Henrik Stenson sits out of playoffs....

Titleist99

Stenson chose to sit out of the playoffs, which is his prerogative. These golfers are independent contractors and if any other golfer feels that the new schedule is creating a hardship on them and their schedule they also have the option to sit out as well. Instead of whining about needing rest and not being able to peak for the Majors...Every other sport has playoffs....Why not Golf? I think that he wanted to rest up ….I'm not sure, If this is true, do you agree with his decision?

The playoffs are a contrivance. "Let's keep the season going to bring in more views."

Millionaires playing for millions - for me, not particularly riveting. No one is playing for a major, or a tournament win (per se), or history. The eventual goal is simply a money position. I'll watch because I want to see the standard of play, but what they are playing for is (for me) completely irrelevant.

• Like 3

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

> @MadGolfer76 said:

> The playoffs are a contrivance. "Let's keep the season going to bring in more views."

> Millionaires playing for millions - for me, not particularly riveting. No one is playing for a major, or a tournament win (per se), or history. The eventual goal is simply a money position. I'll watch because I want to see the standard of play, but what they are playing for is (for me) completely irrelevant.

Well, the Masters started with it's first tournament. The PGA Tour is trying to build an historic tradition....but some is fighting it all the way....LOL!

> @Titleist99 said:

> > @MadGolfer76 said:

> > The playoffs are a contrivance. "Let's keep the season going to bring in more views."

> > Millionaires playing for millions - for me, not particularly riveting. No one is playing for a major, or a tournament win (per se), or history. The eventual goal is simply a money position. I'll watch because I want to see the standard of play, but what they are playing for is (for me) completely irrelevant.

>

> Well, the Masters started with it's first tournament. The PGA Tour is trying to build an historic tradition....but some is fighting it all the way....LOL!

They had a historic tradition before this - it was called the end of the major championship season, followed by the lesser known (and less historic) Tour Championship. They lost TV viewing about at the point that "silly season" (as it used to be called) rolled around, so they extended the season and baited top players into extending their schedules by hanging a lump of cash in front of them.

Sorry....jaded.

Titleist ProV1x

The playoffs in golf doesn't really mean you are the "champion" for the year like in other sports. The four most important winners have already been determined.

I also think the playoffs here is too random. There's too many points awarded to whomever gets hot in this 3 tournament (was 4 tournament) stretch. If you want to argue its like the NCAA basketball, OK maybe. But most other sports the best teams are usually playing late too.

> @MadGolfer76 said:

> > @Titleist99 said:

> > > @MadGolfer76 said:

> > > The playoffs are a contrivance. "Let's keep the season going to bring in more views."

> > > Millionaires playing for millions - for me, not particularly riveting. No one is playing for a major, or a tournament win (per se), or history. The eventual goal is simply a money position. I'll watch because I want to see the standard of play, but what they are playing for is (for me) completely irrelevant.

> >

> > Well, the Masters started with it's first tournament. The PGA Tour is trying to build an historic tradition....but some is fighting it all the way....LOL!

>

> They had a historic tradition before this - it was called the end of the major championship season, followed by the lesser known (and less historic) Tour Championship. They lost TV viewing about at the point that "silly season" (as it used to be called) rolled around, so they extended the season and baited top players into extending their schedules by hanging a lump of cash in front of them.

>

> Sorry....jaded.

I never watched the silly season shenanigans …..Playoffs and wraparound is much better in my opinion. To each his own.

• Like 1

> @Titleist99 said:

> > @MadGolfer76 said:

> > > @Titleist99 said:

> > > > @MadGolfer76 said:

> > > > The playoffs are a contrivance. "Let's keep the season going to bring in more views."

> > > > Millionaires playing for millions - for me, not particularly riveting. No one is playing for a major, or a tournament win (per se), or history. The eventual goal is simply a money position. I'll watch because I want to see the standard of play, but what they are playing for is (for me) completely irrelevant.

> > >

> > > Well, the Masters started with it's first tournament. The PGA Tour is trying to build an historic tradition....but some is fighting it all the way....LOL!

> >

> > They had a historic tradition before this - it was called the end of the major championship season, followed by the lesser known (and less historic) Tour Championship. They lost TV viewing about at the point that "silly season" (as it used to be called) rolled around, so they extended the season and baited top players into extending their schedules by hanging a lump of cash in front of them.

> >

> > Sorry....jaded.

>

> I never watched the silly season shenanigans …..Playoffs and wraparound is much better in my opinion. To each his own.

I don't necessarily disagree. I would rather watch actual pro events than hack celebs playing scrambles with a tour pro thrown in. I just don't like the spirit of intention.

