WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

Played the scratch game today and we won as a team, but I shot 79 (+7). This was one of those rounds that didn't feel like a 79 and if you somehow caught some random 'highlights' of my round you'd probably go 'how in the world did he shoot 79?' It was just one of those type of deals. I only hit 8 GIR's, but hit 10/14 fairways. I hit a lot of excellent drives, but kept getting in-between clubs on approach shots and I struggled today hitting half and 3/4 shots until the last couple of holes.

The round started off rough. We started on #2 (par-5. I hit a pretty good drive and I'm in-between a 4-iron and my UDI. I hit 4-iron and the mud on the ball causes it to slice violently. I then have a shot, but the lie is awful and I double an easy hole to start the day. Then I'm thinking my ball was out-of-round due to the 2nd shot on #2. I'm pretty sure it hit the brick wall over there. I nutted a UDI on #3 and it cut. Then I nutted my UDI on #6 and it hooked (first time I've hooked that club). That probably cost me 3 strokes alone.

I then started to figure out some things with my swing. That was part of the problem today, I had been working on some things but with the rian the past few days I have not been able to work on them. I had a short pre-round warmup and just wasn't quite clicking. But, I think I figured stuff out in the end. I just couldn't get some breaks and some of it was being rusty as I have not played a lot of golf. Things like club selection on pitches, struggling on shots in-between clubs and not quite hitting shots aroudn the green as well as I usually do.

Continuing to putt well, but it seems like at least once a round I miss a putt from 4-6 feet. I'll putt well the rest of the day, but some time during that round I miss one of those putts for whatever reason.

RH

• Like 1

What's the rating/slope of the tees you played? Green firmness/speed?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

RH> @Obee said:

> What's the rating/slope of the tees you played? Green firmness/speed?

72.3/139. Stimp was probably 9.5-10. For the rain we've received the past few days and coming off aeration 2 weeks ago, the course is in great shape. The greens were pretty much moderate in terms of firmness.

Bay Hill is down the road. I always say this about Orange Tree and Bay Hill...if I were to play each course 100 times, my highest scores would almost exclusively be at Orange Tree. But, so would my lowest scores. It's a very inconsistent course due to it not playing long, but being narrow with either OB or water, in play, on almost every hole. But you can get a lot of deceptive shots or shots that are a little uncomfortable.

What's nice is that it's not a torture chamber, but if you don't let it get to you mentally you can really do well when you play other courses because you don't have the stress of missing a little too much and going OB or in the water.

RH

• Like 1

> @RichieHunt said:

> RH> @Obee said:

> > What's the rating/slope of the tees you played? Green firmness/speed?

> 72.3/139. Stimp was probably 9.5-10. For the rain we've received the past few days and coming off aeration 2 weeks ago, the course is in great shape. The greens were pretty much moderate in terms of firmness.

>

> Bay Hill is down the road. I always say this about Orange Tree and Bay Hill...if I were to play each course 100 times, my highest scores would almost exclusively be at Orange Tree. But, so would my lowest scores. It's a very inconsistent course due to it not playing long, but being narrow with either OB or water, in play, on almost every hole. But you can get a lot of deceptive shots or shots that are a little uncomfortable.

>

> What's nice is that it's not a torture chamber, but if you don't let it get to you mentally you can really do well when you play other courses because you don't have the stress of missing a little too much and going OB or in the water.

>

>

>

>

> RH

>

RH, seems to me the very definition of a torture chamber is OB and water on every hole with narrow fairways. Are the fairways crowned as well? That would put the cherry on top. LOL!

> @swizbeatz said:

> Heading to Kingsley Club for the peninsula cup, a best ball mid am invitational. Favorite course I’ve ever played, extremely difficult, I have a really solid partner and have been playing well. Worst case scenario it’ll be a nice long weekend with lots of sodas. Forecast is 80* with 2 mph winds every day, it’s a links course so should be gettable. I think something in the 65-67 range every day should have a shot playing from 7000 yards.

68-64, two shots back. Had a double on the hardest hole the first day along with another bogie, two bogies the second day. We also shot 66 during the practice round and won some cash. The hole we doubled we made bogie on the second day, gotta be one of the hardest holes I’ve ever played.

Unfortunately we had a scorecard issue. The guys we played with verbally said 5 but had 4 written down as we were going hole by hole on day 1, and had the correct total. After going hole by hole we signed it and turned it in since everything had matched. We brought it up as soon as a 67 was posted instead of 68, they initially changed our score before having a meeting and deciding to DQ us. On the + side I heard nothing but positive comments about how we handled it.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> > @RichieHunt said:

> > RH> @Obee said:

> > > What's the rating/slope of the tees you played? Green firmness/speed?

