Club Corp Course Reviews for Play Away (Formerly Travel) Members

> @SkiSchoolPro said:

> How do you use the site to book? Is there actually an online option for some courses? That would be great!

>

So it's not much different than the e-mail method. At clubcorp benefits finder page (https://www.clubcorp.com/Membership/Benefits-Finder) you go to the course you want and click contact clubline. It takes you to a form that you fill out with the information on your request.

It's not like booking your time and you can't see any availability. ClubCorp responds via e-mail.

Member at Greenbrier. It's Rees Jones in a housing development...that should say something. It's not bad. Maintained well. I pay membership dues, so I guess I think it's good enough to play 50 or so times a year...

The Neuse in Raleigh is really nice. I worked there for 2 years. Always maintained great.

Lochmere in Raleigh is meh. If there's been rain recently, the course turns into a swamp. Decent for $25 I guess.

Bear's Best Atlanta was nice when I played, been a while, can't comment on current conditions. Plays really cool for a homage course.

PInehurst #9 is OK, nothing great. I can't remember much about the design, which normally means I think it's pretty meh.

Nags Head is cool, extremely tight, but well maintained. Flows through the round really well.

I don't think I've played any others, but it's hard to keep up.

> @act0fgod said:

> > @bastarf said:

> > Coto is running a "Take a Guest for Free" promotion. You just pay the cart fee for both yourself and one guest.

>

> The take a guest for free promo is something clubcorp has done in July and August the past couple of months. 1 free guest for golf or dining each month. Does not apply for affiliate courses.

Good to know. I just joined Play Away so I missed the emails on it. Hopefully the promo will continue since it's nice to be able to play with non-member friends on occasion.

Pinehurst #9 is not a $235 course, but it's a great deal for $35. It's not even a bad deal at $85. I've played it twice in the last couple of months (two corporate meetings at Pinehurst), and it's practically paid for my membership. Considering the deals I've gotten the guys I work with, it's definitely been worth it.

I have a customer outside of Greensboro, NC and took the longer route home through Danville, VA and played the Danville Golf Club. It's an affiliate, but they still only charged me $15 to play. It's a fun, old school Donald Ross course on a great piece of land, and while it wasn't in the greatest condition I've ever seen, it was very playable, and I'd definitely play it again.

> @bastarf said:

> Has anyone played DeBary Golf & Country Club or Golden Bear Golf Club out in Orlando? Taking the family to DisneyWorld and I'm planning to sneak a couple of rounds in.

Played Golden Bear Golf Club at Keene’s Pointe and really enjoyed it. Would definitely go back and play there. Talking with a member there is supposedly a couple retired MLB players who are members. I didn’t go all the way to DeBary, staying close and playing Celebration and The New Course at Grand Cypress. Really enjoyed the new course.

> @hardcorelooper said:

> Pinehurst #9 is not a $235 course, but it's a great deal for $35. It's not even a bad deal at $85. I've played it twice in the last couple of months (two corporate meetings at Pinehurst), and it's practically paid for my membership. Considering the deals I've gotten the guys I work with, it's definitely been worth it.

>

> I have a customer outside of Greensboro, NC and took the longer route home through Danville, VA and played the Danville Golf Club. It's an affiliate, but they still only charged me $15 to play. It's a fun, old school Donald Ross course on a great piece of land, and while it wasn't in the greatest condition I've ever seen, it was very playable, and I'd definitely play it again.

Coming from Southern Cal, pinehurst #9 was huge treat. Great condition and awesome staff. Historical clubhouse was another treat.

Awesome thread here. I'm one of the writers for [GolfWRX ](http://www.golfwrx.com/author/johnnynewbern/ "GolfWRX ") and I've just started a golf course instagram to go along with my "Experience" articles. If you guys have any photos of some courses you'd like featured in a post, follow the[ instagram here ](https://www.instagram.com/golfwrxperience/ " instagram here ")and then shoot me a message to send me your photos. I'd love to include your pictures and tag you for photo credit on some of these places.

