Mizuno MP-20 HMB - July 2019

GolfWRX

> @jetmech879 said:

> I saw a post from those saying they felt like the fli hi. Those feel pretty darn solid to me. I aggre 100% taylormade nailed the acoustics on the p790, not so much the feel though. I'm hopeful that mizuno would not release a MP iron that sounds hollow, even though it is.

Sound is feel, for the most part. To be fair HMB are not competing with p790. Not in the same league.(It's crazy how so many people consider the P790 a player iron) P790 fans need to look at JPX Forged/ Hot Metal Pros for comparability

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/Garage San Diego-Naked/2022 BB1-F/Las Vegas H7-Tour Silver

Pro V1X

> @"Gary Gutful" said:

> What makes HMB and players iron and p790 not? The only difference I can see is loft.

I'll admit I am kinda a P790, hater. ;)

I guess I can't say for certain, since I haven't hit or seen HMB, but I would say the difference is in their intended design and actual footprint. I feel that in a players iron all the priorities such as looks, feel, feedback, turf interaction, distance-control, etc all trump distance and distance is the least of it's priorities. 790 are kinda big and distance seem to be their first priority. They are nice irons for what they are, but I didn't get the feedback I would from a traditional forged CB(I know that HMB isn't that). They also aren't as nimble. I don't know if HMB will deliver that, but I know p760 was much better in that regard, and I feel is more along the line HMB is going for, at least in the short and mid irons. The long irons seem like driving irons. I'm excited to try them though.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/Garage San Diego-Naked/2022 BB1-F/Las Vegas H7-Tour Silver

Pro V1X

> @"Gary Gutful" said:

> What makes HMB and players iron and p790 not? The only difference I can see is loft.

Can't say I'm fully qualified to answer this BUT if the HMB is anything like the MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi in size then I'll tell you that the HMB would be smaller than a P790. The Fli-Hi is every bit smaller than the P790...but again I've never seen a HMB yet to honestly know it's true size comparison. Being part of the MP-20 family though likely means it will retain a smaller overall size footprint.

Titleist TSR3 Driver
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 3i

Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60*
Byron Morgan 615

Callaway Chrome Tour

> @"Gary Gutful" said:

> Based on the photos it looks to have similar footprint. As for offset, these are the numbers:

>

> HMB - 3 iron = 3.7mm; 6 iron = 3.4mm; 9 iron = 2.8mm.

>

> P790 - 3 iron = 3.9mm; 6 iron = 3.0mm; 9 iron = 2.1mm.

>

> Taylormade has less.

Wow, that's surprising on the offset!

Titleist TSR3 Driver
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 3i

Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60*
Byron Morgan 615

Callaway Chrome Tour

> @PowerCobra98 said:

> > @"Gary Gutful" said:

> > Based on the photos it looks to have similar footprint. As for offset, these are the numbers:

> >

> > HMB - 3 iron = 3.7mm; 6 iron = 3.4mm; 9 iron = 2.8mm.

> >

> > P790 - 3 iron = 3.9mm; 6 iron = 3.0mm; 9 iron = 2.1mm.

> >

> > Taylormade has less.

>

> Wow, that's surprising on the offset!

Yeah, Sounds kinda terrible actually. Haha! Has me losing interest.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

Pro V1X

No way > @chinaski said:

> > @jetmech879 said:

> > I saw a post from those saying they felt like the fli hi. Those feel pretty darn solid to me. I aggre 100% taylormade nailed the acoustics on the p790, not so much the feel though. I'm hopeful that mizuno would not release a MP iron that sounds hollow, even though it is.

>

> Sound is feel, for the most part. To be fair HMB are not competing with p790. Not in the same league.(It's crazy how so many people consider the P790 a player iron) P790 fans need to look at JPX Forged/ Hot Metal Pros for comparability

No way HMB is better than P790 in all categories, specially feel and looks, I replace my Callaway Legacy Black because I like the feel of P790 better and if you hit the legacy black, that is one of the best irons when it comes to feel.

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

> @PowerCobra98 said:

> > @"Gary Gutful" said:

> > Based on the photos it looks to have similar footprint. As for offset, these are the numbers:

> >

> > HMB - 3 iron = 3.7mm; 6 iron = 3.4mm; 9 iron = 2.8mm.

> >

> > P790 - 3 iron = 3.9mm; 6 iron = 3.0mm; 9 iron = 2.1mm.

> >

> > Taylormade has less.

>

> Wow, that's surprising on the offset!

The pics are clear and close up. Does not look like much offset to me!

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

> @mtex22 said:

> > @PowerCobra98 said:

> > > @"Gary Gutful" said:

> > > Based on the photos it looks to have similar footprint. As for offset, these are the numbers:

> > >

> > > HMB - 3 iron = 3.7mm; 6 iron = 3.4mm; 9 iron = 2.8mm.

> > >

> > > P790 - 3 iron = 3.9mm; 6 iron = 3.0mm; 9 iron = 2.1mm.

> > >

> > > Taylormade has less.

> >

> > Wow, that's surprising on the offset!

>

> The pics are clear and close up. Does not look like much offset to me!

The numbers are even clearer. Not a major surprise that Mizuno has more offset, particularly in 7-PW. They often have a bit more than other players irons. Particularly in their cavity backs.

> @viperstudio said:

> No way > @chinaski said:

> > > @jetmech879 said:

> > > I saw a post from those saying they felt like the fli hi. Those feel pretty darn solid to me. I aggre 100% taylormade nailed the acoustics on the p790, not so much the feel though. I'm hopeful that mizuno would not release a MP iron that sounds hollow, even though it is.

> >

> > Sound is feel, for the most part. To be fair HMB are not competing with p790. Not in the same league.(It's crazy how so many people consider the P790 a player iron) P790 fans need to look at JPX Forged/ Hot Metal Pros for comparability

>

> No way HMB is better than P790 in all categories, specially feel and looks, I replace my Callaway Legacy Black because I like the feel of P790 better and if you hit the legacy black, that is one of the best irons when it comes to feel.

Obviously feel and looks are subjective, but I just personally can't see why guys are constantly creaming over P790. P760 just look so much better to me in design, shape, etc. I feel like they are a different class.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

Pro V1X

> @"Gary Gutful" said:

> > @mtex22 said:

> > > @PowerCobra98 said:

> > > > @"Gary Gutful" said:

> > > > Based on the photos it looks to have similar footprint. As for offset, these are the numbers:

> > > >

> > > > HMB - 3 iron = 3.7mm; 6 iron = 3.4mm; 9 iron = 2.8mm.

> > > >

> > > > P790 - 3 iron = 3.9mm; 6 iron = 3.0mm; 9 iron = 2.1mm.

> > > >

> > > > Taylormade has less.

> > >

> > > Wow, that's surprising on the offset!

> >

> > The pics are clear and close up. Does not look like much offset to me!

>

> The numbers are even clearer. Not a major surprise that Mizuno has more offset, particularly in 7-PW. They often have a bit more than other players irons. Particularly in their cavity backs.

It does seems a little high compared to other more forgiving MP irons. HMB is looking a lot more like H4/H5 than I had originally anticipated.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

Pro V1X

It's looking more like a revamp of 2014 lineup.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

Pro V1X

The H4 was a very underrated set IMO, hollow long irons, half hollow mid irons, and one piece full forged 8-P. I thought they all felt nice, and the 8-P had a decent topline. Ideally this set redone with a slightly thinner sole and top line would be exceptional.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

> @mtex22 said:

> > @PowerCobra98 said:

> > > @"Gary Gutful" said:

> > > Based on the photos it looks to have similar footprint. As for offset, these are the numbers:

> > >

> > > HMB - 3 iron = 3.7mm; 6 iron = 3.4mm; 9 iron = 2.8mm.

> > >

> > > P790 - 3 iron = 3.9mm; 6 iron = 3.0mm; 9 iron = 2.1mm.

> > >

> > > Taylormade has less.

> >

> > Wow, that's surprising on the offset!

>

> The pics are clear and close up. Does not look like much offset to me!

I agree. It was more just surprise in relation to P790's. It doesn't matter to me, I'm getting a whole set from 4-PW of the HMB's!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 Driver
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 3i

Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60*
Byron Morgan 615

Callaway Chrome Tour

> @PowerCobra98 said:

> > @mtex22 said:

> > > @PowerCobra98 said:

> > > > @"Gary Gutful" said:

> > > > Based on the photos it looks to have similar footprint. As for offset, these are the numbers:

> > > >

> > > > HMB - 3 iron = 3.7mm; 6 iron = 3.4mm; 9 iron = 2.8mm.

> > > >

> > > > P790 - 3 iron = 3.9mm; 6 iron = 3.0mm; 9 iron = 2.1mm.

> > > >

> > > > Taylormade has less.

> > >

> > > Wow, that's surprising on the offset!

> >

> > The pics are clear and close up. Does not look like much offset to me!

>

> I agree. It was more just surprise in relation to P790's. It doesn't matter to me, I'm getting a whole set from 4-PW of the HMB's!

For sure as long as it looks great to my eye I am good. I am very picky about offset and based on the pics I am ok with what I see. Also happy the blade length looks to be on the shorter side. I hope @Vosh68 will see this and can shed some light on the sound and feel of the HMB. I am very interested in that.

I'm surprised that we haven't seen some of the YouTube guys getting their hands on these for some reviews.

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

> @Vosh68 said:

> Happy to!

> Feel is every bit an MP iron. Much more so than the previous MP-18 Fli-Hi and H5s. It's the reason we went to Forged and Copper Underlay (two things neither of those had). H4 was forged, and for those that hit it, had a softer feel than either of the other two mentioned. Closer to that, feel wise, but even softer based on the Copper.

> Regarding on how "Players" it is vs some of the competition, this was designed to fit into the MP family. Offsets, while they "measure" higher in the short irons, offset is a measurement that can be very misleading as the hosel transition plays a huge role in how it actually looks. As was pointed out previously, Mizuno tends to "measure" higher in offset, but the look is hidden. They are designed to flow into a set of muscle backs and MMC in that when the lofts are matched up, the offsets are too. And in terms of face design, these are designed for face consistency vs the max COR designs we see throughout this category in the industry. We want consistent call speeds across the face, not massive in the middle.

> Truly expect this to be the most "players" club in what is beginning to be a very crowded category of hollow forgings. Which, by the way, we may be the only one of those that have a forged face and neck, where the forging really matters.

This dude has instant street cred....unreal that he takes the time to speak to us common folk.

• Like 1

> @Vosh68 said:

> Happy to!

> Feel is every bit an MP iron. Much more so than the previous MP-18 Fli-Hi and H5s. It's the reason we went to Forged and Copper Underlay (two things neither of those had). H4 was forged, and for those that hit it, had a softer feel than either of the other two mentioned. Closer to that, feel wise, but even softer based on the Copper.

> Regarding on how "Players" it is vs some of the competition, this was designed to fit into the MP family. Offsets, while they "measure" higher in the short irons, offset is a measurement that can be very misleading as the hosel transition plays a huge role in how it actually looks. As was pointed out previously, Mizuno tends to "measure" higher in offset, but the look is hidden. They are designed to flow into a set of muscle backs and MMC in that when the lofts are matched up, the offsets are too. And in terms of face design, these are designed for face consistency vs the max COR designs we see throughout this category in the industry. We want consistent call speeds across the face, not massive in the middle.

> Truly expect this to be the most "players" club in what is beginning to be a very crowded category of hollow forgings. Which, by the way, we may be the only one of those that have a forged face and neck, where the forging really matters.

You the man Vosh! Thank you so much! Just one of the many reasons I love Mizuno and will always have them in the bag!

> @Vosh68 said:

> Happy to!

You just made me want these even more. As much as I love my JPX919 Forged I'm really looking forward to getting a set of these. Can't make a wrong decision any time I decide to take one set or the other to the course!

@Vosh68 can you by chance speak to the performance of these HMB's in the 8-PW? Can't say I'm not a little concerned in how they'll perform there...and specifically in relation to my current 919 Forged set.

Titleist TSR3 Driver
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 3i

Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60*
Byron Morgan 615

Callaway Chrome Tour

> @Vosh68 said:

> Happy to!

The H4’s were my first set of Mizuno irons. Playing 919 Tours in 5-P but sometimes play PXG 5&6. So, I’m really looking forward to these in at least 4-6. May give the Tours to my son and get the HMB’s in 4-P with 7 - P in MP 20’s for my stronger days - you’ll understand when you get old!

Can’t wait to try these out.

> @Vosh68 said:

> Happy to!

@Vosh68 - Thanks for answering my feel question and addressing the offset noise. I am even more so excited! Hopefully we see these in the fitting carts soon. I can't wait to pre-order especially with all the new shaft offering at no upcharge!! Win win

My buddy at the golf shop told me he will be getting heads on August 27th. It will be here before ya know it!

Wow, can’t say enough about how impressive it is to me that Vosh takes the time to respond in a deep sub forum like this. What a great brand ambassador! Definitely solidified my business for this release. Gonna order a hmb 3 iron and some mmc mid irons to work into a multigenerational Mizuno combo set. I may also order a full set of blades just to mess around with, although I don’t have game to actually make them my real gamers. Thanks Vosh, keep the good stuff coming!

These in the long irons would be amazing! So beautiful. I think it's the most beautiful hollow type club out there.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @Vosh68 said:

> Happy to!

Quality info...thankyou for your time and added value to this thread. Love ya work ;-)

@Vosh68 Awesome. Great post. Kind of forgot how the MP18 designed offset to blend with lofts. Got me all excited again.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

Pro V1X