> > 72.3/139. Stimp was probably 9.5-10. For the rain we've received the past few days and coming off aeration 2 weeks ago, the course is in great shape. The greens were pretty much moderate in terms of firmness.

> >

> > Bay Hill is down the road. I always say this about Orange Tree and Bay Hill...if I were to play each course 100 times, my highest scores would almost exclusively be at Orange Tree. But, so would my lowest scores. It's a very inconsistent course due to it not playing long, but being narrow with either OB or water, in play, on almost every hole. But you can get a lot of deceptive shots or shots that are a little uncomfortable.

> >

> > What's nice is that it's not a torture chamber, but if you don't let it get to you mentally you can really do well when you play other courses because you don't have the stress of missing a little too much and going OB or in the water.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > RH

> >

>

> RH, seems to me the very definition of a torture chamber is OB and water on every hole with narrow fairways. Are the fairways crowned as well? That would put the cherry on top. LOL!

It's really not a torture chamber. It certainly messes with your psyche if you let it. In fact, when I bring guests to play the course for the first time I'll give them little direction because they'll probably play it better when they don't know of how close the OB is. For instance, the first time I played there I shot 68 on freshly aerified greens. Then as time went by I started playing worse and worse because I started to see the OB and how you could just be off enough and end up making double or triple.

But pretty much everybody that has ever played there likes the course. In fact, many members of Bay Hill are also members at Orange Tree because they enjoy Orange Tree so much.

RH

Us mid am qualifier tomorrow. Played a practice round today and hit the ball fairly well but this course is all going to come down to putting on multi tiered kinda strange greens.

Usual score to get through in our area is -3 or so but talking to the guys I played with today we all think the hot putters will put the score around -5. Course only plays to 6500 yards par 72 with 5 par 5s and honestly no real trouble. All about playing to the right part of the green and making putts. No expectations of getting through but I think I can put up something around par. Should be fun either way as I know a couple good guys are in my group. Its great to get into the competitive am scene and start meeting some people as it relaxes you a little when you know the guys out there.

> @mneumann said:

> Us mid am qualifier tomorrow. Played a practice round today and hit the ball fairly well but this course is all going to come down to putting on multi tiered kinda strange greens.

>

> Usual score to get through in our area is -3 or so but talking to the guys I played with today we all think the hot putters will put the score around -5. Course only plays to 6500 yards par 72 with 5 par 5s and honestly no real trouble. All about playing to the right part of the green and making putts. No expectations of getting through but I think I can put up something around par. Should be fun either way as I know a couple good guys are in my group. Its great to get into the competitive am scene and start meeting some people as it relaxes you a little when you know the guys out there.

Good luck , ?... great attitude sounds like. Is it your first time playing in the mid am qualifier ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @mneumann said:

> Us mid am qualifier tomorrow. Played a practice round today and hit the ball fairly well but this course is all going to come down to putting on multi tiered kinda strange greens.

>

> Usual score to get through in our area is -3 or so but talking to the guys I played with today we all think the hot putters will put the score around -5. Course only plays to 6500 yards par 72 with 5 par 5s and honestly no real trouble. All about playing to the right part of the green and making putts. No expectations of getting through but I think I can put up something around par. Should be fun either way as I know a couple good guys are in my group. Its great to get into the competitive am scene and start meeting some people as it relaxes you a little when you know the guys out there.

How many playing and how many spots? -5 would be very low unless it's a quality field and only 2 or 3 qualifiers.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

> @Ty_Webb said:

> > @mneumann said:

> > Us mid am qualifier tomorrow. Played a practice round today and hit the ball fairly well but this course is all going to come down to putting on multi tiered kinda strange greens.

> >

> > Usual score to get through in our area is -3 or so but talking to the guys I played with today we all think the hot putters will put the score around -5. Course only plays to 6500 yards par 72 with 5 par 5s and honestly no real trouble. All about playing to the right part of the green and making putts. No expectations of getting through but I think I can put up something around par. Should be fun either way as I know a couple good guys are in my group. Its great to get into the competitive am scene and start meeting some people as it relaxes you a little when you know the guys out there.

>

> How many playing and how many spots? -5 would be very low unless it's a quality field and only 2 or 3 qualifiers.

