Golf course charges fee for using your own pull cart

Hello, the course I am a member at wants to charge a $15 fee for using a pull cart. Not using one of their pull carts, one of your own. I fail to understand the reasoning of this. I want to walk when i play golf but carrying 25 pounds on my back is not the best option for me. Is this a common practice now? I dont want to skirt the rules but I'm thinking of just bringing my pull cart to the course and walking and seeing if anyone says anything

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
Titleist Pro V1x

Definite money grab. I know some courses charge a ~trail fee if you have your own golf cart...that's a money grab also, but at least there is a bit more justification- wear and tear on course and cost to maintain cart paths. I doubt a player + pull cart puts much more wear and tear on a course than a player carrying.

I'd say something if this was a new fee, but your likely SOL, if it was in place before you joined. Whether employees enforce this fee is a different story.

Time to get a new club. This is the type of death roll right before places go under. It's a shameless F-U to the members.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

If you have another option for golf, I'd tell that course to go pound sand. What a sad attempt to get more money out of people. I understand cart revenue is huge for courses, but penalizing someone for not wanting to take a cart is absurd. I used to carry when I was younger, but it was too much on my back and neck so I've used a push cart for probably 6-7 years now. I much prefer to walk over ride and would be looking at other course options if my home course pulled this crap.

If they instituted a small, annual trail fee for say $50-75 I probably wouldn't balk at that since I get in around 30-40 rounds. But $15 a round is just flat out price gouging.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Not sure where you are located OP, but those charges are some major ****. My home course doesn't charge any fee for walkers using their own push carts or even for those who borrow one from the club. This just screams a big money gouge/elitist atmosphere.

Sidenote/Question: Why are pushcarts so looked down upon here compared to areas like the UK?

• Like 1

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

our course has rickshaw pull carts for use for free

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @macedan said:

> Not sure where you are located OP, but those charges are some major ****. My home course doesn't charge any fee for walkers using their own push carts or even for those who borrow one from the club. This just screams a big money gouge/elitist atmosphere.

>

> Sidenote/Question: Why are pushcarts so looked down upon here compared to areas like the UK?

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
Titleist Pro V1x

Do you folks really not "get it," or do you just not like it? The pull carts, like the actual carts, are a source of income. That income goes toward any number of things once the cost of the carts' purchase is paid off. If the club can't budget for that revenue, and the members expect that the course and its services are going to be maintained, then the cost of something else has to go up. It's pretty simple.

Go ahead and have more members stop using the pull carts and regular carts. Decide that since you're a member, and you already paid dues, you all should be able to use your own stuff/carry your own bag and not have to pay a trail fee. See what happens to the club's revenue. And see what happens to your dues the following year.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should like it. I don't like it, either. But to not "get it" is being short-sighted (clueless?) about operations, or just not wanting to get it in hopes that maybe it'll go away.

> @KMeloney said:

> Do you folks really not "get it," or do you just not like it? The pull carts, like the actual carts, are a source of income. That income goes toward any number of things once the cost of the carts' purchase is paid off. If the club can't budget for that revenue, and the members expect that the course and its services are going to be maintained, then the cost of something else has to go up. It's pretty simple.

>

> Go ahead and have more members stop using the pull carts and regular carts. Decide that since you're a member, and you already paid dues, you all should be able to use your own stuff/carry your own bag and not have to pay a trail fee. See what happens to the club's revenue. And see what happens to your dues the following year.

>

> I'm not suggesting that anyone should like it. I don't like it, either. But to not "get it" is being short-sighted (clueless?) about operations, or just not wanting to get it in hopes that maybe it'll go away.

I think you're the one who doesn't "get it" ...

