2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

J. Speith__full swing yips

juliette91

There's just no other explanation for off the planet drives or occasional fairway iron shots, more double bogeys than pretty much any other player on tour. Check out David Duval's scorecards as his driving yips escalated. Most oddly, Ian Baker Finch's comments about Speith's performance failed to mention the driving yips and he of all people should be the resident expert. That's why he's not playing. Is it just taboo to say? Maybe, but it's more misleading methinks to attribute Jordan's decline to some swing mechanics. Fwiw, I quit the game for many years because of it and unfortunately it really does take one to know one.

he has always had funky mechanics with that chicken wing but I agree .. putting yip and also full swing yips at times

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @mjen43 said:

> He doesn't have anything remotely resembling the driving yips. Stephen Bowditch has the driving yips, Spieth is just below average. If he had the driving yips he wouldn't make a cut.

You mean like last week where he shot the worst round of the tournament on Saturday and missed the secondary cut? He has a huge full swing issue, the number of doubles and triples he has been carding recently is terrible

> @Krt22 said:

> > @mjen43 said:

> > He doesn't have anything remotely resembling the driving yips. Stephen Bowditch has the driving yips, Spieth is just below average. If he had the driving yips he wouldn't make a cut.

> You mean like last week where he shot the worst round of the tournament on Saturday and missed the secondary cut? He has a huge full swing issue, the number of doubles and triples he has been carding recently is terrible

>

The yips are a neurological condition that manifests itself physically. They will make a #1 OWGR caliber player look like a 30 handicap.

There is a major difference between a huge full swing issue and the yips. Spieth is averaging -.392 SG:Tee-to-Green. I'm sorry but nobody on planet Earth is capable of a slightly below average Tour level Tee to Green game while having the real, actual yips. He has a swing issue, not the yips. One drive off the planet per round is not even close to enough to be talking about yips.

> @mjen43 said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @mjen43 said:

> > > He doesn't have anything remotely resembling the driving yips. Stephen Bowditch has the driving yips, Spieth is just below average. If he had the driving yips he wouldn't make a cut.

> > You mean like last week where he shot the worst round of the tournament on Saturday and missed the secondary cut? He has a huge full swing issue, the number of doubles and triples he has been carding recently is terrible

> >

>

> The yips are a neurological condition that manifests itself physically. They will make a #1 OWGR caliber player look like a 30 handicap.

>

> There is a major difference between a huge full swing issue and the yips. Spieth is averaging -.392 SG:Tee-to-Green. I'm sorry but nobody on planet Earth is capable of a slightly below average Tour level Tee to Green game while having the real, actual yips. He has a swing issue, not the yips. One drive off the planet per round is not even close to enough to be talking about yips.

Agree not the yips at all. It’s that stupid flat swing where he sucks it inside and then tries to shut he face coming through.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Krt22 said:

> Semantics. When you go from multi major winner to 184th in SG off the tee, it's the yips that manifest themselves in legit full swing issues. He even stated after missing the secondary cut "I don't know what's going on"

It's not semantics. The yips are a real thing. If he had the yips he wouldn't be 184th in SG off the tee, he would be 100,000th. If he had the yips it would also be near impossible for him to return to form as there is no known treatment. He doesn't have the yips, he has a correctable swing problem.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @mjen43 said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > He doesn't have anything remotely resembling the driving yips. Stephen Bowditch has the driving yips, Spieth is just below average. If he had the driving yips he wouldn't make a cut.

> > > You mean like last week where he shot the worst round of the tournament on Saturday and missed the secondary cut? He has a huge full swing issue, the number of doubles and triples he has been carding recently is terrible

> > >

> >

> > The yips are a neurological condition that manifests itself physically. They will make a #1 OWGR caliber player look like a 30 handicap.

> >

> > There is a major difference between a huge full swing issue and the yips. Spieth is averaging -.392 SG:Tee-to-Green. I'm sorry but nobody on planet Earth is capable of a slightly below average Tour level Tee to Green game while having the real, actual yips. He has a swing issue, not the yips. One drive off the planet per round is not even close to enough to be talking about yips.

>

> Agree not the yips at all. It’s that stupid flat swing where he sucks it inside and then tries to shut he face coming through.

Just needs to bring back the chicken wing and hit weak slices

> @KRAMER1997 said:

> His swing is very timing based and when the timing is off he's all over.

all golf swings are based on timing IMO

he lost his confidence and is scared as shit he will never get it back. Hard to relax and swing fearlessly when you don't trust it.

• Like 1

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

> @Krt22 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > > He doesn't have anything remotely resembling the driving yips. Stephen Bowditch has the driving yips, Spieth is just below average. If he had the driving yips he wouldn't make a cut.

> > > > You mean like last week where he shot the worst round of the tournament on Saturday and missed the secondary cut? He has a huge full swing issue, the number of doubles and triples he has been carding recently is terrible

> > > >

> > >

> > > The yips are a neurological condition that manifests itself physically. They will make a #1 OWGR caliber player look like a 30 handicap.