I don’t know. I suspect it will take between 66 and 68 to qualify at ours. ( 3 of 4 spots I think ). That’s judging by the low scores at the county am since it’s on the same course and the county was played all the way back on most holes ( some par 3s moved around ).

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Yeah first time in the mid am. Have done the us 4 ball the last 2 years but much different on your own ball.

75 players for 3 spots. This is the first real event here since they completely renovated the course, new greens, new bunkers, etc and it's looking like they are using a lot of middle pins, trying not to trick the place up too bad the first time, so definitely seems gettable.

Partner and I finished 4th at the 1901 Invitational. I putted very, very poorly the first two days. Missed several 3 - 4 foot "clean-up putts" on the alternate shot days (days 2 and 3). Just brutal. I've been putting very, very well, but on my home greens running 9ish. These were 12.9 on day 2 and over 13 on day 3 and 4. Just could NOT get the "hit" out of my stroke. Could not match the speed and line until midway through round 3. Putted very well after that, but it took a complete recalibration and switching of putters/stances.

My buddy, Ryan Dwight, won with his partner, Cory. Ryan made 3 eagles on his own ball on day 1 of better-ball. Shot 65. Wow. Then shot another 65 on day 4 on his own ball, day 4. Dude is on fire. Course is 6850, 72.5/133.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Obee said:

> Partner and I finished 4th at the 1901 Invitational. I putted very, very poorly the first two days. Missed several 3 - 4 foot "clean-up putts" on the alternate shot days (days 2 and 3). Just brutal. I've been putting very, very well, but on my home greens running 9ish. These were 12.9 on day 2 and over 13 on day 3 and 4. Just could NOT get the "hit" out of my stroke. Could not match the speed and line until midway through round 3. Putted very well after that, but it took a complete recalibration and switching of putters/stances.

>

> My buddy, Ryan Dwight, won with his partner, Cory. Ryan made 3 eagles on his own ball on day 1 of better-ball. Shot 65. Wow. Then shot another 65 on day 4 on his own ball, day 4. Dude is on fire. Course is 6850, 72.5/133.

I struggle a bit the same way. Greens here in the summer slow down to 8 - 9 because of the heat. Running that slow means they are grainy as well even though they are ultra-dwarf super hybrid fancy bermuda. Head to a tourney and suddenly it is 11 - 12 slick non-grainy bermuda. I spend most of my practice time putting, chipping, and re-learning bunker play. Sometimes things come around, sometimes not so much. Still a good result for you guys. Congrats.

@swizbeatz said:

> > @swizbeatz said:

> > Heading to Kingsley Club for the peninsula cup, a best ball mid am invitational. Favorite course I’ve ever played, extremely difficult, I have a really solid partner and have been playing well. Worst case scenario it’ll be a nice long weekend with lots of sodas. Forecast is 80* with 2 mph winds every day, it’s a links course so should be gettable. I think something in the 65-67 range every day should have a shot playing from 7000 yards.

>

>

>

> 68-64, two shots back. Had a double on the hardest hole the first day along with another bogie, two bogies the second day. We also shot 66 during the practice round and won some cash. The hole we doubled we made bogie on the second day, gotta be one of the hardest holes I’ve ever played.

>

> Unfortunately we had a scorecard issue. The guys we played with verbally said 5 but had 4 written down as we were going hole by hole on day 1, and had the correct total. After going hole by hole we signed it and turned it in since everything had matched. We brought it up as soon as a 67 was posted instead of 68, they initially changed our score before having a meeting and deciding to DQ us. On the + side I heard nothing but positive comments about how we handled it.

Good playing, but that sucks man. Sounds like you handled it well, but learned the lesson to verify your hole by hole yourself instead of having it read to you. It's quicker and less prone to error.

Warning ahead of time: skip this if you dont want the hole by hole of a not so ready mid am, or at least stop after hole 7 lol.

Figured I'd try to type this out just as a decompress from the round and so I have something to reference for the future.

Hole 1 - 518 par 5 - nice little cut drive down the right center. 230 In hit 2 iron into the right greenside bunker. Had about 20 yards of bunker to carry and 15 feet of green to the hole. Hit a great shot that hit at the cup and checked at 5 feet. Putt was center cut. Birdie - -1

Hole 2 - 413 par 4 - driver down the right side through the dogleg left hit a tree and dropped straight down. 170 in a little uphill and flared a 7 iron into the right bunker. Fried egg on the downslope and I just took a 58 and hacked at it. Hit a bullet that hit the grass over the lip and popped pretty much straight up and rolled to 10 feet. Best break of the day. Missed the putt. Bogey - Even

Hole 3 - 186 Par 3 downhill - 7 iron to 30 feet. 2 putt par - even

Hole 4 - 446 par 4 uphill - pushed driver into the trees and it fell straight down and left. 210 in and hit a 4 so I didnt go long as the pin was front edge of a green with a sever tier behind. Came up 10 yards short. Chip off the tier to 7 feet, read the putt to break right and it didnt move. Bogey - +1

Hole 5 - 482 par 5 drive into the trees left. Theres water and a bunker short so had to lay up from 265 in the trees. Punch hook 5 iron to 120 uphill. 50 degree wedge to the left fringe 20 feet. Putt to an inch. Tap in par - +1.

Hole 6 - 148 par 3 slightly into the wind. Soft 8 to 35 feet. Putting g down a tier and putt runs out to 5 feet, slight pull and miss for another bogey - +2

Hole 7 - 365 par 4. Drive dead down the middle that was supposed to cut a bit runs through the dogleg right. Driver probably wasnt the pay here but I wasnt thinking coming off the 3 putt. 77 yards from under a tree to a front pin and punch a 50 degree that skips off the fringe, checks and settles to 3 feet. Birdie - +1

Hole 8 - 196 par 3 uphill. Toed a 5 iron that one hopped into the front bunker. Bladed the fairly simple bunker shot 25 yards over the green. Chipped to 20 feet and missed the putt - double +3

Hole 9 - 523 par 5. Driver down the middle to 227. 2 iron them the front apron. Hit what I thought was a great chip that grabbed at 30 feet and died. 2 putt par. +3

Hole 10 - 371 par 4. 2 iron to stay short of fairway bunkers. 152 in, 8 iron slightly tugged to the wrong tier of the green and have a 35 foot clown putt. Knocked it 5 feet by and lipped out the comebacker. Bogey +4

Hole 11 -177 par 3 water short right. Hit a push chunk 7 iron that was so bad it was short of the water. 45 yd sw to 8 feet and lipped it out again. Bogey +5.

Hole 12 - 445 par 4. Pull hook driver into the trees. Had 162 to the front and saw an opening above the redwoods and tried to hit a 7 iron over them. Missed my line by a foot and caught the very top and fell straight down. Had even less of a shot. Punched out to 65 yards. Lob wedge to 12 feet passed and missed the downhill slider. Double +7.

Hole 13 - 388 par 4 big dogleg left. Snap hook 2 iron left me 245 after it hit a tree. Hit 5 iron to 40 yards and tried to hit a flop to a front pin and left it 2 yards short and it rolled back into a bunker. Lipped out the 8 footer after the bunker shot. Double +9.

Hole 14 - 352 par 4. Good drive to 77 yards in the right rough. SW to 20 feet and lipped out the birdie putt. Par +9

Hole 15 530 par 5. Drive down middle to 252. 2 iron straight uphill to 30 yards. Left the 3rd uphill to a front flag on the front fringe. 25 footer to a foot and tap in par. +9

Hole 16 344 par 4 - 2 iron to 120. Between clubs with water short hit a little wedge that hits pin high and bounces over the firm green to the back fringe. 30 feet. 2 putt easy par +9.

Hole 17 125 par 3 uphill. Wedge to 12 feet. Was too careful with the putt downhill and left it 2 feet short. Easy par +9.

Hole 18 547 par 5 - driver down the middle to 265. 2 iron left to 65 yards. Lob wedge to 15 feet. One last lipout. Par +9 81.

Except for the 6 holes in the middle where I fell asleep, I didnt play too bad but made zero putts. I think I just got a little down around the 11th hole with things going sideways and made some bad decisions which spiraled out of control quick. Was happy to regroup and par in from 14 to at least salvage not last place by a bit.

As expected, no shot to qualify. Had a reinstated pga tour pro who apparently has this as his home course shoot -8 64 and a 4 for 2 playoff at -4 68.

Great experience and looking forward to continue working at this.

• Like 1

> @Shades234 said:

>

> @swizbeatz said:

> > > @swizbeatz said:

> > > Heading to Kingsley Club for the peninsula cup, a best ball mid am invitational. Favorite course I’ve ever played, extremely difficult, I have a really solid partner and have been playing well. Worst case scenario it’ll be a nice long weekend with lots of sodas. Forecast is 80* with 2 mph winds every day, it’s a links course so should be gettable. I think something in the 65-67 range every day should have a shot playing from 7000 yards.

