Does any fan really care who wins the Fedex Cup?

manku

The best way I can describe my feelings on the FedEx Cup (and the Players being the 5th major for that matter) is by thinking about it in terms of the Brexit. For the last 3-4 years, the one unavoidable news story has been Brexit. It has gotten to the point now where I will do almost anything I can to avoid listening to the news when they are talking about it. I do the same thing when it comes to the FedEx Cup.

Sure there are moments when it piques my interest and this month will be one of those moments now that the Playoffs have started but in February, there is not a hope in hell that I will have any interest in what they are saying about it.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

The Fedex cup is clearly a contrivance to keep interest in professional golf high as the season winds down. Personally, I think it's a brilliant stroke of marketing and I like the format. Why all the hate? If someone doesn't want to watch, don't.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

> @Nessism said:

> The Fedex cup is clearly a contrivance to keep interest in professional golf high as the season winds down. Personally, I think it's a brilliant stroke of marketing and I like the format. Why all the hate? If someone doesn't want to watch, don't.

Agreed. Look at the field this weekend - strongest SOF of any event this year outside of the majors or the Players.

Without the FedExCup carrot dangling out there, you'd get next to NO big-name players playing virtually all fall on the PGA Tour. Many people have already forgotten that the FedExCup was created largely because of the fan whining that no big-name guys played much golf after the final major of the season with the exception of the Tour Championship. Its come full circle - now fans are whining about the FedExCup and the new schedule.

Golf fans have to decide what they want. If you want to see the big names play in the dog days of summer, the money has to be there....when you start the meat of a season in January, you need to have a reason to be playing in August when pretty much everyone is burned out for the year, tired, nursing some sort of nagging injuries, etc.

> @cdnglf said:

> I don’t get all the FedEx Cup hate either.

>

> “It is a cash grab”.

> Well, duh. It is professional sports.

>

> “It is a handicapped event”

> No, it is a cumulative total and the Tour Championship is no longer a stand-alone tournament. This is good, because 30 man fields are stupid.

>

So they aren’t giving stroke leads at east lake ? And there is no winner at the tournament at Atlanta ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @imakaveli said:

> At the 2018 Tour Championship with the new format Tiger would have been 2nd by one shot, would be fun to see it this year and see Ponte Vedra implode :D

Very underrated point.

If this had been in effect last year, Tiger shoots the lowest score, but Justin Rose is credited with the official win since he had a head start.

Hijinks ensue.

Tiger still would have gotten the OWGR points as if he won though.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @cdnglf said:

> > I don’t get all the FedEx Cup hate either.

> >

> > “It is a cash grab”.

> > Well, duh. It is professional sports.

> >

> > “It is a handicapped event”

> > No, it is a cumulative total and the Tour Championship is no longer a stand-alone tournament. This is good, because 30 man fields are stupid.

> >

>

> So they aren’t giving stroke leads at east lake ? And there is no winner at the tournament at Atlanta ?

>

There is a winner of the Fedex Cup, of which the tournament at Atlanta is a component.

They got rid of the weird two trophy scenario, and all the Fedex points stuff that nobody could do in their heads and cluttered up the broadcast.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @imakaveli said:

> > At the 2018 Tour Championship with the new format Tiger would have been 2nd by one shot, would be fun to see it this year and see Ponte Vedra implode :D

>

> Very underrated point.

>

> If this had been in effect last year, Tiger shoots the lowest score, but Justin Rose is credited with the official win since he had a head start.

> Hijinks ensue.

> Tiger still would have gotten the OWGR points as if he won though.

Yep. That sure would raise viewer numbers for next year. Smh.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > @imakaveli said:

> > > At the 2018 Tour Championship with the new format Tiger would have been 2nd by one shot, would be fun to see it this year and see Ponte Vedra implode :D

> >

> > Very underrated point.

> >

> > If this had been in effect last year, Tiger shoots the lowest score, but Justin Rose is credited with the official win since he had a head start.

> > Hijinks ensue.

> > Tiger still would have gotten the OWGR points as if he won though.

>

> Yep. That sure would raise viewer numbers for next year. Smh.

The way Tiger is playing, it won't be a problem this year.

If Cantlay shoots the lowest score, but Koepka still wins the Tour Championship, I doubt there will be that much grumbling.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @imakaveli said:

> > At the 2018 Tour Championship with the new format Tiger would have been 2nd by one shot, would be fun to see it this year and see Ponte Vedra implode :D

>

> Very underrated point.

>

> If this had been in effect last year, Tiger shoots the lowest score, but Justin Rose is credited with the official win since he had a head start.

> Hijinks ensue.

> Tiger still would have gotten the OWGR points as if he won though.

I agree that the OWGR part is goofy. If you go to the OWGR site, it will count as a win and if you go to the PGA Tour site it won't. Best fix there would be for the OWGR to set a more reasonable field size minimum (at least 50).

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > @imakaveli said:

> > > > At the 2018 Tour Championship with the new format Tiger would have been 2nd by one shot, would be fun to see it this year and see Ponte Vedra implode :D

> > >

> > > Very underrated point.

> > >

> > > If this had been in effect last year, Tiger shoots the lowest score, but Justin Rose is credited with the official win since he had a head start.

> > > Hijinks ensue.

> > > Tiger still would have gotten the OWGR points as if he won though.

> >

> > Yep. That sure would raise viewer numbers for next year. Smh.

>

> The way Tiger is playing, it won't be a problem this year.

>

> If Cantlay shoots the lowest score, but Koepka still wins the Tour Championship, I doubt there will be that much grumbling.

Sure. But flip it around. Rory , DJ or Brooks shoots the lowest score and cantlay wins the tour championship and gets credit for the Atlanta win and there’s issues that tissues wont solve.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @cdnglf said:

> I don’t get all the FedEx Cup hate either.

>

> “It is a cash grab”.

> Well, duh. It is professional sports.

>

> “It is a handicapped event”

> No, it is a cumulative total and the Tour Championship is no longer a stand-alone tournament. This is good, because 30 man fields are stupid.

>

The final is a limited field, handicapped event. The FedExCup leader heading to the TOUR Championship will start at 10-under, second place at 8-under, third 7-under, fourth 6-under and fifth at 5-under. Players ranked 6-10 will start at 4-under, 11-15 at 3-under, 16-20 at 2-under, 21-25 at 1-under and 26-30 at even par.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @cdnglf said:

> > I don’t get all the FedEx Cup hate either.

> >

> > “It is a cash grab”.

> > Well, duh. It is professional sports.

> >

> > “It is a handicapped event”

> > No, it is a cumulative total and the Tour Championship is no longer a stand-alone tournament. This is good, because 30 man fields are stupid.

> >

>

> The final is a limited field, handicapped event. The FedExCup leader heading to the TOUR Championship will start at 10-under, second place at 8-under, third 7-under, fourth 6-under and fifth at 5-under. Players ranked 6-10 will start at 4-under, 11-15 at 3-under, 16-20 at 2-under, 21-25 at 1-under and 26-30 at even par.

The term "handicapped" is being misused. The purpose of a golf handicap is to allow players of different ability levels to compete on more-or-less equal terms.

Fedex Starting Strokes are a way to combine regular season, playoff, and Tour Championship performance into a single number that can be easily tracked by fans.

> @cdnglf said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > > @cdnglf said:

> > > I don’t get all the FedEx Cup hate either.

> > >

> > > “It is a cash grab”.

> > > Well, duh. It is professional sports.

> > >

> > > “It is a handicapped event”

> > > No, it is a cumulative total and the Tour Championship is no longer a stand-alone tournament. This is good, because 30 man fields are stupid.

> > >

> >

> > The final is a limited field, handicapped event. The FedExCup leader heading to the TOUR Championship will start at 10-under, second place at 8-under, third 7-under, fourth 6-under and fifth at 5-under. Players ranked 6-10 will start at 4-under, 11-15 at 3-under, 16-20 at 2-under, 21-25 at 1-under and 26-30 at even par.

>

> The term "handicapped" is being misused. The purpose of a golf handicap is to allow players of different ability levels to compete on more-or-less equal terms.

>

> Fedex Starting Strokes are a way to combine regular season, playoff, and Tour Championship performance into a single number that can be easily tracked by fans.

Call it what you will. But you’re still giving strokes for a head start. Same same.

Flip of to the football analogy. Let’s say you’re at the super bowl. One team wins by 14. But the other team is crowned the super bowl champion because of season long points total . How happy are fans ?

It should be a qualifier for season long to get into playoffs. Then 4 week cumulative tournament. Winner take all. Or 3 weeks of eliminations and the 4th being a shootout from an even start.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @cdnglf said:

> > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > I don’t get all the FedEx Cup hate either.

> > > >

> > > > “It is a cash grab”.

> > > > Well, duh. It is professional sports.

> > > >

> > > > “It is a handicapped event”

> > > > No, it is a cumulative total and the Tour Championship is no longer a stand-alone tournament. This is good, because 30 man fields are stupid.

> > > >

> > >

> > > The final is a limited field, handicapped event. The FedExCup leader heading to the TOUR Championship will start at 10-under, second place at 8-under, third 7-under, fourth 6-under and fifth at 5-under. Players ranked 6-10 will start at 4-under, 11-15 at 3-under, 16-20 at 2-under, 21-25 at 1-under and 26-30 at even par.

> >

> > The term "handicapped" is being misused. The purpose of a golf handicap is to allow players of different ability levels to compete on more-or-less equal terms.

> >

> > Fedex Starting Strokes are a way to combine regular season, playoff, and Tour Championship performance into a single number that can be easily tracked by fans.

>

> Call it what you will. But you’re still giving strokes for a head start. Same same.

>

>

> Flip of to the football analogy. Let’s say you’re at the super bowl. One team wins by 14. But the other team is crowned the super bowl champion because of season long points total . How happy are fans ?

>

> It should be a qualifier for season long to get into playoffs. Then 4 week cumulative tournament. Winner take all.

We'll see how this goes. I appreciate the creativity and the fact that the winner is the winner of the whole thing. If you didn't give strokes like this, it would be a lot less fair to the players that kicked butt in the first two playoffs.

> @chigolfer1 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > I don’t get all the FedEx Cup hate either.

> > > > >

> > > > > “It is a cash grab”.

> > > > > Well, duh. It is professional sports.

> > > > >

> > > > > “It is a handicapped event”

> > > > > No, it is a cumulative total and the Tour Championship is no longer a stand-alone tournament. This is good, because 30 man fields are stupid.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > The final is a limited field, handicapped event. The FedExCup leader heading to the TOUR Championship will start at 10-under, second place at 8-under, third 7-under, fourth 6-under and fifth at 5-under. Players ranked 6-10 will start at 4-under, 11-15 at 3-under, 16-20 at 2-under, 21-25 at 1-under and 26-30 at even par.

> > >

> > > The term "handicapped" is being misused. The purpose of a golf handicap is to allow players of different ability levels to compete on more-or-less equal terms.

> > >

> > > Fedex Starting Strokes are a way to combine regular season, playoff, and Tour Championship performance into a single number that can be easily tracked by fans.

> >

> > Call it what you will. But you’re still giving strokes for a head start. Same same.

> >

> >

> > Flip of to the football analogy. Let’s say you’re at the super bowl. One team wins by 14. But the other team is crowned the super bowl champion because of season long points total . How happy are fans ?

> >

> > It should be a qualifier for season long to get into playoffs. Then 4 week cumulative tournament. Winner take all.

>

> We'll see how this goes. I appreciate the creativity and the fact that the winner is the winner of the whole thing. If you didn't give strokes like this, it would be a lot less fair to the players that kicked butt in the first two playoffs.

Eh. Fair is winning. You can possibly have a winner who plays well first Two then leaks oil to win by holding on for a shot. That’s not really a deserving winner in my book if he pencil whips his way to victory against a guy who shoots low numbers at the end when it should matter most.

This is why I hate change. We always have to suffer through 10 years of testing before they land in the sweet spot.

You’re leaving room for the asterisk to be added to someone’s win in most people’s minds.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @cdnglf said:

> > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > I don’t get all the FedEx Cup hate either.

> > > >

> > > > “It is a cash grab”.

> > > > Well, duh. It is professional sports.

> > > >

> > > > “It is a handicapped event”

> > > > No, it is a cumulative total and the Tour Championship is no longer a stand-alone tournament. This is good, because 30 man fields are stupid.

> > > >

> > >

> > > The final is a limited field, handicapped event. The FedExCup leader heading to the TOUR Championship will start at 10-under, second place at 8-under, third 7-under, fourth 6-under and fifth at 5-under. Players ranked 6-10 will start at 4-under, 11-15 at 3-under, 16-20 at 2-under, 21-25 at 1-under and 26-30 at even par.

> >

> > The term "handicapped" is being misused. The purpose of a golf handicap is to allow players of different ability levels to compete on more-or-less equal terms.

> >

> > Fedex Starting Strokes are a way to combine regular season, playoff, and Tour Championship performance into a single number that can be easily tracked by fans.

>

> Call it what you will. But you’re still giving strokes for a head start. Same same.

>

>

> Flip of to the football analogy. Let’s say you’re at the super bowl. One team wins by 14. But the other team is crowned the super bowl champion because of season long points total . How happy are fans ?

>

> It should be a qualifier for season long to get into playoffs. Then 4 week cumulative tournament. Winner take all. Or 3 weeks of eliminations and the 4th being a shootout from an even start.

Football is completely different. It has lower-variance outcomes, a much smaller number of competitors, match play, home field advantage, byes...

There are other formats that could work.. the 4 week cumulative tournament might be good (although I think most would agree that finishing during the regular season deserves some sort of advantage over 125th). Ultimately though, there is always going to be tension between rewarding overall performance and final event “drama”. In the first year, Tiger was dominant during the regular season and he locked up the Fedex Cup before the Tour Championship started. People complained about the lack of drama, but there was no debating that he had been the best player that year. Vijay locked it up early the second year by winning a WGC and the first two playoff events. He wasn't the best player of the whole season, but he was the best player in the playoffs. Then the PGA Tour changed the format and there was more "drama", but at the cost of gimmicky outcomes - for example, Haas won the Fedex Cup with only a single win all season - the tiny field Tour Championship.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > I don’t get all the FedEx Cup hate either.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > “It is a cash grab”.

> > > > > > Well, duh. It is professional sports.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > “It is a handicapped event”

> > > > > > No, it is a cumulative total and the Tour Championship is no longer a stand-alone tournament. This is good, because 30 man fields are stupid.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > The final is a limited field, handicapped event. The FedExCup leader heading to the TOUR Championship will start at 10-under, second place at 8-under, third 7-under, fourth 6-under and fifth at 5-under. Players ranked 6-10 will start at 4-under, 11-15 at 3-under, 16-20 at 2-under, 21-25 at 1-under and 26-30 at even par.

> > > >

> > > > The term "handicapped" is being misused. The purpose of a golf handicap is to allow players of different ability levels to compete on more-or-less equal terms.

> > > >

> > > > Fedex Starting Strokes are a way to combine regular season, playoff, and Tour Championship performance into a single number that can be easily tracked by fans.

> > >

> > > Call it what you will. But you’re still giving strokes for a head start. Same same.

> > >

> > >

> > > Flip of to the football analogy. Let’s say you’re at the super bowl. One team wins by 14. But the other team is crowned the super bowl champion because of season long points total . How happy are fans ?

> > >

> > > It should be a qualifier for season long to get into playoffs. Then 4 week cumulative tournament. Winner take all.

> >

> > We'll see how this goes. I appreciate the creativity and the fact that the winner is the winner of the whole thing. If you didn't give strokes like this, it would be a lot less fair to the players that kicked butt in the first two playoffs.

>

> Eh. Fair is winning. You can possibly have a winner who plays well first Two then leaks oil to win by holding on for a shot. That’s not really a deserving winner in my book if he pencil whips his way to victory against a guy who shoots low numbers at the end when it should matter most.

>

> This is why I hate change. We always have to suffer through 10 years of testing before they land in the sweet spot.

>

> You’re leaving room for the asterisk to be added to someone’s win in most people’s minds.

The leader only has a 2 shot lead. Over 72 holes that's practically nothing. It would be hard to leak any sort of serious oil and still hang on as the winner. I'm sure it's been posted somewhere in this thread but for easy reference:

FedExCup rank

entering East Lake Starting

Strokes

No. 1 10 under

No. 2 8 under

No. 3 7 under

No. 4 6 under

No. 5 5 under

Nos. 6-10 4 under

Nos. 11-15 3 under

Nos. 16-20 2 under

Nos. 21-25 1 under

Nos. 26-30 Even par

> @chigolfer1 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > > I don’t get all the FedEx Cup hate either.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > “It is a cash grab”.

> > > > > > > Well, duh. It is professional sports.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > “It is a handicapped event”

> > > > > > > No, it is a cumulative total and the Tour Championship is no longer a stand-alone tournament. This is good, because 30 man fields are stupid.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The final is a limited field, handicapped event. The FedExCup leader heading to the TOUR Championship will start at 10-under, second place at 8-under, third 7-under, fourth 6-under and fifth at 5-under. Players ranked 6-10 will start at 4-under, 11-15 at 3-under, 16-20 at 2-under, 21-25 at 1-under and 26-30 at even par.

> > > > >

> > > > > The term "handicapped" is being misused. The purpose of a golf handicap is to allow players of different ability levels to compete on more-or-less equal terms.

> > > > >

> > > > > Fedex Starting Strokes are a way to combine regular season, playoff, and Tour Championship performance into a single number that can be easily tracked by fans.

> > > >

> > > > Call it what you will. But you’re still giving strokes for a head start. Same same.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Flip of to the football analogy. Let’s say you’re at the super bowl. One team wins by 14. But the other team is crowned the super bowl champion because of season long points total . How happy are fans ?

> > > >

> > > > It should be a qualifier for season long to get into playoffs. Then 4 week cumulative tournament. Winner take all.

> > >

> > > We'll see how this goes. I appreciate the creativity and the fact that the winner is the winner of the whole thing. If you didn't give strokes like this, it would be a lot less fair to the players that kicked butt in the first two playoffs.

> >

> > Eh. Fair is winning. You can possibly have a winner who plays well first Two then leaks oil to win by holding on for a shot. That’s not really a deserving winner in my book if he pencil whips his way to victory against a guy who shoots low numbers at the end when it should matter most.

> >

> > This is why I hate change. We always have to suffer through 10 years of testing before they land in the sweet spot.

> >

> > You’re leaving room for the asterisk to be added to someone’s win in most people’s minds.

>

> The leader only has a 2 shot lead. Over 72 holes that's practically nothing. It would be hard to leak any sort of serious oil and still hang on as the winner. I'm sure it's been posted somewhere in this thread but for easy reference:

>

> FedExCup rank

> entering East Lake Starting

> Strokes

> No. 1 10 under

> No. 2 8 under

> No. 3 7 under

> No. 4 6 under

> No. 5 5 under

> Nos. 6-10 4 under

> Nos. 11-15 3 under

> Nos. 16-20 2 under

> Nos. 21-25 1 under

> Nos. 26-30 Even par

That’s assuming that the only true challenger can be the #2 or 3 guy. Sure. 2 shots. But even 2 is huge. Huge. Huge. Anybody here who plays competitive... think of the group you play against regularly. How many will you spot 2 shots to ? I’d guess everybody’s going to say none. It will take a guy shooting 62 or 63 to have any chance at winning . ( unless you’re Brooks). Mark it down.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > > > I don’t get all the FedEx Cup hate either.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > “It is a cash grab”.

> > > > > > > > Well, duh. It is professional sports.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > “It is a handicapped event”

> > > > > > > > No, it is a cumulative total and the Tour Championship is no longer a stand-alone tournament. This is good, because 30 man fields are stupid.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The final is a limited field, handicapped event. The FedExCup leader heading to the TOUR Championship will start at 10-under, second place at 8-under, third 7-under, fourth 6-under and fifth at 5-under. Players ranked 6-10 will start at 4-under, 11-15 at 3-under, 16-20 at 2-under, 21-25 at 1-under and 26-30 at even par.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The term "handicapped" is being misused. The purpose of a golf handicap is to allow players of different ability levels to compete on more-or-less equal terms.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Fedex Starting Strokes are a way to combine regular season, playoff, and Tour Championship performance into a single number that can be easily tracked by fans.

> > > > >

> > > > > Call it what you will. But you’re still giving strokes for a head start. Same same.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Flip of to the football analogy. Let’s say you’re at the super bowl. One team wins by 14. But the other team is crowned the super bowl champion because of season long points total . How happy are fans ?

> > > > >

> > > > > It should be a qualifier for season long to get into playoffs. Then 4 week cumulative tournament. Winner take all.

> > > >

> > > > We'll see how this goes. I appreciate the creativity and the fact that the winner is the winner of the whole thing. If you didn't give strokes like this, it would be a lot less fair to the players that kicked butt in the first two playoffs.

> > >

> > > Eh. Fair is winning. You can possibly have a winner who plays well first Two then leaks oil to win by holding on for a shot. That’s not really a deserving winner in my book if he pencil whips his way to victory against a guy who shoots low numbers at the end when it should matter most.

> > >

> > > This is why I hate change. We always have to suffer through 10 years of testing before they land in the sweet spot.

> > >

> > > You’re leaving room for the asterisk to be added to someone’s win in most people’s minds.

> >

> > The leader only has a 2 shot lead. Over 72 holes that's practically nothing. It would be hard to leak any sort of serious oil and still hang on as the winner. I'm sure it's been posted somewhere in this thread but for easy reference:

> >

> > FedExCup rank

> > entering East Lake Starting

> > Strokes

> > No. 1 10 under

> > No. 2 8 under

> > No. 3 7 under

> > No. 4 6 under

> > No. 5 5 under

> > Nos. 6-10 4 under

> > Nos. 11-15 3 under

> > Nos. 16-20 2 under

> > Nos. 21-25 1 under

> > Nos. 26-30 Even par

>

> That’s assuming that the only true challenger can be the #2 or 3 guy. Sure. 2 shots. But even 2 is huge. Huge. Huge. Anybody here who plays competitive... think of the group you play against regularly. How many will you spot 2 shots to ? I’d guess everybody’s going to say none. It will take a guy shooting 62 or 63 to have any chance at winning . ( unless you’re Brooks). Mark it down.

>

>

Over 72 holes, two strokes is "huge?" And, if there are no serious challengers in, say, the top 5, then even with leaking a bit of oil I'd argue he deserves to be the winner. I'll just agree to disagree but, yeah, honestly, I've never played competitive golf so I'm interested in others' opinions on this.

Are you saying you believe there should be no strokes at all and everything is wiped clean for the final tourney? Or, do you believe it should stay with points like before because in this latter scenario, you're obviously also getting a head start.

> @chigolfer1 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > > > > I don’t get all the FedEx Cup hate either.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > “It is a cash grab”.

> > > > > > > > > Well, duh. It is professional sports.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > “It is a handicapped event”

> > > > > > > > > No, it is a cumulative total and the Tour Championship is no longer a stand-alone tournament. This is good, because 30 man fields are stupid.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The final is a limited field, handicapped event. The FedExCup leader heading to the TOUR Championship will start at 10-under, second place at 8-under, third 7-under, fourth 6-under and fifth at 5-under. Players ranked 6-10 will start at 4-under, 11-15 at 3-under, 16-20 at 2-under, 21-25 at 1-under and 26-30 at even par.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The term "handicapped" is being misused. The purpose of a golf handicap is to allow players of different ability levels to compete on more-or-less equal terms.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Fedex Starting Strokes are a way to combine regular season, playoff, and Tour Championship performance into a single number that can be easily tracked by fans.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Call it what you will. But you’re still giving strokes for a head start. Same same.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Flip of to the football analogy. Let’s say you’re at the super bowl. One team wins by 14. But the other team is crowned the super bowl champion because of season long points total . How happy are fans ?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It should be a qualifier for season long to get into playoffs. Then 4 week cumulative tournament. Winner take all.

> > > > >

> > > > > We'll see how this goes. I appreciate the creativity and the fact that the winner is the winner of the whole thing. If you didn't give strokes like this, it would be a lot less fair to the players that kicked butt in the first two playoffs.

> > > >

> > > > Eh. Fair is winning. You can possibly have a winner who plays well first Two then leaks oil to win by holding on for a shot. That’s not really a deserving winner in my book if he pencil whips his way to victory against a guy who shoots low numbers at the end when it should matter most.

> > > >

> > > > This is why I hate change. We always have to suffer through 10 years of testing before they land in the sweet spot.

> > > >

> > > > You’re leaving room for the asterisk to be added to someone’s win in most people’s minds.

> > >

> > > The leader only has a 2 shot lead. Over 72 holes that's practically nothing. It would be hard to leak any sort of serious oil and still hang on as the winner. I'm sure it's been posted somewhere in this thread but for easy reference:

> > >

> > > FedExCup rank

> > > entering East Lake Starting

> > > Strokes

> > > No. 1 10 under

> > > No. 2 8 under

> > > No. 3 7 under

> > > No. 4 6 under

> > > No. 5 5 under

> > > Nos. 6-10 4 under

> > > Nos. 11-15 3 under

> > > Nos. 16-20 2 under

> > > Nos. 21-25 1 under

> > > Nos. 26-30 Even par

> >

> > That’s assuming that the only true challenger can be the #2 or 3 guy. Sure. 2 shots. But even 2 is huge. Huge. Huge. Anybody here who plays competitive... think of the group you play against regularly. How many will you spot 2 shots to ? I’d guess everybody’s going to say none. It will take a guy shooting 62 or 63 to have any chance at winning . ( unless you’re Brooks). Mark it down.

> >

> >

>

> Over 72 holes, two strokes is "huge?" And, if there are no serious challengers in, say, the top 5, then even with leaking a bit of oil I'd argue he deserves to be the winner. I'll just agree to disagree but, yeah, honestly, I've never played competitive golf so I'm interested in others' opinions on this.

True. Over 72 it’s lessened a bit. I was thinking 18.

But still. The idea of giving shots goes against the mind of any Player.

So you might have a guy shoot 16 under for 4 days and lose to a guy who’s -7 on the card for the week. I just see loads of room for epic fail here.

It’s a case of fixing something that wasn’t broken.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > > > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > > > > > I don’t get all the FedEx Cup hate either.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > “It is a cash grab”.

> > > > > > > > > > Well, duh. It is professional sports.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > “It is a handicapped event”

> > > > > > > > > > No, it is a cumulative total and the Tour Championship is no longer a stand-alone tournament. This is good, because 30 man fields are stupid.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > The final is a limited field, handicapped event. The FedExCup leader heading to the TOUR Championship will start at 10-under, second place at 8-under, third 7-under, fourth 6-under and fifth at 5-under. Players ranked 6-10 will start at 4-under, 11-15 at 3-under, 16-20 at 2-under, 21-25 at 1-under and 26-30 at even par.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The term "handicapped" is being misused. The purpose of a golf handicap is to allow players of different ability levels to compete on more-or-less equal terms.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Fedex Starting Strokes are a way to combine regular season, playoff, and Tour Championship performance into a single number that can be easily tracked by fans.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Call it what you will. But you’re still giving strokes for a head start. Same same.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Flip of to the football analogy. Let’s say you’re at the super bowl. One team wins by 14. But the other team is crowned the super bowl champion because of season long points total . How happy are fans ?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It should be a qualifier for season long to get into playoffs. Then 4 week cumulative tournament. Winner take all.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > We'll see how this goes. I appreciate the creativity and the fact that the winner is the winner of the whole thing. If you didn't give strokes like this, it would be a lot less fair to the players that kicked butt in the first two playoffs.

> > > > >

> > > > > Eh. Fair is winning. You can possibly have a winner who plays well first Two then leaks oil to win by holding on for a shot. That’s not really a deserving winner in my book if he pencil whips his way to victory against a guy who shoots low numbers at the end when it should matter most.

> > > > >

> > > > > This is why I hate change. We always have to suffer through 10 years of testing before they land in the sweet spot.

> > > > >

> > > > > You’re leaving room for the asterisk to be added to someone’s win in most people’s minds.

> > > >

> > > > The leader only has a 2 shot lead. Over 72 holes that's practically nothing. It would be hard to leak any sort of serious oil and still hang on as the winner. I'm sure it's been posted somewhere in this thread but for easy reference:

> > > >

> > > > FedExCup rank

> > > > entering East Lake Starting

> > > > Strokes

> > > > No. 1 10 under

> > > > No. 2 8 under

> > > > No. 3 7 under

> > > > No. 4 6 under

> > > > No. 5 5 under

> > > > Nos. 6-10 4 under

> > > > Nos. 11-15 3 under

> > > > Nos. 16-20 2 under

> > > > Nos. 21-25 1 under

> > > > Nos. 26-30 Even par

> > >

> > > That’s assuming that the only true challenger can be the #2 or 3 guy. Sure. 2 shots. But even 2 is huge. Huge. Huge. Anybody here who plays competitive... think of the group you play against regularly. How many will you spot 2 shots to ? I’d guess everybody’s going to say none. It will take a guy shooting 62 or 63 to have any chance at winning . ( unless you’re Brooks). Mark it down.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Over 72 holes, two strokes is "huge?" And, if there are no serious challengers in, say, the top 5, then even with leaking a bit of oil I'd argue he deserves to be the winner. I'll just agree to disagree but, yeah, honestly, I've never played competitive golf so I'm interested in others' opinions on this.

>

> True. Over 72 it’s lessened a bit. I was thinking 18.

>

> But still. The idea of giving shots goes against the mind of any Player.

>

> So you might have a guy shoot 16 under for 4 days and lose to a guy who’s -7 on the card for the week. I just see loads of room for epic fail here.

>

> It’s a case of fixing something that wasn’t broken.

The point you seem to be missing is that in the former scenario, the fed ex leader got a head start as well through the points system and didn't have to shoot the best score in the last tourney to win. The scenario you described above could happen in the old format. So, that's why I'm not sure what you're arguing the format should be.

> @chigolfer1 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > > > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > > > > > > I don’t get all the FedEx Cup hate either.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > “It is a cash grab”.

> > > > > > > > > > > Well, duh. It is professional sports.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > “It is a handicapped event”

> > > > > > > > > > > No, it is a cumulative total and the Tour Championship is no longer a stand-alone tournament. This is good, because 30 man fields are stupid.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > The final is a limited field, handicapped event. The FedExCup leader heading to the TOUR Championship will start at 10-under, second place at 8-under, third 7-under, fourth 6-under and fifth at 5-under. Players ranked 6-10 will start at 4-under, 11-15 at 3-under, 16-20 at 2-under, 21-25 at 1-under and 26-30 at even par.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > The term "handicapped" is being misused. The purpose of a golf handicap is to allow players of different ability levels to compete on more-or-less equal terms.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Fedex Starting Strokes are a way to combine regular season, playoff, and Tour Championship performance into a single number that can be easily tracked by fans.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Call it what you will. But you’re still giving strokes for a head start. Same same.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Flip of to the football analogy. Let’s say you’re at the super bowl. One team wins by 14. But the other team is crowned the super bowl champion because of season long points total . How happy are fans ?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > It should be a qualifier for season long to get into playoffs. Then 4 week cumulative tournament. Winner take all.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > We'll see how this goes. I appreciate the creativity and the fact that the winner is the winner of the whole thing. If you didn't give strokes like this, it would be a lot less fair to the players that kicked butt in the first two playoffs.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Eh. Fair is winning. You can possibly have a winner who plays well first Two then leaks oil to win by holding on for a shot. That’s not really a deserving winner in my book if he pencil whips his way to victory against a guy who shoots low numbers at the end when it should matter most.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > This is why I hate change. We always have to suffer through 10 years of testing before they land in the sweet spot.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You’re leaving room for the asterisk to be added to someone’s win in most people’s minds.

> > > > >

> > > > > The leader only has a 2 shot lead. Over 72 holes that's practically nothing. It would be hard to leak any sort of serious oil and still hang on as the winner. I'm sure it's been posted somewhere in this thread but for easy reference:

> > > > >

> > > > > FedExCup rank

> > > > > entering East Lake Starting

> > > > > Strokes

> > > > > No. 1 10 under

> > > > > No. 2 8 under

> > > > > No. 3 7 under

> > > > > No. 4 6 under

> > > > > No. 5 5 under

> > > > > Nos. 6-10 4 under

> > > > > Nos. 11-15 3 under

> > > > > Nos. 16-20 2 under

> > > > > Nos. 21-25 1 under

> > > > > Nos. 26-30 Even par

> > > >

> > > > That’s assuming that the only true challenger can be the #2 or 3 guy. Sure. 2 shots. But even 2 is huge. Huge. Huge. Anybody here who plays competitive... think of the group you play against regularly. How many will you spot 2 shots to ? I’d guess everybody’s going to say none. It will take a guy shooting 62 or 63 to have any chance at winning . ( unless you’re Brooks). Mark it down.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Over 72 holes, two strokes is "huge?" And, if there are no serious challengers in, say, the top 5, then even with leaking a bit of oil I'd argue he deserves to be the winner. I'll just agree to disagree but, yeah, honestly, I've never played competitive golf so I'm interested in others' opinions on this.

> >

> > True. Over 72 it’s lessened a bit. I was thinking 18.

> >

> > But still. The idea of giving shots goes against the mind of any Player.

> >

> > So you might have a guy shoot 16 under for 4 days and lose to a guy who’s -7 on the card for the week. I just see loads of room for epic fail here.

> >

> > It’s a case of fixing something that wasn’t broken.

>

> The point you seem to be missing is that in the former scenario, the fed ex leader got a head start as well through the points system and didn't have to shoot the best score in the last tourney to win. The scenario you described above could happen in the old format. So, that's why I'm not sure what you're arguing the format should be.

But the difference is the tournament itself. I never cared about the cup. But did watch and care who won the event. Now I’m sure that makes me odd. I just don’t have a dog in the all year points fight. That’s only to try to entice players to play more and more fans to watch. Individual performance is what I enjoy. Now if I understand it correctly. You can shoot the lowest score for 4 days at east lake , and not win. Not get credit for the win etc. yet a pga tour win will go to the Fedex cup winner. Doesn’t pass the sniff test.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > I don’t get all the FedEx Cup hate either.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > “It is a cash grab”.

> > > > > > > > > > > > Well, duh. It is professional sports.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > “It is a handicapped event”

> > > > > > > > > > > > No, it is a cumulative total and the Tour Championship is no longer a stand-alone tournament. This is good, because 30 man fields are stupid.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > The final is a limited field, handicapped event. The FedExCup leader heading to the TOUR Championship will start at 10-under, second place at 8-under, third 7-under, fourth 6-under and fifth at 5-under. Players ranked 6-10 will start at 4-under, 11-15 at 3-under, 16-20 at 2-under, 21-25 at 1-under and 26-30 at even par.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > The term "handicapped" is being misused. The purpose of a golf handicap is to allow players of different ability levels to compete on more-or-less equal terms.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Fedex Starting Strokes are a way to combine regular season, playoff, and Tour Championship performance into a single number that can be easily tracked by fans.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Call it what you will. But you’re still giving strokes for a head start. Same same.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Flip of to the football analogy. Let’s say you’re at the super bowl. One team wins by 14. But the other team is crowned the super bowl champion because of season long points total . How happy are fans ?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > It should be a qualifier for season long to get into playoffs. Then 4 week cumulative tournament. Winner take all.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > We'll see how this goes. I appreciate the creativity and the fact that the winner is the winner of the whole thing. If you didn't give strokes like this, it would be a lot less fair to the players that kicked butt in the first two playoffs.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Eh. Fair is winning. You can possibly have a winner who plays well first Two then leaks oil to win by holding on for a shot. That’s not really a deserving winner in my book if he pencil whips his way to victory against a guy who shoots low numbers at the end when it should matter most.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > This is why I hate change. We always have to suffer through 10 years of testing before they land in the sweet spot.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You’re leaving room for the asterisk to be added to someone’s win in most people’s minds.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The leader only has a 2 shot lead. Over 72 holes that's practically nothing. It would be hard to leak any sort of serious oil and still hang on as the winner. I'm sure it's been posted somewhere in this thread but for easy reference:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > FedExCup rank

> > > > > > entering East Lake Starting

> > > > > > Strokes

> > > > > > No. 1 10 under

> > > > > > No. 2 8 under

> > > > > > No. 3 7 under

> > > > > > No. 4 6 under

> > > > > > No. 5 5 under

> > > > > > Nos. 6-10 4 under

> > > > > > Nos. 11-15 3 under

> > > > > > Nos. 16-20 2 under

> > > > > > Nos. 21-25 1 under

> > > > > > Nos. 26-30 Even par

> > > > >

> > > > > That’s assuming that the only true challenger can be the #2 or 3 guy. Sure. 2 shots. But even 2 is huge. Huge. Huge. Anybody here who plays competitive... think of the group you play against regularly. How many will you spot 2 shots to ? I’d guess everybody’s going to say none. It will take a guy shooting 62 or 63 to have any chance at winning . ( unless you’re Brooks). Mark it down.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Over 72 holes, two strokes is "huge?" And, if there are no serious challengers in, say, the top 5, then even with leaking a bit of oil I'd argue he deserves to be the winner. I'll just agree to disagree but, yeah, honestly, I've never played competitive golf so I'm interested in others' opinions on this.

> > >

> > > True. Over 72 it’s lessened a bit. I was thinking 18.

> > >

> > > But still. The idea of giving shots goes against the mind of any Player.

> > >

> > > So you might have a guy shoot 16 under for 4 days and lose to a guy who’s -7 on the card for the week. I just see loads of room for epic fail here.

> > >

> > > It’s a case of fixing something that wasn’t broken.

> >

> > The point you seem to be missing is that in the former scenario, the fed ex leader got a head start as well through the points system and didn't have to shoot the best score in the last tourney to win. The scenario you described above could happen in the old format. So, that's why I'm not sure what you're arguing the format should be.

>

> But the difference is the tournament itself. I never cared about the cup. But did watch and care who won the event. Now I’m sure that makes me odd. I just don’t have a dog in the all year points fight. That’s only to try to entice players to play more and more fans to watch. Individual performance is what I enjoy. Now if I understand it correctly. You can shoot the lowest score for 4 days at east lake , and not win. Not get credit for the win etc. yet a pga tour win will go to the Fedex cup winner. Doesn’t pass the sniff test.

Ah, fair enough. I didn't understand that was the angle you were coming from but, yeah, the winner of the event doesn't have to shoot the lowest score.

> @Nessism said:

> The Fedex cup is clearly a contrivance to keep interest in professional golf high as the season winds down. Personally, I think it's a brilliant stroke of marketing and I like the format. Why all the hate? If someone doesn't want to watch, don't.

And with the wraparound season we get to see young talent try to get their footing while the big names take a break. Sweet deal for true golf fans and golf nuts like myself.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > I don’t get all the FedEx Cup hate either.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > “It is a cash grab”.

> > > > > > > > > > > > Well, duh. It is professional sports.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > “It is a handicapped event”

> > > > > > > > > > > > No, it is a cumulative total and the Tour Championship is no longer a stand-alone tournament. This is good, because 30 man fields are stupid.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > The final is a limited field, handicapped event. The FedExCup leader heading to the TOUR Championship will start at 10-under, second place at 8-under, third 7-under, fourth 6-under and fifth at 5-under. Players ranked 6-10 will start at 4-under, 11-15 at 3-under, 16-20 at 2-under, 21-25 at 1-under and 26-30 at even par.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > The term "handicapped" is being misused. The purpose of a golf handicap is to allow players of different ability levels to compete on more-or-less equal terms.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Fedex Starting Strokes are a way to combine regular season, playoff, and Tour Championship performance into a single number that can be easily tracked by fans.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Call it what you will. But you’re still giving strokes for a head start. Same same.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Flip of to the football analogy. Let’s say you’re at the super bowl. One team wins by 14. But the other team is crowned the super bowl champion because of season long points total . How happy are fans ?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > It should be a qualifier for season long to get into playoffs. Then 4 week cumulative tournament. Winner take all.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > We'll see how this goes. I appreciate the creativity and the fact that the winner is the winner of the whole thing. If you didn't give strokes like this, it would be a lot less fair to the players that kicked butt in the first two playoffs.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Eh. Fair is winning. You can possibly have a winner who plays well first Two then leaks oil to win by holding on for a shot. That’s not really a deserving winner in my book if he pencil whips his way to victory against a guy who shoots low numbers at the end when it should matter most.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > This is why I hate change. We always have to suffer through 10 years of testing before they land in the sweet spot.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You’re leaving room for the asterisk to be added to someone’s win in most people’s minds.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The leader only has a 2 shot lead. Over 72 holes that's practically nothing. It would be hard to leak any sort of serious oil and still hang on as the winner. I'm sure it's been posted somewhere in this thread but for easy reference:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > FedExCup rank

> > > > > > entering East Lake Starting

> > > > > > Strokes

> > > > > > No. 1 10 under

> > > > > > No. 2 8 under

> > > > > > No. 3 7 under

> > > > > > No. 4 6 under

> > > > > > No. 5 5 under

> > > > > > Nos. 6-10 4 under

> > > > > > Nos. 11-15 3 under

> > > > > > Nos. 16-20 2 under

> > > > > > Nos. 21-25 1 under

> > > > > > Nos. 26-30 Even par

> > > > >

> > > > > That’s assuming that the only true challenger can be the #2 or 3 guy. Sure. 2 shots. But even 2 is huge. Huge. Huge. Anybody here who plays competitive... think of the group you play against regularly. How many will you spot 2 shots to ? I’d guess everybody’s going to say none. It will take a guy shooting 62 or 63 to have any chance at winning . ( unless you’re Brooks). Mark it down.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Over 72 holes, two strokes is "huge?" And, if there are no serious challengers in, say, the top 5, then even with leaking a bit of oil I'd argue he deserves to be the winner. I'll just agree to disagree but, yeah, honestly, I've never played competitive golf so I'm interested in others' opinions on this.

> > >

> > > True. Over 72 it’s lessened a bit. I was thinking 18.

> > >

> > > But still. The idea of giving shots goes against the mind of any Player.

> > >

> > > So you might have a guy shoot 16 under for 4 days and lose to a guy who’s -7 on the card for the week. I just see loads of room for epic fail here.

> > >

> > > It’s a case of fixing something that wasn’t broken.

> >

> > The point you seem to be missing is that in the former scenario, the fed ex leader got a head start as well through the points system and didn't have to shoot the best score in the last tourney to win. The scenario you described above could happen in the old format. So, that's why I'm not sure what you're arguing the format should be.

>

> But the difference is the tournament itself. I never cared about the cup. But did watch and care who won the event. Now I’m sure that makes me odd. I just don’t have a dog in the all year points fight. That’s only to try to entice players to play more and more fans to watch. Individual performance is what I enjoy. Now if I understand it correctly. You can shoot the lowest score for 4 days at east lake , and not win. Not get credit for the win etc. yet a pga tour win will go to the Fedex cup winner. Doesn’t pass the sniff test.

It all depends on whether you view it as a single tournament or the last in a sequence of tournaments. The advantage the leader gets at Eastlake is sort of akin to going into game 6 of the world series, one team will be up 3-2 and only have to win one game to get the championship while the other team has to win two games. unfair? no. because we view all the games as connected. if you view all 3 playoffs weeks as connected, then it makes a lot of sense, just like multiple games in the World Series, some has a series lead, not just that individual game. if you only like 4 day golf tournaments instead of 3week multi-stage tournaments, then yeah, its weird, but tour is just trying to make a different competition out of this than a standard single week event. not sure if this version will work, but I get the idea of having some multi-week thing thats different than traditional single week tournaments.