Is there a limit to how good someone can get at golf?

Jerkeejoe

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > If anyone cares -- my story is interesting as well to get to scratch/better.

> > >

> > > i have played golf my whole life (since i was 6, i'm now 34) - however golf was always second to baseball. i basically didn't play golf in HS but was still able to shoot around par on a few local courses from whites. my guess, at my best when i was in hs was roughly a 3-4 handicap at the low.

> > >

> > > i go to college and played baseball for 4 years - touched a club maybe twice a year during the summer months just to get out and play for fun and almost always shot in the high 80's.

> > >

> > > fast forward - i'm out of school for a few years and have a need to take my competitive nature back to something sports related. i 'pick up' golf again at the age of 25 and start taking it a bit more serious. i was a conservative 8-9 handicap back then and got the bug seriously about 6 years ago - and have been scratch or better for the last 3 years.

> > >

> > > realizing that you have goals and chip away at them goes a long way. sure its easy to say 'oh just set goals that are realistic and you'll be fine' == while that's really easy to say it's incredibly hard to do, especially with golf (sure you guys/gals know this already). golf unlike baseball, unlike any sports for me -- golf takes serious work. while i've only had 2 lessons in the last 8 years -- i have dug it out of the dirt. i have taken video of myself, studied swings, studied my swing and why i do certain things, educated myself on statistics in golf, and above all of that -- i have played my **** off whether on the course or on the range for hours upon hours of practice. i have had times where my putter has went south and i would proceed to live on a putting green for 3 hours at a time till i figured out why i was doing what i was doing or finding something to ingrain into my stroke. i went from a guy invited to be a ringer in a scramble to earning my way up to state events and trying out for a few US opens. i'm not a pro by any means -- but my mentality, experience and overall 'scars' have shown me what it takes to earn it -- and i'd have it no other way.

> > >

> > > to those who say there is a limit - i don't agree. the only things that stand between a golf game you want are distractions, excuses, or barriers, but not limits. guys who are on tour are there b/c they've had the time to work on their games, access to coaches, the financial means to be 'free' of barriers with regards to practice and time, trainers, etc.

> > >

> > > the REAL question to be asked is, "what level of performance of golf is acceptable to me to maintain a healthy lifestyle, confidence and overall enjoyment?"

> >

> > Congrats, awesome story. I would have agreed with you except I played in a scramble a few days ago with a guy my age, nice build that could not hit a driver more than 30 yards. I watched that guy try to play golf. He would have shot well over 100 for 9 holes of golf. He was not just having a bad day, he was jut a horrible golfer. Never in my life since the day I was first handed a golf club did I play golf that bad. That man has a ceiling and there is no amount of instruction or practice that would allow that man to get anywhere near scratch. I was traumatized just watching him. Even watching his putting, it was worse than my vasectomy.

>

> Isn’t a vasectomy supposed to be like 30 minutes long and relatively painless?

>

> Asking for a friend who has one scheduled in a month...

For 99% yes but for me, no. They had a male nurse hold me down to finish up. Not for a $100k never ever ever again. The doctor told me beforehand this was not going to be pleasant due to my junk apparently but why he did not put me under is beyond me.

But yeah, I’m sure it will be fine for you lol

> @"rich s" said:

> > @PowderedToastMan said:

> > > @"rich s" said:

> > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > If anyone cares -- my story is interesting as well to get to scratch/better.

> > > >

> > > > i have played golf my whole life (since i was 6, i'm now 34) - however golf was always second to baseball. i basically didn't play golf in HS but was still able to shoot around par on a few local courses from whites. my guess, at my best when i was in hs was roughly a 3-4 handicap at the low.

> > > >

> > > > i go to college and played baseball for 4 years - touched a club maybe twice a year during the summer months just to get out and play for fun and almost always shot in the high 80's.

> > > >

> > > > fast forward - i'm out of school for a few years and have a need to take my competitive nature back to something sports related. i 'pick up' golf again at the age of 25 and start taking it a bit more serious. i was a conservative 8-9 handicap back then and got the bug seriously about 6 years ago - and have been scratch or better for the last 3 years.

> > > >

> > > > realizing that you have goals and chip away at them goes a long way. sure its easy to say 'oh just set goals that are realistic and you'll be fine' == while that's really easy to say it's incredibly hard to do, especially with golf (sure you guys/gals know this already). golf unlike baseball, unlike any sports for me -- golf takes serious work. while i've only had 2 lessons in the last 8 years -- i have dug it out of the dirt. i have taken video of myself, studied swings, studied my swing and why i do certain things, educated myself on statistics in golf, and above all of that -- i have played my **** off whether on the course or on the range for hours upon hours of practice. i have had times where my putter has went south and i would proceed to live on a putting green for 3 hours at a time till i figured out why i was doing what i was doing or finding something to ingrain into my stroke. i went from a guy invited to be a ringer in a scramble to earning my way up to state events and trying out for a few US opens. i'm not a pro by any means -- but my mentality, experience and overall 'scars' have shown me what it takes to earn it -- and i'd have it no other way.

> > > >

> > > > to those who say there is a limit - i don't agree. the only things that stand between a golf game you want are distractions, excuses, or barriers, but not limits. guys who are on tour are there b/c they've had the time to work on their games, access to coaches, the financial means to be 'free' of barriers with regards to practice and time, trainers, etc.

> > > >

> > > > the REAL question to be asked is, "what level of performance of golf is acceptable to me to maintain a healthy lifestyle, confidence and overall enjoyment?"

> > >

> > > Congrats, awesome story. I would have agreed with you except I played in a scramble a few days ago with a guy my age, nice build that could not hit a driver more than 30 yards. I watched that guy try to play golf. He would have shot well over 100 for 9 holes of golf. He was not just having a bad day, he was jut a horrible golfer. Never in my life since the day I was first handed a golf club did I play golf that bad. That man has a ceiling and there is no amount of instruction or practice that would allow that man to get anywhere near scratch. I was traumatized just watching him. Even watching his putting, it was worse than my vasectomy.

> >

> > Isn’t a vasectomy supposed to be like 30 minutes long and relatively painless?