> >

> >

> >

> > 68-64, two shots back. Had a double on the hardest hole the first day along with another bogie, two bogies the second day. We also shot 66 during the practice round and won some cash. The hole we doubled we made bogie on the second day, gotta be one of the hardest holes I’ve ever played.

> >

> > Unfortunately we had a scorecard issue. The guys we played with verbally said 5 but had 4 written down as we were going hole by hole on day 1, and had the correct total. After going hole by hole we signed it and turned it in since everything had matched. We brought it up as soon as a 67 was posted instead of 68, they initially changed our score before having a meeting and deciding to DQ us. On the + side I heard nothing but positive comments about how we handled it.

>

> Good playing, but that sucks man. Sounds like you handled it well, but learned the lesson to verify your hole by hole yourself instead of having it read to you. It's quicker and less prone to error.

Yep. I’ll be honest, even in state qualifiers most of the people I play with sit at the scorers table and have it read to them. Definitely plan on changing that up going forward. It was a win or nothing type event besides skins so we didn’t cost ourselves anything besides an embarrassing last place DQ position on the score sheet they handed out after both days. Enough people heard what happened that I’m not worried anyone thinks we did something nefarious, which was my biggest concern playing with so many other good mid ams. We tore it up on the last day though including finishing with 6 birdies in a row which was the plan after what happened the day before. 73.2/141 with some of the hardest green complexes in the state. They made a point of saying this wouldn’t hinder us from signing up going forward.

• Like 1

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

aright -- had time to collect my thoughts on what transpired at the NJ state open this year. Trump Bedminster, New Course.

Round 1, July 22nd, starting on the 10th hole, 8:49am tee time, 92*F, calm, humid as **** and brutal heat/sun.

started with a par, then birdied the next 2 holes. par'd the 13th, then stumbled with a double, par, and back to back bogeys with lip-out putts. going out 2 over...i'll take it. so, i stand on the first tee (my 10th hole) and told my caddie we were striking the ball wayy too well to be 2 over...and we needed to step on it. sure enough, i birdied 1, 3 and 4 getting myself to 1 under par through 14 holes...then, the driver that i was holding off all day started going awry. after making a dumb bogey at 15, i blocked my tee shot right on 16 into fescue. however, there was a water hazard contained within the fescue and was deemed to have went into it. i had 184 out after my drop (in the fescue) -- and figured i could hit a 7i and get to the front of the green. instead, i caught a flier and threw it over the green. end up making a double. now, i'm still only 2 over for my round - and my mental state is now "just get to the house, we'll be good to go for tomorrow". on 17 i block my tee shot right yet again...into fescue. this time it's find-able yet a very rough lie. i take a 9i to just try to hack it out and it nose-dives back into the fescue no more than 40y forward -- and gets lost. take a drop from my second shot location, this time it shoots through the fairway to a bunker 60y out from the green. bunker shot goes short of the green, and then a pitch gets hungup on the fringe...a few putts and it's a solid 9...on a par 4. a generic fairway-green-2putt par at 18 brings me into the house at +7, 78...

I wont' lie, the first round really hurt. I was standing on 15 tee box 1 under par...and finished 7 over. the scar tissue was fresh but i just kept telling myself that i made 5 birdies and overall i really did play well. i had 3 birdie putts that dropped from over 20'.

Round 2, July 23rd, starting on the 1st hole, 1:49 tee time (bumped back to 2:49 due to rain in round 1), 85*F, rain/mist/marine layer all day and 10-20mph winds.

started with 2 pars despite having great birdie looks - so i knew i was on track. bogey'd the third hole after a tough bunker shot, then a par at 4. follow'd with bogeys at 5 and 6 with nothing but headscratchers since both holes i had looks for my putts due to my opponents playing shots on my line --- BOTH putts did something completely different. had a birdie look at 7 -- but lipped it out. at 8 i made a smooth double - nothing worth noting on this hole, and then par'd 9 and again went back to change my mental focus to start with some birdies on the back 9. i then proceeded to par the next 6 holes while never missing a green in reg -- and lipping 3 putts for birdies, and leaving 2 short. the rain was making it difficult to maintain the pace of putts from green to green. at this point in the round - i'm realizing that my chances are drawing near, no putts are falling and the cards don't appear to be good. i bogey, and double the last 3 holes of my tourney -- after getting word on the 16th tee that in order for me to have got in...i needed to shoot 72 (+2) for my second round. came in with a birdie free 81 (+10).

i could've shot considerably better - the driver just let me down and honestly - i couldn't have putted any better; sometimes they just don't drop. my scores were considerably worse than how i played and i realize that it's experience and they'll fall at some point.

onto the next!

