side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

Holy Sheet! I just tried w/ the right hand on the front of the shaft w/ index down the shaft so that both backswing and downswing are a pulling action, so the shaft is behind my hand and partial forearm. I tried setting up 2x4 track and after just a few swings indicated I was swinging on my intended line I removed them and tried doing best of 10 tries at 8' putt length...and ran in 7 of 10 on the first try. Must have been a fluke! Then repeated the same thing and again 7 of 10 in the hole! This was a level putt with no break and between trying to keep the left hand grip pressure constant so as not to rotate the face and doing a pulling back and down swings I hit almost all 7 of each made putt dead in the middle of the hole! Freaky! Looks very promising but what's really compelling for me is that I'm confident it will be a yips-killer because it's always been a pushing action w/ the right side that brings on the horror and this is totally different. Distance control probably won't come until I have lots of time at it for long putts, so right now I'm doing those side-on and doing better for lagging but that's on the practice green only and in the past right-sided power will bring on yipping so if that's the case I'll need to commit to FO for lagging too. I did not take the time to do one long putt w/ the pulling style swing so who knows maybe it will be OK.

> @ncp10 said:

> Wow thanks a lot that really helps and begs the question: what are some more practice tips to focus on to keep the putter face from turning? I had assumed it was all swing path so I will start looking at face now. Best practices for keeping the face stable? I'll do the putting track tool when I can make something w/ 2x4's or something and just leave a few millimeters clearance. The funny thing is I kind of knew this from prior fooling around with hitting short putts with a 30 degree out to in swing path from short range only to see the putt travel straight to the hole, but forgot! This helps after 10 hours of dedicated practice w/ my eBay special I was about to hang it up as progress wasn't happening AT ALL despite diligence in setting up and being consistent.

Two drills I've done in the past:

1) Putt through two tees set up just barely wider than your ball. No way you can putt a ball consistently past those tees without a > @"Joe Duffer" said:

> Here's a photo of my old friend, Don Iverson. He was probably the first American golfer to come up with this style of putting back in the '60s. He originally invented the Croquet Style Putter and that style while a student in the late '50s at the University of Portland. He showed it to Bob Duden, a tour pro from Portland, who loved it and used in on the PGA Tour. Duden showed it to Snead, who immediately embraced it as a cure for his yips, it worked and he won with it. Not long after, the USGA made Croquet Style Putting illegal.

>

> Don then went to side-saddle with a long putter. It had a 10° lie angle and he putted that way until he died in 2010. He was far and away the best putter I have ever seen -**from any distance**. He almost never missed from inside ten feet, unless faced with a severely downhill breaking putt that he simply misread.

>

> Don was the Washington State Putting Champion back in 1996 when Dave Pelz ran his first World Putting Championship. At the world finals in Florida, he made it to the semi-finals and beat several tour pros to get there.

>

> He was also my Biology teacher and my golf coach during high school (1962-4). Don was a great guy as well.

>

> ak0mch3s5p9b.png

>

>

Very cool. And how blessed you are to have known him!

• Like 2

> @ncp10 said:

> Looking at the hole seems like a really good idea once you have your stroke like you want it and can deliver the putter head to the ball very consistently without looking. Seems like it could really help with distance control. I tried it on several very long putts and made poor ball contact, topping one, etc. I have not been anchoring my left elbow to my chest so that might be something to work on. Today was a lot better it seemed by focusing mostly on keeping the putter face stable.

I struggle with this on long ones too. Outside 30ft. Basically I do not have enough range of motion to let putter do the work so I propel it. It works when I hit it but I do get poor face contact occasionally and that is not acceptable because it ruins confidence and start vicious cycle. I tried looking at the ball and it does give perfect ball contact but hurts distance control and starting line because I become technique conscious. I find traditional putting for long distance gives me enough range of motion to let putter do the work and is the best way for me.

Does anyone know where I could buy components to make a side saddle putter.. shaft, grips etc ?

I have a Nike Center Shafted Method putter I was thinking of making into a side saddle putter not sure if it has enough head weight ..perhaps someone could tell me if this is doable or would I need to go with a heavier weighted head ..

Thanks

> @Hit-em said:

> Does anyone know where I could buy components to make a side saddle putter.. shaft, grips etc ?

> I have a Nike Center Shafted Method putter I was thinking of making into a side saddle putter not sure if it has enough head weight ..perhaps someone could tell me if this is doable or would I need to go with a heavier weighted head ..

> Thanks

I think the head weight is a personal preference. I prefer heavy. But there are a number of SS putters with lighter heads (the GP putter for instance...)

> @ncp10 said:

> Please remind me of the USGA on this: for SS putting can I have my elbow AND upper forearm against my left chest? With the 47" putter I bought that is the natural place it is, but I don't know if it's illegal or not. Thanks

Elbow is fine. Forearm is not allowed. At the same time there are a few pros that look like they are anchoring. It’s a dumb rule that needs to go away.

Unless you are wearing a skin tight shirt it is something that is difficult to determine

> @Hit-em said:

> > @ncp10 said:

> > I've used DiamondTour.com for components.

> I went there but couldn't find any components to make a side saddle putter with ???

>

>

>

I checked all the websites I go to for components, they just don't make 400g heads with 79*/80* lie anymore...few yrs back I made several long putters, heads were plentiful...

> @brentflog said:

> > @ncp10 said:

> > Please remind me of the USGA on this: for SS putting can I have my elbow AND upper forearm against my left chest? With the 47" putter I bought that is the natural place it is, but I don't know if it's illegal or not. Thanks

>

> Elbow is fine. Forearm is not allowed. At the same time there are a few pros that look like they are anchoring. It’s a dumb rule that needs to go away.

> Unless you are wearing a skin tight shirt it is something that is difficult to determine

OK so it's slightly vague because well, the elbow is connected to the forearm! I don't intentionally try to have my forearm touching my chest it just does because of my height and how i'm holding the putter. I guess I'll work on making sure it's only the elbow as best I can since I'm still establishing habits now and keep in mind chances are no one will call me on it anyway. Thanks!

> @ncp10 said:

> > @brentflog said:

> > https://www.instagram.com/p/ByqjwzelWxN/?igshid=qo1nc6240684

> >

> > These look pretty sweet for those that hold the putter upright at 90*.

> I am unable to log in to Instagram. Can you ask what loft their putters are? They really do look ideal for SS/FO.

>

>

0 degrees. ideal.

> @ncp10 said:

> It really does look perfect. They aren't selling them yet I wonder?

I gave them a follow on Instagram. Hopefully they release some information and these things aren't high priced. I'd add one as long as they're less than the Bobby Grace putters. At a point though they'd have little to no resale value probably, so I'd rather just spend the extra for another BG.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

> @BigEx44 said:

> > @ncp10 said:

> > Wow thanks a lot that really helps and begs the question: what are some more practice tips to focus on to keep the putter face from turning? I had assumed it was all swing path so I will start looking at face now. Best practices for keeping the face stable? I'll do the putting track tool when I can make something w/ 2x4's or something and just leave a few millimeters clearance. The funny thing is I kind of knew this from prior fooling around with hitting short putts with a 30 degree out to in swing path from short range only to see the putt travel straight to the hole, but forgot! This helps after 10 hours of dedicated practice w/ my eBay special I was about to hang it up as progress wasn't happening AT ALL despite diligence in setting up and being consistent.

> Two drills I've done in the past:

> 1) Putt through two tees set up just barely wider than your ball. No way you can putt a ball consistently past those tees without a > @"Joe Duffer" said:

> > Here's a photo of my old friend, Don Iverson. He was probably the first American golfer to come up with this style of putting back in the '60s. He originally invented the Croquet Style Putter and that style while a student in the late '50s at the University of Portland. He showed it to Bob Duden, a tour pro from Portland, who loved it and used in on the PGA Tour. Duden showed it to Snead, who immediately embraced it as a cure for his yips, it worked and he won with it. Not long after, the USGA made Croquet Style Putting illegal.