> >

> > Asking for a friend who has one scheduled in a month...

>

> For 99% yes but for me, no. They had a male nurse hold me down to finish up. Not for a $100k never ever ever again. The doctor told me beforehand this was not going to be pleasant due to my junk apparently but why he did not put me under is beyond me.

>

> But yeah, I’m sure it will be fine for you lol

I hope one day I get to buy you a beer. We’ll sit down to talk about life and I’ll just ask you to start from the beginning. I won’t talk or ask questions, I’ll just say start from the beginning.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > > @PowderedToastMan said:

> > > > @"rich s" said:

> > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > If anyone cares -- my story is interesting as well to get to scratch/better.

> > > > >

> > > > > i have played golf my whole life (since i was 6, i'm now 34) - however golf was always second to baseball. i basically didn't play golf in HS but was still able to shoot around par on a few local courses from whites. my guess, at my best when i was in hs was roughly a 3-4 handicap at the low.

> > > > >

> > > > > i go to college and played baseball for 4 years - touched a club maybe twice a year during the summer months just to get out and play for fun and almost always shot in the high 80's.

> > > > >

> > > > > fast forward - i'm out of school for a few years and have a need to take my competitive nature back to something sports related. i 'pick up' golf again at the age of 25 and start taking it a bit more serious. i was a conservative 8-9 handicap back then and got the bug seriously about 6 years ago - and have been scratch or better for the last 3 years.

> > > > >

> > > > > realizing that you have goals and chip away at them goes a long way. sure its easy to say 'oh just set goals that are realistic and you'll be fine' == while that's really easy to say it's incredibly hard to do, especially with golf (sure you guys/gals know this already). golf unlike baseball, unlike any sports for me -- golf takes serious work. while i've only had 2 lessons in the last 8 years -- i have dug it out of the dirt. i have taken video of myself, studied swings, studied my swing and why i do certain things, educated myself on statistics in golf, and above all of that -- i have played my **** off whether on the course or on the range for hours upon hours of practice. i have had times where my putter has went south and i would proceed to live on a putting green for 3 hours at a time till i figured out why i was doing what i was doing or finding something to ingrain into my stroke. i went from a guy invited to be a ringer in a scramble to earning my way up to state events and trying out for a few US opens. i'm not a pro by any means -- but my mentality, experience and overall 'scars' have shown me what it takes to earn it -- and i'd have it no other way.

> > > > >

> > > > > to those who say there is a limit - i don't agree. the only things that stand between a golf game you want are distractions, excuses, or barriers, but not limits. guys who are on tour are there b/c they've had the time to work on their games, access to coaches, the financial means to be 'free' of barriers with regards to practice and time, trainers, etc.

> > > > >

> > > > > the REAL question to be asked is, "what level of performance of golf is acceptable to me to maintain a healthy lifestyle, confidence and overall enjoyment?"

> > > >

> > > > Congrats, awesome story. I would have agreed with you except I played in a scramble a few days ago with a guy my age, nice build that could not hit a driver more than 30 yards. I watched that guy try to play golf. He would have shot well over 100 for 9 holes of golf. He was not just having a bad day, he was jut a horrible golfer. Never in my life since the day I was first handed a golf club did I play golf that bad. That man has a ceiling and there is no amount of instruction or practice that would allow that man to get anywhere near scratch. I was traumatized just watching him. Even watching his putting, it was worse than my vasectomy.

> > >

> > > Isn’t a vasectomy supposed to be like 30 minutes long and relatively painless?

> > >

> > > Asking for a friend who has one scheduled in a month...

> >

> > For 99% yes but for me, no. They had a male nurse hold me down to finish up. Not for a $100k never ever ever again. The doctor told me beforehand this was not going to be pleasant due to my junk apparently but why he did not put me under is beyond me.

> >

> > But yeah, I’m sure it will be fine for you lol

>

> I hope one day I get to buy you a beer. We’ll sit down to talk about life and I’ll just ask you to start from the beginning. I won’t talk or ask questions, I’ll just say start from the beginning.

I’d like to sit in on that. I just wish I hadn’t heard the vasectomy chapter until after I had completed the journey myself.

My search history since reading that has been totally bizarre and reflects a very anxious, insecure mind.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > > @PowderedToastMan said:

> > > > @"rich s" said:

> > > > > If anyone cares -- my story is interesting as well to get to scratch/better.

> > > > >

> > > > > i have played golf my whole life (since i was 6, i'm now 34) - however golf was always second to baseball. i basically didn't play golf in HS but was still able to shoot around par on a few local courses from whites. my guess, at my best when i was in hs was roughly a 3-4 handicap at the low.

> > > > >

> > > > > i go to college and played baseball for 4 years - touched a club maybe twice a year during the summer months just to get out and play for fun and almost always shot in the high 80's.

> > > > >

> > > > > fast forward - i'm out of school for a few years and have a need to take my competitive nature back to something sports related. i 'pick up' golf again at the age of 25 and start taking it a bit more serious. i was a conservative 8-9 handicap back then and got the bug seriously about 6 years ago - and have been scratch or better for the last 3 years.

> > > > >

> > > > > realizing that you have goals and chip away at them goes a long way. sure its easy to say 'oh just set goals that are realistic and you'll be fine' == while that's really easy to say it's incredibly hard to do, especially with golf (sure you guys/gals know this already). golf unlike baseball, unlike any sports for me -- golf takes serious work. while i've only had 2 lessons in the last 8 years -- i have dug it out of the dirt. i have taken video of myself, studied swings, studied my swing and why i do certain things, educated myself on statistics in golf, and above all of that -- i have played my **** off whether on the course or on the range for hours upon hours of practice. i have had times where my putter has went south and i would proceed to live on a putting green for 3 hours at a time till i figured out why i was doing what i was doing or finding something to ingrain into my stroke. i went from a guy invited to be a ringer in a scramble to earning my way up to state events and trying out for a few US opens. i'm not a pro by any means -- but my mentality, experience and overall 'scars' have shown me what it takes to earn it -- and i'd have it no other way.