• Like 1

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

why are my posts (in this thread only) needed to be approved prior to posting? further, after it processes - it doesn't move the thread up to show it's been updated...? @SheriffBooth

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Club championship this weekend for me. 2nd day is always from the blacks, Par 72, 7104 with a rating of 74. Former TPC course and host to a web.com event. Game has been pretty solid as of late if i can eliminate the 1 or 2 bad swings off of the tee that lead to doubles. Played Friday and shot 67 so hoping i didnt do what my fiance hates... ha. Club has some really good players and one former mini tour guy and a bunch of high school studs so it will be a test but hoping I play well. Will update this weekend.

Stay Tuned...

> @gioguy21 said:

> aright -- had time to collect my thoughts on what transpired at the NJ state open this year. Trump Bedminster, New Course.

>

> Round 1, July 22nd, starting on the 10th hole, 8:49am tee time, 92*F, calm, humid as **** and brutal heat/sun.

>

> started with a par, then birdied the next 2 holes. par'd the 13th, then stumbled with a double, par, and back to back bogeys with lip-out putts. going out 2 over...i'll take it. so, i stand on the first tee (my 10th hole) and told my caddie we were striking the ball wayy too well to be 2 over...and we needed to step on it. sure enough, i birdied 1, 3 and 4 getting myself to 1 under par through 14 holes...then, the driver that i was holding off all day started going awry. after making a dumb bogey at 15, i blocked my tee shot right on 16 into fescue. however, there was a water hazard contained within the fescue and was deemed to have went into it. i had 184 out after my drop (in the fescue) -- and figured i could hit a 7i and get to the front of the green. instead, i caught a flier and threw it over the green. end up making a double. now, i'm still only 2 over for my round - and my mental state is now "just get to the house, we'll be good to go for tomorrow". on 17 i block my tee shot right yet again...into fescue. this time it's find-able yet a very rough lie. i take a 9i to just try to hack it out and it nose-dives back into the fescue no more than 40y forward -- and gets lost. take a drop from my second shot location, this time it shoots through the fairway to a bunker 60y out from the green. bunker shot goes short of the green, and then a pitch gets hungup on the fringe...a few putts and it's a solid 9...on a par 4. a generic fairway-green-2putt par at 18 brings me into the house at +7, 78...

>

> I wont' lie, the first round really hurt. I was standing on 15 tee box 1 under par...and finished 7 over. the scar tissue was fresh but i just kept telling myself that i made 5 birdies and overall i really did play well. i had 3 birdie putts that dropped from over 20'.

>

> Round 2, July 23rd, starting on the 1st hole, 1:49 tee time (bumped back to 2:49 due to rain in round 1), 85*F, rain/mist/marine layer all day and 10-20mph winds.

>

> started with 2 pars despite having great birdie looks - so i knew i was on track. bogey'd the third hole after a tough bunker shot, then a par at 4. follow'd with bogeys at 5 and 6 with nothing but headscratchers since both holes i had looks for my putts due to my opponents playing shots on my line --- BOTH putts did something completely different. had a birdie look at 7 -- but lipped it out. at 8 i made a smooth double - nothing worth noting on this hole, and then par'd 9 and again went back to change my mental focus to start with some birdies on the back 9. i then proceeded to par the next 6 holes while never missing a green in reg -- and lipping 3 putts for birdies, and leaving 2 short. the rain was making it difficult to maintain the pace of putts from green to green. at this point in the round - i'm realizing that my chances are drawing near, no putts are falling and the cards don't appear to be good. i bogey, and double the last 3 holes of my tourney -- after getting word on the 16th tee that in order for me to have got in...i needed to shoot 72 (+2) for my second round. came in with a birdie free 81 (+10).

>

> i could've shot considerably better - the driver just let me down and honestly - i couldn't have putted any better; sometimes they just don't drop. my scores were considerably worse than how i played and i realize that it's experience and they'll fall at some point.

>

> onto the next!

Some tough breaks, but sounds like you identified an issue snd hung in there pretty well. Nice write up too.

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > aright -- had time to collect my thoughts on what transpired at the NJ state open this year. Trump Bedminster, New Course.

> >

> > Round 1, July 22nd, starting on the 10th hole, 8:49am tee time, 92*F, calm, humid as **** and brutal heat/sun.