> >

> > Don then went to side-saddle with a long putter. It had a 10° lie angle and he putted that way until he died in 2010. He was far and away the best putter I have ever seen -**from any distance**. He almost never missed from inside ten feet, unless faced with a severely downhill breaking putt that he simply misread.

> >

> > Don was the Washington State Putting Champion back in 1996 when Dave Pelz ran his first World Putting Championship. At the world finals in Florida, he made it to the semi-finals and beat several tour pros to get there.

> >

> > He was also my Biology teacher and my golf coach during high school (1962-4). Don was a great guy as well.

> >

> > ak0mch3s5p9b.png

> >

> >

> Very cool. And how blessed you are to have known him!

>

Thank you for posting this picture. I have never tried to grip my bottom hand like that, but it could seriously be a SS game changer. It takes the putter back so straight.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

> @J-Tizzle said:

> > @ncp10 said:

> > It really does look perfect. They aren't selling them yet I wonder?

>

> I gave them a follow on Instagram. Hopefully they release some information and these things aren't high priced. I'd add one as long as they're less than the Bobby Grace putters. At a point though they'd have little to no resale value probably, so I'd rather just spend the extra for another BG.

> @J-Tizzle said:

> > @ncp10 said:

> > It really does look perfect. They aren't selling them yet I wonder?

>

> I gave them a follow on Instagram. Hopefully they release some information and these things aren't high priced. I'd add one as long as they're less than the Bobby Grace putters. At a point though they'd have little to no resale value probably, so I'd rather just spend the extra for another BG.

i think they are about $250. They have them for sale now. I have talked to Brittany over there and have her email. DM me if you want it.

> @J-Tizzle said:

> Thank you for posting this picture. I have never tried to grip my bottom hand like that, but it could seriously be a SS game changer. It takes the putter back so straight.

Have you ever tried what the 'old-timer' in his encounter w/ Dave Pelz?

"An elderly gentleman walks into the Dave Pelz Short Game School in Boca Raton, Fla. It is a slow day, circa 1999.... The old-timer takes his putter and stands facing the cup. Then he produces a sidesaddle-style stroke. Interesting, Pelz thinks. The man’s extended right arm grasps a longish putter on the front of the shaft so the back of his hand faces the hole, with one finger down the shaft like a pointer. His left hand presses the shaft against the right elbow. (Don't know how that is done or what is even happening with this last comment).... And then, like a machine, the old man pours in putt after putt after putt...Pelz recalls. “The putter shaft was behind his right arm, so he was pulling the shaft, not pushing it. That was pretty unusual. He told me he never started a putt off-line.""

I tried this the other day and made 14 of 20 putts from 8 feet which I've never come close to. The next time out with the same approach 55%, which is still good I think (back of right hand facing the intended line, so wrist and forearm are also more on the front of the shaft for a pulling action on the backswing AND the downswing by the muscles in the back of the arm). I'm not sure it's really different from the pencil grip because fundamentally you're stilling pulling w/ the back of the arm with that grip too.

> @ncp10 said:

> > @J-Tizzle said:

> > Thank you for posting this picture. I have never tried to grip my bottom hand like that, but it could seriously be a SS game changer. It takes the putter back so straight.

> Have you ever tried what the 'old-timer' in his encounter w/ Dave Pelz?

> "An elderly gentleman walks into the Dave Pelz Short Game School in Boca Raton, Fla. It is a slow day, circa 1999.... The old-timer takes his putter and stands facing the cup. Then he produces a sidesaddle-style stroke. Interesting, Pelz thinks. The man’s extended right arm grasps a longish putter on the front of the shaft so the back of his hand faces the hole, with one finger down the shaft like a pointer. His left hand presses the shaft against the right elbow. (Don't know how that is done or what is even happening with this last comment).... And then, like a machine, the old man pours in putt after putt after putt...Pelz recalls. “The putter shaft was behind his right arm, so he was pulling the shaft, not pushing it. That was pretty unusual. He told me he never started a putt off-line.""

>

> I tried this the other day and made 14 of 20 putts from 8 feet which I've never come close to. The next time out with the same approach 55%, which is still good I think (back of right hand facing the intended line, so wrist and forearm are also more on the front of the shaft for a pulling action on the backswing AND the downswing by the muscles in the back of the arm). I'm not sure it's really different from the pencil grip because fundamentally you're stilling pulling w/ the back of the arm with that grip too.

>

I've tried it a couple of times and just could never get comfortable with that grip or the pulling motion.

SS works so well for me because I feel like I'm trying to roll the ball into the hole with my right hand arm.

A pistoning motion with a pencil grip gives me that feel.

> @BigEx44 said:

> > @ncp10 said:

> > > @J-Tizzle said:

> > > Thank you for posting this picture. I have never tried to grip my bottom hand like that, but it could seriously be a SS game changer. It takes the putter back so straight.

> > Have you ever tried what the 'old-timer' in his encounter w/ Dave Pelz?

> > "An elderly gentleman walks into the Dave Pelz Short Game School in Boca Raton, Fla. It is a slow day, circa 1999.... The old-timer takes his putter and stands facing the cup. Then he produces a sidesaddle-style stroke. Interesting, Pelz thinks. The man’s extended right arm grasps a longish putter on the front of the shaft so the back of his hand faces the hole, with one finger down the shaft like a pointer. His left hand presses the shaft against the right elbow. (Don't know how that is done or what is even happening with this last comment).... And then, like a machine, the old man pours in putt after putt after putt...Pelz recalls. “The putter shaft was behind his right arm, so he was pulling the shaft, not pushing it. That was pretty unusual. He told me he never started a putt off-line.""

> >

> > I tried this the other day and made 14 of 20 putts from 8 feet which I've never come close to. The next time out with the same approach 55%, which is still good I think (back of right hand facing the intended line, so wrist and forearm are also more on the front of the shaft for a pulling action on the backswing AND the downswing by the muscles in the back of the arm). I'm not sure it's really different from the pencil grip because fundamentally you're stilling pulling w/ the back of the arm with that grip too.

> >

>

> I've tried it a couple of times and just could never get comfortable with that grip or the pulling motion.

> SS works so well for me because I feel like I'm trying to roll the ball into the hole with my right hand arm.

> A pistoning motion with a pencil grip gives me that feel.

>

>

I have tried this approach as well after reading the story. It makes sense, but my feel with it was 0. I do think I'm going to try the pictured grip above, as I think it will get my right hand in a more neutral set up with a straighter wrist, making the straight back straight through easier.

Thats the beauty of SS putting. It looks so odd to most people, they won't even notice if you have a weird grip, lol.

> @BigEx44 said:

> > @ncp10 said:

> > > @J-Tizzle said:

> > > Thank you for posting this picture. I have never tried to grip my bottom hand like that, but it could seriously be a SS game changer. It takes the putter back so straight.

> > Have you ever tried what the 'old-timer' in his encounter w/ Dave Pelz?

> > "An elderly gentleman walks into the Dave Pelz Short Game School in Boca Raton, Fla. It is a slow day, circa 1999.... The old-timer takes his putter and stands facing the cup. Then he produces a sidesaddle-style stroke. Interesting, Pelz thinks. The man’s extended right arm grasps a longish putter on the front of the shaft so the back of his hand faces the hole, with one finger down the shaft like a pointer. His left hand presses the shaft against the right elbow. (Don't know how that is done or what is even happening with this last comment).... And then, like a machine, the old man pours in putt after putt after putt...Pelz recalls. “The putter shaft was behind his right arm, so he was pulling the shaft, not pushing it. That was pretty unusual. He told me he never started a putt off-line.""

