Is there a limit to how good someone can get at golf?

Jerkeejoe

In addition to ddetts, now we can all follow grantc79's attempt (https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1778247/my-paper-tiger-journey-1-year-full-time-golfer-job-starts-monday-7-1-19/p1). He claims to have started at an index of 7.9 and pretty much quit his job to spend a year getting to scratch.

Where's the guy from the "Dan Plan" these days? I think he got injured and gave up (http://www.golfwrx.com/437894/what-happened-to-the-dan-plan/).

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @Jerkeejoe said:

> > My question is whether it is reasonable to expect to get down to scratch in the next year or so.

> This forum has actual data on this question. How many 'blog' threads have we seen over the years where someone vows to take lessons and practice day/night in order to get to scratch? They carry us along for the ride, sharing lesson tips, practice experience, equipment changes and scoring results. Some even share their travels to one teacher or another as well as their meals.

>

> Have any of them succeeded in getting to scratch?

See the progress threads from Schnee, drewtaylor & Qmany. Not sure how long it took them.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

> @"Ghost of Snead" said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > > @Jerkeejoe said:

> > > My question is whether it is reasonable to expect to get down to scratch in the next year or so.

> > This forum has actual data on this question. How many 'blog' threads have we seen over the years where someone vows to take lessons and practice day/night in order to get to scratch? They carry us along for the ride, sharing lesson tips, practice experience, equipment changes and scoring results. Some even share their travels to one teacher or another as well as their meals.

> >

> > Have any of them succeeded in getting to scratch?

> See the progress threads from Schnee, drewtaylor & Qmany. Not sure how long it took them.

>

Schnee posts some low rounds, but I don't think he's a legitimate scratch. I don't know; maybe I'm wrong. He certainly has no shortage of enthusiasm. I don't remember drewtaylor or Qmany, and I don't know how to search for them. There's also Dave D, ddetts and ebrasmus, among others, who are still working at it. Grantc79 just got started, so he's got another 11 months.

Personally, I began my immersion in 1990, but I didn't blog it. If I did, it would be a million pages by now.

• Like 1

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @"Ghost of Snead" said:

> > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > @Jerkeejoe said:

> > > > My question is whether it is reasonable to expect to get down to scratch in the next year or so.

> > > This forum has actual data on this question. How many 'blog' threads have we seen over the years where someone vows to take lessons and practice day/night in order to get to scratch? They carry us along for the ride, sharing lesson tips, practice experience, equipment changes and scoring results. Some even share their travels to one teacher or another as well as their meals.

> > >

> > > Have any of them succeeded in getting to scratch?

> > See the progress threads from Schnee, drewtaylor & Qmany. Not sure how long it took them.

> >

> Schnee posts some low rounds, but I don't think he's a legitimate scratch. I don't know; maybe I'm wrong. He certainly has no shortage of enthusiasm. I don't remember drewtaylor or Qmany, and I don't know how to search for them. There's also Dave D, ddetts and ebrasmus, among others, who are still working at it. Grantc79 just got started, so he's got another 11 months.

>

> Personally, I began my immersion in 1990, but I didn't blog it. If I did, it would be a million pages by now.

You are wrong, Schnee got to + territory at one point prior to shattering his wrist.

> @Krt22 said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > > @"Ghost of Snead" said:

> > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > @Jerkeejoe said:

> > > > > My question is whether it is reasonable to expect to get down to scratch in the next year or so.

> > > > This forum has actual data on this question. How many 'blog' threads have we seen over the years where someone vows to take lessons and practice day/night in order to get to scratch? They carry us along for the ride, sharing lesson tips, practice experience, equipment changes and scoring results. Some even share their travels to one teacher or another as well as their meals.

> > > >

> > > > Have any of them succeeded in getting to scratch?

> > > See the progress threads from Schnee, drewtaylor & Qmany. Not sure how long it took them.

> > >

> > Schnee posts some low rounds, but I don't think he's a legitimate scratch. I don't know; maybe I'm wrong. He certainly has no shortage of enthusiasm. I don't remember drewtaylor or Qmany, and I don't know how to search for them. There's also Dave D, ddetts and ebrasmus, among others, who are still working at it. Grantc79 just got started, so he's got another 11 months.

> >

> > Personally, I began my immersion in 1990, but I didn't blog it. If I did, it would be a million pages by now.

>

> You are wrong, Schnee got to + territory at one point prior to shattering his wrist.

I stand corrected. I must have missed that development.

@Jerkeejoe said:

> Thanks for the responses.

>

> Some more info:

>

> Swing speed is around 105. Shot an 80 on Sunday (39-41) and that’s the first time I’ve been out of the 70s (or worse than 30s on 9) in a while. My short game is good but not great. I missed a few makable putts on Sunday that I’d ordinarily make, so I wasn’t too frustrated with the score.

>

> Talked to instructor today about how I could best improve my scoring. He told me if I learn better course management and to be smarter with shot selection I can pick up a couple of strokes very easily on those things alone. I readily admit that I’m a go for the green type of player and that it gets me into trouble at times. He’s confident I can be at a 5 by the end of the year.

>

> The responses here are interesting. I’m curious to see how it works out for me. I’m dedicated to putting in the time and effort.

Just some responses based on your post,

I am about 105mph SS driver. I play most course between 5900-6200 average (short courses) this is mostly from whites (sea level if that means anything) Most approach shots are 8iron or less and 50/50 reachable in 2 par 5's

That being said had ups and downs in my game. went through the normal progression period and finally hit the wall The wall was I can have 70's and 90's in the same month no sense of consistency.

I also went through the so called "course" management, but here is the thing with that. Taking out the driver on short Par4 because I spray did not solve the issue of spraying to begin with. The spray is less with a 4iron but that just masked the flaw that existed.

OK so fast forward once again I have/had a major flaw in my swing period. The fact is I could play a good round and shoot low, but could not do that with consistency and blow up the next round more so I was highly prone to choking, when stress builds up, could not hold it together due to my flawed swing

I can putt with some sort of consistency. Hardly ever over 36 putts per round, average about 32 and good days 30-28ish.

MY point being I reached a plateau that was built around a flawed swing. Either I did the best I could with what I had, or I had to rebuild and start all over but with the experience and knowledge I have currently.

So now my scoring average is changing again. MY confidence is changing again and more so consistency is creeping it. Does that means scratch NO, but it means I hit a plateau addressed it made changes and moved forward. If scratch is a goal and surely would love to be there too. I need to address the flaws and more so the fundemental flaws to even assume that scratch is in the cards if not... its just band-aids on flaws that will ultimately limit you completely

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I think one point that hasn't necessarily being mentioned, is that it's probably largely dependent on what your weaknesses are. In other words, what part(s) of your game is keeping you at a ~9-10 handicap. If it's course management and you make a lot of mistakes in terms of penalty strokes, short sided misses being too aggressive, etc but your swing is pretty solid I would agree it would be easy to knock a few strokes off with just a different approach to your play. Also, if it's your short game or putting that stinks I'd argue that is usually easier to get better at in a shorter period than full swing work.

In my case, it's my full swing that is my biggest crutch. I'm in consistent and misses can be all 4 directions (left, right, long and/or short) when I get stuck between good swing changes and old bad swing reversions. I don't hit many greens at the moment and thus am scrambling a lot. I'm probably a 12 cap with my full swing and a 2 cap with my short game, blending them gets me to my current 6.6.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @Jerkeejoe said:

> Just to clarify, I’m currently a mid 7 handicap, not 9-10.

>

> Still appreciate the comments. The one about me not being dedicated because I won’t play more often in 112* heat made me laugh though. ?

I played a few weeks ago in what was 95* and about 90% humidity - the "real feel" was around 110* according to my weather app. I walked 18 that day, never sweated and drank so much water in my life. Not sure it was the best decision ever but I did shoot a 79.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I did online lessons and got down to a 7 and I think that’s about as far as I could have gotten. I went to see Dan Carraher in person and spent two half days with him. Worked all winter to ingrain the new move by hitting into a net with a SkyTrak. Every revision my handicap has dropped this year and I’m at a 3.5 currently. Scratch would be tough and I am just not sure I want to put in the time I think it will take to maintain that. Without seeing someone like Dan in person I say you have zero chance. If I lived close to him I think I could get to scratch next year if I wanted to put in the time.

Op it’s a lot of work and you have to be willing to sacrifice a lot in order to get there. I can also tell you that you will always want more so get to a place you can just enjoy the game and run with it

• Like 1

I believe people plateau based on talent level in general.How can you think an instructor can work miracles in an untalented student? He can only work with what the students max potential is.I've formed my opinion from pure experience the last 20 years.I've gotten lessons with a handful of instructors,worked at what they gave me,blah blah.

Somebody mentioned Schnee up there.Well,there is a guy that posts here named Heath who sees Dan and Gankas regularly.Him and Schnee are not exactly what you would call the poster children of athleticism.I mean to say they are by no means skinny and lean.But both of them have talent and their instructors have taken advantage of that talent and maximized their potentials.I believe Heath is a +3 now and Schnee is easily scratch and at one point like +4.

You can't underestimate the natural talent aspect of learning.

> @Jerkeejoe said:

>

> Still appreciate the comments. The one about me not being dedicated because I won’t play more often in 112* heat made me laugh though. ?

How old are you and what other commitments do you have going on in life (i.e. work, wife, family, hobbies, etc.)?

As I said before, if you can prioritize golf as the #1 thing in your life you can go as far as you want (in theory).

But if golf isn't the #1 thing you'll just hover where you're at. I love guitar but as a "scratch" guitarist I know I'm never giving that hobby up. So while I could prioritize golf higher, it's never going to happen. Guitar is what I do when it's obscenely hot out, LOL.

But speaking from the perspective of someone who did get really good at something as a teenager, it's not something someone who's an adult can necessarily do. When I was 16 the only thing I wanted to do in life was learn the music of John Petrucci, Steve Vai and others like that. Consequently I got really good. I'm happy I did it. I still listen to that sort of music and play it all the time on guitar and I'm 33. I figure that golf works the same way for teenagers who pick up the game and get as obsessed as I did about music.

But if some guy who knew some basic guitar stuff came to me and asked me about his chances to become a shredder, I mean...dude...it probably ain't happening. It's easy to make something priority #1 when you're a teenager. As an adult, it's almost impossible. For one, life gets in the way but even if you have the chance, laziness is almost bound to win out.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

If you've been playing for a long time and already have a somewhat decent swing I'd be wary of diving into lessons that are oriented towards making changes to your full-swing.

Work on short game, bunker play, putting and things like that which will have a more direct influence on your scores. That kind of inspiring stuff will help more than some new little move.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @Jerkeejoe said:

>

My 50 year old best friend has a advanced case of rheumatoid arthritis now lives in Phoenix and routinely plays in 110 plus temps..oh yeah and he is a former scratch handicap before his illness.

The point was..if you want to do it..you find a way

> @Grayback1973 said:

> I believe people plateau based on talent level in general.How can you think an instructor can work miracles in an untalented student? He can only work with what the students max potential is.I've formed my opinion from pure experience the last 20 years.I've gotten lessons with a handful of instructors,worked at what they gave me,blah blah.

>

> Somebody mentioned Schnee up there.Well,there is a guy that posts here named Heath who sees Dan and Gankas regularly.Him and Schnee are not exactly what you would call the poster children of athleticism.I mean to say they are by no means skinny and lean.But both of them have talent and their instructors have taken advantage of that talent and maximized their potentials.I believe Heath is a +3 now and Schnee is easily scratch and at one point like +4.