> >

> > started with a par, then birdied the next 2 holes. par'd the 13th, then stumbled with a double, par, and back to back bogeys with lip-out putts. going out 2 over...i'll take it. so, i stand on the first tee (my 10th hole) and told my caddie we were striking the ball wayy too well to be 2 over...and we needed to step on it. sure enough, i birdied 1, 3 and 4 getting myself to 1 under par through 14 holes...then, the driver that i was holding off all day started going awry. after making a dumb bogey at 15, i blocked my tee shot right on 16 into fescue. however, there was a water hazard contained within the fescue and was deemed to have went into it. i had 184 out after my drop (in the fescue) -- and figured i could hit a 7i and get to the front of the green. instead, i caught a flier and threw it over the green. end up making a double. now, i'm still only 2 over for my round - and my mental state is now "just get to the house, we'll be good to go for tomorrow". on 17 i block my tee shot right yet again...into fescue. this time it's find-able yet a very rough lie. i take a 9i to just try to hack it out and it nose-dives back into the fescue no more than 40y forward -- and gets lost. take a drop from my second shot location, this time it shoots through the fairway to a bunker 60y out from the green. bunker shot goes short of the green, and then a pitch gets hungup on the fringe...a few putts and it's a solid 9...on a par 4. a generic fairway-green-2putt par at 18 brings me into the house at +7, 78...

> >

> > I wont' lie, the first round really hurt. I was standing on 15 tee box 1 under par...and finished 7 over. the scar tissue was fresh but i just kept telling myself that i made 5 birdies and overall i really did play well. i had 3 birdie putts that dropped from over 20'.

> >

> > Round 2, July 23rd, starting on the 1st hole, 1:49 tee time (bumped back to 2:49 due to rain in round 1), 85*F, rain/mist/marine layer all day and 10-20mph winds.

> >

> > started with 2 pars despite having great birdie looks - so i knew i was on track. bogey'd the third hole after a tough bunker shot, then a par at 4. follow'd with bogeys at 5 and 6 with nothing but headscratchers since both holes i had looks for my putts due to my opponents playing shots on my line --- BOTH putts did something completely different. had a birdie look at 7 -- but lipped it out. at 8 i made a smooth double - nothing worth noting on this hole, and then par'd 9 and again went back to change my mental focus to start with some birdies on the back 9. i then proceeded to par the next 6 holes while never missing a green in reg -- and lipping 3 putts for birdies, and leaving 2 short. the rain was making it difficult to maintain the pace of putts from green to green. at this point in the round - i'm realizing that my chances are drawing near, no putts are falling and the cards don't appear to be good. i bogey, and double the last 3 holes of my tourney -- after getting word on the 16th tee that in order for me to have got in...i needed to shoot 72 (+2) for my second round. came in with a birdie free 81 (+10).

> >

> > i could've shot considerably better - the driver just let me down and honestly - i couldn't have putted any better; sometimes they just don't drop. my scores were considerably worse than how i played and i realize that it's experience and they'll fall at some point.

> >

> > onto the next!

>

> Some tough breaks, but sounds like you identified an issue snd hung in there pretty well. Nice write up too.

Thanks -- yea, did all i could. end of the day, no regrets about how i played.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> why are my posts (in this thread only) needed to be approved prior to posting? further, after it processes - it doesn't move the thread up to show it's been updated...? @SheriffBooth

It's not this thread only. It's that you used the word "trump". That auto-flags the post for moderator approval. If it makes you feel any better, I had to approve my own post for this.

Taylormade Qi10 9*, GD AD-VF 6X
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade P790 4i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > aright -- had time to collect my thoughts on what transpired at the NJ state open this year. Trump Bedminster, New Course.

> > >

> > > Round 1, July 22nd, starting on the 10th hole, 8:49am tee time, 92*F, calm, humid as **** and brutal heat/sun.

> > >

> > > started with a par, then birdied the next 2 holes. par'd the 13th, then stumbled with a double, par, and back to back bogeys with lip-out putts. going out 2 over...i'll take it. so, i stand on the first tee (my 10th hole) and told my caddie we were striking the ball wayy too well to be 2 over...and we needed to step on it. sure enough, i birdied 1, 3 and 4 getting myself to 1 under par through 14 holes...then, the driver that i was holding off all day started going awry. after making a dumb bogey at 15, i blocked my tee shot right on 16 into fescue. however, there was a water hazard contained within the fescue and was deemed to have went into it. i had 184 out after my drop (in the fescue) -- and figured i could hit a 7i and get to the front of the green. instead, i caught a flier and threw it over the green. end up making a double. now, i'm still only 2 over for my round - and my mental state is now "just get to the house, we'll be good to go for tomorrow". on 17 i block my tee shot right yet again...into fescue. this time it's find-able yet a very rough lie. i take a 9i to just try to hack it out and it nose-dives back into the fescue no more than 40y forward -- and gets lost. take a drop from my second shot location, this time it shoots through the fairway to a bunker 60y out from the green. bunker shot goes short of the green, and then a pitch gets hungup on the fringe...a few putts and it's a solid 9...on a par 4. a generic fairway-green-2putt par at 18 brings me into the house at +7, 78...