> > > > >

> > > > > to those who say there is a limit - i don't agree. the only things that stand between a golf game you want are distractions, excuses, or barriers, but not limits. guys who are on tour are there b/c they've had the time to work on their games, access to coaches, the financial means to be 'free' of barriers with regards to practice and time, trainers, etc.

> > > > >

> > > > > the REAL question to be asked is, "what level of performance of golf is acceptable to me to maintain a healthy lifestyle, confidence and overall enjoyment?"

> > > >

> > > > Congrats, awesome story. I would have agreed with you except I played in a scramble a few days ago with a guy my age, nice build that could not hit a driver more than 30 yards. I watched that guy try to play golf. He would have shot well over 100 for 9 holes of golf. He was not just having a bad day, he was jut a horrible golfer. Never in my life since the day I was first handed a golf club did I play golf that bad. That man has a ceiling and there is no amount of instruction or practice that would allow that man to get anywhere near scratch. I was traumatized just watching him. Even watching his putting, it was worse than my vasectomy.

> > >

> > > Isn’t a vasectomy supposed to be like 30 minutes long and relatively painless?

> > >

> > > Asking for a friend who has one scheduled in a month...

> >

> > For 99% yes but for me, no. They had a male nurse hold me down to finish up. Not for a $100k never ever ever again. The doctor told me beforehand this was not going to be pleasant due to my junk apparently but why he did not put me under is beyond me.

> >

> > But yeah, I’m sure it will be fine for you lol

>

> I hope one day I get to buy you a beer. We’ll sit down to talk about life and I’ll just ask you to start from the beginning. I won’t talk or ask questions, I’ll just say start from the beginning.

You just tell me when to stop lol. A golf wrx get together with some of you fine chaps would complete my life :)

• Like 1

I'm with Dan on this one. Fancy that, double Dan's.

Everyone has a limit (at anything they do, not just golf), but no one actually reaches it. How close can each of us get to ours, that's the stuff that drives people to greatness. Knowing that you won't get there (to the potential, not the goal) and still being willing to put in the work.

I will never realize my full potential at anything, I've already (and will continue to) missed far to many opportunities. But, that knowledge won't dampen the drive or enthusiasm to be the best version of myself that I can possibly be going forward.

Blissful Dissatisfaction (heard that term on Ed Mylett's podcast) - Being happy while still yearning to improve.

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

we have 2 dans in here who say 'everyone has a limit' yet, 'no one actually reaches it' --- so, how do you consider that a limit then...? *headscratcher*

• Like 1

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> we have 2 dans in here who say 'everyone has a limit' yet, 'no one actually reaches it' --- so, how do you consider that a limit then...? *headscratcher*

>

>

Some people can be limited by circumstances but most people limit themselves. If you stop limiting yourself, there's no telling where you can go. As I said earlier, your worst enemy is yourself.

• Like 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @"rich s" said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > > @"Ghost of Snead" said:

> > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > @Jerkeejoe said:

> > > > > My question is whether it is reasonable to expect to get down to scratch in the next year or so.

> > > > This forum has actual data on this question. How many 'blog' threads have we seen over the years where someone vows to take lessons and practice day/night in order to get to scratch? They carry us along for the ride, sharing lesson tips, practice experience, equipment changes and scoring results. Some even share their travels to one teacher or another as well as their meals.

> > > >

> > > > Have any of them succeeded in getting to scratch?

> > > See the progress threads from Schnee, drewtaylor & Qmany. Not sure how long it took them.

> > >

> > Schnee posts some low rounds, but I don't think he's a legitimate scratch. I don't know; maybe I'm wrong. He certainly has no shortage of enthusiasm. I don't remember drewtaylor or Qmany, and I don't know how to search for them. There's also Dave D, ddetts and ebrasmus, among others, who are still working at it. Grantc79 just got started, so he's got another 11 months.

> >

> > Personally, I began my immersion in 1990, but I didn't blog it. If I did, it would be a million pages by now.

>

> Add Drake to the list, he just made himself a legend among mortals

Grant C should be scratch by 7/1/2020 as well

> @gioguy21 said:

> we have 2 dans in here who say 'everyone has a limit' yet, 'no one actually reaches it' --- so, how do you consider that a limit then...? *headscratcher*

>

>

Unrealistic expectations, delusion, laziness, stubbornness, ego, etc.

There are a few serial posters in here that post the same issue, are given mostly the same advice, largely ignore the advice, say it feels weird, they can't do it, theyve done it this way for so long , there has to be a way to make it work since so and so pro golfer does it, disappear for a bit, reappear, rinse and repeat.

The reality is there is a decent chunk of golfers who think lightning in a bottle exists and will search endlessly for it, totally content pounding range ball after range ball while improving very little. Some will even down right argue with extremely accomplished intructors, thinking they can "do it their way" because they don't "fit a mold". Then there are the "mechanics don't matter" , "you don't hit the ball in the backswing", and "instructors just give you enough to get you to come back" folks as well. Read in here long enough and it's no wonder why so many golfers see so little change

• Like 2

> @Ty_Webb said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > we have 2 dans in here who say 'everyone has a limit' yet, 'no one actually reaches it' --- so, how do you consider that a limit then...? *headscratcher*

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I said most never reach it. Not no one. If your going to be a smartass, be accurate

> >

> > whoa, watch your mouth bud, i wasn't being a smartass. Btw, the OTHER Dan is the one I quoted.

> >

> > instead of having thin skin - consider the question i was asking -- how do you consider it a limit if the person doesn't have the drive or motivation to get there?

> >

>

> I would think the point was that if all you need to do is change your attitude to get better then it's not really a limit. Most people don't reach their limits in anything. You have to work really really hard to reach your limit. If it helps, think of it as more of an upper bound. Otherwise, under how you're thinking about it, everyone is currently at their limit (they're as good as they can be given how hard they've worked to get to where they are). The original question was if you really dedicate yourself to it how good can you get (not how good will you get).

i understand that view - i guess what i was gettin at is that a 'limit' is a rather stern definition. a physical handicap can be limiting, a mindset can be limiting, a persons motivation can be limiting...but based on what was said by others - those things can be broken...

when caddying - there is a need to focus on positive - and i think in this case, i like to view 'is there a limit to how good someone can get'...as no, there isn't a limit -- there are plateaus and levels of success available to you that, with effort, can be achieved. now, the level of effort, motivation, time etc may be long or short depending on your skill, physical ability, aptitude for learning (physically, mentality, etc), financial status, or age.

