The strange case of Tiger Woods

wmblake2000 ·  
wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers  6026WRX Points: 767Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees

His play and evidently his back make his Masters win even more remarkable. I hope he's not done but seems like something has happened since end of last year and now to his back... or his motivation. I mean, maybe winning the Masters answered something for him and without that fire, the back becomes more sensitive.

It's just odd to me that a year ago he was winning Tour Championship, then the Masters and then... poof.

Posted:
Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
Callawy Epic 5W 
Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Mizuno MP4 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
Macgregor 1025M 4-W, KBS tour v, 110 S
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
Cameron Futura 5W

Comments

• justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members  3158WRX Points: 753Handicap: I.Q.Posts: 3,158 Titanium Tees

He’s old, surgically repaired and stupid filthy rich.......I don’t bemoan his performance.

Thankful I got to watch him in his dominating prime. There will never be another.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members  6074WRX Points: 1,536Handicap: 3Posts: 6,074 Titanium Tees

If he is going to have to deal with the back stiffening up as much as it seems to have been the last few months, I really wonder if there really is the chance that he going to get in enough “reps” to be the golfer that we thought he was going to be after East Lake and Augusta.

During the practice rounds this week it looks like he had been out there with BK and Dj and I must admit that even the sight of that worried me. Two guys who would be absolutely bombing it had me thinking that Tiger would be out there just trying to keep up with him and that would do him no good.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 712U 3 Stiff Graphite Design Tour AD DI
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members  11744WRX Points: 1,555Posts: 11,744 Titanium Tees

Jack wasn't exactly tearing up the Tour before or after the '86 Masters. In fact, I don't think he won again after that miraculous 18th major win.

Jack was 46 and Tiger is 43 but I think Tiger's body is "older" than Jack's was at the same age by a fair bit. Bad spine trumps bad pelvis for a golfer, I'd think. Although neither is anything other than miserable.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • tideridertiderider Members  2999WRX Points: 2,029Handicap: 5ishPosts: 2,999 Titanium Tees

jack didn't put a whole lot of effort into maintaining his play ... tiger would, but the back won't let him ... he probably doesn't have any idea when/if the back will get better, same as us ... just takes it week/week ...

Posted:
  • 16kid16kid Members  45WRX Points: 63Posts: 45 Bunkers

I adored Tiger as a kid. I just feel his win at Torrey Pines on a broken leg was way more remarkable than winning the Masters, not playing at all and then falling of the face of the earth. That’s sad.

Posted:
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members  1025WRX Points: 462Posts: 1,025 Platinum Tees

I have nothing to say.....this coming from someone who said that he should retire last year before he won the Tour Championship and The Masters. I have learned my lesson! No telling what Woody might do in the game of golf...

Posted:

Advertisement
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers  6026WRX Points: 767Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees

On -, @16kid said:

I adored Tiger as a kid. I just feel his win at Torrey Pines on a broken leg was way more remarkable than winning the Masters, not playing at all and then falling of the face of the earth. That’s sad.

That tournament was incredible. Use any superlative you want. I was riveted and don't think any sporting event since has so fully captured me.

Posted:
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
    Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
    Cameron Futura 5W

• 3whacker3whacker Members  525WRX Points: 194Posts: 525 Golden Tee

for the TW faithful, its going to be very difficult to accept reality that he can't play at the highest level forever..nobody wants to see the decline of their sports heroes because it makes them mere mortals

Posted:
  • johnsegjohnseg Members  350WRX Points: 116Posts: 350 Greens

I don't expect him to play the rest of the year. It is seems that physically he can't prepare to play. When he gets to a tournament there is a ton of rust. Add to that, he looks very stiff and sore. Not a good sign of things to come.

Posted:
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers  12552WRX Points: 1,559Handicap: 3.2Posts: 12,552 Titanium Tees

On -, @JaNelson38 said:

There's nothing "strange" about the case of Tiger Woods. He's over a decade past his prime, his body is broken and is basically repaired just good enough to live decently well, and he is obviously cognizant towards making sure he doesn't re-injure it again. And the media fawning over Tiger after winning the green jacket and throwing unrealistic expectations on him didn't help either.

I think Tiger has the talent and will to win many more times, but his body just won't let him. It honestly won't shock me in the least to see him officially hang it up very soon and play nothing but his tournament and the majors, very similar to how Jack faded away from professional golf. He's got nothing left to prove...everyone knows he is one of the best of all-time, and he completed his comeback with a major championship. But he has everything to lose if he gives himself another debilitating back injury that destroys the quality of life with his children moving forward. I think Tiger is in a very similar spot to where Jack was after he won at Augusta in 1986...everything came together that one week, one last time. But thereafter Jack played very sparingly on Tour and when he did play, it didn't go well. We might be seeing the same thing here too with Tiger.

All correct except Jack did play about the same number of events for the next 10-12 years. He just split them near 50-50 on the Senior circuit and regular tour. If Tiger is to cut back because of the back I do not see him playing Champions tour at all.

Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

Advertisement
  • Pinging77Pinging77 NMMembers  191WRX Points: 187Handicap: 3.0Posts: 191 Fairways

Pretty obvious the fusion and surrounding area was in great shape last year with many tournaments and contending in lots of the majors. Swing speed up with the big boys...182. It appears the Masters was his Waterloo. Since then he looks very worn out and Swing Speed is 168-172 range. That is a huge fall off. Since he isn’t dropping to his knees after shots the fusion appears to be holding and not allowing nerve impinging. But as age progresses the muscles don’t fire as quickly and arthritis is the result of a lifetime of excessive use. The odd thing is it looks like it happened overnight. With his good and bad days routine, it becomes less and less obvious there will be wins in the future. Practice and 4 straight good days are unlikely. Very likely the Masters was his equivalent of Jacks 1986 Masters. Although Jack continued to occasionally contend in a few majors he never won another regular tour event. Jack did admit in his later years he had back problems and a bad hip ( that was eventually replaced). Read that Jack in recent years has been getting stem cell treatments in his back for relief. Not sure if Jack confirmed that. Not sure how much use stem cells are at this point in their development , remember Nancy Lopez got her knees injected with stem cells. She finally just had replacements..

Posted:
  • Pent08Pent08 Members  1215WRX Points: 506Posts: 1,215 Platinum Tees

It's tough to watch considering the build up and what we've been conditioned to expect. I just hope he can eclipse Snead before it's all said and done.

Posted:
  • Titleist 670Titleist 670 Members  1881WRX Points: 196Posts: 1,881 Platinum Tees

People are confused by this?

He won the Masters and hasn't really cared to practice/play much since. Of course he isn't contending.

Posted:
  • Dave230Dave230 Members  3900WRX Points: 328Posts: 3,900 Titanium Tees

When Tiger won the Masters, everything had been leading up to that moment for years, there were doubts he'd ever play again etc and he amazingly pulled another major out of the bag. You saw it in his reaction when he won, he was overjoyed in a way he usually isn't, he has learned to celebrate those victories because he knew they wouldn't come around as often. When you build up your life for that moment and it happens, motivation is a little harder, even for someone like Tiger. Another major was always possible if everything went right but let's be honest 4 majors from this point is just an unrealistic goal at his age. So it's hard to get up every day and grind the same when it's so far in the distance.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members  6039WRX Points: 2,886Handicap: 10.8Posts: 6,039 Titanium Tees

Won The Masters.
    Then lost a fiddle contest with The Devil while in Georgia.
    Done.

Posted:
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • jwhite86jwhite86 ClubWRX  942WRX Points: 341Handicap: 12Posts: 942 ClubWRX

On -, @farmer said:

On -, @Titleist 670 said:

On -, @16kid said:

I love how people refer to it as a broken leg. Never gets old.

There was a bone nearly poking out. He would pop it back into place, and then bungee cord his wedge onto the leg. Everyone knows that.

But it only hurt when he didn't flush a shot... any mishit caused him to fall down in pain and re-bungee the wedge to his leg

Posted:
    WITB
    Driver: TS2 10.5 - Diamana DF 60 TX
    3 Wood: 915 F 16.5 - Blueboard
    5 Wood: 909 F2 18.5 - Blueboard
    Hybrids: 816 H1 21 & 25 - Blueboard
    Irons 6-PW: 765 - PX LZ
    Wedges: 50º Ping Glide 2.0
    54º, 60º PXG 0311 - KBS
    Putter: Newport Mil-Spec

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651462-jwhite86-witb/
  • Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Members  2795WRX Points: 1,087Posts: 2,795 Titanium Tees

On -, @jwhite86 said:

On -, @farmer said:

On -, @Titleist 670 said:

On -, @16kid said:

I love how people refer to it as a broken leg. Never gets old.

There was a bone nearly poking out. He would pop it back into place, and then bungee cord his wedge onto the leg. Everyone knows that.

But it only hurt when he didn't flush a shot... any mishit caused him to fall down in pain and re-bungee the wedge to his leg

Yeah, the mis-hits caused the pain. It wasn't the other way around at all.

Posted:
    8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two

Advertisement
  • J_TizzleJ_Tizzle Hello Members  3532WRX Points: 206Posts: 3,532 Titanium Tees

its going to just be week to week for Tiger I think going forward.

If he wants to focus on golf, then he will. ****, skip the British or anything where he has to be in a plane for more than 3-4 hours. But part of me thinks, he's going to focus on the Masters every year first and foremost, and then if one of the other ones fall when he's feeling frisky then he'll give it a run, otherwise it'll be missed cuts. Can he win 3 more Masters is the question.

Posted:
    G410 10.5* LST - just whatever at this point - F6 18* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Glide Stealth 56* ( at 55*) and 60* - BG F22

https://Instagram/avgjoesgolf/
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members  18116WRX Points: 1,051Posts: 18,116 Titanium Tees

On -, @Darth Putter said:

Won The Masters.
    Done.

The Devil had the better backing band. And more soul. Mostly stolen ones, but still.

Posted:
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • LokiLoki Members  1281WRX Points: 211Posts: 1,281 Platinum Tees

On -, @Titleist99 said:

I have nothing to say.....this coming from someone who said that he should retire last year before he won the Tour Championship and The Masters. I have learned my lesson! No telling what Woody might do in the game of golf...

"Woody?"

Posted:
  • KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members  305WRX Points: 248Posts: 305 Greens

His iron play has been subpar since the Masters.

Posted:
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members  28888WRX Points: 5,696Posts: 28,888 Titanium Tees

On -, @Darth Putter said:

Won The Masters.
    Done.

When the Devil finished, Tiger said, "Well, you're pretty good ol' son
    But sit down in that cart right there and let me show you how it's done."

Posted:

Advertisement
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers  6026WRX Points: 767Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees

Because the mind and the body are not entirely separate things, my theory is winning the Masters after all the ... stuff... was such a big deal for him that afterwards his willingness/ability to put up with the back diminished. But who knows. It just strikes me as really odd that he won the Masters and immediately fell off the cliff.

Posted:
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
    Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
    Cameron Futura 5W

• FadeFade Members  1343WRX Points: 248Posts: 1,343 Platinum Tees

I have to think that he will be back to try to tie or surpass Snead...

Posted:
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members  28888WRX Points: 5,696Posts: 28,888 Titanium Tees

On -, @wmblake2000 said:

Because the mind and the body are not entirely separate things, my theory is winning the Masters after all the ... stuff... was such a big deal for him that afterwards his willingness/ability to put up with the back diminished. But who knows. It just strikes me as really odd that he won the Masters and immediately fell off the cliff.

You said it. His body was kept together by his mind.

Remarkable mostly because of how long he endured the pain.

Loosely applied,

“It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.”

-Julius Caesar

Posted:

Advertisement
  • NoodleSaladNoodleSalad Members  189WRX Points: 99Posts: 189 Fairways

I can't imagine the Presidents Cup distractions are helping any. He actually has to pay attention to how other people are playing. That isn't Tiger.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.