>

> You can't underestimate the natural talent aspect of learning.

I've seen video of Schnee's original swing, and if someone turned that into a genuine +4, then I'm going to go out in the back yard and shoot myself. Clearly, I'm not worthy to live.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @Grayback1973 said:

> > I believe people plateau based on talent level in general.How can you think an instructor can work miracles in an untalented student? He can only work with what the students max potential is.I've formed my opinion from pure experience the last 20 years.I've gotten lessons with a handful of instructors,worked at what they gave me,blah blah.

> >

> > Somebody mentioned Schnee up there.Well,there is a guy that posts here named Heath who sees Dan and Gankas regularly.Him and Schnee are not exactly what you would call the poster children of athleticism.I mean to say they are by no means skinny and lean.But both of them have talent and their instructors have taken advantage of that talent and maximized their potentials.I believe Heath is a +3 now and Schnee is easily scratch and at one point like +4.

> >

> > You can't underestimate the natural talent aspect of learning.

>

> I've seen video of Schnee's original swing, and if someone turned that into a genuine +4, then I'm going to go out in the back yard and shoot myself. Clearly, I'm not worthy to live.

Give the backhanded insults a rest. Stop being angry at other's that you are so lousy at golf, it's really not a good look at all.

> @Krt22 said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > > @Grayback1973 said:

> > > I believe people plateau based on talent level in general.How can you think an instructor can work miracles in an untalented student? He can only work with what the students max potential is.I've formed my opinion from pure experience the last 20 years.I've gotten lessons with a handful of instructors,worked at what they gave me,blah blah.

> > >

> > > Somebody mentioned Schnee up there.Well,there is a guy that posts here named Heath who sees Dan and Gankas regularly.Him and Schnee are not exactly what you would call the poster children of athleticism.I mean to say they are by no means skinny and lean.But both of them have talent and their instructors have taken advantage of that talent and maximized their potentials.I believe Heath is a +3 now and Schnee is easily scratch and at one point like +4.

> > >

> > > You can't underestimate the natural talent aspect of learning.

> >

> > I've seen video of Schnee's original swing, and if someone turned that into a genuine +4, then I'm going to go out in the back yard and shoot myself. Clearly, I'm not worthy to live.

>

> Give the backhanded insults a rest. Stop being angry at other's that you are so lousy at golf, it's really not a good look at all.

I'm not a lousy golfer. I'm just saying that Schnee is not now nor has he ever been a +4. People here are crediting him with an accomplishment he never achieved and in so doing are suggesting it's possible for anyone to do it.

> @Jerkeejoe said:

>

When I first reached scratch, I hit balls for 2 hours a day in the middle of Alberta winter and did mirror/camera work for another 1.5. I putted/chipped inside for another hour or so. So set yourself up on the range with a lot of water and a big umbrella for shade and stop making excuses if you actually want to do this. You should be at the range 5-6 times a week for at least an hour if you’re serious about this.

• Like 2

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @"Ghost of Snead" said:

> > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > @Jerkeejoe said:

> > > > My question is whether it is reasonable to expect to get down to scratch in the next year or so.

> > > This forum has actual data on this question. How many 'blog' threads have we seen over the years where someone vows to take lessons and practice day/night in order to get to scratch? They carry us along for the ride, sharing lesson tips, practice experience, equipment changes and scoring results. Some even share their travels to one teacher or another as well as their meals.

> > >

> > > Have any of them succeeded in getting to scratch?

> > See the progress threads from Schnee, drewtaylor & Qmany. Not sure how long it took them.

> >

> Schnee posts some low rounds, but I don't think he's a legitimate scratch. I don't know; maybe I'm wrong. He certainly has no shortage of enthusiasm. I don't remember drewtaylor or Qmany, and I don't know how to search for them. There's also Dave D, ddetts and ebrasmus, among others, who are still working at it. Grantc79 just got started, so he's got another 11 months.

>

> Personally, I began my immersion in 1990, but I didn't blog it. If I did, it would be a million pages by now.

Add Drake to the list, he just made himself a legend among mortals

• Like 2

If anyone cares -- my story is interesting as well to get to scratch/better.

i have played golf my whole life (since i was 6, i'm now 34) - however golf was always second to baseball. i basically didn't play golf in HS but was still able to shoot around par on a few local courses from whites. my guess, at my best when i was in hs was roughly a 3-4 handicap at the low.

i go to college and played baseball for 4 years - touched a club maybe twice a year during the summer months just to get out and play for fun and almost always shot in the high 80's.

fast forward - i'm out of school for a few years and have a need to take my competitive nature back to something sports related. i 'pick up' golf again at the age of 25 and start taking it a bit more serious. i was a conservative 8-9 handicap back then and got the bug seriously about 6 years ago - and have been scratch or better for the last 3 years.

realizing that you have goals and chip away at them goes a long way. sure its easy to say 'oh just set goals that are realistic and you'll be fine' == while that's really easy to say it's incredibly hard to do, especially with golf (sure you guys/gals know this already). golf unlike baseball, unlike any sports for me -- golf takes serious work. while i've only had 2 lessons in the last 8 years -- i have dug it out of the dirt. i have taken video of myself, studied swings, studied my swing and why i do certain things, educated myself on statistics in golf, and above all of that -- i have played my arse off whether on the course or on the range for hours upon hours of practice. i have had times where my putter has went south and i would proceed to live on a putting green for 3 hours at a time till i figured out why i was doing what i was doing or finding something to ingrain into my stroke. i went from a guy invited to be a ringer in a scramble to earning my way up to state events and trying out for a few US opens. i'm not a pro by any means -- but my mentality, experience and overall 'scars' have shown me what it takes to earn it -- and i'd have it no other way.

to those who say there is a limit - i don't agree. the only things that stand between a golf game you want are distractions, excuses, or barriers, but not limits. guys who are on tour are there b/c they've had the time to work on their games, access to coaches, the financial means to be 'free' of barriers with regards to practice and time, trainers, etc.

the REAL question to be asked is, "what level of performance of golf is acceptable to me to maintain a healthy lifestyle, confidence and overall enjoyment?"

• Like 3

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> If anyone cares -- my story is interesting as well to get to scratch/better.

>

> i have played golf my whole life (since i was 6, i'm now 34) - however golf was always second to baseball. i basically didn't play golf in HS but was still able to shoot around par on a few local courses from whites. my guess, at my best when i was in hs was roughly a 3-4 handicap at the low.

>

> i go to college and played baseball for 4 years - touched a club maybe twice a year during the summer months just to get out and play for fun and almost always shot in the high 80's.

>

> fast forward - i'm out of school for a few years and have a need to take my competitive nature back to something sports related. i 'pick up' golf again at the age of 25 and start taking it a bit more serious. i was a conservative 8-9 handicap back then and got the bug seriously about 6 years ago - and have been scratch or better for the last 3 years.

>

> realizing that you have goals and chip away at them goes a long way. sure its easy to say 'oh just set goals that are realistic and you'll be fine' == while that's really easy to say it's incredibly hard to do, especially with golf (sure you guys/gals know this already). golf unlike baseball, unlike any sports for me -- golf takes serious work. while i've only had 2 lessons in the last 8 years -- i have dug it out of the dirt. i have taken video of myself, studied swings, studied my swing and why i do certain things, educated myself on statistics in golf, and above all of that -- i have played my **** off whether on the course or on the range for hours upon hours of practice. i have had times where my putter has went south and i would proceed to live on a putting green for 3 hours at a time till i figured out why i was doing what i was doing or finding something to ingrain into my stroke. i went from a guy invited to be a ringer in a scramble to earning my way up to state events and trying out for a few US opens. i'm not a pro by any means -- but my mentality, experience and overall 'scars' have shown me what it takes to earn it -- and i'd have it no other way.

>

> to those who say there is a limit - i don't agree. the only things that stand between a golf game you want are distractions, excuses, or barriers, but not limits. guys who are on tour are there b/c they've had the time to work on their games, access to coaches, the financial means to be 'free' of barriers with regards to practice and time, trainers, etc.

>

> the REAL question to be asked is, "what level of performance of golf is acceptable to me to maintain a healthy lifestyle, confidence and overall enjoyment?"

Congrats, awesome story. I would have agreed with you except I played in a scramble a few days ago with a guy my age, nice build that could not hit a driver more than 30 yards. I watched that guy try to play golf. He would have shot well over 100 for 9 holes of golf. He was not just having a bad day, he was jut a horrible golfer. Never in my life since the day I was first handed a golf club did I play golf that bad. That man has a ceiling and there is no amount of instruction or practice that would allow that man to get anywhere near scratch. I was traumatized just watching him. Even watching his putting, it was worse than my vasectomy.

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> > @Jerkeejoe said:

> > Just to clarify, I’m currently a mid 7 handicap, not 9-10.

> >

> > Still appreciate the comments. The one about me not being dedicated because I won’t play more often in 112* heat made me laugh though. ?

> When I first reached scratch, I hit balls for 2 hours a day in the middle of Alberta winter and did mirror/camera work for another 1.5. I putted/chipped inside for another hour or so. So set yourself up on the range with a lot of water and a big umbrella for shade and stop making excuses if you actually want to do this. You should be at the range 5-6 times a week for at least an hour if you’re serious about this.

>

>

You misread something. I regularly hit balls and chip and putt for 1-2 hour sessions, I just try to do so early in the morning before it gets to 110*. Sometimes I do go hit balls in the heat, but what I don't do often is go play a 4 hour round in 110*.

I’ve been on the scratch journey for a while now. In a way it started for me because I completely lost my game and gave myself two choices: 1- give up the game or 2- get serious and take lessons.

Lessons helped a lot. Poor practice habits did not. There’s practice and then there’s effective practice. This year I haven’t practiced hardly at all compared to last year but I did get to my lowest index ever of 2.7.

Kr said something that’s very true in my opinion: the biggest obstacle is usually ourselves. I shoot myself in the foot all the time. I’ll shoot 37 on the front and 41 on the back, stuff like that. It’s like my brain turns off for long enough to have a few bad holes and I rack up the bogeys. It’s mental.

In short, I think as mechanically flawed as my swing might be it’s good enough to play some good golf but my mental game sucks at times and I shoot myself out of good rounds. The last three rounds I’ve played I shot 37 on the front but finished with rounds of 76, 77 and 79. I get in my own way, not sure how else to explain it. My point is I think a lot of guys do that getting in our own way to good golf.

I’m a 3.4 right now (I think). If I posted a current video of my swing MGoat would probably have me at a 9 or 10 ;)

Right now I just don’t have time to practice so it isn’t realist in my opinion that I’ll get to scratch this year. When I have time to practice again I think it’s a challenging yet realistic possibility.

Some others have echoed this but it isn’t easy getting to a place you’ve never been. That’s been the case for me.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Was going to add one more thing about natural ability and the ceiling of ones potential... I have some natural ability but even with a considerable amount of lessons, practice and playing I’ve never been scratch.

Guy I play with every weekend literally never practices and sometimes only plays 5 or 6 times per month (usually he’s around 10 rounds a month). If he shoots 3 over par he had a bad day...

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @"rich s" said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > If anyone cares -- my story is interesting as well to get to scratch/better.

> >

> > i have played golf my whole life (since i was 6, i'm now 34) - however golf was always second to baseball. i basically didn't play golf in HS but was still able to shoot around par on a few local courses from whites. my guess, at my best when i was in hs was roughly a 3-4 handicap at the low.

> >

> > i go to college and played baseball for 4 years - touched a club maybe twice a year during the summer months just to get out and play for fun and almost always shot in the high 80's.

> >

> > fast forward - i'm out of school for a few years and have a need to take my competitive nature back to something sports related. i 'pick up' golf again at the age of 25 and start taking it a bit more serious. i was a conservative 8-9 handicap back then and got the bug seriously about 6 years ago - and have been scratch or better for the last 3 years.

> >

> > realizing that you have goals and chip away at them goes a long way. sure its easy to say 'oh just set goals that are realistic and you'll be fine' == while that's really easy to say it's incredibly hard to do, especially with golf (sure you guys/gals know this already). golf unlike baseball, unlike any sports for me -- golf takes serious work. while i've only had 2 lessons in the last 8 years -- i have dug it out of the dirt. i have taken video of myself, studied swings, studied my swing and why i do certain things, educated myself on statistics in golf, and above all of that -- i have played my **** off whether on the course or on the range for hours upon hours of practice. i have had times where my putter has went south and i would proceed to live on a putting green for 3 hours at a time till i figured out why i was doing what i was doing or finding something to ingrain into my stroke. i went from a guy invited to be a ringer in a scramble to earning my way up to state events and trying out for a few US opens. i'm not a pro by any means -- but my mentality, experience and overall 'scars' have shown me what it takes to earn it -- and i'd have it no other way.

> >

> > to those who say there is a limit - i don't agree. the only things that stand between a golf game you want are distractions, excuses, or barriers, but not limits. guys who are on tour are there b/c they've had the time to work on their games, access to coaches, the financial means to be 'free' of barriers with regards to practice and time, trainers, etc.

> >

> > the REAL question to be asked is, "what level of performance of golf is acceptable to me to maintain a healthy lifestyle, confidence and overall enjoyment?"

>

> Congrats, awesome story. I would have agreed with you except I played in a scramble a few days ago with a guy my age, nice build that could not hit a driver more than 30 yards. I watched that guy try to play golf. He would have shot well over 100 for 9 holes of golf. He was not just having a bad day, he was jut a horrible golfer. Never in my life since the day I was first handed a golf club did I play golf that bad. That man has a ceiling and there is no amount of instruction or practice that would allow that man to get anywhere near scratch. I was traumatized just watching him. Even watching his putting, it was worse than my vasectomy.

Isn’t a vasectomy supposed to be like 30 minutes long and relatively painless?

Asking for a friend who has one scheduled in a month...

> @Jerkeejoe said:

> > @PowderedToastMan said:

> > > @Jerkeejoe said:

> > > Just to clarify, I’m currently a mid 7 handicap, not 9-10.

> > >

> > > Still appreciate the comments. The one about me not being dedicated because I won’t play more often in 112* heat made me laugh though. ?

> > When I first reached scratch, I hit balls for 2 hours a day in the middle of Alberta winter and did mirror/camera work for another 1.5. I putted/chipped inside for another hour or so. So set yourself up on the range with a lot of water and a big umbrella for shade and stop making excuses if you actually want to do this. You should be at the range 5-6 times a week for at least an hour if you’re serious about this.

> >

> >

>

> You misread something. I regularly hit balls and chip and putt for 1-2 hour sessions, I just try to do so early in the morning before it gets to 110*. Sometimes I do go hit balls in the heat, but what I don't do often is go play a 4 hour round in 110*.

I’ll simplify it for you: the range and chipping twice a week combined with 9 holes a week isn’t enough. The most gifted athlete in the universe couldn’t initially reach scratch playing that little.

Established players who’ve been there can maintain scratch playing very little. What you can’t do is get to scratch for the first time practicing and playing very little. I’ve never seen it happen and can confidently say it’s never happened.

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > If anyone cares -- my story is interesting as well to get to scratch/better.

> > >

> > > i have played golf my whole life (since i was 6, i'm now 34) - however golf was always second to baseball. i basically didn't play golf in HS but was still able to shoot around par on a few local courses from whites. my guess, at my best when i was in hs was roughly a 3-4 handicap at the low.