Titleist ProV1x

Part of me is with the cynical brigade in thinking that the number one reason he is doing it is because, as things stood, the chances of him making it to next week never mind the Tour Championship were pretty slim given his position in the rankings. The other part of me thinks that the money on offer to the players these days is so great that they don't really need to chase for it as much as they once would have wanted or needed to and if that's the case, then why not head home, still earn some money and not have to worry about the grind quite as much.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Some good discussions here on the whys and rationale behind players personal schedules, injuries and personal commitments aside I think it'll take more than one season to see how it beds in with players and what their usual rhythm becomes.

The main takeaway for me is that Cash is King and they don't have to chase it as hard as they used to. There's mountains of green backs up for grabs all the time. The first trigger of this for me was guys like Brooks, Fleetwood, Reed and others going equipment free agent.

Top level tour pro - "I'll play whatever clubs I want and I'll play wherever I want, then at the end of the season there'll still be 2 MIL (for the guy in 50th!) in the Bank. That's before sponsor money. Good living for the top guys.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

I guess his family wants a piece of the Swedish summer and to meet relatives etc. Now is the time. We have about 8 weeks of nice weather per year in Sweden and it's only a couple of them left.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

> @"oz dee cee" said:

> I don’t mind the idea of a playoff series. You need something to bring the year to an end. I’m not sure they’ve got it right but it can be interesting.

>

> I think we over think things. It’s three more tournaments with the best players in the world. What’s not to like?

+1

> @MadGolfer76 said:

> The playoffs are a contrivance. "Let's keep the season going to bring in more views."

> Millionaires playing for millions - for me, not particularly riveting. No one is playing for a major, or a tournament win (per se), or history. The eventual goal is simply a money position. I'll watch because I want to see the standard of play, but what they are playing for is (for me) completely irrelevant.

Actually more interested in this than usual. Other than masters the other 3 majors were uninteresting, especially PGA and British. I feel a need to witness more high stakes golf this year. And don't think theae guys dont care....privately I bet many would prefer the $10 million over one major.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

He's already won the FedEX cup once. Unlike majors where you want to win as many as possible, to me the FedEX cup is a little like Mt. Everest. Once you've climbed it once there's not much point in doing it again. But it's a nice feather in the career cap. As for the $$ it's a lot to be sure but I think he'll be able to meet his expenses for the forseeable future. Sounds like he's got his priorities in order.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

> @Ferguson said:

> Makes me think he could be going through some issues at home?

>

>

always your go too.

As far as the play offs go, they should move one of the majors to be one of the 4 events.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > Makes me think he could be going through some issues at home?

> >

> >

>

> always your go too.

>

> As far as the play offs go, they should move one of the majors to be one of the 4 events.

Until I hear otherwise, I will labor through the speculation of others.

> @agolf1 said:

> The playoffs in golf doesn't really mean you are the "champion" for the year like in other sports. The four most important winners have already been determined.

>

> I also think the playoffs here is too random. There's too many points awarded to whomever gets hot in this 3 tournament (was 4 tournament) stretch. If you want to argue its like the NCAA basketball, OK maybe. But most other sports the best teams are usually playing late too.

College Basketball) HAVE TOURNAMENTS WITH A TOURNAMENT ((Baseball)....Pennant champion ,World Series (Football)....division Champ, Super bowl (College football).....Many Bowl games ( Basketball)...….conference champs, finals champ. My point is all sports have contrived season events because it is about entertainment and money$$$,

> @Titleist99 said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > The playoffs in golf doesn't really mean you are the "champion" for the year like in other sports. The four most important winners have already been determined.

> >

> > I also think the playoffs here is too random. There's too many points awarded to whomever gets hot in this 3 tournament (was 4 tournament) stretch. If you want to argue its like the NCAA basketball, OK maybe. But most other sports the best teams are usually playing late too.

>

> College Basketball) HAVE TOURNAMENTS WITH A TOURNAMENT ((Baseball)....Pennant champion ,World Series (Football)....division Champ, Super bowl (College football).....Many Bowl games ( Basketball)...….conference champs, finals champ. My point is all sports have contrived season events because it is about entertainment and money$$$,

My point is no one thinks the FedEx Cup Champion is the undisputed champion of the golfing season. Anyone think Billy Horschel had a better 2014 than Rory?

> @MountainGoat said:

> Look like he's too far down the FedEx list to be a serious contender, and there's an event in Sweden that conflicts with the FedEx finals, anyway. That's an invitational, so he's probably looking as a pretty significant appearance fee.

As I've always said, these Tour Pros are in control of their own schedule.....so stop complaining about the PGA Tour's schedule.

> @Titleist99 said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > Look like he's too far down the FedEx list to be a serious contender, and there's an event in Sweden that conflicts with the FedEx finals, anyway. That's an invitational, so he's probably looking as a pretty significant appearance fee.

>

> As I've always said, these Tour Pros are in control of their own schedule.....so stop complaining about the PGA Tour's schedule.

I wasn’t.