> > >

> > > I wont' lie, the first round really hurt. I was standing on 15 tee box 1 under par...and finished 7 over. the scar tissue was fresh but i just kept telling myself that i made 5 birdies and overall i really did play well. i had 3 birdie putts that dropped from over 20'.

> > >

> > > Round 2, July 23rd, starting on the 1st hole, 1:49 tee time (bumped back to 2:49 due to rain in round 1), 85*F, rain/mist/marine layer all day and 10-20mph winds.

> > >

> > > started with 2 pars despite having great birdie looks - so i knew i was on track. bogey'd the third hole after a tough bunker shot, then a par at 4. follow'd with bogeys at 5 and 6 with nothing but headscratchers since both holes i had looks for my putts due to my opponents playing shots on my line --- BOTH putts did something completely different. had a birdie look at 7 -- but lipped it out. at 8 i made a smooth double - nothing worth noting on this hole, and then par'd 9 and again went back to change my mental focus to start with some birdies on the back 9. i then proceeded to par the next 6 holes while never missing a green in reg -- and lipping 3 putts for birdies, and leaving 2 short. the rain was making it difficult to maintain the pace of putts from green to green. at this point in the round - i'm realizing that my chances are drawing near, no putts are falling and the cards don't appear to be good. i bogey, and double the last 3 holes of my tourney -- after getting word on the 16th tee that in order for me to have got in...i needed to shoot 72 (+2) for my second round. came in with a birdie free 81 (+10).

> > >

> > > i could've shot considerably better - the driver just let me down and honestly - i couldn't have putted any better; sometimes they just don't drop. my scores were considerably worse than how i played and i realize that it's experience and they'll fall at some point.

> > >

> > > onto the next!

> >

> > Some tough breaks, but sounds like you identified an issue snd hung in there pretty well. Nice write up too.

>

> Thanks -- yea, did all i could. end of the day, no regrets about how i played.

So many positives in that round! you are getting close!

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

> @SheriffBooth said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > why are my posts (in this thread only) needed to be approved prior to posting? further, after it processes - it doesn't move the thread up to show it's been updated...? @SheriffBooth

>

> It's not this thread only. It's that you used the word "trump". That auto-flags the post for moderator approval. If it makes you feel any better, I had to approve my own post for this.

Why is that auto-flagged?

> @Shades234 said:

> > @SheriffBooth said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > why are my posts (in this thread only) needed to be approved prior to posting? further, after it processes - it doesn't move the thread up to show it's been updated...? @SheriffBooth

> >

> > It's not this thread only. It's that you used the word "trump". That auto-flags the post for moderator approval. If it makes you feel any better, I had to approve my own post for this.

>

> Why is that auto-flagged?

Because political discussion is not allowed here and it heads problems off at the pass. Non-political posts are generally approved in short order.

Taylormade Qi10 9*, GD AD-VF 6X
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade P790 4i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

Played in the cash game today and shot 73 (+1). This was with me jarring an eagle from 108 yards which won me a big skin (in our skins game, eagles are worth 2 skins).

My score was the 3 lowest score as 2 other guys shot 70 (one of them is a Touring pro).

I'll take the score given I hadn't touched a club all week given the rain we've had lately. And my lower back and hip was hurting and not making it all that comfortable (I went to the chiropractor afterward and got straightened out).

I hit 10 out of 14 fairways. I lost focus on 15 and hit a poor drive there and that cost me at least 1 stroke (it's a birdieable par-4). Then I got lazy on #18 and that cost me a bogey. But, I feel good about where my swing is going, mainly because I can pin point what's going on with my missed shots.

Overall I hit the driver pretty good. Hit the irons okay. Struggled with the putter. Couldn't get the feel for the speed of the greens and had difficult reading some putts. I'm supposed to be getting a stability putter shaft on Monday. In the meantime I'm working on my new irons.

RH

• Like 1