> > >

> > > i go to college and played baseball for 4 years - touched a club maybe twice a year during the summer months just to get out and play for fun and almost always shot in the high 80's.

> > >

> > > fast forward - i'm out of school for a few years and have a need to take my competitive nature back to something sports related. i 'pick up' golf again at the age of 25 and start taking it a bit more serious. i was a conservative 8-9 handicap back then and got the bug seriously about 6 years ago - and have been scratch or better for the last 3 years.

> > >

> > > realizing that you have goals and chip away at them goes a long way. sure its easy to say 'oh just set goals that are realistic and you'll be fine' == while that's really easy to say it's incredibly hard to do, especially with golf (sure you guys/gals know this already). golf unlike baseball, unlike any sports for me -- golf takes serious work. while i've only had 2 lessons in the last 8 years -- i have dug it out of the dirt. i have taken video of myself, studied swings, studied my swing and why i do certain things, educated myself on statistics in golf, and above all of that -- i have played my **** off whether on the course or on the range for hours upon hours of practice. i have had times where my putter has went south and i would proceed to live on a putting green for 3 hours at a time till i figured out why i was doing what i was doing or finding something to ingrain into my stroke. i went from a guy invited to be a ringer in a scramble to earning my way up to state events and trying out for a few US opens. i'm not a pro by any means -- but my mentality, experience and overall 'scars' have shown me what it takes to earn it -- and i'd have it no other way.

> > >

> > > to those who say there is a limit - i don't agree. the only things that stand between a golf game you want are distractions, excuses, or barriers, but not limits. guys who are on tour are there b/c they've had the time to work on their games, access to coaches, the financial means to be 'free' of barriers with regards to practice and time, trainers, etc.

> > >

> > > the REAL question to be asked is, "what level of performance of golf is acceptable to me to maintain a healthy lifestyle, confidence and overall enjoyment?"

> >

> > Congrats, awesome story. I would have agreed with you except I played in a scramble a few days ago with a guy my age, nice build that could not hit a driver more than 30 yards. I watched that guy try to play golf. He would have shot well over 100 for 9 holes of golf. He was not just having a bad day, he was jut a horrible golfer. Never in my life since the day I was first handed a golf club did I play golf that bad. That man has a ceiling and there is no amount of instruction or practice that would allow that man to get anywhere near scratch. I was traumatized just watching him. Even watching his putting, it was worse than my vasectomy.

>

> Isn’t a vasectomy supposed to be like 30 minutes long and relatively painless?

>

> Asking for a friend who has one scheduled in a month...

Fun fact, it depends on your skin thickness! Some of us have to go to the hospital and get put under for them to cut us up... There can always be complications, but should be 2 days on the couch plus 8 more days of rest. Also, remember, your gun is still loaded until the Dr. tells you it's not.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I'm on a quest to get better at golf... I don't know my ceiling. I started back up last year as a 12... ground down to an 8 just getting my game back and my swing rehabbed... Started taking lessons and playing a lot this summer (unemployment and a lawyer for a wife FTW).... Shot a 75 today and wasn't even playing that great. HC is trending to a 5.

I'm working on it.

I think low single digits is achievable for most people, especially playing from the right tees. Lessons, practice and playing the same course consistently will all drive your scores lower. I think you need to figure out a routine, stick with what works, and keep trying. Play as much as you can, practice when you can't play, and just think about what you need to do to improve.

For me, step one was getting my driver under control (both an equipment change and practice)... From there, I realized I was underperforming from 150 yards and in... I've been working on my short wedge game and my putting since then. Starting to improve on that, and after that, I'll probably start working on better shaping shots and better overall control throughout my bag.

I love the Chasing Scratch podcast, and think it's an interesting look at people in the real world trying to achieve this goal... I've wanted to start a Reddit forum for the concept. How do you get and stay good at golf while having a real life?

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore