ebay strategy

userpick21

A recent thread here had many of you saying you get better value out of selling clubs on eBay (vs BST). I don't think I've typically found this to be the case, especially when you factor in the 10% fee. So I was curious: am I doing it wrong? What have you found is the best way to sell on eBay? Buy it now? Auction? Lengths of time? I appreciate the insight!

I normally do Buy It Now with the Best Offer option. Generally, I have my Buy It Now price 10-15% higher than I am willing to take, many times somebody buys at the asking price. If I do an auction (I do 10-day), I make sure it ends at a time when people will normally be available (early Sunday evening is my preferred ending time). I have gotten some really great deals when people end their auctions in the middle of the night. If it is a newer item that has a large market, I start my bidding at 99 cents. If it is a more obscure item, I make sure to set my starting price at or near what I would like to receive.

I find items sell for more on ebay even after fees, but not by much vs bst. More of my items sell there than bst, that's for sure. I always give the bst a shot, then typically go over to ebay and items sell pretty quickly.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I pretty much sell exclusively on eBay since the site “improvements” here. If I have a rare/desirable/valuable/new w/aftermarket options/etc. type item, I may give here a try first (folks here seem to understand what it is they are looking at more than on eBay). But, that hasn’t been as fruitful as it used to be. Lower priced items (less than $100) aren’t even worth the time and effort selling here - buyers here seem to have forgotten that prices include shipping, PayPal, time & effort...

Selling on eBay... I’m pretty much 100% Buy-it-Now with a best offer option. I always try to do some research and make sure that what I’m selling is the most attractively priced example in it’s condition. Unless I’m not getting much interest, then I’ll relist as a 7 day auction. As someone above said, I always try to set my auctions to end at a high traffic time (usually Sunday evening, but M-Th around 9:30 seems to be a time that has the east coast in prime time, but still catches the west coast coming home from work). Buyers always pay shipping. Honestly, I’ve never started an auction above $.99, and I have don’t remember ever feeling like I totally got pilfered on a sale.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Items used to sell here much faster than they do with the new site. I think it mainly has to do with the feedback system on this new site. I know I have put stuff up for sale on old site and 95% sold fairly quickly at good prices, but now it seems like traffic is down big time. It is hard to even get responses to messages anymore. I sold an item 3 weeks ago and I wanted to check with buyer to see if they were happy and no response. Feedback is a must for buyers (is for me) and we need it back. Ebay has the feedback so I think that helps them sell your items much faster. You also have to think about the average golfer looking for gear as well, ebay MUCH bigger name than this site even though I trust and love this site 1000 times more than ebay

• Like 1

DRIVER --Rogue sub zero

FW- Rogue 3 wood
M2--5hl

IRONS--- jpx 900 forged 5-pw

WEDGES--T7-49-53-56-59

PUTTER-- scotty cameron buttonback

> @dmb3535 said:

> Items used to sell here much faster than they do with the new site. I think it mainly has to do with the feedback system on this new site. I know I have put stuff up for sale on old site and 95% sold fairly quickly at good prices, but now it seems like traffic is down big time. It is hard to even get responses to messages anymore. I sold an item 3 weeks ago and I wanted to check with buyer to see if they were happy and no response. Feedback is a must for buyers (is for me) and we need it back. Ebay has the feedback so I think that helps them sell your items much faster. You also have to think about the average golfer looking for gear as well, ebay MUCH bigger name than this site even though I trust and love this site 1000 times more than ebay

One thing I've found as someone trying to buy off BST is that searching for items on my iPhone is more difficult than it used to be.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

I haven’t been shopping for any clubs in a while and eBay is an absolute nightmare now with so much fake stuff and people claiming they have tour issue stuff but won’t give you the serial numbers or it’s a complete fake. So who is it on eBay that we can trust? Anyone have someone they deal with on a regular basis that’s 100% legit?

> @larciel said:

> since ebay still has upper hand over Amazon on used clubs, it is the go-to place online. I'd bet you have 10 times the exposure than BST.

> I've sold numerous items to oversea's people on ebay.

Not 10 times the exposure, it's more like 50-100 times. I sell a lot of stuff and have also shipped all over the world, it's amazing what people scoop up.

> @jschwarb said:

> > @larciel said:

> > since ebay still has upper hand over Amazon on used clubs, it is the go-to place online. I'd bet you have 10 times the exposure than BST.

> > I've sold numerous items to oversea's people on ebay.

> Not 10 times the exposure, it's more like 50-100 times. I sell a lot of stuff and have also shipped all over the world, it's amazing what people scoop up.

I also do their global shipping program. I pay to ship to Kentucky and ebay takes it from there. Sold everything from Camerons to Jordans. You hit about 80% of the worlds population on ebay and can see their feedback, while here, you hit a very tiny core group of golfers, and we don't have a feedback system. I still try to sell here first and would much prefer to deal with the people here, but lately, it hasn't been worth the effort to post an ad.

> @Lenny2 said:

> I haven’t been shopping for any clubs in a while and eBay is an absolute nightmare now with so much fake stuff and people claiming they have tour issue stuff but won’t give you the serial numbers or it’s a complete fake. So who is it on eBay that we can trust? Anyone have someone they deal with on a regular basis that’s 100% legit?

It’s not like there’s an exclusive list of trusted eBay vendors, and dealing with anyone outside of that list is Russian roulette. It’s just like anything else, you gotta put in some effort and not just hit the “add to cart” button & hope. Check feedback. See a lot of negatives/ neutrals or not much feedback at all? Maybe move along. Ask questions. If you’re not comfortable with the answers, keep shopping. Look at pictures - if something looks off, either move along or start doing some questioning and researching. Educate yourself on what to keep an eye out for in items you are shopping for. Google sellers and items. Search here for bad/good feedback on established sellers, and threads on counterfeit items - there’s tons of threads dedicated to specific clubs and identifying counterfeits here in the DonD forum. Always be specific in what you’re looking for, what you’re willing to compromise on, and never hesitate to walk away quickly from any items that don’t check all of your boxes (or items being sold by someone you don’t feel comfortable about). There’s lots of sellers on eBay with lots of items, never settle for something or take a chance.

It’s a big scary world out there, especially for folks shopping on the secondary markets online and unwilling to put in the time and effort to make their experience as safe and satisfying as possible. It’s possible that some people might be better served buying new from retail outlets. The extra spent may just seem like a bargain when they’ve saved themselves the hassle and headache of second guessing every purchase they make. Plus, it may save this forum from a bunch of “Is my _______ I Just Bought on eBay Fake?” threads.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

> @GoIrish17 said:

> > @Lenny2 said:

> > I haven’t been shopping for any clubs in a while and eBay is an absolute nightmare now with so much fake stuff and people claiming they have tour issue stuff but won’t give you the serial numbers or it’s a complete fake. So who is it on eBay that we can trust? Anyone have someone they deal with on a regular basis that’s 100% legit?

>

> It’s not like there’s an exclusive list of trusted eBay vendors, and dealing with anyone outside of that list is Russian roulette. It’s just like anything else, you gotta put in some effort and not just hit the “add to cart” button & hope. Check feedback. See a lot of negatives/ neutrals or not much feedback at all? Maybe move along. Ask questions. If you’re not comfortable with the answers, keep shopping. Look at pictures - if something looks off, either move along or start doing some questioning and researching. Educate yourself on what to keep an eye out for in items you are shopping for. Google sellers and items. Search here for bad/good feedback on established sellers, and threads on counterfeit items - there’s tons of threads dedicated to specific clubs and identifying counterfeits here in the DonD forum. Always be specific in what you’re looking for, what you’re willing to compromise on, and never hesitate to walk away quickly from any items that don’t check all of your boxes (or items being sold by someone you don’t feel comfortable about). There’s lots of sellers on eBay with lots of items, never settle for something or take a chance.

>

>

> It’s a big scary world out there, especially for folks shopping on the secondary markets online and unwilling to put in the time and effort to make their experience as safe and satisfying as possible. It’s possible that some people might be better served buying new from retail outlets. The extra spent may just seem like a bargain when they’ve saved themselves the hassle and headache of second guessing every purchase they make. Plus, it may save this forum from a bunch of “Is my _______ I Just Bought on eBay Fake?” threads.

>

>

Great advice. Unfortunately, even all of that can’t save one from a “Is my ______ I Just Bought on eBay Fake?” thread.

See here :) https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1785367/fake-g400-max#latest

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

> @GoIrish17 said:

> > @Lenny2 said:

> > I haven’t been shopping for any clubs in a while and eBay is an absolute nightmare now with so much fake stuff and people claiming they have tour issue stuff but won’t give you the serial numbers or it’s a complete fake. So who is it on eBay that we can trust? Anyone have someone they deal with on a regular basis that’s 100% legit?

>

> It’s not like there’s an exclusive list of trusted eBay vendors, and dealing with anyone outside of that list is Russian roulette. It’s just like anything else, you gotta put in some effort and not just hit the “add to cart” button & hope. Check feedback. See a lot of negatives/ neutrals or not much feedback at all? Maybe move along. Ask questions. If you’re not comfortable with the answers, keep shopping. Look at pictures - if something looks off, either move along or start doing some questioning and researching. Educate yourself on what to keep an eye out for in items you are shopping for. Google sellers and items. Search here for bad/good feedback on established sellers, and threads on counterfeit items - there’s tons of threads dedicated to specific clubs and identifying counterfeits here in the DonD forum. Always be specific in what you’re looking for, what you’re willing to compromise on, and never hesitate to walk away quickly from any items that don’t check all of your boxes (or items being sold by someone you don’t feel comfortable about). There’s lots of sellers on eBay with lots of items, never settle for something or take a chance.

>

>

> It’s a big scary world out there, especially for folks shopping on the secondary markets online and unwilling to put in the time and effort to make their experience as safe and satisfying as possible. It’s possible that some people might be better served buying new from retail outlets. The extra spent may just seem like a bargain when they’ve saved themselves the hassle and headache of second guessing every purchase they make. Plus, it may save this forum from a bunch of “Is my _______ I Just Bought on eBay Fake?” threads.

>

>

Great advice here. I typically buy stuff on eBay from retailers that have an eBay store front(cally preowned, golf etail, global golf, Dallas golf, etc). Anything under 99% feedback and I dig into the feedback ratings a little more for individual sellers.

> @cardia10 said:

> > @jschwarb said:

> > > @larciel said:

> > > since ebay still has upper hand over Amazon on used clubs, it is the go-to place online. I'd bet you have 10 times the exposure than BST.

> > > I've sold numerous items to oversea's people on ebay.

> > Not 10 times the exposure, it's more like 50-100 times. I sell a lot of stuff and have also shipped all over the world, it's amazing what people scoop up.

>

> I also do their global shipping program. I pay to ship to Kentucky and ebay takes it from there. Sold everything from Camerons to Jordans. You hit about 80% of the worlds population on ebay and can see their feedback, while here, you hit a very tiny core group of golfers, and we don't have a feedback system. I still try to sell here first and would much prefer to deal with the people here, but lately, it hasn't been worth the effort to post an ad.

I agree ebay sells a lot faster than here, WRX. However, I do list here first before it moves over to ebay (typically Page 5). I like the old site better for the feedback but for me, a sale is a sale and I usually protect my sale with signature and insurance (yeah, its a cost but worth the peace of min). As for pricing, i usually list ebay higher than I would list here to try and compensate for the 10% commission.

However, ebay will start applying sales tax (for CA it's 10/1/19) and that, may, dampen sales

I found it interesting you're using their global shipping program but I am reluctant to do that for the extended shipping period and more chances something will go wrong. I once shipped to PR with USPS signature and it was never confirmed delivery but I heard nothing from the buyer so I assume they received it. Luckily it was iron covers so it was only about $15.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Just had a buyer in Malaysia back out of buying my pricey Epic SZ Triple Diamond head. He kept asking me to waive the import taxes and after I told him for the 3rd time I could not legally do that - he disappeared. Its a bummer when you let an auction run its course to have that happen.

• TSi2 9*, G4 HZRDUS Black 60s
  • SIM2 Ti @ 17*, LinQ Purple 70S
  • TS2 21* + 24* HZRDUS Bl Smoke 80s
  • T100S 6-PW, TTDG S300
  • SM9 52* 56* 60* TTDG S300
  • White Hot OG 7 Bird 

All about what your looking to buy and the condition. I find much better condition stuff on here for cheaper than I would on ebay, but if youre looking for more used stuff I think ebay is better.

I find wedges are cheaper on ebay. Just bought a very slightly used sm6 on there for $28.

> @dmecca2 said:

> All about what your looking to buy and the condition. I find much better condition stuff on here for cheaper than I would on ebay, but if youre looking for more used stuff I think ebay is better.

> I find wedges are cheaper on ebay. Just bought a very slightly used sm6 on there for $28.

This used to be true but I am finding exactly the opposite now. Sadly I can get much better and more realistic prices on new or lightly used clubs on ebay than here.

As a buyer, BST is a trusted source but kind of not organized yet for messaging easily, feedback, phone searching. To buy, I trust CallowayPreowned, who verify the authenticity of all clubs for sale, new or used, although they might be a bit higher in price--however, everything I've gotten from them has been pristine, even if they tag it "average." For price, Rock Bottom Golf I've found to be the lowest. For me, I don't trust that many of them check for fakes, but the good thing is that most of them easily take returns. If you're picking to resell what you buy, there's good advice above about timing auctions. Lots to find at low prices if you spend the time and are savvy.

Selling is a different issue. The 10% that eBay charges is well worth the admission to the millions of buyers they provide, like the percentage PayPal charges for their secure, smooth services. I have never successfully used the auction solution. I have had great success putting overly high prices on items I think have value (like Eye2 sand/lob wedges, Hogan irons, many others), then negotiating when I get offers in messages. I rarely use Best Offer because you're telling customers your price is too high and you'll come down. Doesn't make sense. Having perceived confidence in your price is better, because customers can now make an offer whether you choose that option or not, on any listing.

I haven't found that Free Shipping makes much of a difference. It is a nice thing to offer, if you're sure someone remote won't order your item. On the other hand, charging a flat fee sometimes means you'll be splitting the shipping, so price wisely. On heavier items, I use calculated shipping, so people local to me don't get screwed by a high fixed shipping price I'd have to put on the listing to cover me if someone in Washington State orders the clubs (I'm in VA).

All that is basic 101. What is really important and what will make your listing stand out: excellent, cropped, edited photos. You get excellet photos by first cleaning your product, placing it in a background and lighting that makes it look good (not on the bed), and making certain your photos are in focus. Your listing copy needs to be read and absorbed quickly and easily--no long listings, no rambling, be honest about defects but stress positives, even how you feel about your item. Come off as if you know what you're talking about, not trying to be hip or flip. A friendly, personal approach is better than too much detail and trying to look like a business.

On BST, I have found all the participants/members to be friendly, helpful, and generally flexible. I've gotten good deals here, while some have spammed me--kind of expected. My approach to sales has always been this: don't sell. Offer positive value, proof of value, and be sincere. And don't be afraid to say "if you don't like it and don't hurt it, return it free." I usually offer this behind the scenes in a message, generally during negotiation. For me, no one has ever returned anything.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

> @"Little Ned" said:

> Pictures make a huge difference. It takes an extra 5 seconds to provide several clear, in focus pictures. That 5 seconds alone can easily increase what buyers are willing to pay.

This is excellent advice. When I’m shopping, if an item has few or crappy photos, I just keep on scrolling. Everyone has a phone that takes pretty decent pictures. If someone doesn’t take the time to take clear and detailed photos, I just assume they’re hiding something.

With older clubs that tend to sit, eBay always tries to get me to do the price lowering scheme - 10% intervals. I did that a couple of times but it just eats into any price over time. What I've found is that if you have an older set with value. Set the price fairly and let it sit. It takes patience, but you'll get a bite at some point.

Whether you're selling just a driver head or including the shaft as well, it always helps to include a head cover. You can find the head cover on eBay for $10-20. Adding that alone pays for itself.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if its the feedback problems or sign of the times, but I have also found selling on ebay will bring more even after fees. Didn't used to be that way but for me anyway, unless you have the newest and greatest item, you need to be willing to take garage sale prices. Also on ebay its more the norm to charge something for shipping and on here its sort of expected for seller to pay shipping. It goes opposite for buying though as ebay has a much higher risk of buying something fake. Also as others have mentioned, have your listing end at night. And if you are just starting on ebay, you need to buy some small items or something to get your feedback number up. I don't ever buy from anyone with a low feedback, even if its 100%.

• Like 1

I have to say the BST here appears to have gotten a different character over the last few months. It seems to be slowing down quite a bit. I am noticing more members that have no history coming out of nowhere to buy or sell. Typically, these fresh users haven't been great to deal with (some are ok). For instance, I don't get a lot of veteran users making offers at half of my listed price-which is generally below any historical ebay sale of comparable items-while I regularly get these from newish users that have signed up. I am ok with folks making an aggressive offer, but some of these conversations I have had are just not fun to have as a hobby seller. I have also seen a bunch more scammer seller/buyer talk on here, which I believe has eroded confidence across the board. Bummer, as being able to transact safely with like minded equipment fanatics made the club ho'ing hobby more fun for me.

• Like 1

To be honest from my experience it's been things like coming here to look for a fairway wood and finding that people are listing it on the BST for $150.00 well used and then finding I can get a brand new one on ebay for just over $100 from a reputable seller. Or on the BST a driver head is going for X bucks and on ebay the same driver with shaft is once again selling for less. Under these circumstances, why would I buy anything here anymore? So from a selling perspective since it feels like a bad place to buy, it also feels to like a bad place to sell. Add on top of that the loss of the rep system... and it's just seems like a mess here now.

• Like 1