2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Martin Kaymer Loses PGA Tour Card

idrive

Way back in 1985, Dwight Gooden had one of the greatest seasons in MLB history...but management was convinced that he needed to work on his pickoff move!

Now, he clearly had some demons inside, but when you go 24-4 with a 1.53 ERA (for those stat wonks, his WAR of 12.2 remains today the single highest since the dead ball era in the 1910s), the only thing the Mets should have done is made sure he got to Shea on time. But then again, my Mets don't have the best ownership in sports :)

I'm not sure why athletes change when they are on top of their field.

> @idrive said:

> Pretty sad.

>

> I guess my biggest question is why do you try and change your swing when you're winning?

>

> https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/two-time-major-winner-martin-kaymer-loses-pga-tour-card-with-missed-cut-at-wyndham-championship/ar-AAFfCMU

Not the first, and probably won't be the last to have to face the consequences after changing the golf swing.

Some wanted longer distance, some are trying to find a different golf swing to deal with injury.

Very few had bounced back from golf swing changes.

As far back as I could remember, Billy Casper was one and recently TW. They had good fortune of being successful of the transformation. But I could use all my fingers and toes to count out the players whom had "lost it" after the change over.

I feel bad for those whom had to deal with injury.

> @caniac6 said:

> > @idrive said:

> > Pretty sad.

> >

> > I guess my biggest question is why do you try and change your swing when you're winning?

> >

> > https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/two-time-major-winner-martin-kaymer-loses-pga-tour-card-with-missed-cut-at-wyndham-championship/ar-AAFfCMU

>

> You could put that question in the Jordan Spieth thread.

And the Tiger Woods thread, Padrig Harrington, Luke Donald...et al.

> @wkuo3 said:

> > @idrive said:

> > Pretty sad.

> >

> > I guess my biggest question is why do you try and change your swing when you're winning?

> >

> > https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/two-time-major-winner-martin-kaymer-loses-pga-tour-card-with-missed-cut-at-wyndham-championship/ar-AAFfCMU

>

> Not the first, and probably won't be the last to have to face the consequences after changing the golf swing.

> Some wanted longer distance, some are trying to find a different golf swing to deal with injury.

> Very few had bounced back from golf swing changes.

> As far back as I could remember, Billy Casper was one and recently TW. They had good fortune of being successful of the transformation. But I could use all my fingers and toes to count out the players whom had "lost it" after the change over.

> I feel bad for those whom had to deal with injury.

It worked pretty well for Faldo, also winning 2 majors, then deciding to completely reengineer his swing. Faldo dropped even further, missing out on a Masters invite in 88, then the rest is history.

Not saying Kaymer is on Faldos level, but if he wants to, he'll be back.

• Like 1

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @bodhi555 said:

> Not saying Kaymer is on Faldos level, but if he wants to, he'll be back.

Of course he could, but it'll be an up hill battle.

For one thing, if he could not make the new swing work for him as the old one, then he'll lose one important mental edge, going from confident to self-doubt. That has no room in the top level competition.

Ben Hogan had to revemp his golf swing coming back from an injury . TW did also. Whether Kaymer could do the same is to be seen. There were too many just faded away after the swing change.

Quite a few of them changed because of injury issue and a few changed because they want more distance. Like us, we keep changing the golf equipment in hope for a better golf game. In hindsight, we probably should stay with set of golf clubs we're doing well with.

We'll lose a few weekend bets where the professionals will lose their lifetime dream, their livelihood.

• Like 1

I honestly felt he was playing over his head for many years. Surprised at his success. He wasn't nearly as long as peers like Rory and DJ. Wipey fade, average length hitter with nothing else exceptional wasn't going to make it.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @JD3 said:

> I honestly felt he was playing over his head for many years. Surprised at his success. He wasn't nearly as long as peers like Rory and DJ. Wipey fade, average length hitter with nothing else exceptional wasn't going to make it.

Based on results he is a hall of famer though right? 2 majors, 1 players, was world #1 for a while, nice handful of regular tour wins including a WGC. Pretty good for a short wipey little fade.

• Like 1

> @manku said:

> Way back in 1985, Dwight Gooden had one of the greatest seasons in MLB history...but management was convinced that he needed to work on his pickoff move!

> Now, he clearly had some demons inside, but when you go 24-4 with a 1.53 ERA (for those stat wonks, his WAR of 12.2 remains today the single highest since the dead ball era in the 1910s), the only thing the Mets should have done is made sure he got to Shea on time. But then again, my Mets don't have the best ownership in sports :)

> I'm not sure why athletes change when they are on top of their field.