Also, I'm headed down to Austin next week to play The Hills of Lakeway, Signature Course and Flintrock Falls. Both Nicklaus designed ClubCorp tracks and fun, hill country layouts. I'll let you know what I think on the golfwrxperience account.

• Like 1

> @kidcloudkicker said:

> Anyone play TPC Michigan lately? And anyone know what the guest fee is?

Was in good shape when I played it Sept '18 (but greens were slower than I expected IIRC)

> @theebdk said:

> > @pinhigh27 said:

> > Anybody know the greens fee at firestone?

>

> Which course? Assume you are asking about the South Course which usually requires an overnight stay. Greens fee including the cart is $281. The cart fee only on North Course is $31.

This was my biggest disappointment with Club Corp...nowhere did I read/see that the South Course wasn't included in the cart fee only program (and that it required an overnight stay) until after I joined CC and tried to book it.

Play Engineers Country Club on Long Island when you can. Terrific layout, though the membership seems like a pack of grouches and the pro shop staff is meh. It's an affiliate course, and you may need to pony up $60 for a caddie -- probably a good idea since local knowledge is highly desirable.

Love the young lady at the halfway house!

> @Pwood28 said:

> Another vote for Mission Hills and the Dinah Shore course. Cool old school feel to it.

>

>

>

> Las Vegas has a couple of good tracks. Bears Best definitely feels artificial in the way it flows, but does have some good holes and is usually in great shape. Also winds through some ridiculously cool homes. Canyon Gate is a pretty typical CC club, but again, great conditions (after they replaced the greens) and a super friendly staff.

>

>

>

> Golden Bear’s Club at Windmere is a nice course in the Orlando area. Will play this one again next time I’m down there.

Bear's best was pretty good, service was great. Awesome deal with the Clubcorp rate. I could never imagine paying the rack rate of $230 or whatever it is though.

Qi10 LS 10.5* Diamana TB 60TX

BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Stealth 2 5W 18* Diamana TB 80TX

Apex UW 21* AD DI 8X

P7TW 4-PW DG Tour Issue X100

SM9 Brushed Steel 56S, 60T DG Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #3

Pro V1X

> @bubbaleon said:

> AMA! I have been to over 200 courses in this network! Happy to help anyone.

>

> My top clubs providing access or cart fee only in the network (*notates affiliate vs ClubCorp owned)

> Mission Hills (Palm Springs)

> Firestone (Akron)

> Indian Wells (Palm Springs)

> Coto de Caza (orange County)

> The Woodlands CC (Houston)

> PGA National (Palm Beach)*

> Haig Point Club (Daufuskie Island; not free, but access)*

> Breakers West Country Club (Palm Beach; not free but access)*

> Omni Barton Creek (Austin; discount on golf packages; all courses here are top notch)*

> Pinehurst No 9. (access to other course w/o overnight stay)*

> Anglebrook Golf Club (Westchester County; 1hr N of NYC)*

> CC of the South (Atlanta, mens locker room is insane)

> Anthem CC (Phoenix)

> Dye Club Barefoot Resort (yes, it is private. Barefoot's other 3 courses are not private: Fazio, Love, norman)*

> Tucson National*

> CC of the South (Atlanta)

> White Columns CC/The Manor (Atlanta)

> Bear's Best Las Vegas

> TPC Craig Ranch (Dallas/McKinney

> Stonebriar (Dallas/Frisco)

> The Club at Porto Cima (Lake Ozarks, MO)*

> Gleneagles CC (Dallas/Plano)

> Traditions Club at A&M (College Station, TX)*

> Somerby Golf Club (Rochester/Byron, MN)*

> Greystone Golf & CC (Birmingham, AL)*

> Currituck Golf Club (Outer Banks, NC) (Also have Nags Head Golf Links, not in my overall top but nice course)

> Vista Vallarta Club de golf (PV, Mexico; both Nicklaus and Weiskopf)

> Oak Tree Country Club (OKC)

> The Territory Golf Club (Duncan, OKC)*

> Golf Club Indigo Run (Hilton Head)

> Seabrook Island Club (s. Charleston)*

> The Hills Country Club (Austin, both Flintrock Falls and Signature)

> Timarron CC (Dallas/Southlake)

> Bishops Bay CC (madison, WI)*

> Golden Bear Keene's Point (Orlando)*

> Lago Mar CC (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)*

> Seven Canyons Club (Sedona; not free, discounts)

>

Taking a trip in early October to the Carolinas.

What are your reccos in/around Pinehurst? Is No. 9 for the discount a better choice than Dormie, Tobacco Road, Mid Pines or Pine Needles?

How about Charleston? Is Seabrook Island that much better than Charleston National? Any others in that area you'd recommend?

Thanks!

> @ryanmroddy said:

> > @bubbaleon said:

> > AMA! I have been to over 200 courses in this network! Happy to help anyone.

> >

> > My top clubs providing access or cart fee only in the network (*notates affiliate vs ClubCorp owned)

> > Mission Hills (Palm Springs)

> > Firestone (Akron)

> > Indian Wells (Palm Springs)

> > Coto de Caza (orange County)

> > The Woodlands CC (Houston)

> > PGA National (Palm Beach)*

> > Haig Point Club (Daufuskie Island; not free, but access)*

> > Breakers West Country Club (Palm Beach; not free but access)*

> > Omni Barton Creek (Austin; discount on golf packages; all courses here are top notch)*

> > Pinehurst No 9. (access to other course w/o overnight stay)*

> > Anglebrook Golf Club (Westchester County; 1hr N of NYC)*

> > CC of the South (Atlanta, mens locker room is insane)

> > Anthem CC (Phoenix)

> > Dye Club Barefoot Resort (yes, it is private. Barefoot's other 3 courses are not private: Fazio, Love, norman)*

> > Tucson National*

> > CC of the South (Atlanta)

> > White Columns CC/The Manor (Atlanta)

> > Bear's Best Las Vegas

> > TPC Craig Ranch (Dallas/McKinney

> > Stonebriar (Dallas/Frisco)

> > The Club at Porto Cima (Lake Ozarks, MO)*

> > Gleneagles CC (Dallas/Plano)

> > Traditions Club at A&M (College Station, TX)*

> > Somerby Golf Club (Rochester/Byron, MN)*

> > Greystone Golf & CC (Birmingham, AL)*

> > Currituck Golf Club (Outer Banks, NC) (Also have Nags Head Golf Links, not in my overall top but nice course)

> > Vista Vallarta Club de golf (PV, Mexico; both Nicklaus and Weiskopf)

> > Oak Tree Country Club (OKC)

> > The Territory Golf Club (Duncan, OKC)*

> > Golf Club Indigo Run (Hilton Head)

> > Seabrook Island Club (s. Charleston)*

> > The Hills Country Club (Austin, both Flintrock Falls and Signature)

> > Timarron CC (Dallas/Southlake)

> > Bishops Bay CC (madison, WI)*

> > Golden Bear Keene's Point (Orlando)*

> > Lago Mar CC (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)*

> > Seven Canyons Club (Sedona; not free, discounts)

> >

>

> Taking a trip in early October to the Carolinas.

>

> What are your reccos in/around Pinehurst? Is No. 9 for the discount a better choice than Dormie, Tobacco Road, Mid Pines or Pine Needles?

>

> How about Charleston? Is Seabrook Island that much better than Charleston National? Any others in that area you'd recommend?

>

> Thanks!

Pinehurst #9 is the only ClubCorp in the area for Pinehurst. There's no comparison between that course and the other 4 you named. They're all far and away better. But #9 is about 1/5 the cost, so that's a positive. If you're flying into or coming through Raleigh, Lochmere is one I'd skip, Neuse is one I remember being very good and enjoyable, Devil's Ridge I never played but I've heard good things and it's the most accessible if traveling from Raleigh to Pinehurst.

> @ryanmroddy said:

> > @bubbaleon said:

> > AMA! I have been to over 200 courses in this network! Happy to help anyone.

> >

> > My top clubs providing access or cart fee only in the network (*notates affiliate vs ClubCorp owned)

> > Mission Hills (Palm Springs)

> > Firestone (Akron)

> > Indian Wells (Palm Springs)

> > Coto de Caza (orange County)

> > The Woodlands CC (Houston)

> > PGA National (Palm Beach)*

> > Haig Point Club (Daufuskie Island; not free, but access)*

> > Breakers West Country Club (Palm Beach; not free but access)*

> > Omni Barton Creek (Austin; discount on golf packages; all courses here are top notch)*

> > Pinehurst No 9. (access to other course w/o overnight stay)*

> > Anglebrook Golf Club (Westchester County; 1hr N of NYC)*

> > CC of the South (Atlanta, mens locker room is insane)

> > Anthem CC (Phoenix)

> > Dye Club Barefoot Resort (yes, it is private. Barefoot's other 3 courses are not private: Fazio, Love, norman)*

> > Tucson National*

> > CC of the South (Atlanta)

> > White Columns CC/The Manor (Atlanta)

> > Bear's Best Las Vegas

> > TPC Craig Ranch (Dallas/McKinney

> > Stonebriar (Dallas/Frisco)

> > The Club at Porto Cima (Lake Ozarks, MO)*

> > Gleneagles CC (Dallas/Plano)

> > Traditions Club at A&M (College Station, TX)*

> > Somerby Golf Club (Rochester/Byron, MN)*

> > Greystone Golf & CC (Birmingham, AL)*

> > Currituck Golf Club (Outer Banks, NC) (Also have Nags Head Golf Links, not in my overall top but nice course)

> > Vista Vallarta Club de golf (PV, Mexico; both Nicklaus and Weiskopf)

> > Oak Tree Country Club (OKC)

> > The Territory Golf Club (Duncan, OKC)*

> > Golf Club Indigo Run (Hilton Head)

> > Seabrook Island Club (s. Charleston)*

> > The Hills Country Club (Austin, both Flintrock Falls and Signature)

> > Timarron CC (Dallas/Southlake)

> > Bishops Bay CC (madison, WI)*

> > Golden Bear Keene's Point (Orlando)*

> > Lago Mar CC (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)*

> > Seven Canyons Club (Sedona; not free, discounts)

> >

>

> Taking a trip in early October to the Carolinas.

>

> What are your reccos in/around Pinehurst? Is No. 9 for the discount a better choice than Dormie, Tobacco Road, Mid Pines or Pine Needles?

>

> How about Charleston? Is Seabrook Island that much better than Charleston National? Any others in that area you'd recommend?

>

> Thanks!

I've not played Charleston National, but the Seabrook courses are nice. I preferred the one that was routed through the neighborhood over the one that's supposedly more seaside (It's not). Can't remember the names.

Stay away from Rivertowne. That place was in really bad shape when I was there in May. Snee Farm is pretty good.

Thinking about joining PlayAway also as I travel a bit for work 1-2 a month. What really got me thinking is I'm heading down to Hilton Head in Oct for a couple weeks, meaning... they have a few courses down there that I can play 2x each, right? and take the wife for dinner? :)

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

> @Imp said:

> Thinking about joining PlayAway also as I travel a bit for work 1-2 a month. What really got me thinking is I'm heading down to Hilton Head in Oct for a couple weeks, meaning... they have a few courses down there that I can play 2x each, right? and take the wife for dinner? :)

>

> --kC

She will love it. Good plan.

Done. Heading to Philly in a few weeks, may stop by somewhere on the way down. I like the club rental deal too, as I travel a bit for work... Atlanta in Nov, etc... and don't have to bring clubs. Let's see how things turn out.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Took a quick skim through the post, but didn't notice if this question was answered, and I apologize in advance if I missed it.

What is the cost for a Play Away membership? I put in an inquiry to ClubCorp, but haven't heard back. Looking for my wife and me.

EDIT: just found the info myself, it's $60 per month, they're currently waiving the $1000 initiation fee.

> @SecondandGoal said:

> Took a quick skim through the post, but didn't notice if this question was answered, and I apologize in advance if I missed it.

>

> What is the cost for a Play Away membership? I put in an inquiry to ClubCorp, but haven't heard back. Looking for my wife and me.

>

> EDIT: just found the info myself, it's $60 per month, they're currently waiving the $1000 initiation fee.

Yes...Just noticed they bumped up the Play Away Price by $10/mo + tax...didn't read the email they sent back in June but saw it on my CC statement.

> @oneunderbogey said:

> Yeah they aren't waving it. It doesnt exist. I'm a club Corp member just cause of where I live the value is to good to pass up but the way they running things is so annoying. Feels like a used car dealership not a country club anytime money is involved.

They're consistent...I worked at a ClubCorp club 17 years ago and it was the same then. Nickle and dimeing people all the time.

> @SkiSchoolPro said:

> This was my biggest disappointment with Club Corp...nowhere did I read/see that the South Course wasn't included in the cart fee only program (and that it required an overnight stay) until after I joined CC and tried to book it.

>

Yeah, I suspect they have to do that because of the high profile nature of the course. If they only charged $31 to play the South, the actual members would probably struggle to get times. It might not be the best course in the ClubCorp network, I suppose that could be debated, but it's certainly the most high profile and probably most desired.

> @"Johnny Biarritz" said:

> > @SkiSchoolPro said:

> > This was my biggest disappointment with Club Corp...nowhere did I read/see that the South Course wasn't included in the cart fee only program (and that it required an overnight stay) until after I joined CC and tried to book it.

> >

> Yeah, I suspect they have to do that because of the high profile nature of the course. If they only charged $31 to play the South, the actual members would probably struggle to get times. It might not be the best course in the ClubCorp network, I suppose that could be debated, but it's certainly the most high profile and probably most desired.

>

I get that, just wish they made it clearer in their literature that the South course isn't cart fee only.

> @SkiSchoolPro said:

> > @"Johnny Biarritz" said:

> > > @SkiSchoolPro said:

> > > This was my biggest disappointment with Club Corp...nowhere did I read/see that the South Course wasn't included in the cart fee only program (and that it required an overnight stay) until after I joined CC and tried to book it.

> > >

> > Yeah, I suspect they have to do that because of the high profile nature of the course. If they only charged $31 to play the South, the actual members would probably struggle to get times. It might not be the best course in the ClubCorp network, I suppose that could be debated, but it's certainly the most high profile and probably most desired.

> >

>

> I get that, just wish they made it clearer in their literature that the South course isn't cart fee only.

I hate it as well. Just only allow a certain allotment a day, like several of the affiliated clubs do.

I don't remember how or where I saw it, but I knew before I joined that Firestone South wasn't included. That said, I just looked around and it's not really apparent that the course isn't included.

Also, how does the fee structure work when traveling to other courses? Is the "cart fee" mandatory or could a person choose to walk and get a straight comp fee? I haven't had chance to use the travel portion of my membership yet.

> @"Johnny Biarritz" said:

> I don't remember how or where I saw it, but I knew before I joined that Firestone South wasn't included. That said, I just looked around and it's not really apparent that the course isn't included.

>

> Also, how does the fee structure work when traveling to other courses? Is the "cart fee" mandatory or could a person choose to walk and get a straight comp fee? I haven't had chance to use the travel portion of my membership yet.

My experience is that it is mandatory. I've been told a couple of times it has been as well.

I played PGA National (yes, just an affiliate club) and called beforehand and asked if I got a caddy would I still have to pay the $40 cart fee. I also explained I was playing via Clubcorp. Over the phone, they said no. When I got there, they said it was mandatory.

> @defnotapro said:

> > @"Johnny Biarritz" said:

> > I don't remember how or where I saw it, but I knew before I joined that Firestone South wasn't included. That said, I just looked around and it's not really apparent that the course isn't included.

> >

> > Also, how does the fee structure work when traveling to other courses? Is the "cart fee" mandatory or could a person choose to walk and get a straight comp fee? I haven't had chance to use the travel portion of my membership yet.

>

> My experience is that it is mandatory. I've been told a couple of times it has been as well.

> I played PGA National (yes, just an affiliate club) and called beforehand and asked if I got a caddy would I still have to pay the $40 cart fee. I also explained I was playing via Clubcorp. Over the phone, they said no. When I got there, they said it was mandatory.

Is the Champ course at PGA National included in the cart fee only list?