> >

> > I tried this the other day and made 14 of 20 putts from 8 feet which I've never come close to. The next time out with the same approach 55%, which is still good I think (back of right hand facing the intended line, so wrist and forearm are also more on the front of the shaft for a pulling action on the backswing AND the downswing by the muscles in the back of the arm). I'm not sure it's really different from the pencil grip because fundamentally you're stilling pulling w/ the back of the arm with that grip too.

> >

>

> I've tried it a couple of times and just could never get comfortable with that grip or the pulling motion.

> SS works so well for me because I feel like I'm trying to roll the ball into the hole with my right hand arm.

> A pistoning motion with a pencil grip gives me that feel.

>

>

I’ll try this. I’ve tried that right grip before but not with locking shaft against right elbow. Theoretically I agree with you - the closer to the throw the more intuitive it tends to feel. But in practice some things work better than they should so I will give it a shot. My problem is having to switch to traditional stroke on long ones so I don’t flip the putter when I need more speed than I can give with my delicate FO stroke naturally. I’m patchy for distance control on long ones when I look at the ball with any stroke. If I can get smth that works for both long and short putts and I can still look at the hole i’m in.

> @deman77 said:

> > @BigEx44 said:

> > > @ncp10 said:

> > > > @J-Tizzle said:

> > > > Thank you for posting this picture. I have never tried to grip my bottom hand like that, but it could seriously be a SS game changer. It takes the putter back so straight.

> > > Have you ever tried what the 'old-timer' in his encounter w/ Dave Pelz?

> > > "An elderly gentleman walks into the Dave Pelz Short Game School in Boca Raton, Fla. It is a slow day, circa 1999.... The old-timer takes his putter and stands facing the cup. Then he produces a sidesaddle-style stroke. Interesting, Pelz thinks. The man’s extended right arm grasps a longish putter on the front of the shaft so the back of his hand faces the hole, with one finger down the shaft like a pointer. His left hand presses the shaft against the right elbow. (Don't know how that is done or what is even happening with this last comment).... And then, like a machine, the old man pours in putt after putt after putt...Pelz recalls. “The putter shaft was behind his right arm, so he was pulling the shaft, not pushing it. That was pretty unusual. He told me he never started a putt off-line.""

> > >

> > > I tried this the other day and made 14 of 20 putts from 8 feet which I've never come close to. The next time out with the same approach 55%, which is still good I think (back of right hand facing the intended line, so wrist and forearm are also more on the front of the shaft for a pulling action on the backswing AND the downswing by the muscles in the back of the arm). I'm not sure it's really different from the pencil grip because fundamentally you're stilling pulling w/ the back of the arm with that grip too.

> > >

> >

> > I've tried it a couple of times and just could never get comfortable with that grip or the pulling motion.

> > SS works so well for me because I feel like I'm trying to roll the ball into the hole with my right hand arm.

> > A pistoning motion with a pencil grip gives me that feel.

> >

> >

> I’ll try this. I’ve tried that right grip before but not with locking shaft against right elbow. Theoretically I agree with you - the closer to the throw the more intuitive it tends to feel. But in practice some things work better than they should so I will give it a shot. My problem is having to switch to traditional stroke on long ones so I don’t flip the putter when I need more speed than I can give with my delicate FO stroke naturally. I’m patchy for distance control on long ones when I look at the ball with any stroke. If I can get smth that works for both long and short putts and I can still look at the hole i’m in.

>

For the long ones, when you feel that you really have to hit it hard, pay a little bit of attention to the flex in your front (probably right) knee. The problem with hitting it hard with a longer swing with face on, at least for me, is coming up too quickly and topping the ball or at least not making the normal solid sweet spot contact. A little bit of extra flex, plus maintaining the flex, in that knee seems to fix that problem for me.

• Like 1

Well, I have about 17h of dedicated practice now w/ putts under 15' done SS/FO, and over SO. Today of 20 8' slightly breaking putts I made 9. After warming up with 20 8 foot putts I do 18 holes using ~10', 20', and 30-45' distances, randomly positioned for each hole for each of 3 balls, done 6 times for 18 holes. I was -3 after 18 holes today which is a marked improvement on this particular practice green compared to left handed putting which is what I have been doing mostly prior to trying out SS/FO. Encouraging for sure--just have not yet taken this to the course as I injured my upper anterior rib cage so can't wait to try it out!

> @bluedot said:

> > @deman77 said:

> > > @BigEx44 said:

> > > > @ncp10 said:

> > > > > @J-Tizzle said:

> > > > > Thank you for posting this picture. I have never tried to grip my bottom hand like that, but it could seriously be a SS game changer. It takes the putter back so straight.

> > > > Have you ever tried what the 'old-timer' in his encounter w/ Dave Pelz?

> > > > "An elderly gentleman walks into the Dave Pelz Short Game School in Boca Raton, Fla. It is a slow day, circa 1999.... The old-timer takes his putter and stands facing the cup. Then he produces a sidesaddle-style stroke. Interesting, Pelz thinks. The man’s extended right arm grasps a longish putter on the front of the shaft so the back of his hand faces the hole, with one finger down the shaft like a pointer. His left hand presses the shaft against the right elbow. (Don't know how that is done or what is even happening with this last comment).... And then, like a machine, the old man pours in putt after putt after putt...Pelz recalls. “The putter shaft was behind his right arm, so he was pulling the shaft, not pushing it. That was pretty unusual. He told me he never started a putt off-line.""

> > > >

> > > > I tried this the other day and made 14 of 20 putts from 8 feet which I've never come close to. The next time out with the same approach 55%, which is still good I think (back of right hand facing the intended line, so wrist and forearm are also more on the front of the shaft for a pulling action on the backswing AND the downswing by the muscles in the back of the arm). I'm not sure it's really different from the pencil grip because fundamentally you're stilling pulling w/ the back of the arm with that grip too.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I've tried it a couple of times and just could never get comfortable with that grip or the pulling motion.

> > > SS works so well for me because I feel like I'm trying to roll the ball into the hole with my right hand arm.

> > > A pistoning motion with a pencil grip gives me that feel.

> > >

> > >

> > I’ll try this. I’ve tried that right grip before but not with locking shaft against right elbow. Theoretically I agree with you - the closer to the throw the more intuitive it tends to feel. But in practice some things work better than they should so I will give it a shot. My problem is having to switch to traditional stroke on long ones so I don’t flip the putter when I need more speed than I can give with my delicate FO stroke naturally. I’m patchy for distance control on long ones when I look at the ball with any stroke. If I can get smth that works for both long and short putts and I can still look at the hole i’m in.

> >

>

> For the long ones, when you feel that you really have to hit it hard, pay a little bit of attention to the flex in your front (probably right) knee. The problem with hitting it hard with a longer swing with face on, at least for me, is coming up too quickly and topping the ball or at least not making the normal solid sweet spot contact. A little bit of extra flex, plus maintaining the flex, in that knee seems to fix that problem for me.

Yes that is the mistake I get too - topping or stabbing behind. I’ll try

> @"Joe Duffer" said:

> Here's a couple of videos of my friend, Jimmy. He's one of the best putters at my club!

That is fundamentally like the old-timer described in the Dave Pelz article:

"An elderly gentleman walks into the Dave Pelz Short Game School in Boca Raton, Fla. .... The old-timer takes his putter and stands facing the cup. Then he produces a sidesaddle-style stroke. Interesting, Pelz thinks. The man’s extended right arm grasps a longish putter on the front of the shaft so the back of his hand faces the hole, with one finger down the shaft like a pointer.

I've tried this and have gone back to I guess what's called pencil grip. In any case when I sense which muscles involved are quite similar if I let my right hand just hang to its neutral position. But I haven't given up on the back of hand facing the target it's just a little more awkward and I'm not sure if it offers more then the neutral pencil grip.