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

There are hard, do not pass go, limits. There are walls you can't break throug no matter what you do. Then there are soft limits which are imposed arbritarily than can raise or limit...like your credit card limit.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Cleaned up some of the back and forth. Please stay on topic and don't fight with each other.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 Stiff, +1/2"

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > we have 2 dans in here who say 'everyone has a limit' yet, 'no one actually reaches it' --- so, how do you consider that a limit then...? *headscratcher*

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I said most never reach it. Not no one. If your going to be a smartass, be accurate

> > >

> > > whoa, watch your mouth bud, i wasn't being a smartass. Btw, the OTHER Dan is the one I quoted.

> > >

> > > instead of having thin skin - consider the question i was asking -- how do you consider it a limit if the person doesn't have the drive or motivation to get there?

> > >

> >

> > I would think the point was that if all you need to do is change your attitude to get better then it's not really a limit. Most people don't reach their limits in anything. You have to work really really hard to reach your limit. If it helps, think of it as more of an upper bound. Otherwise, under how you're thinking about it, everyone is currently at their limit (they're as good as they can be given how hard they've worked to get to where they are). The original question was if you really dedicate yourself to it how good can you get (not how good will you get).

>

> i understand that view - i guess what i was gettin at is that a 'limit' is a rather stern definition. a physical handicap can be limiting, a mindset can be limiting, a persons motivation can be limiting...but based on what was said by others - those things can be broken...

>

> when caddying - there is a need to focus on positive - and i think in this case, i like to view 'is there a limit to how good someone can get'...as no, there isn't a limit -- there are plateaus and levels of success available to you that, with effort, can be achieved. now, the level of effort, motivation, time etc may be long or short depending on your skill, physical ability, aptitude for learning (physically, mentality, etc), financial status, or age.

>

Perhaps potential is a better word since most golfers never reach their full potential. I would say true physical ailments may limit what that potential is (which scales accordingly with age). Time/financial constraints obviously can limit one from reaching one's full potential as well, but even within those constraints, there are ceilings that golfers largely never approach due to self imposed mental hurdles.

• Like 1

Every golfer will rise in the golf world until his/her fear of success gets in his own way of progress.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Hzrdus Smoke Red 75 5.5
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > we have 2 dans in here who say 'everyone has a limit' yet, 'no one actually reaches it' --- so, how do you consider that a limit then...? *headscratcher*

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I said most never reach it. Not no one. If your going to be a smartass, be accurate

> > >

> > > whoa, watch your mouth bud, i wasn't being a smartass. Btw, the OTHER Dan is the one I quoted.

> > >

> > > instead of having thin skin - consider the question i was asking -- how do you consider it a limit if the person doesn't have the drive or motivation to get there?

> > >

> >

> > I would think the point was that if all you need to do is change your attitude to get better then it's not really a limit. Most people don't reach their limits in anything. You have to work really really hard to reach your limit. If it helps, think of it as more of an upper bound. Otherwise, under how you're thinking about it, everyone is currently at their limit (they're as good as they can be given how hard they've worked to get to where they are). The original question was if you really dedicate yourself to it how good can you get (not how good will you get).

>

> i understand that view - i guess what i was gettin at is that a 'limit' is a rather stern definition. a physical handicap can be limiting, a mindset can be limiting, a persons motivation can be limiting...but based on what was said by others - those things can be broken...

>

> when caddying - there is a need to focus on positive - and i think in this case, i like to view 'is there a limit to how good someone can get'...as no, there isn't a limit -- there are plateaus and levels of success available to you that, with effort, can be achieved. now, the level of effort, motivation, time etc may be long or short depending on your skill, physical ability, aptitude for learning (physically, mentality, etc), financial status, or age.

>

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think it's necessarily negative to talk about a limit. I think we all have one. Mine for example is somewhere between my current level and peak Tiger. Likely quite a bit closer to the former than the latter. I know that I'm never going to be able to play the game as well as he did in 2000. I think it's more depressing to think that I could, but I just haven't got there. Knowing that I can't lets me focus on more realistic goals.

I do think it's dangerous to set your goals too high. If you expect too much, then it can be demoralizing when things don't pan out. I also think it's a bad idea to assume your limit is too low though. That can become a self-fulfilling prophecy, assuming that you don't reassess, but that would be reassessing goals, not a view as to your limit.

Like for me, my lofty goals I have two. One is to win the US Mid-Am. The other is to qualify for a major championship. If I do that it would be nice not to finish DFL :) I doubt I'll ever manage either, but I think it's possible to achieve both. I do need to enter them first though...

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

> @Ty_Webb said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > we have 2 dans in here who say 'everyone has a limit' yet, 'no one actually reaches it' --- so, how do you consider that a limit then...? *headscratcher*

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I said most never reach it. Not no one. If your going to be a smartass, be accurate

> > > >

> > > > whoa, watch your mouth bud, i wasn't being a smartass. Btw, the OTHER Dan is the one I quoted.

> > > >

> > > > instead of having thin skin - consider the question i was asking -- how do you consider it a limit if the person doesn't have the drive or motivation to get there?

> > > >

> > >

> > > I would think the point was that if all you need to do is change your attitude to get better then it's not really a limit. Most people don't reach their limits in anything. You have to work really really hard to reach your limit. If it helps, think of it as more of an upper bound. Otherwise, under how you're thinking about it, everyone is currently at their limit (they're as good as they can be given how hard they've worked to get to where they are). The original question was if you really dedicate yourself to it how good can you get (not how good will you get).

> >

> > i understand that view - i guess what i was gettin at is that a 'limit' is a rather stern definition. a physical handicap can be limiting, a mindset can be limiting, a persons motivation can be limiting...but based on what was said by others - those things can be broken...

> >

> > when caddying - there is a need to focus on positive - and i think in this case, i like to view 'is there a limit to how good someone can get'...as no, there isn't a limit -- there are plateaus and levels of success available to you that, with effort, can be achieved. now, the level of effort, motivation, time etc may be long or short depending on your skill, physical ability, aptitude for learning (physically, mentality, etc), financial status, or age.

> >

>

> I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think it's necessarily negative to talk about a limit. I think we all have one. Mine for example is somewhere between my current level and peak Tiger. Likely quite a bit closer to the former than the latter. I know that I'm never going to be able to play the game as well as he did in 2000. I think it's more depressing to think that I could, but I just haven't got there. Knowing that I can't lets me focus on more realistic goals.

>

> I do think it's dangerous to set your goals too high. If you expect too much, then it can be demoralizing when things don't pan out. I also think it's a bad idea to assume your limit is too low though. That can become a self-fulfilling prophecy, assuming that you don't reassess, but that would be reassessing goals, not a view as to your limit.

>

> Like for me, my lofty goals I have two. One is to win the US Mid-Am. The other is to qualify for a major championship. If I do that it would be nice not to finish DFL :) I doubt I'll ever manage either, but I think it's possible to achieve both. I do need to enter them first though...

dip a toe man - the water is warm!

at a minimum sign up for the USGA 4 ball!

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > > we have 2 dans in here who say 'everyone has a limit' yet, 'no one actually reaches it' --- so, how do you consider that a limit then...? *headscratcher*

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I said most never reach it. Not no one. If your going to be a smartass, be accurate

> > > > >

> > > > > whoa, watch your mouth bud, i wasn't being a smartass. Btw, the OTHER Dan is the one I quoted.

> > > > >

> > > > > instead of having thin skin - consider the question i was asking -- how do you consider it a limit if the person doesn't have the drive or motivation to get there?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I would think the point was that if all you need to do is change your attitude to get better then it's not really a limit. Most people don't reach their limits in anything. You have to work really really hard to reach your limit. If it helps, think of it as more of an upper bound. Otherwise, under how you're thinking about it, everyone is currently at their limit (they're as good as they can be given how hard they've worked to get to where they are). The original question was if you really dedicate yourself to it how good can you get (not how good will you get).

> > >

> > > i understand that view - i guess what i was gettin at is that a 'limit' is a rather stern definition. a physical handicap can be limiting, a mindset can be limiting, a persons motivation can be limiting...but based on what was said by others - those things can be broken...

> > >

> > > when caddying - there is a need to focus on positive - and i think in this case, i like to view 'is there a limit to how good someone can get'...as no, there isn't a limit -- there are plateaus and levels of success available to you that, with effort, can be achieved. now, the level of effort, motivation, time etc may be long or short depending on your skill, physical ability, aptitude for learning (physically, mentality, etc), financial status, or age.

> > >

> >

> > I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think it's necessarily negative to talk about a limit. I think we all have one. Mine for example is somewhere between my current level and peak Tiger. Likely quite a bit closer to the former than the latter. I know that I'm never going to be able to play the game as well as he did in 2000. I think it's more depressing to think that I could, but I just haven't got there. Knowing that I can't lets me focus on more realistic goals.

> >

> > I do think it's dangerous to set your goals too high. If you expect too much, then it can be demoralizing when things don't pan out. I also think it's a bad idea to assume your limit is too low though. That can become a self-fulfilling prophecy, assuming that you don't reassess, but that would be reassessing goals, not a view as to your limit.

> >

> > Like for me, my lofty goals I have two. One is to win the US Mid-Am. The other is to qualify for a major championship. If I do that it would be nice not to finish DFL :) I doubt I'll ever manage either, but I think it's possible to achieve both. I do need to enter them first though...

>

> dip a toe man - the water is warm!

>

> at a minimum sign up for the USGA 4 ball!

My issue is I have two small kids and I already disappear for a week for a golf tournament in April. If I qualify for the Mid-Am, that would mean spending another week away and would get me in big trouble. That's why I try to qualify for these things when they're close by. Not often enough...

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

> @Ty_Webb said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > > > we have 2 dans in here who say 'everyone has a limit' yet, 'no one actually reaches it' --- so, how do you consider that a limit then...? *headscratcher*

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I said most never reach it. Not no one. If your going to be a smartass, be accurate

> > > > > >

> > > > > > whoa, watch your mouth bud, i wasn't being a smartass. Btw, the OTHER Dan is the one I quoted.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > instead of having thin skin - consider the question i was asking -- how do you consider it a limit if the person doesn't have the drive or motivation to get there?

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I would think the point was that if all you need to do is change your attitude to get better then it's not really a limit. Most people don't reach their limits in anything. You have to work really really hard to reach your limit. If it helps, think of it as more of an upper bound. Otherwise, under how you're thinking about it, everyone is currently at their limit (they're as good as they can be given how hard they've worked to get to where they are). The original question was if you really dedicate yourself to it how good can you get (not how good will you get).

> > > >

> > > > i understand that view - i guess what i was gettin at is that a 'limit' is a rather stern definition. a physical handicap can be limiting, a mindset can be limiting, a persons motivation can be limiting...but based on what was said by others - those things can be broken...

> > > >

> > > > when caddying - there is a need to focus on positive - and i think in this case, i like to view 'is there a limit to how good someone can get'...as no, there isn't a limit -- there are plateaus and levels of success available to you that, with effort, can be achieved. now, the level of effort, motivation, time etc may be long or short depending on your skill, physical ability, aptitude for learning (physically, mentality, etc), financial status, or age.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think it's necessarily negative to talk about a limit. I think we all have one. Mine for example is somewhere between my current level and peak Tiger. Likely quite a bit closer to the former than the latter. I know that I'm never going to be able to play the game as well as he did in 2000. I think it's more depressing to think that I could, but I just haven't got there. Knowing that I can't lets me focus on more realistic goals.

> > >

> > > I do think it's dangerous to set your goals too high. If you expect too much, then it can be demoralizing when things don't pan out. I also think it's a bad idea to assume your limit is too low though. That can become a self-fulfilling prophecy, assuming that you don't reassess, but that would be reassessing goals, not a view as to your limit.

