2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

One length irons stunting development

rbark11

This is probably a stupid question, but will playing with one length irons stunt my development as a golfer? I just started last year, however I switched to one lengths about 7 months ago. I’m not completely sold on them, and I eventually want to get fitted for irons once my swing is a lot better.

Has anyone played one lengths for a while then switched back to a normal set of irons? Would this be an issue down the road if I want to use regular irons?

You'll be fine.

It's just like any other equipment change. It takes time to get used to it. Going from single length to variable length is a bit of a bigger change, but there's nothing that will block you from doing it.

As a beginning golfer, you should, in theory, benefit from SL clubs. When people switch back from them, it's generally because they've played VL clubs their whole life, and just can't get used to the SL clubs, especially the long irons. They just look/feel too weird after years of having different looks from different lofted/length clubs. As a new golfer, you don't have that inherit bias toward VL.

In the end, it may turn out that SL clubs are not for you, and that VL will suit you better. Or it may turn out that you started with the right clubs out of the gate by going straight to SL. But there's absolutely nothing blocking you from trying something different down the line. It's just another equipment change that you'll need to get used to.

No, it will not.

Both my father and I are currently playing Cobra One Length irons after decades of playing variable length irons. It took both of us maybe a few rounds to feel comfortable with the switch. This weekend I played a round with my old irons, and it was different but not a big deal.

My opinions is that there are pros and cons with each approach, but I don't think picking one will make any particular negative impact on your ability to later switch to the other.

If you're trying to learn the game from scratch, you've got to decide if being The Guy With One-Length Clubs is something you want to do to prove a point or whether you want to just get on with figuring out how to hit the ball to the hole. The one-length thing for a beginner means either sticking with it for the rest of your golfing life or, if you abandon it, having to make a fairly significant adjustment in your swing some time after you've finally got the basics under your belt.

I think it's a thing more attractive for someone who is bored with all the conventional stuff about golf and looking for some novelty. But if you're convinced it's a fundamentally better way to play than how it's been done over the past century give it a shot. It's not like starting out lefty and switching to righty or trying to play golf with a hockey stick.

I would think from an engineering standpoint one length would benefit those new to golf quicker than a variable length set. The reason being that with a one length there are just fewer variables such as ball position and distance from ball of your stance since the low point of all the iron should be the same.

• Like 1

> @rbark11 said:

>Has anyone played one lengths for a while then switched back to a normal set of irons?

Judging from the comments on the forum over the last couple of years, I'd estimate that 90% of the players who tried one length irons went back to normal sets. I'm one of the few who have stuck with it. In fact, I'm the only guy I know who plays single length. There are a couple of guys who post here who have stuck with it, but very few.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @rbark11 said:

> >Has anyone played one lengths for a while then switched back to a normal set of irons?

> Judging from the comments on the forum over the last couple of years, I'd estimate that 90% of the players who tried one length irons went back to normal sets. I'm one of the few who have stuck with it. In fact, I'm the only guy I know who plays single length. There are a couple of guys who post here who have stuck with it, but very few.

That's been my observation too. Which is why I think it's an interesting thing for an experienced golfer to try if he's looking for someone new and different. But seems like the odds say a beginner who goes One Length is very likely to end up switching to conventional after a while. Which may be tricky.

I am still playing one length. I really do not see myself going back to variable length unless they stop making them.. I think there is a lot of room for the design and think that as more perfect the hollow body irons tech it should offer some pluses to one length.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @rbark11 said:

> >Has anyone played one lengths for a while then switched back to a normal set of irons?

> Judging from the comments on the forum over the last couple of years, I'd estimate that 90% of the players who tried one length irons went back to normal sets. I'm one of the few who have stuck with it. In fact, I'm the only guy I know who plays single length. There are a couple of guys who post here who have stuck with it, but very few.

Would likely be because most started with 'conventional' and were looking for an instant fix. Starting out as a new player wouldn't have a lot of the same built in things.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

I’ve played both. Right now I am back to VL clubs ( Wishon 560 irons). Find VL gives me more shot making options. With uneven lies, especially with the ball above or below foot level, the shot seems easier with a more upright or flatter lie, rather than trying to manipulate a shot from clubs with only a single length/lie. VL = more shot possibilities.

You will be fine. I can’t imagine it having much of an impact long term, other than you will like be uncomfortable with longer irons if you ever make the switch. They can easily be replaced by woods or hybrids and most newer players struggle with longer irons as is.

Have fun playing the game.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I just rebuilt a set of Mizuno's with a 1/4 inch progression through the set. Have played golf a long time, but realized that I was having issues staying down in my short irons over the past few seasons (too much time sitting in front of computer with bad posture). One length seems too extreme for me mainly in the long irons so decided to split the difference between the two. Going to take it to the course tomorrow but has looked promising on the range especially with the 8,9,PW.

• Like 1

> @"Adam C" said:

> I just rebuilt a set of Mizuno's with a 1/4 inch progression through the set. Have played golf a long time, but realized that I was having issues staying down in my short irons over the past few seasons (too much time sitting in front of computer with bad posture). One length seems too extreme for me mainly in the long irons so decided to split the difference between the two. Going to take it to the course tomorrow but has looked promising on the range especially with the 8,9,PW.

To the Op...this may be what you want to transfer to if you decide to switch. There is nothing wrong with SL...I see its value and it makes sense for a lot of players. I think if there were more options it would be more popular. I think going to 3/8” gaps based on the 7 iron that you are accustomed to length wise might be a good switch. 1/4” maybe if you really like the short irons longer.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

I played Cobra ftbo for a year. Shot my best scores ever. Our club switched to Mizuno exclusively, so I had my first real fitting. I switched to the 919 forged, and had to sell the Cobras to fund the mizunos. Really wished i hadn't. I really liked the Cobras. The shafts in the mizunos are better suited for me, but had i put the same shafts in the Cobras, I'd prob been better off. At some point I'll prob do it and go back to one lengths. I was perusing eBay yesterday actually.

> @gwelfgulfer said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > > @rbark11 said:

> > >Has anyone played one lengths for a while then switched back to a normal set of irons?

> > Judging from the comments on the forum over the last couple of years, I'd estimate that 90% of the players who tried one length irons went back to normal sets. I'm one of the few who have stuck with it. In fact, I'm the only guy I know who plays single length. There are a couple of guys who post here who have stuck with it, but very few.

>

> Would likely be because most started with 'conventional' and were looking for an instant fix. Starting out as a new player wouldn't have a lot of the same built in things.

>

Ding-ding-ding. Number one answer on the board!

Most of the people who switch back do so because they just couldn't get used to the difference in the single length clubs after playing VL their whole lives.

The problem as I see it for a golf newcomer is by choosing Single Length you're basically opting into a niche community that does things different than the other 99.9% of the golf world. Which is cool if you like being different. Or if you're convinced that for whatever reason Single Length is a better mousetrap.

But it means you need different clubs than usual. So no trying other people's clubs, no buying used off eBay, no shopping in big box stores. And it means you setup and swing differently. Nothing that a competent swing coach can't work with but the Single Length setup and swing definitely has implications that trickle down into instruction and practice.

So I would not recommend to to a near-beginner as just a "what the heck, give it a try". If you feel it's worth committing to, great. If it's just a cool idea you're wondering about, probably the safest thing to is to leave it for later. It'll either be a fad that's gone in five years (in which case you'll be glad you avoided it) or it will be the Next Big Thing and you can switch to it later.

From what I've seen, One Length can work but it requires crazy amounts of tweaking to get right and you probably need to be a really solid striker of the ball in order to be able to tweak the lofts the right amount to get gapping the way you need, at which point.. you're probably good enough to just play a normal variable length set.

Interesting topic. I'm almost afraid to go back to variable length. I've been playing well enough to not have a desire to go back right now. I occasionally hit a few VL long irons at the range and it usually only takes a swing or two for it to feel normal, but I'd feel very uncomfortable if I had to hit a VL 4 iron from any type of non-standard stance/lie.

Since I tinker with club-building, I don't really see any reason I would ever be forced to go back to VL. I'd bet that there will always be a component maker who offers a couple of SL designs, even if Cobra eventually stops offering them. There is something to be said for being able to be much more easily fit to VL's, and having them more widely available to demo. Also, I don't even consider renting clubs when I'm traveling. But the club ho in me is thankful that my SL irons have kept me from chasing the latest shiny new toys every year. For the first time as a golfer, my clubs are a known-constant. The only remaining variable is my swing (it always was, but with VL's I could more easily blame/change the clubs).

As far as stunting growth, I doubt it. The one-lengths will give you way more practice grooving a solid mid-iron swing (theoretically you're hitting 7 times as many 7 irons during your rounds, from a variety of positions/situations). I can't imagine that being a bad thing for your long-term development.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Singe length irons is okay for some of the golfers but, it is not a cure all for the golf swing.

Even a golfer believes the single length irons would help his game, there are still other clubs in the bag with different length.

Personally, I have friends whom ventured into this marketing scheme when the concept became a reality some years ago. Most of them went back to the traditional set up.

If you're a brand new golfer and have less than a year of golfing experience, then you could have gone either way.

However, once you started the journey, stay with the system until you have a clue of what's going on with the game before considering switching.

There are lots of used sets of one length iron sets for sale out there for cheap. I can see this system stay for awhile but not seeing it taking over the traditional concept.

It's difficult for someone whom has been playing the game for decades to switch over to the one length irons. It is not worth the change over since it could not deliver what it promised.

Get a reputable certified couching on your golf swing. A good golfer could swing any set of golf club with certain degree of efficiency, because he knows the basic of golf swing. While there is no magic bullet to have a brand new golfer jump on the wagon instantly becomes a good golfer.

The cham of this game is the reward one gets out of the effort he puts into the game, until, he reached his personal limit .

> @caniac6 said:

> > @GSDriver said:

> > Only person I know who has tried single length and actually kept them is Bryson.

>

> He seems to be doing pretty well with them.

Yup, the one guy

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I went from VL to SL in 2017 and ended up winning league championship. Had a hard time with SL 5i. Wondered if just a band aid for swing issues, so worked on swing over winter and rtn'd to VL in 2018. Played ok in 2018 w/ VL, but long irons still a question. Added 4h and 5h in 2019. Main problem this year has been from 100 yds in. Pulled the SL out of the basement two days ago and shot my lowest score of the year . Keeping VL SW in bag as I don't use if for full swing shots, just bunker and finese shots around the green. It is not how, but how many. If you are hitting the ball straight with the SL, don't see a reason to change now. You are playing Edel's and if your gapping is good, why mess up a good thing.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

> @"North Butte" said:

> The problem as I see it for a golf newcomer is by choosing Single Length you're basically opting into a niche community that does things different than the other 99.9% of the golf world. Which is cool if you like being different. Or if you're convinced that for whatever reason Single Length is a better mousetrap.

>

> But it means you need different clubs than usual. So no trying other people's clubs, no buying used off eBay, no shopping in big box stores. And it means you setup and swing differently. Nothing that a competent swing coach can't work with but the Single Length setup and swing definitely has implications that trickle down into instruction and practice.

>

> So I would not recommend to to a near-beginner as just a "what the heck, give it a try". If you feel it's worth committing to, great. If it's just a cool idea you're wondering about, probably the safest thing to is to leave it for later. It'll either be a fad that's gone in five years (in which case you'll be glad you avoided it) or it will be the Next Big Thing and you can switch to it later.

Your biases are showing, North. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors