Monte's efficient swing

i*windows

So I just purchased this and started going through the segments. My segment one looks good and realized by videotaping my swing that things go all wonky starting at segment 2. I am really hoping this helps my straight-pull to slice issue.

One question I have, can this also be applied to Driver and wood swings since you need a more sweeping attack? It seems like it should since these shots now seem less steep if you follow things correctly. Anyone have any experience in applying this to their drives?

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

In theory it’s all the same regardless of club. The length of club and setup change dictate the changes and intent is the same.

However, intentional swing changes with driver tend to create problems...so ingrain with shorter clubs and me right it filter up.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

> @CasualLie said:

> > @musclefront said:

> > > @CasualLie said:

> > > Not trying to do all that in a swing, just looking for the right trigger to start downswing. And getting a sanity check on the discrepancies.

> > > As it is, the biggest benefit I get from Monte's videos are helping to get back to basics when I go astray. My pattern has not changed much for a long time. Play 2-3 times in a week, by the 3rd time of the week play at my best, feel in a rhythm, then travel and step away from golf for 7 - 10 days. Come back to the course, forget what I was doing, try all kinds of triggers to find a rhythm and end up playing like a total hack beginner that struggles to break 90. Then watch Monte's videos, go ah...right...that's what I forgot, go back to the course, play much better, get in a rhythm, then travel again...repeat, repeat, repeat. Madness.

> >

> > You pretty much just described the definition of insanity. Gotta change something up and quick! Ha

>

> No kidding! Honestly, I am the closest I have ever been to quitting. It's just not fun anymore. It is hard for me to reconcile that years ago with clubs that are much less forgiving I could break 80 regularly, an index down to 5, and now in tournaments playing closer tees, with so much more "knowledge" and dialed in equipment, and my scores are horrid. Years of playing matches/skins and other junk games have totally ruined my ability to put together an 18 hole tournament.

>

> Thanks to Monte I am hitting the ball better than ever...when I hit it because thanks to the 8 inches between the ears I am scoring worse than ever...

I spent a year hitting it better on the range (Monte lessons) but not on the course and scoring worse. Then it finally clicked in. Now I am playing best of my life. It just takes a while. It simply does.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> In theory it’s all the same regardless of club. The length of club and setup change dictate the changes and intent is the same.

>

> However, intentional swing changes with driver tend to create problems...so ingrain with shorter clubs and me right it filter up.

Thank you Monte!

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

OMG...I literally had the game changer epiphany today. Ive been trying to basically rebuild my swing with this video and having good success. But it has been no good trying to carry if over to a real full swing. The segment 2 Drill 2 finally hit home. I cant believe it took this long. Ive watched it about 10 times and finally picked up on a cue from Montes hip move in this drill. My arm over run and EE is GONE! My literal thought to start the swing is "hips leave the hands behind".

Well...can't blame Monte, or anything related the "efficient swing", it works. I played 6 rounds last week in four days, the worse stretch I have ever had. And it was all mental. When somehow I could play loose/free, the shots were lasers and I could have a 4-5 hole stretch at even par or 1 under. And the crazy part was it would be in the toughest holes. But when I started "thinking" it was a disaster and really hard to get out of that mode.

Shutting it down for tournaments for the rest of the year. Scheduling lobotomy.

• 1 month later...

> @wickwoss said:

> Sorry if this had been addressed, but any suggestions on working on efficient swing or drive 4 dough first? I think I will end up doing both, but not sure where to start.

Start with Efficient Swing, this program is more about building what Monte considers a good swing from the ground up. D4D focuses on common faults and the fixes.

> @jcolton said:

> > @MonteScheinblum said:

> > However, intentional swing changes with driver tend to create problems...so ingrain with shorter clubs and me right it filter up.

> Can you expand on this a little?

>

Expand? It’s hard to make swing changes with driver because all of our swing faults are misperceptions on how to create speed. So hitting driver just perpetuates the faults.

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> Expand? It’s hard to make swing changes with driver because all of our swing faults are misperceptions on how to create speed. So hitting driver just perpetuates the faults.

>

Are you saying that swing changes should be worked on with irons, and that those swings changes will eventually carry over to the driver? That your driver swing is more about "flow" and swinging free than it is worrying about mechanics? Or am I still not understanding and misinterpreting?

> @jcolton said:

> > Expand? It’s hard to make swing changes with driver because all of our swing faults are misperceptions on how to create speed. So hitting driver just perpetuates the faults.

> >

> Are you saying that swing changes should be worked on with irons, and that those swings changes will eventually carry over to the driver? That your driver swing is more about "flow" and swinging free than it is worrying about mechanics? Or am I still not understanding and misinterpreting?

I’m saying your swing faults are producing speed the wrong way. If you hit driver a bunch, you are going to continue to produce speed the wrong way, because the urge to produce speed is more acute. When you’re hitting a 3/4 seven iron, you’re notbtrying to produce speed, so your body gives you permission do make new moves.

• Like 2

BERTRAND RUSSELL

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> > @jcolton said:

> > > @MonteScheinblum said:

> > > Expand? It’s hard to make swing changes with driver because all of our swing faults are misperceptions on how to create speed. So hitting driver just perpetuates the faults.

> > >

> > Are you saying that swing changes should be worked on with irons, and that those swings changes will eventually carry over to the driver? That your driver swing is more about "flow" and swinging free than it is worrying about mechanics? Or am I still not understanding and misinterpreting?

>

> I’m saying your swing faults are producing speed the wrong way. If you hit driver a bunch, you are going to continue to produce speed the wrong way, because the urge to produce speed is more acute. When you’re hitting a 3/4 seven iron, you’re notbtrying to produce speed, so your body gives you permission do make new moves.

>

I see, makes sense. Thanks Monte

• 2 weeks later...

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> I’m saying your swing faults are producing speed the wrong way. If you hit driver a bunch, you are going to continue to produce speed the wrong way, because the urge to produce speed is more acute. When you’re hitting a 3/4 seven iron, you’re notbtrying to produce speed, so your body gives you permission do make new moves.

I need to tattoo this to my forehead. I don’t practice with driver much but I do the same thing (seek speed) with a 8 iron.

This may be the best practice idea I have run across.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Hey Monte,

I just started watching your vids, and I would like to take some lessons with you. How do I got about booking one with you? I'm here in Torrance, and I can drive down if you have any weekday openings.

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> > @jcolton said:

> > > @MonteScheinblum said:

> > > Expand? It’s hard to make swing changes with driver because all of our swing faults are misperceptions on how to create speed. So hitting driver just perpetuates the faults.

> > >

> > Are you saying that swing changes should be worked on with irons, and that those swings changes will eventually carry over to the driver? That your driver swing is more about "flow" and swinging free than it is worrying about mechanics? Or am I still not understanding and misinterpreting?

>

>

> @wrongfairwayagain said:

> Hey Monte,

>

> I just started watching your vids, and I would like to take some lessons with you. How do I got about booking one with you? I'm here in Torrance, and I can drive down if you have any weekday openings.

>

> > > @jcolton said:

> > > > @MonteScheinblum said:

> > > > Expand? It’s hard to make swing changes with driver because all of our swing faults are misperceptions on how to create speed. So hitting driver just perpetuates the faults.

> > > >

> > > Are you saying that swing changes should be worked on with irons, and that those swings changes will eventually carry over to the driver? That your driver swing is more about "flow" and swinging free than it is worrying about mechanics? Or am I still not understanding and misinterpreting?

> >

> > I’m saying your swing faults are producing speed the wrong way. If you hit driver a bunch, you are going to continue to produce speed the wrong way, because the urge to produce speed is more acute. When you’re hitting a 3/4 seven iron, you’re notbtrying to produce speed, so your body gives you permission do make new moves.

> >

>

All that info is on his website.

I just purchased the program today and I’m eager to see how I can improve. Curious if anyone has a process they recommend for going through the program.

Here are my initial thoughts: clearly Monte structured it the way it is on purpose. So I think I will watch one segment at a time, then make sure I do the practice drills - before I watch any of the subsequent segment videos. I figure best not to spoil the surprise and try to do too much all at once.

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

TSR2 16.5 / Ventus TR Red 7X

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

Artisan HC 6-P / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Artisan 49, 54, 59 / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Revolving Putter

> @Arlin964 said:

> I just purchased the program today and I’m eager to see how I can improve. Curious if anyone has a process they recommend for going through the program.

>

> Here are my initial thoughts: clearly Monte structured it the way it is on purpose. So I think I will watch one segment at a time, then make sure I do the practice drills - before I watch any of the subsequent segment videos. I figure best not to spoil the surprise and try to do too much all at once.

Caveat: I’m a beginner so bear that in mind with my comments, but in case it is of interest:

I watched the whole set of videos because I was intrigued how it builds - actually I stopped once it got in to the multiple drills for transiation because I knew that work would be a way off :-). but I did have a fairly clear idea in my mind of how the logic went up to that point.

Then I typed what I thought were the key takeaways from the first couple of segments (club parallel segment, arm parallel segment) into the notes app on my phone so that if I could check in on them should I draw a blank at the practice range (I don’t have a garden big enough to tap even those short strikes)

Before I went out ot the range I tried to get a feel in my kitchen for how it feels to set the wrists back at that first position and I videoed this to check - VIDEOING WAS ESSENTIAL for me - what I thought was parallel, and stright behind me, wasn’t. At all. I noticed that for me the face went almost vertical in that position but was comfortable with that being slightly contrary to the accepted “angle of your torso” advice you get elsewhere as Monte covers this in the early video.

Then I went to the range and hot a bucket, alternating no turn and slight turn at that club parallel segment. They weren’t all struck nicely, I’m a beginner, I can acept that.

I also moved to the arm parallel stage, this was less consistent,and I kept reminding myself that this step works IF the first segment position is reached - so allowed myself to pay more attention to that as well as what I was trying to do to get to parallel and that seemed to help.

I think next time (only done one session on this) I need to film the whole session not just a few swings, and review after. I think Ia lso need to get some sort of stand to hold my phone at a better filming height (it was propped up against the back wall)

Since that session I also had my first 1-to-1 lesson and the coach’s first observation was to fix my setup (I was routinely too far away) so I’ll have that to add in next time (hopefully this evening) and see if it gets a bit more consistent.

> @TimmyO said:

> > @Arlin964 said:

> > I just purchased the program today and I’m eager to see how I can improve. Curious if anyone has a process they recommend for going through the program.

> >

> > Here are my initial thoughts: clearly Monte structured it the way it is on purpose. So I think I will watch one segment at a time, then make sure I do the practice drills - before I watch any of the subsequent segment videos. I figure best not to spoil the surprise and try to do too much all at once.

>

> Caveat: I’m a beginner so bear that in mind with my comments, but in case it is of interest:

>

> I watched the whole set of videos because I was intrigued how it builds - actually I stopped once it got in to the multiple drills for transiation because I knew that work would be a way off :-). but I did have a fairly clear idea in my mind of how the logic went up to that point.

>

> Then I typed what I thought were the key takeaways from the first couple of segments (club parallel segment, arm parallel segment) into the notes app on my phone so that if I could check in on them should I draw a blank at the practice range (I don’t have a garden big enough to tap even those short strikes)

>

> Before I went out ot the range I tried to get a feel in my kitchen for how it feels to set the wrists back at that first position and I videoed this to check - VIDEOING WAS ESSENTIAL for me - what I thought was parallel, and stright behind me, wasn’t. At all. I noticed that for me the face went almost vertical in that position but was comfortable with that being slightly contrary to the accepted “angle of your torso” advice you get elsewhere as Monte covers this in the early video.

>

> Then I went to the range and hot a bucket, alternating no turn and slight turn at that club parallel segment. They weren’t all struck nicely, I’m a beginner, I can acept that.

>

> I also moved to the arm parallel stage, this was less consistent,and I kept reminding myself that this step works IF the first segment position is reached - so allowed myself to pay more attention to that as well as what I was trying to do to get to parallel and that seemed to help.

>

> I think next time (only done one session on this) I need to film the whole session not just a few swings, and review after. I think Ia lso need to get some sort of stand to hold my phone at a better filming height (it was propped up against the back wall)

>

> Since that session I also had my first 1-to-1 lesson and the coach’s first observation was to fix my setup (I was routinely too far away) so I’ll have that to add in next time (hopefully this evening) and see if it gets a bit more consistent.

Thanks @TimmyO , great detail! I think our strategies will end up being very similar. I do plan to video my swings and for each video I’m writing down what I hear as the key takeaways. I also like how Monte knows that X feels like Y for someone but then feels like Z for other. That’s why I tend to like Shawn Clement too. His instruction is more feel based than technically focused. That works best for me.

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

TSR2 16.5 / Ventus TR Red 7X

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

Artisan HC 6-P / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Artisan 49, 54, 59 / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Revolving Putter

I think you guys do it right, watch the entire series, get an idea of the big picture, start the the first drills. Don't move on until you can get into reasonable positions at each stage otherwise you are just going to start adding compensations. I would spend a ton of time on the take away and backswing if need be.

I am with Krt22 on this. Watch the whole video and then work on the first two backswing sections being sure to video yourself doing those drills. The video is extremely important as that is how you learn to match your perception of your movements with your actual movements. It is impossible to change a swing if you how you think you are moving doesn't match how you are actually moving. So, start with club parallel to ground backswing and then advance to lead arm parallel to ground. Once you watch the video of a few swings in each drill, you will understand why I think this is a good starting point.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

• 2 months later...

I just bought Efficient Swing and like it. I've been out of the game for 10 years and wanted to a blueprint to rebuild my swing since I don't have any habits ingrained in me anymore.

My question is for the setup, know that Monte said he will be adding videos. But does anyone know Monte's preferred setup position?

Would Gankas' instruction regarding setup (C position, butt tucked, armpits over balls of feet) be consistent with what Monte teaches? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Specifically, which Monte moves/drills will go along with the Tour Striker Planemate?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1