The course is saying it's a "fee" for using a cart, but it's really a tack on to the greens fee, or a tax. It's a "hidden" fee, and customers don't like that, because it's a way businesses bait and switch customers into coming to their place of business. If I pay $200 for a pull cart that I want to take to any course, why should I pay a course $15 for the privilege of pulling on on their property, when I already paid $75 to play golf? If you want to charge me $90 to play golf, just do that, but don't say your green fee is "only" $75 and then nickel and dime me for "mandatory" charges.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

> @KMeloney said:

> Do you folks really not "get it," or do you just not like it? The pull carts, like the actual carts, are a source of income. That income goes toward any number of things once the cost of the carts' purchase is paid off. If the club can't budget for that revenue, and the members expect that the course and its services are going to be maintained, then the cost of something else has to go up. It's pretty simple.

>

> Go ahead and have more members stop using the pull carts and regular carts. Decide that since you're a member, and you already paid dues, you all should be able to use your own stuff/carry your own bag and not have to pay a trail fee. See what happens to the club's revenue. And see what happens to your dues the following year.

>

> I'm not suggesting that anyone should like it. I don't like it, either. But to not "get it" is being short-sighted (clueless?) about operations, or just not wanting to get it in hopes that maybe it'll go away.

Do you not "get it" or do you just not like it? Everybody obviously knows they are sources of income. If your club cannot budget properly to the point where they need to charge $15-$20 for use of a shoddy $50 push cart they picked up (I'd probably understand a fee for a pricey Clicgear, maybe) or a "trail fee" (genuinely speaking this thread is the first time I have heard of this fee before) then said club has to hemorrhaging funds elsewhere.

We do have members using their own carts and 99% use their own push carts, although I've been a member for only two years, records from the last 5 years show no increase in dues and minute increase from a decade prior. Problems stem from poor resource management and then clubs spike prices to compensate typically leading to frustrated consumers who go elsewhere because of ridiculous fees on an already expensive game/sport further decreasing interest in new members hoping to uptake the game.

Edit: Edited "you're" to your as improper grammar nulls an argument according to the internet

• Like 1

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

Wow. Do they charge you for using your own bag, or do you have to use theirs as well? I would never play there if I were a push cart kinda guy. Just ridiculous.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @KMeloney said:

>

>

Seems like a budgeting issue the course management needs to sit down and look at. The quality of the course and services provided shouldn't be depended upon pull carts being rented or not. There's thousands of courses that provide a pull cart rental and don't charge you that rental fee if you decide to use your own instead.

• Like 2

OP, is it possible they misunderstood you when you said you're using a push cart? Perhaps they thought you were using one that belongs to the club. Next time you go, just say you're walking, and don't mention the push cart. I have never been charged to use my own push cart anywhere, and it wouldn't be unreasonable for you to assume you can use your own for free.

> @tatertot said:

> > @KMeloney said:

> > Do you folks really not "get it," or do you just not like it? The pull carts, like the actual carts, are a source of income. That income goes toward any number of things once the cost of the carts' purchase is paid off. If the club can't budget for that revenue, and the members expect that the course and its services are going to be maintained, then the cost of something else has to go up. It's pretty simple.

> >

> > Go ahead and have more members stop using the pull carts and regular carts. Decide that since you're a member, and you already paid dues, you all should be able to use your own stuff/carry your own bag and not have to pay a trail fee. See what happens to the club's revenue. And see what happens to your dues the following year.

> >

> > I'm not suggesting that anyone should like it. I don't like it, either. But to not "get it" is being short-sighted (clueless?) about operations, or just not wanting to get it in hopes that maybe it'll go away.

>

> I think you're the one who doesn't "get it" ...

>

> The course is saying it's a "fee" for using a cart, but it's really a tack on to the greens fee, or a tax. It's a "hidden" fee, and customers don't like that, because it's a way businesses bait and switch customers into coming to their place of business. If I pay $200 for a pull cart that I want to take to any course, why should I pay a course $15 for the privilege of pulling on on their property, when I already paid $75 to play golf? If you want to charge me $90 to play golf, just do that, but don't say your green fee is "only" $75 and then nickel and dime me for "mandatory" charges.

Think that all you want. It doesn't bother me.

I'm not talking about how a course advertises its prices (and I don't think the OP is either), so the idea that it's a "hidden fee" is moot. The course might also not advertise the fact that you otherwise might have to take a cart or caddie, and what those costs are, but that doesn't make those costs "hidden." It's a fee that they budget for, and when they don't get that fee, then that's lost or foregone revenue. If you think they need a sign out front or a message on its website that states all of the fees and regulations up front, then so be it. It's a different conversation.

Let's take your example. You bought your own pull cart. For starters, that doesn't entitle you to take it anywhere, especially not to a course that won't allow it. If a course allows it, but charges you to use it, then it's likely because they already have ones for your use that they've budgeted for, or have electric/gas carts that they can charge more for (and which have much higher maintenance/replacement costs), or have a caddie program that they're trying to maintain by having people actually use them. Whether you paid $200 or $5000 for your pull cart doesn't much matter -- letting you use it there without charging you to do so is lost revenue to the club. The relevant part is only charging you $75 for a greens fee when you're not going to use one of its carts.

Speaking of the "privilege" of using your cart on their property, they're extending you the privilege of access to and use of anything on their course. And there's a cost to that privilege. It's up to you to decide whether the privilege is worth the price. Now, you're suggesting that you'd rather just pay a higher greens fee that incorporates the price of the pull cart in it already. But why?! Who the heck else wants to pay more for greens fees to cover a service they may or may not use because YOU want to do your own thing?! How is that not "total BS" for everyone else?

You mentioned $75 greens fees. Don't you think that cost is based on something, like what it takes to maintain the course and its services? And don't you think they try to keep that price attractive? If they reduce that price, maybe they won't be able to cover costs. If they raise it too much, maybe they lose members and/or guest play. But if you're willing to justify a higher greens fee that incorporates the pull cart trail fee, then why can't you also justify a lower greens fee and a separate cost for a separate service? What CAN'T be justified from a business sense is just letting people do their own thing without adjusting other costs somewhere.

> @el_b00t said:

> > @KMeloney said:

> > Do you folks really not "get it," or do you just not like it? The pull carts, like the actual carts, are a source of income. That income goes toward any number of things once the cost of the carts' purchase is paid off. If the club can't budget for that revenue, and the members expect that the course and its services are going to be maintained, then the cost of something else has to go up. It's pretty simple.

> >

> > Go ahead and have more members stop using the pull carts and regular carts. Decide that since you're a member, and you already paid dues, you all should be able to use your own stuff/carry your own bag and not have to pay a trail fee. See what happens to the club's revenue. And see what happens to your dues the following year.

> >

> > I'm not suggesting that anyone should like it. I don't like it, either. But to not "get it" is being short-sighted (clueless?) about operations, or just not wanting to get it in hopes that maybe it'll go away.

>

> Seems like a budgeting issue the course management needs to sit down and look at. The quality of the course and services provided shouldn't be depended upon pull carts being rented or not. There's thousands of courses that provide a pull cart rental and don't charge you that rental fee if you decide to use your own instead.

Absolutely right. But I assure you that some part of its budget is dependent on those rentals, as small as it may be. The course isn't going to just eat the cost of them. The course had to buy them, maintain them, replace them, and store them (and there's labor associated with all of that, too). Even those thousands of courses you mention that rent carts and don't charge for your own, I'm betting that those costs are included elsewhere, making it appear as a free service (that would also be seriously looked at if enough people brought there own carts such that the club began to lose rental revenue).

> @macedan said:

> > @KMeloney said:

> >

> >

>

> Do you not "get it" or do you just not like it? Everybody obviously knows they are sources of income.

I just don't like it. And apparently not everyone knows about them being sources of income -- or that by taking one you're not spending $30 on a motorized cart, or supporting the caddie program, etc.