciwlbc.jpg

Yep, after seeing thoughts and reviews I hit the 585 but wanted 7-pw in the smaller offering.....this combo has been legit! I needed help with elevation from the turf in particular and got it full force with z585 4-6i....the z785 has been THE perfect precision iron but with added distance somehow....I weakened lofts throughout the set to assure better launch but added 5yds over my pxg combo.....these aren't going anywhere! Like @BCULAW said perfectly in his write-up.....does everything you want leaving you wanting nothing....the feel is BRILLIANT.....unsure if this is endo but to those mizuno/miura snobs, there is no way anything feels better!

> @kgeorge78 said:

> im going tour issue DGS400 from U85 iron right to lob wedge

> Just trying to pick a grip now.

>

> Probably old school Multi compound

>

> I feel like I did in 2012 with 3 sets of irons coming in lol

>

What have you ordered? I tested the 785 again in a fitting. So soft. Doesn't work for me but I love it and wish it did. The MCC +4 aligns are glorious it's a shame they don't offer.

• Like 1

I'm a mid teen handicapper at the moment and have had the combo set since Feb or so which I was fit into and not OTR for me. They're not hard to strike and I've hit some of my nicest shots this year with the 785s. I'm pretty consistent with them, never lacked confidence using them. As I'm getting even more consistent with them I'm getting a bit more shot shaping.

I like them, I'll keep them for a while, as my game improves I'll be comfortable having the same irons and knowing what they can do for me.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I did upgrade from 745 to 785. Honestly, I keep trying to find something to knock them out of the bag (mainly because my OCD wants a single brand) but nothing ever does. I find them workable, the sole grind just works, and with the right shaft, they may be one of the best options out there for 2-10 indexes. I get more distance and the most manageable spin with 785. I have two other sets with the same shaft, loft and lie, but never hit them as well (AP2's and MP18's). To me the size of the head is just right, they make you feel confident over the ball, but definitely not clunky. the 745's where that way for me until I hit the 785's - for some reason I never felt that way experimenting with the 765's. BTW, the 745s are still the backup set I won't sell or trade.

• Like 1

> @smith1124 said:

> I did upgrade from 745 to 785. Honestly, I keep trying to find something to knock them out of the bag (mainly because my OCD wants a single brand) but nothing ever does. I find them workable, the sole grind just works, and with the right shaft, they may be one of the best options out there for 2-10 indexes. I get more distance and the most manageable spin with 785. I have two other sets with the same shaft, loft and lie, but never hit them as well (AP2's and MP18's). To me the size of the head is just right, they make you feel confident over the ball, but definitely not clunky. the 745's where that way for me until I hit the 785's - for some reason I never felt that way experimenting with the 765's. BTW, the 745s are still the backup set I won't sell or trade.

>

Well stated....the 765 just had an odd shape for my eye....too round a toe section and longer heel to toe....

• Like 1