Was a huge baseball fan in my younger days. I remember his 85 season ( yes I was 6 ) like it was yesterday and also the 87 season for Canseco and mcgwire .... I still remember gluing myself to the set each game Doc pitched and each As game that came on. Good times.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1st - Sure frustrating not to be able to "multi-quote"! Many excellent posts I would like to respond to. Having to go back and do them one at a time is ... well ... not as fun. :)

Anyway... As someone that has played Golf their entire life there are several posts that have hit home in regards to essentially answering my own question about the swing change. I have forever tinkered with mine in hopes and expectations of improvement. Needless to say I have never reached the level of the tour player (or tried to) but have always wanted to be the best I could be. Looking back it seems that every time I have played quite well I've headed back to the range to try and improve upon it but obviously not having reached the pinnacle of winning PGA tournaments, so have always thought I could get a little more something.

Golf is hard. I think that's a big part of the reason I love this game. It truly is what I look forward to outside of family day in and day out. (Can't wait to fly to S. Dakota on the 16th for three days just to take my grand daughter back to school shopping.) I keep saying how talented, how deep the "field" is now. Sometimes in certain context I sure get flamed for it... but as a professional golfer I can't imagine risking a proven swing, game, in an attempt to get better when you're already there.

I recently retired early (without worries) to play golf. It would kill me to retire from golf. So anyway it's off to the course to work on my new (old?) putting stroke. lol

Appreciate the comments and those that have participated in this thread. I guess time will tell how much the game means to Kaymer. Drift away or make a comeback at the highest level again. I would put Donald and a couple others on that list but most of the other ones I'm sure will keep at it and do wish them the best. Golf is hard. At the highest level it's even harder when it becomes your means of support.

> @aliikane said:

> Not just Kaymer. Lots of notables. Luke Donald, Daniel Berger, Hunter Mahan, Bill Haas, Beau Hossler, Ollie Schniederjans, Harris English, Sam Saunders, Sang Moon Bae. It just tells you how tough pro golf is now. So few spots and too many good players.

This exactly, the crop of players trying to make it on Tour right now means a lot of great players won't make the cut. At least Kaymer can return home and rebuild on the EU Tour, which he seems to still contend decently from the events I caught on TV this season.

> @bodhi555 said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> > > @idrive said:

> > > Pretty sad.

> > >

> > > I guess my biggest question is why do you try and change your swing when you're winning?

> > >

> > > https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/two-time-major-winner-martin-kaymer-loses-pga-tour-card-with-missed-cut-at-wyndham-championship/ar-AAFfCMU

> >

> > Not the first, and probably won't be the last to have to face the consequences after changing the golf swing.

> > Some wanted longer distance, some are trying to find a different golf swing to deal with injury.

> > Very few had bounced back from golf swing changes.

> > As far back as I could remember, Billy Casper was one and recently TW. They had good fortune of being successful of the transformation. But I could use all my fingers and toes to count out the players whom had "lost it" after the change over.

> > I feel bad for those whom had to deal with injury.

>

> It worked pretty well for Faldo, also winning 2 majors, then deciding to completely reengineer his swing. Faldo dropped even further, missing out on a Masters invite in 88, then the rest is history.

>

> Not saying Kaymer is on Faldos level, but if he wants to, he'll be back.

Faldo started his swing re-build with Leadbetter in the middle of 1985. He hadn't won a major at that point and when he had gotten in contention he concluded he didn't have what it took to win hence the decision to do the swing re-build. According to Faldo himself the process spanned into three years as he was working on it 85, 86 & 87.

• Like 1
[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @bodhi555 said:

> > > @wkuo3 said:

> > > > @idrive said:

> > > > Pretty sad.

> > > >

> > > > I guess my biggest question is why do you try and change your swing when you're winning?

> > > >

> > > > https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/two-time-major-winner-martin-kaymer-loses-pga-tour-card-with-missed-cut-at-wyndham-championship/ar-AAFfCMU

> > >

> > > Not the first, and probably won't be the last to have to face the consequences after changing the golf swing.

> > > Some wanted longer distance, some are trying to find a different golf swing to deal with injury.

> > > Very few had bounced back from golf swing changes.

> > > As far back as I could remember, Billy Casper was one and recently TW. They had good fortune of being successful of the transformation. But I could use all my fingers and toes to count out the players whom had "lost it" after the change over.

> > > I feel bad for those whom had to deal with injury.

> >

> > It worked pretty well for Faldo, also winning 2 majors, then deciding to completely reengineer his swing. Faldo dropped even further, missing out on a Masters invite in 88, then the rest is history.

> >

> > Not saying Kaymer is on Faldos level, but if he wants to, he'll be back.

>

> Faldo started his swing re-build with Leadbetter in the middle of 1985. He hadn't won a major at that point and when he had gotten in contention he concluded he didn't have what it took to win hence the decision to do the swing re-build. According to Faldo himself the process spanned into three years as he was working on it 85, 86 & 87.

Indeed, they used to name him Nick Foldo. Mental prepareness is one thing he had gotten over at that time. Confidence can be built from a more reliable golf swing for sure.

Leadbetter had helped many professionals came over from off shore to the PGA nd the LPGA plus the Junior program. Some of them were given free lessons because he understood that they could not afford the lessons at the time they needed it the most. A nice guy.