> > >

> > > There is a major difference between a huge full swing issue and the yips. Spieth is averaging -.392 SG:Tee-to-Green. I'm sorry but nobody on planet Earth is capable of a slightly below average Tour level Tee to Green game while having the real, actual yips. He has a swing issue, not the yips. One drive off the planet per round is not even close to enough to be talking about yips.

> >

> > Agree not the yips at all. It’s that stupid flat swing where he sucks it inside and then tries to shut he face coming through.

>

> Just needs to bring back the chicken wing and hit weak slices

He’s never. Been weak . Always averaged 290 plus. And he played a draw a lot.

Holding the face square as long pre and post impact as he did wasn’t weak. His iron stats pre swing change are rivaled by few.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

He’s searching and he’s lost his mental edge. If he gets that mental edge back, he’s got a chance. He’s done if he can’t get that back.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

he had a Moe Norman stance going at Portrush

EvnRoll ER9

he needs Butch

EvnRoll ER9

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > > > He doesn't have anything remotely resembling the driving yips. Stephen Bowditch has the driving yips, Spieth is just below average. If he had the driving yips he wouldn't make a cut.

> > > > > You mean like last week where he shot the worst round of the tournament on Saturday and missed the secondary cut? He has a huge full swing issue, the number of doubles and triples he has been carding recently is terrible

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > The yips are a neurological condition that manifests itself physically. They will make a #1 OWGR caliber player look like a 30 handicap.

> > > >

> > > > There is a major difference between a huge full swing issue and the yips. Spieth is averaging -.392 SG:Tee-to-Green. I'm sorry but nobody on planet Earth is capable of a slightly below average Tour level Tee to Green game while having the real, actual yips. He has a swing issue, not the yips. One drive off the planet per round is not even close to enough to be talking about yips.

> > >

> > > Agree not the yips at all. It’s that stupid flat swing where he sucks it inside and then tries to shut he face coming through.

> >

> > Just needs to bring back the chicken wing and hit weak slices

>

> He’s never. Been weak . Always averaged 290 plus. And he played a draw a lot.

>

> Holding the face square as long pre and post impact as he did wasn’t weak. His iron stats pre swing change are rivaled by few.

No no no, it's just his putting.

> @Krt22 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > > > > He doesn't have anything remotely resembling the driving yips. Stephen Bowditch has the driving yips, Spieth is just below average. If he had the driving yips he wouldn't make a cut.

> > > > > > You mean like last week where he shot the worst round of the tournament on Saturday and missed the secondary cut? He has a huge full swing issue, the number of doubles and triples he has been carding recently is terrible

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > The yips are a neurological condition that manifests itself physically. They will make a #1 OWGR caliber player look like a 30 handicap.

> > > > >

> > > > > There is a major difference between a huge full swing issue and the yips. Spieth is averaging -.392 SG:Tee-to-Green. I'm sorry but nobody on planet Earth is capable of a slightly below average Tour level Tee to Green game while having the real, actual yips. He has a swing issue, not the yips. One drive off the planet per round is not even close to enough to be talking about yips.

> > > >

> > > > Agree not the yips at all. It’s that stupid flat swing where he sucks it inside and then tries to shut he face coming through.

> > >

> > > Just needs to bring back the chicken wing and hit weak slices

> >

> > He’s never. Been weak . Always averaged 290 plus. And he played a draw a lot.

> >

> > Holding the face square as long pre and post impact as he did wasn’t weak. His iron stats pre swing change are rivaled by few.

>

> No no no, it's just his putting.

Huh ? Now or then

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > > > > > He doesn't have anything remotely resembling the driving yips. Stephen Bowditch has the driving yips, Spieth is just below average. If he had the driving yips he wouldn't make a cut.

> > > > > > > You mean like last week where he shot the worst round of the tournament on Saturday and missed the secondary cut? He has a huge full swing issue, the number of doubles and triples he has been carding recently is terrible

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The yips are a neurological condition that manifests itself physically. They will make a #1 OWGR caliber player look like a 30 handicap.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > There is a major difference between a huge full swing issue and the yips. Spieth is averaging -.392 SG:Tee-to-Green. I'm sorry but nobody on planet Earth is capable of a slightly below average Tour level Tee to Green game while having the real, actual yips. He has a swing issue, not the yips. One drive off the planet per round is not even close to enough to be talking about yips.

> > > > >

> > > > > Agree not the yips at all. It’s that stupid flat swing where he sucks it inside and then tries to shut he face coming through.

> > > >

> > > > Just needs to bring back the chicken wing and hit weak slices

> > >

> > > He’s never. Been weak . Always averaged 290 plus. And he played a draw a lot.

> > >

> > > Holding the face square as long pre and post impact as he did wasn’t weak. His iron stats pre swing change are rivaled by few.

> >

> > No no no, it's just his putting.

>

> Huh ? Now or then

I'm being facetious, I agree, his full swing has gone to high hell.

> @Krt22 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > > He doesn't have anything remotely resembling the driving yips. Stephen Bowditch has the driving yips, Spieth is just below average. If he had the driving yips he wouldn't make a cut.

> > > > You mean like last week where he shot the worst round of the tournament on Saturday and missed the secondary cut? He has a huge full swing issue, the number of doubles and triples he has been carding recently is terrible

> > > >

> > >

> > > The yips are a neurological condition that manifests itself physically. They will make a #1 OWGR caliber player look like a 30 handicap.

> > >

> > > There is a major difference between a huge full swing issue and the yips. Spieth is averaging -.392 SG:Tee-to-Green. I'm sorry but nobody on planet Earth is capable of a slightly below average Tour level Tee to Green game while having the real, actual yips. He has a swing issue, not the yips. One drive off the planet per round is not even close to enough to be talking about yips.

> >

> > Agree not the yips at all. It’s that stupid flat swing where he sucks it inside and then tries to shut he face coming through.

>

> Just needs to bring back the chicken wing and hit weak slices

He didnt hit weak slices.

> @Krt22 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > > > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > > > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > > > > > > He doesn't have anything remotely resembling the driving yips. Stephen Bowditch has the driving yips, Spieth is just below average. If he had the driving yips he wouldn't make a cut.

> > > > > > > > You mean like last week where he shot the worst round of the tournament on Saturday and missed the secondary cut? He has a huge full swing issue, the number of doubles and triples he has been carding recently is terrible

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The yips are a neurological condition that manifests itself physically. They will make a #1 OWGR caliber player look like a 30 handicap.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > There is a major difference between a huge full swing issue and the yips. Spieth is averaging -.392 SG:Tee-to-Green. I'm sorry but nobody on planet Earth is capable of a slightly below average Tour level Tee to Green game while having the real, actual yips. He has a swing issue, not the yips. One drive off the planet per round is not even close to enough to be talking about yips.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Agree not the yips at all. It’s that stupid flat swing where he sucks it inside and then tries to shut he face coming through.

> > > > >

> > > > > Just needs to bring back the chicken wing and hit weak slices

> > > >

> > > > He’s never. Been weak . Always averaged 290 plus. And he played a draw a lot.

> > > >

> > > > Holding the face square as long pre and post impact as he did wasn’t weak. His iron stats pre swing change are rivaled by few.

> > >

> > > No no no, it's just his putting.

> >

> > Huh ? Now or then

>

> I'm being facetious, I agree, his full swing has gone to high ****.

I’m way too tired to follow that depth of onomatopoeia....lol

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Krt22 said:

> Semantics. When you go from multi major winner to 184th in SG off the tee, it's the yips that manifest themselves in legit full swing issues. He even stated after missing the secondary cut "I don't know what's going on"

Wasn't he making some swing changes with his coach? (and yes, why do pros continue to do this these days. has no one heard of, if it ain't broke...)

> @bladehunter said:

> > @mjen43 said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > @mjen43 said:

> > > > He doesn't have anything remotely resembling the driving yips. Stephen Bowditch has the driving yips, Spieth is just below average. If he had the driving yips he wouldn't make a cut.

> > > You mean like last week where he shot the worst round of the tournament on Saturday and missed the secondary cut? He has a huge full swing issue, the number of doubles and triples he has been carding recently is terrible

> > >

> >

> > The yips are a neurological condition that manifests itself physically. They will make a #1 OWGR caliber player look like a 30 handicap.

> >

> > There is a major difference between a huge full swing issue and the yips. Spieth is averaging -.392 SG:Tee-to-Green. I'm sorry but nobody on planet Earth is capable of a slightly below average Tour level Tee to Green game while having the real, actual yips. He has a swing issue, not the yips. One drive off the planet per round is not even close to enough to be talking about yips.

>

> Agree not the yips at all. It’s that stupid flat swing where he sucks it inside and then tries to shut he face coming through.

You just described my swing :-(

Wish I could yip it like him :-)

> @"North Texas" said:

> I have played with someone who had real putting yips and I have played with someone who has real chipping yips. Jordan does not have the yips in any part of his game. Not even close.

Yep. The guy is averaging -.482 SG off the tee. That is essentially two penalty shots off the tee per tournament that the average tour player is not hitting into. Over the course of 72 holes (and about 56 tee shots), his driving is going to look virtually identical to the average pro save for one or two extra foul balls (the average tour pro is also hitting occasional foul balls over a 4 day event). If he had the swing yips, he would be coming in DFL every single event. He has an extremely small and virtually imperceptable issue in his swing that manifests itself about once every 30 swings. It is most certainly not the yips.

> @chigolfer1 said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > Semantics. When you go from multi major winner to 184th in SG off the tee, it's the yips that manifest themselves in legit full swing issues. He even stated after missing the secondary cut "I don't know what's going on"

>

> Wasn't he making some swing changes with his coach? (and yes, why do pros continue to do this these days. has no one heard of, if it ain't broke...)

There's so much history of players chasing distance and destroying their game that you think they would learn.