Golf course charges fee for using your own pull cart

> @jacob7071 said:

> OP, is it possible they misunderstood you when you said you're using a push cart? Perhaps they thought you were using one that belongs to the club. Next time you go, just say you're walking, and don't mention the push cart. I have never been charged to use my own push cart anywhere, and it wouldn't be unreasonable for you to assume you can use your own for free.

Nope it clearly states $15 to bring your own push cart.

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
Titleist Pro V1x

There is no question in my mind that push carts have negatively affected the revenue from golf carts. The average age of members at my club is "dead" and the club only has 30 electric carts for 450 members. Why? Because 90% of the annual rounds are walking rounds (carrying and push cart). The club doesn't charge you for using your own pushcart, BUT they do charge an annual push cart storage fee of $120. For the member that still walks, but doesn't want to lug their clicgear to/from their trunk every round, a $120 storage fee is reasonable and the club can use all the space historically used for electric carts.

I have no idea what the profit margin in on electric carts, but getting $120 pure profit from ~400 members is $48K a year. Nothing to sneeze at. They also charge $10/month for club storage and $10/month for a locker. Some may call it nickle and dime-ing the members, but it allows the club to keep a lower entry price per month and for people who want some extra conveniences, they can pay a reasonable amount of money.

However, to the OP's original post, $15/round to use your own cart is a little price gouging IMHO. If it were $5, I might swallow it. But it seems like this is also a public course that may be having a hard time making ends meet and cant raise the per round price because of local competition. And some genius in finance/marketing probably is making the assumption that for a $5 difference in price between using your own push cart and using their electric cart, they will get more customers to opt for their electric cart instead (I am just assuming that their fee for an electric cart is $20/round, it could be higher) and their revenues and profits will get better.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

> @KMeloney said:

> > @macedan said:

> > > @KMeloney said:

> > > Do you folks really not "get it," or do you just not like it? The pull carts, like the actual carts, are a source of income. That income goes toward any number of things once the cost of the carts' purchase is paid off. If the club can't budget for that revenue, and the members expect that the course and its services are going to be maintained, then the cost of something else has to go up. It's pretty simple.

> > >

> > > Go ahead and have more members stop using the pull carts and regular carts. Decide that since you're a member, and you already paid dues, you all should be able to use your own stuff/carry your own bag and not have to pay a trail fee. See what happens to the club's revenue. And see what happens to your dues the following year.

> > >

> > > I'm not suggesting that anyone should like it. I don't like it, either. But to not "get it" is being short-sighted (clueless?) about operations, or just not wanting to get it in hopes that maybe it'll go away.

> >

> > Do you not "get it" or do you just not like it? Everybody obviously knows they are sources of income.

>

> I just don't like it. And apparently not everyone knows about them being sources of income -- or that by taking one you're not spending $30 on a motorized cart, or supporting the caddie program, etc.

Fair enough. Reading your above posts, it is nice to see you also agree budgetary issues lead to such problems. I believe lots of courses are hurt by the perception that they should be held to the standards of Augusta national, immaculate 24/7, which leads to massive wastes in resources due to constant watering and mowing. I don't advocate for letting all maintenance take a steep downhill slope to disrepair (as a certain company *cough* GreatLife KC *cough* has been known to do), however scaling back and letting courses dry out a little bit so often would likely do wonders for cost reduction. Although, customers likely see it as decline in value and decreasing play. It seems there is no winning.

• Like 1

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

> @KMeloney said:

> > @tatertot said:

> > > @KMeloney said:

> > > Do you folks really not "get it," or do you just not like it? The pull carts, like the actual carts, are a source of income. That income goes toward any number of things once the cost of the carts' purchase is paid off. If the club can't budget for that revenue, and the members expect that the course and its services are going to be maintained, then the cost of something else has to go up. It's pretty simple.

> > >

> > > Go ahead and have more members stop using the pull carts and regular carts. Decide that since you're a member, and you already paid dues, you all should be able to use your own stuff/carry your own bag and not have to pay a trail fee. See what happens to the club's revenue. And see what happens to your dues the following year.

> > >

> > > I'm not suggesting that anyone should like it. I don't like it, either. But to not "get it" is being short-sighted (clueless?) about operations, or just not wanting to get it in hopes that maybe it'll go away.

> >

> > I think you're the one who doesn't "get it" ...

> >

> > The course is saying it's a "fee" for using a cart, but it's really a tack on to the greens fee, or a tax. It's a "hidden" fee, and customers don't like that, because it's a way businesses bait and switch customers into coming to their place of business. If I pay $200 for a pull cart that I want to take to any course, why should I pay a course $15 for the privilege of pulling on on their property, when I already paid $75 to play golf? If you want to charge me $90 to play golf, just do that, but don't say your green fee is "only" $75 and then nickel and dime me for "mandatory" charges.

>

> Think that all you want. It doesn't bother me.

>

> I'm not talking about how a course advertises its prices (and I don't think the OP is either), so the idea that it's a "hidden fee" is moot. The course might also not advertise the fact that you otherwise might have to take a cart or caddie, and what those costs are, but that doesn't make those costs "hidden." It's a fee that they budget for, and when they don't get that fee, then that's lost or foregone revenue. If you think they need a sign out front or a message on its website that states all of the fees and regulations up front, then so be it. It's a different conversation.

>

> Let's take your example. You bought your own pull cart. For starters, that doesn't entitle you to take it anywhere, especially not to a course that won't allow it. If a course allows it, but charges you to use it, then it's likely because they already have ones for your use that they've budgeted for, or have electric/gas carts that they can charge more for (and which have much higher maintenance/replacement costs), or have a caddie program that they're trying to maintain by having people actually use them. Whether you paid $200 or $5000 for your pull cart doesn't much matter -- letting you use it there without charging you to do so is lost revenue to the club. The relevant part is only charging you $75 for a greens fee when you're not going to use one of its carts.

>

> Speaking of the "privilege" of using your cart on their property, they're extending you the privilege of access to and use of anything on their course. And there's a cost to that privilege. It's up to you to decide whether the privilege is worth the price. Now, you're suggesting that you'd rather just pay a higher greens fee that incorporates the price of the pull cart in it already. But why?! Who the heck else wants to pay more for greens fees to cover a service they may or may not use because YOU want to do your own thing?! How is that not "total BS" for everyone else?

>

> You mentioned $75 greens fees. Don't you think that cost is based on something, like what it takes to maintain the course and its services? And don't you think they try to keep that price attractive? If they reduce that price, maybe they won't be able to cover costs. If they raise it too much, maybe they lose members and/or guest play. But if you're willing to justify a higher greens fee that incorporates the pull cart trail fee, then why can't you also justify a lower greens fee and a separate cost for a separate service? What CAN'T be justified from a business sense is just letting people do their own thing without adjusting other costs somewhere.

>

>

They're not extending me the "privilege" of anything ... I'm paying for it. And they have the right to charge anything they want, and I have the right to take my business elsewhere.

Because you SUCK at forecasting - which I'm guessing you do by the way you argue - it's not up to your customer to make up the difference for you. Get better at your job, or lose customers. And quit whining about losing business and wondering why the golf industry is struggling in places.

• Like 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

> @KMeloney said:

> > @macedan said:

> > > @KMeloney said:

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Do you not "get it" or do you just not like it? Everybody obviously knows they are sources of income.

>

> I just don't like it. And apparently not everyone knows about them being sources of income -- or that by taking one you're not spending $30 on a motorized cart, or supporting the caddie program, etc.

Unless your club has a lot of walkers, the fees generated aren't going to be worth the heartache. The pull carts I see you can get em at yard sales cheaper than the rental fees and I'm sure that's where some course got theirs. Plus you're gonna get more drink sales from walkers unless vthey can sneak their own beverages in

• Like 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> > @KMeloney said:

> > > @macedan said:

> > > > @KMeloney said:

> > > > Do you folks really not "get it," or do you just not like it? The pull carts, like the actual carts, are a source of income. That income goes toward any number of things once the cost of the carts' purchase is paid off. If the club can't budget for that revenue, and the members expect that the course and its services are going to be maintained, then the cost of something else has to go up. It's pretty simple.

> > > >

> > > > Go ahead and have more members stop using the pull carts and regular carts. Decide that since you're a member, and you already paid dues, you all should be able to use your own stuff/carry your own bag and not have to pay a trail fee. See what happens to the club's revenue. And see what happens to your dues the following year.

> > > >

> > > > I'm not suggesting that anyone should like it. I don't like it, either. But to not "get it" is being short-sighted (clueless?) about operations, or just not wanting to get it in hopes that maybe it'll go away.

> > >

> > > Do you not "get it" or do you just not like it? Everybody obviously knows they are sources of income.

> >

> > I just don't like it. And apparently not everyone knows about them being sources of income -- or that by taking one you're not spending $30 on a motorized cart, or supporting the caddie program, etc.

>

> Unless your club has a lot of walkers, the fees generated aren't going to be worth the heartache. The pull carts I see you can get em at yard sales cheaper than the rental fees and I'm sure that's where some course got theirs. Plus you're gonna get more drink sales from walkers unless vthey can sneak their own beverages in

I'd say approximately 95% of our members ride, and of the 5% that walk probably 3% of that is those that carry. The pushcarts our club has are old and very very barebones. I actually carried for the longest time because they just were not good lol.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

That's just nuts, here its 3-5 bucks to rent one of their pull carts, free to use your own (of course). That's just a straight up gouge, don't see any reason for it.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

> @kmay__ said:

> That's just nuts, here its 3-5 bucks to rent one of their pull carts, free to use your own (of course). That's just a straight up gouge, don't see any reason for it.

The reason, quite possibly, is a need for more income. The price seems high to me, and a "new" fee is always hard to take, but they're certainly within their rights. What looks like a "money grab" to a customer may be an essential piece of income for the business. Any time you add a charge to one type of user (people with their own trolleys in this case), those users feel like they're unfairly subsidizing the other users. If you raised the buggy fee, those users would complain that it was unfair to them. If you raise greens fees for everyone, and lowered buggy fees, the walkers would feel abused. There's no good way to raise fees, especially if this is in the middle of a season, but sometimes a business has too do it.

• Like 1

> @davep043 said:

> > @kmay__ said:

> > That's just nuts, here its 3-5 bucks to rent one of their pull carts, free to use your own (of course). That's just a straight up gouge, don't see any reason for it.

>

> The reason, quite possibly, is a need for more income. The price seems high to me, and a "new" fee is always hard to take, but they're certainly within their rights. What looks like a "money grab" to a customer may be an essential piece of income for the business. Any time you add a charge to one type of user (people with their own trolleys in this case), those users feel like they're unfairly subsidizing the other users. If you raised the buggy fee, those users would complain that it was unfair to them. If you raise greens fees for everyone, and lowered buggy fees, the walkers would feel abused. There's no good way to raise fees, especially if this is in the middle of a season, but sometimes a business has too do it.

I can understand these reasons, but for me personally, I'd rather them increase the green fee, with an explanation of how the business is in need of the extra revenue than face a seemingly bogus charge for using your own cart. Which is only going to garnish them additional money from those guys showing up with their own pull carts. I cant see the 15 bucks from these guys adding up to an amount that would make a difference in the grand scheme of their operation. What I can see is it turning away a bunch of guys who aren't willing to pay this fee, and instead take their business down the road. Just my view as someone who isn't all that knowledgeable on business practices, but being the stubborn pr*ck I am, I'd be loading my gear back up and heading to the next track where they don't charge me to pull my own sh*t around.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

$15 for your own pull cart? Well to each their own I guess, but maybe you ought to (please don't) put snow chains on your pull cart+a staff bag full of cinder blocks and go the whole day with one brake locked on? At least then you could feel like you were getting your money's worth. At my course (and all the courses I've played in Finland, for that matter) the use of a pull cart (yours, course's, Elvis's, etc.) is free, you just take one at the beginning and bring it back at the end. I would personally take my business elsewhere.

P.S. @macedan edited with response moved to your thread.

> > @KMeloney said:

> > > @tatertot said:

> > > > @KMeloney said:

> > > > Do you folks really not "get it," or do you just not like it? The pull carts, like the actual carts, are a source of income. That income goes toward any number of things once the cost of the carts' purchase is paid off. If the club can't budget for that revenue, and the members expect that the course and its services are going to be maintained, then the cost of something else has to go up. It's pretty simple.

> > > >

> > > > Go ahead and have more members stop using the pull carts and regular carts. Decide that since you're a member, and you already paid dues, you all should be able to use your own stuff/carry your own bag and not have to pay a trail fee. See what happens to the club's revenue. And see what happens to your dues the following year.

> > > >

> > > > I'm not suggesting that anyone should like it. I don't like it, either. But to not "get it" is being short-sighted (clueless?) about operations, or just not wanting to get it in hopes that maybe it'll go away.

> > >

> > > I think you're the one who doesn't "get it" ...

> > >

> > > The course is saying it's a "fee" for using a cart, but it's really a tack on to the greens fee, or a tax. It's a "hidden" fee, and customers don't like that, because it's a way businesses bait and switch customers into coming to their place of business. If I pay $200 for a pull cart that I want to take to any course, why should I pay a course $15 for the privilege of pulling on on their property, when I already paid $75 to play golf? If you want to charge me $90 to play golf, just do that, but don't say your green fee is "only" $75 and then nickel and dime me for "mandatory" charges.

> >

> > Think that all you want. It doesn't bother me.

> >

> > I'm not talking about how a course advertises its prices (and I don't think the OP is either), so the idea that it's a "hidden fee" is moot. The course might also not advertise the fact that you otherwise might have to take a cart or caddie, and what those costs are, but that doesn't make those costs "hidden." It's a fee that they budget for, and when they don't get that fee, then that's lost or foregone revenue. If you think they need a sign out front or a message on its website that states all of the fees and regulations up front, then so be it. It's a different conversation.

> >

> > Let's take your example. You bought your own pull cart. For starters, that doesn't entitle you to take it anywhere, especially not to a course that won't allow it. If a course allows it, but charges you to use it, then it's likely because they already have ones for your use that they've budgeted for, or have electric/gas carts that they can charge more for (and which have much higher maintenance/replacement costs), or have a caddie program that they're trying to maintain by having people actually use them. Whether you paid $200 or $5000 for your pull cart doesn't much matter -- letting you use it there without charging you to do so is lost revenue to the club. The relevant part is only charging you $75 for a greens fee when you're not going to use one of its carts.

> >

> > Speaking of the "privilege" of using your cart on their property, they're extending you the privilege of access to and use of anything on their course. And there's a cost to that privilege. It's up to you to decide whether the privilege is worth the price. Now, you're suggesting that you'd rather just pay a higher greens fee that incorporates the price of the pull cart in it already. But why?! Who the heck else wants to pay more for greens fees to cover a service they may or may not use because YOU want to do your own thing?! How is that not "total BS" for everyone else?

> >

> > You mentioned $75 greens fees. Don't you think that cost is based on something, like what it takes to maintain the course and its services? And don't you think they try to keep that price attractive? If they reduce that price, maybe they won't be able to cover costs. If they raise it too much, maybe they lose members and/or guest play. But if you're willing to justify a higher greens fee that incorporates the pull cart trail fee, then why can't you also justify a lower greens fee and a separate cost for a separate service? What CAN'T be justified from a business sense is just letting people do their own thing without adjusting other costs somewhere.

> >

> >

>

> They're not extending me the "privilege" of anything ... I'm paying for it. And they have the right to charge anything they want, and I have the right to take my business elsewhere.

>

> Because you SUCK at forecasting - which I'm guessing you do by the way you argue - it's not up to your customer to make up the difference for you. Get better at your job, or lose customers. And quit whining about losing business and wondering why the golf industry is struggling in places.

Haha You're arguing, not me. And your guessing is wrong, too.

You summed it up up above with your one relevant point: they have the right to charge anything they want, and [you] have the right to take your business elsewhere. This is my point, too -- except that I'm trying to offer some "why" behind it. So I'm really not sure what you're arguing about, since it appears that you understand how this works.

If the course is worth $15 a round on top of whatever else it has been costing you, then man up and just pay the fee. If it's not worth what it now costs, go elsewhere. You can certainly point out why you're leaving (if you leave) but that sort of thing is seldom going to have any effect.

There's no future in trying to second guess decisions made by the owner of a golf course. Most of them are pretty desperate nowadays and desperation can lead to frankly idiotic choices (which this seems to me). Either these folks don't want your business or they do want your business and think getting $15 a round from some fraction of their customers is going to net them more than peanuts after attrition.

I know how I like to play golf. I walk and I use my push cart (although I'd gladly pay a few bucks to use a push-cart owned by the club and save schlepping mine back and forth). All I care about is how much it costs me to play my 10-12 rounds a month walking and pushing. If the bottom line of dues plus various nickle and dime fees is not supported by the quality of the experience I'll leave. Otherwise, it's not my energy they are wasting by thrashing around with various money-squeezing silliness.

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> What do they charge you for carrying your own bag? Crazy.

I can see it now . . . $10 for cart bags, $5 for Sunday bags . . .

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> If that's the case, it would make more sense to raise green fees a buck or two rather than alienate a specific group.

It's not clear if this is a member-owned club or not. If it's a member-owned club run by the inmates (oops, I mean members) there can be periods of time where one clique is in charge and they do specifically want to alienate other "types" of members.

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> Unless your club has a lot of walkers, the fees generated aren't going to be worth the heartache. The pull carts I see you can get em at yard sales cheaper than the rental fees and I'm sure that's where some course got theirs. Plus you're gonna get more drink sales from walkers unless vthey can sneak their own beverages in

You bring up another great point. It should be no wonder to someone who brings his own beer to a course why a course charges so much for a beer or eventually stops serving beer altogether.

> @davep043 said:

> > @kmay__ said:

> > That's just nuts, here its 3-5 bucks to rent one of their pull carts, free to use your own (of course). That's just a straight up gouge, don't see any reason for it.

>

> The reason, quite possibly, is a need for more income. The price seems high to me, and a "new" fee is always hard to take, but they're certainly within their rights. What looks like a "money grab" to a customer may be an essential piece of income for the business. Any time you add a charge to one type of user (people with their own trolleys in this case), those users feel like they're unfairly subsidizing the other users. If you raised the buggy fee, those users would complain that it was unfair to them. If you raise greens fees for everyone, and lowered buggy fees, the walkers would feel abused. There's no good way to raise fees, especially if this is in the middle of a season, but sometimes a business has too do it.

As you point out, I think it's more about the amount of the fee more so than just the fact that there is a fee to use your own. It's so disproportionate it's bordering on comical. I don't know enough about how much it costs courses to buy/lease their carts since they typically do so in large quantities but I can see that for me to go buy a decent new one is ~$7,000. You're being charged $30 to rent a $7,000 piece of equipment for 4-5 hours compared with paying $15 for the option to use the push cart you own. Even if we were talking about renting a push cart from the course, and they had really nice new Clicgear 3.5 carts you would be talking $15 to rent a $250 piece of equipment compared to the $30 to rent a $7,000 piece of equipment.

I think that is where I would really struggle with it. Now I get it's not a pure % of the cost arguement. Of course, lost cart revenue is one piece and then the fact that there is likely a much higher volume of cart riders vs push cart users is another.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

In defense of the golf course, if everyone were to use their own pull carts, cart revenue which typically goes to the head pro would be Zero. Though most people don't like the idea if you're not using a cart or their pull cart, it's only fair walkers pay a nominal fee to use their own pull-cart, so the Pro still gets a taste.

If the OP wants to sneak around and hope nobody calls him on it, be prepared for the consequences when someone calls you on bad behavior.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @Pepperturbo said:

> In defense of the golf course, if everyone were to use their own pull carts, cart revenue which typically goes to the head pro would be Zero. Though most people don't like the idea if you're not using a cart or their pull cart, it's only fair walkers pay a nominal fee to use their own pull-cart, so the Pro still gets a taste.

I'd be surprised if as many as 1% of the golf courses in the country have the sort of arrangement you describe where the professional runs his own cart-rental business. Maybe in 1950 it was commonplace but it's very rare in 2019.

And any club which sets its prices, fees and policies according to which pot of money gets a "taste" of what is a club that won't be around much longer. Talk about letting the monkeys run the zoo...

• Like 1

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @Pepperturbo said:

> > In defense of the golf course, if everyone were to use their own pull carts, cart revenue which typically goes to the head pro would be Zero. Though most people don't like the idea if you're not using a cart or their pull cart, it's only fair walkers pay a nominal fee to use their own pull-cart, so the Pro still gets a taste.

>

> I'd be surprised if as many as 1% of the golf courses in the country have the sort of arrangement you describe where the professional runs his own cart-rental business. Maybe in 1950 it was commonplace but it's very rare in 2019.

>

> And any club which sets its prices, fees and policies according to which pot of money gets a "taste" of what is a club that won't be around much longer. Talk about letting the monkeys run the zoo...

Don't assume. Be surprised. A great many nicer courses (I don't mean only high end) have programs where cart fees or a percentage goes to the pro. Some courses PGA Pros divide cart revenue up amongst his staff. That's the only way to get around increasing Club payroll costs. Many club pros today are paid very well too.

Have you ever run a high revenue business? PGA golfers are NOT monkey's running a zoo. Head Pro's run a merchandising/retail business, where some are more profitable than others. Some courses even contract the Pro shop and cart business out to the Head Pro and he pays the Course a percentage of total revenue.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

The course has every right to charge any fee they want (so long as it's legal). With that said, I'd be heading back to my truck and on my way elsewhere, which is also my right. They have theirs, I have mine.

My problem with it is, where does it end? An added fee for playing the tips?...it costs more money for extra tee boxes ya know. A fee for using my own divot repair tool?...they're sold in the shop! Speaking of sold in the shop....the pro shop doesn't have anything other than an Adidas account, so unless you're wearing Adidas, that polo and those golf cleats you're wearing might cost ya extra!

> @"Big A HG" said:

> The course has every right to charge any fee they want (so long as it's legal). With that said, I'd be heading back to my truck and on my way elsewhere, which is also my right. They have theirs, I have mine.

>

> My problem with it is, where does it end? An added fee for playing the tips?...it costs more money for extra tee boxes ya know. A fee for using my own divot repair tool?...they're sold in the shop! Speaking of sold in the shop....the pro shop doesn't have anything other than an Adidas account, so unless you're wearing Adidas, that polo and those golf cleats you're wearing might cost ya extra!

Parking meters.

• Like 1

> @jacob7071 said:

> OP, is it possible they misunderstood you when you said you're using a push cart? Perhaps they thought you were using one that belongs to the club. Next time you go, just say you're walking, and don't mention the push cart. I have never been charged to use my own push cart anywhere, and it wouldn't be unreasonable for you to assume you can use your own for free.

I doubt the OP misunderstood. It's rare, but I've seen it.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0