Sometimes a valuable lesson for the golf swing could be a discussion of how things work in the golf swing, between the instructor and the student at a higher level.

> @wkuo3 said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > @bodhi555 said:

> > > > @wkuo3 said:

> > > > > @idrive said:

> > > > > Pretty sad.

> > > > >

> > > > > I guess my biggest question is why do you try and change your swing when you're winning?

> > > > >

> > > > > https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/two-time-major-winner-martin-kaymer-loses-pga-tour-card-with-missed-cut-at-wyndham-championship/ar-AAFfCMU

> > > >

> > > > Not the first, and probably won't be the last to have to face the consequences after changing the golf swing.

> > > > Some wanted longer distance, some are trying to find a different golf swing to deal with injury.

> > > > Very few had bounced back from golf swing changes.

> > > > As far back as I could remember, Billy Casper was one and recently TW. They had good fortune of being successful of the transformation. But I could use all my fingers and toes to count out the players whom had "lost it" after the change over.

> > > > I feel bad for those whom had to deal with injury.

> > >

> > > It worked pretty well for Faldo, also winning 2 majors, then deciding to completely reengineer his swing. Faldo dropped even further, missing out on a Masters invite in 88, then the rest is history.

> > >

> > > Not saying Kaymer is on Faldos level, but if he wants to, he'll be back.

> >

> > Faldo started his swing re-build with Leadbetter in the middle of 1985. He hadn't won a major at that point and when he had gotten in contention he concluded he didn't have what it took to win hence the decision to do the swing re-build. According to Faldo himself the process spanned into three years as he was working on it 85, 86 & 87.

>

> Indeed, they used to name him Nick Foldo. Mental prepareness is one thing he had gotten over at that time. Confidence can be built from a more reliable golf swing for sure.

> Leadbetter had helped many professionals came over from off shore to the PGA nd the LPGA plus the Junior program. Some of them were given free lessons because he understood that they could not afford the lessons at the time they needed it the most. A nice guy.

> Sometimes a valuable lesson for the golf swing could be a discussion of how things work in the golf swing, between the instructor and the student at a higher level.

Faldo also said during his win at the Heritage in 84 he realised there was a problem as he scraped over the line but by the Memorial in 85 he decided he was going to go for it with regards to the swing change. He missed the Masters in 86 & 87 but played in 88 as The Open champ having won at Muirfield in 87.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

• 2 weeks later...

> @grm24 said:

> PGA Tour grants Martin Kaymer conditional status for 2019/2020 season.

>

> https://www.golfchannel.com/news/martin-kaymer-remains-member-good-standing-despite-missing-15-start-requirement

Interesting article as it actually provides insight into the decision. Non-appearance at Barbasol due to being first alternate at Portrush was taken into account, seems fair.

• Like 1
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Followed him at the World Cup last year. He had control of his ball that day, including a nice draw with the driver when he needed it (clearly teed it higher for the draw, lower for the fade). Seems a really good guy too

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

> @idrive said:

> 1st - Sure frustrating not to be able to "multi-quote"! Many excellent posts I would like to respond to. Having to go back and do them one at a time is ... well ... not as fun. :)

>

Pretty sure it works fine...gonna try it now.

> @anth said:

> Followed him at the World Cup last year. He had control of his ball that day, including a nice draw with the driver when he needed it (clearly teed it higher for the draw, lower for the fade). Seems a really good guy too

Yep, it does. Is this what you want it to do?

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > PGA Tour grants Martin Kaymer conditional status for 2019/2020 season.

> >

> > https://www.golfchannel.com/news/martin-kaymer-remains-member-good-standing-despite-missing-15-start-requirement

>

> Interesting article as it actually provides insight into the decision. Non-appearance at Barbasol due to being first alternate at Portrush was taken into account, seems fair.

You can always say play better and not be the 1st alternate in the Open. With that said this is why I said Duval should not have taken a spot in the Open and let someone like Kaymer in that actually had something to play for..at least the pga took that stuff into consideration when making their ruling.

> @snizzle said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > @grm24 said:

> > > PGA Tour grants Martin Kaymer conditional status for 2019/2020 season.

> > >

> > > https://www.golfchannel.com/news/martin-kaymer-remains-member-good-standing-despite-missing-15-start-requirement

> >

> > Interesting article as it actually provides insight into the decision. Non-appearance at Barbasol due to being first alternate at Portrush was taken into account, seems fair.

>

> You can always say play better and not be the 1st alternate in the Open. With that said this is why I said Duval should not have taken a spot in the Open and let someone like Kaymer in that actually had something to play for..at least the pga took that stuff into consideration when making their ruling.

I think the PGA Tour tries to be understanding and not hard-nosed about these things.

With regards to The Open, Duval has earned his spot in the field. His scores were really bad this year especially round 1 but he was playing with an injury.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]