> > >

> > > Like for me, my lofty goals I have two. One is to win the US Mid-Am. The other is to qualify for a major championship. If I do that it would be nice not to finish DFL :) I doubt I'll ever manage either, but I think it's possible to achieve both. I do need to enter them first though...

> >

> > dip a toe man - the water is warm!

> >

> > at a minimum sign up for the USGA 4 ball!

>

> My issue is I have two small kids and I already disappear for a week for a golf tournament in April. If I qualify for the Mid-Am, that would mean spending another week away and would get me in big trouble. That's why I try to qualify for these things when they're close by. Not often enough...

i get it man - all the best, whether kids or golf!

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @Ty_Webb said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > > > we have 2 dans in here who say 'everyone has a limit' yet, 'no one actually reaches it' --- so, how do you consider that a limit then...? *headscratcher*

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I said most never reach it. Not no one. If your going to be a smartass, be accurate

> > > > > >

> > > > > > whoa, watch your mouth bud, i wasn't being a smartass. Btw, the OTHER Dan is the one I quoted.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > instead of having thin skin - consider the question i was asking -- how do you consider it a limit if the person doesn't have the drive or motivation to get there?

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I would think the point was that if all you need to do is change your attitude to get better then it's not really a limit. Most people don't reach their limits in anything. You have to work really really hard to reach your limit. If it helps, think of it as more of an upper bound. Otherwise, under how you're thinking about it, everyone is currently at their limit (they're as good as they can be given how hard they've worked to get to where they are). The original question was if you really dedicate yourself to it how good can you get (not how good will you get).

> > > >

> > > > i understand that view - i guess what i was gettin at is that a 'limit' is a rather stern definition. a physical handicap can be limiting, a mindset can be limiting, a persons motivation can be limiting...but based on what was said by others - those things can be broken...

> > > >

> > > > when caddying - there is a need to focus on positive - and i think in this case, i like to view 'is there a limit to how good someone can get'...as no, there isn't a limit -- there are plateaus and levels of success available to you that, with effort, can be achieved. now, the level of effort, motivation, time etc may be long or short depending on your skill, physical ability, aptitude for learning (physically, mentality, etc), financial status, or age.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think it's necessarily negative to talk about a limit. I think we all have one. Mine for example is somewhere between my current level and peak Tiger. Likely quite a bit closer to the former than the latter. I know that I'm never going to be able to play the game as well as he did in 2000. I think it's more depressing to think that I could, but I just haven't got there. Knowing that I can't lets me focus on more realistic goals.

> > >

> > > I do think it's dangerous to set your goals too high. If you expect too much, then it can be demoralizing when things don't pan out. I also think it's a bad idea to assume your limit is too low though. That can become a self-fulfilling prophecy, assuming that you don't reassess, but that would be reassessing goals, not a view as to your limit.

> > >

> > > Like for me, my lofty goals I have two. One is to win the US Mid-Am. The other is to qualify for a major championship. If I do that it would be nice not to finish DFL :) I doubt I'll ever manage either, but I think it's possible to achieve both. I do need to enter them first though...

> >

> > dip a toe man - the water is warm!

> >

> > at a minimum sign up for the USGA 4 ball!

>

> My issue is I have two small kids and I already disappear for a week for a golf tournament in April. If I qualify for the Mid-Am, that would mean spending another week away and would get me in big trouble. That's why I try to qualify for these things when they're close by. Not often enough...

Home School atnd take the kids with you.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > > > > we have 2 dans in here who say 'everyone has a limit' yet, 'no one actually reaches it' --- so, how do you consider that a limit then...? *headscratcher*

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I said most never reach it. Not no one. If your going to be a smartass, be accurate

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > whoa, watch your mouth bud, i wasn't being a smartass. Btw, the OTHER Dan is the one I quoted.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > instead of having thin skin - consider the question i was asking -- how do you consider it a limit if the person doesn't have the drive or motivation to get there?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I would think the point was that if all you need to do is change your attitude to get better then it's not really a limit. Most people don't reach their limits in anything. You have to work really really hard to reach your limit. If it helps, think of it as more of an upper bound. Otherwise, under how you're thinking about it, everyone is currently at their limit (they're as good as they can be given how hard they've worked to get to where they are). The original question was if you really dedicate yourself to it how good can you get (not how good will you get).

> > > > >

> > > > > i understand that view - i guess what i was gettin at is that a 'limit' is a rather stern definition. a physical handicap can be limiting, a mindset can be limiting, a persons motivation can be limiting...but based on what was said by others - those things can be broken...

> > > > >

> > > > > when caddying - there is a need to focus on positive - and i think in this case, i like to view 'is there a limit to how good someone can get'...as no, there isn't a limit -- there are plateaus and levels of success available to you that, with effort, can be achieved. now, the level of effort, motivation, time etc may be long or short depending on your skill, physical ability, aptitude for learning (physically, mentality, etc), financial status, or age.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think it's necessarily negative to talk about a limit. I think we all have one. Mine for example is somewhere between my current level and peak Tiger. Likely quite a bit closer to the former than the latter. I know that I'm never going to be able to play the game as well as he did in 2000. I think it's more depressing to think that I could, but I just haven't got there. Knowing that I can't lets me focus on more realistic goals.

> > > >

> > > > I do think it's dangerous to set your goals too high. If you expect too much, then it can be demoralizing when things don't pan out. I also think it's a bad idea to assume your limit is too low though. That can become a self-fulfilling prophecy, assuming that you don't reassess, but that would be reassessing goals, not a view as to your limit.

> > > >

> > > > Like for me, my lofty goals I have two. One is to win the US Mid-Am. The other is to qualify for a major championship. If I do that it would be nice not to finish DFL :) I doubt I'll ever manage either, but I think it's possible to achieve both. I do need to enter them first though...

> > >

> > > dip a toe man - the water is warm!

> > >

> > > at a minimum sign up for the USGA 4 ball!

> >

> > My issue is I have two small kids and I already disappear for a week for a golf tournament in April. If I qualify for the Mid-Am, that would mean spending another week away and would get me in big trouble. That's why I try to qualify for these things when they're close by. Not often enough...

>

> Home School atnd take the kids with you.

a 4 year old caddie could be worth 2 strokes a side! 2 year old can bring a rake and rake the bunkers for me.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

> @Ty_Webb said:

> > @SNIPERBBB said:

> > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > > > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > > > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > > > > > we have 2 dans in here who say 'everyone has a limit' yet, 'no one actually reaches it' --- so, how do you consider that a limit then...? *headscratcher*

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > I said most never reach it. Not no one. If your going to be a smartass, be accurate

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > whoa, watch your mouth bud, i wasn't being a smartass. Btw, the OTHER Dan is the one I quoted.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > instead of having thin skin - consider the question i was asking -- how do you consider it a limit if the person doesn't have the drive or motivation to get there?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I would think the point was that if all you need to do is change your attitude to get better then it's not really a limit. Most people don't reach their limits in anything. You have to work really really hard to reach your limit. If it helps, think of it as more of an upper bound. Otherwise, under how you're thinking about it, everyone is currently at their limit (they're as good as they can be given how hard they've worked to get to where they are). The original question was if you really dedicate yourself to it how good can you get (not how good will you get).

> > > > > >

> > > > > > i understand that view - i guess what i was gettin at is that a 'limit' is a rather stern definition. a physical handicap can be limiting, a mindset can be limiting, a persons motivation can be limiting...but based on what was said by others - those things can be broken...

> > > > > >

> > > > > > when caddying - there is a need to focus on positive - and i think in this case, i like to view 'is there a limit to how good someone can get'...as no, there isn't a limit -- there are plateaus and levels of success available to you that, with effort, can be achieved. now, the level of effort, motivation, time etc may be long or short depending on your skill, physical ability, aptitude for learning (physically, mentality, etc), financial status, or age.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think it's necessarily negative to talk about a limit. I think we all have one. Mine for example is somewhere between my current level and peak Tiger. Likely quite a bit closer to the former than the latter. I know that I'm never going to be able to play the game as well as he did in 2000. I think it's more depressing to think that I could, but I just haven't got there. Knowing that I can't lets me focus on more realistic goals.

> > > > >

> > > > > I do think it's dangerous to set your goals too high. If you expect too much, then it can be demoralizing when things don't pan out. I also think it's a bad idea to assume your limit is too low though. That can become a self-fulfilling prophecy, assuming that you don't reassess, but that would be reassessing goals, not a view as to your limit.

> > > > >

> > > > > Like for me, my lofty goals I have two. One is to win the US Mid-Am. The other is to qualify for a major championship. If I do that it would be nice not to finish DFL :) I doubt I'll ever manage either, but I think it's possible to achieve both. I do need to enter them first though...

> > > >

> > > > dip a toe man - the water is warm!

> > > >

> > > > at a minimum sign up for the USGA 4 ball!

> > >

> > > My issue is I have two small kids and I already disappear for a week for a golf tournament in April. If I qualify for the Mid-Am, that would mean spending another week away and would get me in big trouble. That's why I try to qualify for these things when they're close by. Not often enough...

> >

> > Home School atnd take the kids with you.

>

> a 4 year old caddie could be worth 2 strokes a side! 2 year old can bring a rake and rake the bunkers for me.

I’m sure they’d love to walk off your yardages and line up putts

• Like 1

> @ScottJN said:

> > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > @SNIPERBBB said:

> > > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > > > > > @Ty_Webb said:

> > > > > > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > we have 2 dans in here who say 'everyone has a limit' yet, 'no one actually reaches it' --- so, how do you consider that a limit then...? *headscratcher*

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > I said most never reach it. Not no one. If your going to be a smartass, be accurate

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > whoa, watch your mouth bud, i wasn't being a smartass. Btw, the OTHER Dan is the one I quoted.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > instead of having thin skin - consider the question i was asking -- how do you consider it a limit if the person doesn't have the drive or motivation to get there?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I would think the point was that if all you need to do is change your attitude to get better then it's not really a limit. Most people don't reach their limits in anything. You have to work really really hard to reach your limit. If it helps, think of it as more of an upper bound. Otherwise, under how you're thinking about it, everyone is currently at their limit (they're as good as they can be given how hard they've worked to get to where they are). The original question was if you really dedicate yourself to it how good can you get (not how good will you get).

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > i understand that view - i guess what i was gettin at is that a 'limit' is a rather stern definition. a physical handicap can be limiting, a mindset can be limiting, a persons motivation can be limiting...but based on what was said by others - those things can be broken...

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > when caddying - there is a need to focus on positive - and i think in this case, i like to view 'is there a limit to how good someone can get'...as no, there isn't a limit -- there are plateaus and levels of success available to you that, with effort, can be achieved. now, the level of effort, motivation, time etc may be long or short depending on your skill, physical ability, aptitude for learning (physically, mentality, etc), financial status, or age.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think it's necessarily negative to talk about a limit. I think we all have one. Mine for example is somewhere between my current level and peak Tiger. Likely quite a bit closer to the former than the latter. I know that I'm never going to be able to play the game as well as he did in 2000. I think it's more depressing to think that I could, but I just haven't got there. Knowing that I can't lets me focus on more realistic goals.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I do think it's dangerous to set your goals too high. If you expect too much, then it can be demoralizing when things don't pan out. I also think it's a bad idea to assume your limit is too low though. That can become a self-fulfilling prophecy, assuming that you don't reassess, but that would be reassessing goals, not a view as to your limit.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Like for me, my lofty goals I have two. One is to win the US Mid-Am. The other is to qualify for a major championship. If I do that it would be nice not to finish DFL :) I doubt I'll ever manage either, but I think it's possible to achieve both. I do need to enter them first though...

> > > > >

> > > > > dip a toe man - the water is warm!

> > > > >

> > > > > at a minimum sign up for the USGA 4 ball!

> > > >

> > > > My issue is I have two small kids and I already disappear for a week for a golf tournament in April. If I qualify for the Mid-Am, that would mean spending another week away and would get me in big trouble. That's why I try to qualify for these things when they're close by. Not often enough...

> > >

> > > Home School atnd take the kids with you.

> >

> > a 4 year old caddie could be worth 2 strokes a side! 2 year old can bring a rake and rake the bunkers for me.

>

> I’m sure they’d love to walk off your yardages and line up putts

>

"how far is it?"

"how far is what?"

"the hole"

"Oh, it's a long way a...million!"

"thanks bud"

• Like 1

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Although for some reason it's fashionable to believe that we're all equal, and that talent is overrated, I totally disagree. We are not all equal. Each of us is unique. Some people are bigger, faster, stronger, smarter, etc., and no amount of training and or instruction in the world is going to transform a turd into a diamond. Not everyone has the athletic and mental traits to be a scratch or better golfer, just as not every scratch golfer has what it takes to become a Tour player, no matter how much they want it and how hard they work.

Now that's not to say you can't be the best version of yourself. And I'd agree that very few reach THEIR full potential in any endeavor, in golf or whatever the activity. To that end we're ultimately limited by our swing mechanics/technique, our willingness to put the time in practicing, our mental approach including optimism and confidence among other traits, and our willingness to persevere and tough it out.

• Like 2

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @dpb5031 said:

> Although for some reason it's fashionable to believe that we're all equal, and that talent is overrated, I totally disagree. We are not all equal. Each of us is unique. Some people are bigger, faster, stronger, smarter, etc., and no amount of training and or instruction in the world is going to transform a **** into a diamond. Not everyone has the athletic and mental traits to be a scratch or better golfer, just as not every scratch golfer has what it takes to become a Tour player, no matter how much they want it and how hard they work.

>

> Now that's not to say you can't be the best version of yourself. And I'd agree that very few reach THEIR full potential in any endeavor, in golf or whatever the activity. To that end we're ultimately limited by our swing mechanics/technique, our willingness to put the time in practicing, our mental approach including optimism and confidence among other traits, and our willingness to persevere and tough it out.

Very well put.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @dpb5031 said:

> Although for some reason it's fashionable to believe that we're all equal, and that talent is overrated, I totally disagree. We are not all equal. Each of us is unique. Some people are bigger, faster, stronger, smarter, etc., and no amount of training and or instruction in the world is going to transform a **** into a diamond. Not everyone has the athletic and mental traits to be a scratch or better golfer, just as not every scratch golfer has what it takes to become a Tour player, no matter how much they want it and how hard they work.

>

> Now that's not to say you can't be the best version of yourself. And I'd agree that very few reach THEIR full potential in any endeavor, in golf or whatever the activity. To that end we're ultimately limited by our swing mechanics/technique, our willingness to put the time in practicing, our mental approach including optimism and confidence among other traits, and our willingness to persevere and tough it out.

I totally agree. I watched an old vlog by Be Better Golf recently. He was playing with a former college tennis and basketball player or something. Apparently the guy had only been playing golf 8 months, was a single digit handicap and had made two aces already. It just comes easier to some people.

> @TMoakley1547 said:

> > @dpb5031 said:

> > Although for some reason it's fashionable to believe that we're all equal, and that talent is overrated, I totally disagree. We are not all equal. Each of us is unique. Some people are bigger, faster, stronger, smarter, etc., and no amount of training and or instruction in the world is going to transform a **** into a diamond. Not everyone has the athletic and mental traits to be a scratch or better golfer, just as not every scratch golfer has what it takes to become a Tour player, no matter how much they want it and how hard they work.

> >

> > Now that's not to say you can't be the best version of yourself. And I'd agree that very few reach THEIR full potential in any endeavor, in golf or whatever the activity. To that end we're ultimately limited by our swing mechanics/technique, our willingness to put the time in practicing, our mental approach including optimism and confidence among other traits, and our willingness to persevere and tough it out.

>

> I totally agree. I watched an old vlog by Be Better Golf recently. He was playing with a former college tennis and basketball player or something. Apparently the guy had only been playing golf 8 months, was a single digit handicap and had made two aces already. It just comes easier to some people.

I think there are skill sets that cross over. If someone played tennis or hockey or similar then I think golf will come more easily to you than someone who never played any sports.

But I also know a guy who took the game up at about 12. When he was 16 his handicap was about 18 and he practiced and played religiously. He’s now I think about 41. His handicap is +3. I wouldn’t say he had natural talent for the game. What he did have was a work ethic.

Undoubtedly there are physical traits that will make life easier, but I don’t think anyone fit and healthy can’t get to scratch if they start young enough and work hard at it.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

> @Ty_Webb said:

> > @TMoakley1547 said:

> > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > Although for some reason it's fashionable to believe that we're all equal, and that talent is overrated, I totally disagree. We are not all equal. Each of us is unique. Some people are bigger, faster, stronger, smarter, etc., and no amount of training and or instruction in the world is going to transform a **** into a diamond. Not everyone has the athletic and mental traits to be a scratch or better golfer, just as not every scratch golfer has what it takes to become a Tour player, no matter how much they want it and how hard they work.

> > >

> > > Now that's not to say you can't be the best version of yourself. And I'd agree that very few reach THEIR full potential in any endeavor, in golf or whatever the activity. To that end we're ultimately limited by our swing mechanics/technique, our willingness to put the time in practicing, our mental approach including optimism and confidence among other traits, and our willingness to persevere and tough it out.

> >

> > I totally agree. I watched an old vlog by Be Better Golf recently. He was playing with a former college tennis and basketball player or something. Apparently the guy had only been playing golf 8 months, was a single digit handicap and had made two aces already. It just comes easier to some people.

>

> I think there are skill sets that cross over. If someone played tennis or hockey or similar then I think golf will come more easily to you than someone who never played any sports.

>

> But I also know a guy who took the game up at about 12. When he was 16 his handicap was about 18 and he practiced and played religiously. He’s now I think about 41. His handicap is +3. I wouldn’t say he had natural talent for the game. What he did have was a work ethic.

>

> Undoubtedly there are physical traits that will make life easier, but I don’t think anyone fit and healthy can’t get to scratch if they start young enough and work hard at it.

Starting young is a huge advantage, and work ethic is a big part, but you still need the innate ability. There are plenty of guys out there who have played since childhood and now play 150+ rounds per year, practice 5 days per week, and still cant break 80.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball