Partial Scholarships and other issues that college players face

The commonly heard statement that "x number of girl's golf scholarships go unused," is very misleading and not entirely accurate. Yes, there are scholarship opportunities for girls who can play reasonably well, but they're not going to be at highly desirable schools. Competition for a spot on the roster at top athletic schools and/or top academic institutions is incredibly fierce.

My older daughter (not a golfer) went to a very good school in the northeast. She had a 29 on her ACT and a good GPA. Full tuition was $64k and they gave her $14k in academic/merit to attend their business school. I paid $50k the first 2 years. My promise to her was that I'd fund the equivalent of 100% of a state school tuition (NJ). Anything above that total was on her. Well, after realizing that she'd burned through $100k in her first 2 years (nearly all that I'd promised), she became incredibly resourceful and found an additional over $20k in scholarship money for each of her remaining 2 years. Most of it came in smaller increments thru foundations associated with her major. The largest was $10k per year for the remaining 2. She wrote essays, had oral interviews, and rigorous application processes, but she did it all on her own. Sometimes having "skin in the game" can be a real motivator...lol!

My younger daughter is a rising junior at a really good private school with an excellent academic reputation and a mid-major type D1 athletically. She's on a 100% full athletic scholarship. The coach promised her 4 years at full, and so far has held true to his word.

• Like 1

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @kekoa said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @kekoa said:

> > > @heavy_hitter

> > > You say it is easier to get a full ride being smart then athletic, but sometimes this isn't the case either. Everyday I speak to an associate who has a kid entering college they tell me how insanely competitive it is on the scholastic side. I mean there are kids where I live who have 4.4 GPA's and solid SAT's who can't get into state schools let alone get any scholarship money unless they are underprivileged. With that said, I also feel like these same kids have spent so much time on their studies that they forgot to round themselves out by being involved in anything else but scholastics.

> >

> > I would love to know what state schools you are not getting into with a 4.4 GPA and "solid" (which is a very vague word) SAT scores. You may be talking about some elites like UCLA or Berkley but those are beyond the norm of a typical "state school".

>

> Ucla, usc, berkely, purdue, penn state. From what I was told the kids sat’s were in the high 1,300’s

If they had high 1300s and had a 4.3 I am going to say what is very uncomfortable: their parents or the child made some serious mistakes in their application. Even at the highest of those schools UCLA/Berkely they are well within the average numbers for acceptance rate. For some of your other schools (Penn State) they are WELL ABOVE the average incoming freshmen. Something is a miss with your friend's experiences.

> @CTgolf said:

> > @double_d said:

> > **Auburn (fine institution) for instance will give free tuition to anyone with a 33+ ACT.**

> >

> >

> > A 33+ on the ACT puts you at or above the 98th percentile of people who took the test, and based on Auburn’s 80% acceptance rate, in general, (wow that is high), I would expect some academic money at Auburn.

> >

> > Seriously 80% is one of the highest I have seen. Basically, they take anybody. So a high ACT would boost their numbers, and $ would tempt kids away from more competitive schools with lower acceptance rates.

> >

> > Regardless, it may be a good school. What is a good school or the right school can be a very individual thing.

>

> This is spot on

>

> With respect to the ability to get merit aid (grants for academic excellence, but also athletic scholarships), it's simple economics: much easier to get at schools where there is less competition for admission

>

>

I am not arguing that point. What I am saying is this thread is making it out like it somehow impossibly difficult to get academic scholarships and that is simply not the case at a LARGE percentage of institutions, specifically state schools. Even at an Auburn you can get a huge chunk of your tuition knocked out with a 28-29 ACT which is even more doable. Moral of the story goes back to if you want to get your college paid for academically it is far from the impossible task some on this thread were making it out to be and if you put the work in GPA and test score wise you can find institutions that are quality that will help you out. As you said, if you want to go to a more hyper competitive institution (Berkeley, UNC, others) you better be the upper crust elite. As well, be careful equating acceptance rate to making an institution somehow sub par. It is a false equivalency. For instance I chose Auburn because it is consistently ranked as a top 50 public institution in the nation.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > @heavy_hitter

> > > > You say it is easier to get a full ride being smart then athletic, but sometimes this isn't the case either. Everyday I speak to an associate who has a kid entering college they tell me how insanely competitive it is on the scholastic side. I mean there are kids where I live who have 4.4 GPA's and solid SAT's who can't get into state schools let alone get any scholarship money unless they are underprivileged. With that said, I also feel like these same kids have spent so much time on their studies that they forgot to round themselves out by being involved in anything else but scholastics.

> > >

> > > I would love to know what state schools you are not getting into with a 4.4 GPA and "solid" (which is a very vague word) SAT scores. You may be talking about some elites like UCLA or Berkley but those are beyond the norm of a typical "state school".

> >

> > Ucla, usc, berkely, purdue, penn state. From what I was told the kids sat’s were in the high 1,300’s

>

> If they had high 1300s and had a 4.3 I am going to say what is very uncomfortable: their parents or the child made some serious mistakes in their application. Even at the highest of those schools UCLA/Berkely they are well within the average numbers for acceptance rate. For some of your other schools (Penn State) they are WELL ABOVE the average incoming freshmen. Something is a miss with your friend's experiences.

For UCLA and Berkeley, it's formulaic based on GPA + SAT + if you are top 5% of your HS class. USC is a private school, so other things like race/ethnicity (better not be Asian), extracurricular activities (better be really good at something outside school), recommendations and essay come into play.

The average SAT at UCLA is 1365. USC is 1400. Berkeley is 1430. High 1300s is average to below-average, at best, for those schools, for admitted applicants.

The 4.3 is a weighted GPA, which probably equates to a mid to high 3s for unweighted. The average unweighted GPA for Berkeley admits is 3.9.

I completely disagree with the comment that someone with high 1300s and 4.3 weighted GPA who got rejected is an unusual circumstance.

Another point, is that schools are starting to look towards more well balanced people. Do they have a decent scope of activities albeit academic, social, charity, or athletic. This goes into people be able to handle being in different situations both in college and after in the real world.

> @CTgolf said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @kekoa said:

> > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > > @heavy_hitter

> > > > > You say it is easier to get a full ride being smart then athletic, but sometimes this isn't the case either. Everyday I speak to an associate who has a kid entering college they tell me how insanely competitive it is on the scholastic side. I mean there are kids where I live who have 4.4 GPA's and solid SAT's who can't get into state schools let alone get any scholarship money unless they are underprivileged. With that said, I also feel like these same kids have spent so much time on their studies that they forgot to round themselves out by being involved in anything else but scholastics.

> > > >

> > > > I would love to know what state schools you are not getting into with a 4.4 GPA and "solid" (which is a very vague word) SAT scores. You may be talking about some elites like UCLA or Berkley but those are beyond the norm of a typical "state school".

> > >

> > > Ucla, usc, berkely, purdue, penn state. From what I was told the kids sat’s were in the high 1,300’s

> >

> > If they had high 1300s and had a 4.3 I am going to say what is very uncomfortable: their parents or the child made some serious mistakes in their application. Even at the highest of those schools UCLA/Berkely they are well within the average numbers for acceptance rate. For some of your other schools (Penn State) they are WELL ABOVE the average incoming freshmen. Something is a miss with your friend's experiences.

>

> For UCLA and Berkeley, it's formulaic based on GPA + SAT + if you are top 5% of your HS class. USC is a private school, so other things like race/ethnicity (better not be Asian), extracurricular activities (better be really good at something outside school), recommendations and essay come into play.

>

> The average SAT at UCLA is 1365. USC is 1400. Berkeley is 1430. High 1300s is average to below-average, at best, for those schools, for admitted applicants.

>

> The 4.3 is a weighted GPA, which probably equates to a mid to high 3s for unweighted. The average unweighted GPA for Berkeley admits is 3.9.

>

> I completely disagree with the comment that someone with high 1300s and 4.3 weighted GPA who got rejected is an unusual circumstance.

Rejected to one is not an unusual circumstance. Rejected to all of those schools based on those provided facts is highly unusual.

> @tiger1873 said:

> What no one is mentioning is the fact that some schools also will Dictate what classes you can take and that devalues your degree. In some cases your better off just paying for it on your own.

>

>

>

>

>

100% False.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > What no one is mentioning is the fact that some schools also will Dictate what classes you can take and that devalues your degree. In some cases your better off just paying for it on your own.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> 100% False.

That's true, I had some D II football offers pulled when I said I wanted to be an engineer. Now if I had signed and then declared yeah probably a legal issue, but until it's signed they can pull offers for anything.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > What no one is mentioning is the fact that some schools also will Dictate what classes you can take and that devalues your degree. In some cases your better off just paying for it on your own.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> 100% False.

You need to talk to more parents and look around a lot more with a statement like that. I talked to some parents of kids who were on athletic scholarships and they all told me the pressure was to take certain classes and degrees. Can't pretend it doesn't happen.

> @Warrior42111 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > What no one is mentioning is the fact that some schools also will Dictate what classes you can take and that devalues your degree. In some cases your better off just paying for it on your own.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > 100% False.

>

> That's true, I had some D II football offers pulled when I said I wanted to be an engineer. Now if I had signed and then declared yeah probably a legal issue, but until it's signed they can pull offers for anything.

With some schools it's a matter of acceptance into a certain program or school within the university, not necessarily the coach mandating which classes you can take. In other words, they may offer a scholarship and can get you in as a communications major, but if their business school (just as an example) is super competitive and you dont meet the academic criteria for acceptance, that could be a "no go."

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > What no one is mentioning is the fact that some schools also will Dictate what classes you can take and that devalues your degree. In some cases your better off just paying for it on your own.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > 100% False.

>

> You need to talk to more parents and look around a lot more with a statement like that. I talked to some parents of kids who were on athletic scholarships and they all told me the pressure was to take certain classes and degrees. Can't pretend it doesn't happen.

>

>

>

They can dictate nothing. If they put pressure and you cave in, that is a YOU problem, not a coach or University problem. Should've gone to another school.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > @heavy_hitter

> > > > You say it is easier to get a full ride being smart then athletic, but sometimes this isn't the case either. Everyday I speak to an associate who has a kid entering college they tell me how insanely competitive it is on the scholastic side. I mean there are kids where I live who have 4.4 GPA's and solid SAT's who can't get into state schools let alone get any scholarship money unless they are underprivileged. With that said, I also feel like these same kids have spent so much time on their studies that they forgot to round themselves out by being involved in anything else but scholastics.

> > >

> > > I would love to know what state schools you are not getting into with a 4.4 GPA and "solid" (which is a very vague word) SAT scores. You may be talking about some elites like UCLA or Berkley but those are beyond the norm of a typical "state school".

> >

> > Ucla, usc, berkely, purdue, penn state. From what I was told the kids sat’s were in the high 1,300’s

>

> If they had high 1300s and had a 4.3 I am going to say what is very uncomfortable: their parents or the child made some serious mistakes in their application. Even at the highest of those schools UCLA/Berkely they are well within the average numbers for acceptance rate. For some of your other schools (Penn State) they are WELL ABOVE the average incoming freshmen. Something is a miss with your friend's experiences.

Like I said, I doubt he was well rounded in other areas ie. sports, volunteering, etc. Although one may not think so, there are a lot of kids with scores and grades like this and even better. I live in a little bubble in Orange County fwiw. Also, the kid is majoring in engineering, which may have also affected his acceptance.

> @kekoa said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @kekoa said:

> > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > > @heavy_hitter

> > > > > You say it is easier to get a full ride being smart then athletic, but sometimes this isn't the case either. Everyday I speak to an associate who has a kid entering college they tell me how insanely competitive it is on the scholastic side. I mean there are kids where I live who have 4.4 GPA's and solid SAT's who can't get into state schools let alone get any scholarship money unless they are underprivileged. With that said, I also feel like these same kids have spent so much time on their studies that they forgot to round themselves out by being involved in anything else but scholastics.

> > > >

> > > > I would love to know what state schools you are not getting into with a 4.4 GPA and "solid" (which is a very vague word) SAT scores. You may be talking about some elites like UCLA or Berkley but those are beyond the norm of a typical "state school".

> > >

> > > Ucla, usc, berkely, purdue, penn state. From what I was told the kids sat’s were in the high 1,300’s

> >

> > If they had high 1300s and had a 4.3 I am going to say what is very uncomfortable: their parents or the child made some serious mistakes in their application. Even at the highest of those schools UCLA/Berkely they are well within the average numbers for acceptance rate. For some of your other schools (Penn State) they are WELL ABOVE the average incoming freshmen. Something is a miss with your friend's experiences.

>

> Like I said, I doubt he was well rounded in other areas ie. sports, volunteering, etc. Although one may not think so, there are a lot of kids with scores and grades like this and even better. I live in a little bubble in Orange County fwiw. Also, the kid is majoring in engineering, which may have also affected his acceptance.

I agree lots of kids everywhere like Kekoa says. It not just Orange County either but any upper middle class suburb. Just in the case of Orange County Northern San Diego you have a lot more number of families then most areas in the middle class.

But go to bay area, Long Island, CT, North Texas , or nice areas around Chicago and kids getting good SAT and ACT scores with good grades are a dime a dozen.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > What no one is mentioning is the fact that some schools also will Dictate what classes you can take and that devalues your degree. In some cases your better off just paying for it on your own.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > 100% False.

> >

> > You need to talk to more parents and look around a lot more with a statement like that. I talked to some parents of kids who were on athletic scholarships and they all told me the pressure was to take certain classes and degrees. Can't pretend it doesn't happen.

> >

> >

> >

>

> They can dictate nothing. If they put pressure and you cave in, that is a YOU problem, not a coach or University problem. Should've gone to another school.

But the fact is you not getting support like you should be. But that is my point you may have to drop out and go to another school which is very common and a big reason you see so many transfers. A huge negative that a recruit need to be concerned about.

> @dpb5031 said:

> > @Warrior42111 said:

> > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > What no one is mentioning is the fact that some schools also will Dictate what classes you can take and that devalues your degree. In some cases your better off just paying for it on your own.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > 100% False.

> >

> > That's true, I had some D II football offers pulled when I said I wanted to be an engineer. Now if I had signed and then declared yeah probably a legal issue, but until it's signed they can pull offers for anything.

>

> With some schools it's a matter of acceptance into a certain program or school within the university, not necessarily the coach mandating which classes you can take. In other words, they may offer a scholarship and can get you in as a communications major, but if their business school (just as an example) is super competitive and you dont meet the academic criteria for acceptance, that could be a "no go."

I do agree it could be that, but I've seen some say no to certain programs because of the time needed for the major. It is in part why I just went D III at a pure engineering school (better than the scholarship school). I knew I wan't going pro or anything. My advise to anyone is always look at education, it provides the best fall back possible.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > 100% False.

> >

> > You need to talk to more parents and look around a lot more with a statement like that. I talked to some parents of kids who were on athletic scholarships and they all told me the pressure was to take certain classes and degrees. Can't pretend it doesn't happen.

> >

> >

> >

>

> They can dictate nothing. If they put pressure and you cave in, that is a YOU problem, not a coach or University problem. Should've gone to another school.

They can in some circumstances. It isn't uncommon for an athlete to be handed a pre-fab schedule that includes meal times, work out times, team practices, academic support, etc. in addition to a class schedule. It is true that degree programs have specific core requirements that can't be changed, but the times they are taken (sections of class) and the electives are maneuverable. Some programs will hand a student their marching orders from the athletic department from day 1 each semester. Others will allow individual program advisors to enroll the student in classes on their own (as normal) with blacked out times depending on their scholarship stipulations. I worked with 30-40 college athletes per semester and it was a huge pain in the ass to work around all the to-do's athletics requires.

Nonetheless, if all this proves to be a surprise to a newly admitted student, then neither they nor their parents made the effort to ask. As you say, should have gone to another school.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

> @kekoa said:

> > @admork said:

> > The good news for the decent junior golfers: you can find scholarships at smaller programs and still win on the PGA Tour, like last week.

>

> I love that. Was always curious if there is a list of PGA tour players, college attended, and whether their school was D1, DII, or DIII all on one page.

I started this the other day but got caught up in other stuff...

y10j9mdlxv45.jpg

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > > @admork said:

> > > The good news for the decent junior golfers: you can find scholarships at smaller programs and still win on the PGA Tour, like last week.

> >

> > I love that. Was always curious if there is a list of PGA tour players, college attended, and whether their school was D1, DII, or DIII all on one page.

>

> I started this the other day but got caught up in other stuff...

>

> y10j9mdlxv45.jpg

>

Please get back to it and show the division as well. :)

> @leezer99 said:

> > @kekoa said:

> >

> > Please get back to it and show the division as well. :)

>

> On it but just an FYI - your current leader started at Winona University and then transferred to Boise State.

Top 125 Done: [Google Sheet Here](https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QielkdP3e1rc7vnrCb11PDYNyysoNuFF6IU0KzbblWg/edit?usp=sharing "Google Sheet Here")

> @kekoa said:

> @leezer99

> Insightful. Thanks. Tons of D1 as expected but also lot of N/a’s

If they have an NA in the college name column they didn't go (or I couldn't find a source). If they have an NA in the division column either they didn't go or it was a foreign school I couldn't assign a division to.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > @leezer99

> > Insightful. Thanks. Tons of D1 as expected but also lot of N/a’s

>

> If they have an NA in the college name column they didn't go (or I couldn't find a source). If they have an NA in the division column either they didn't go or it was a foreign school I couldn't assign a division to.

Not so surprising but ASU has the most guys on tour in the top 125 BUT... they also have the most players at the US Am this week. Hmmmm...

> @leezer99 said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @kekoa said:

> > > @leezer99

> > > Insightful. Thanks. Tons of D1 as expected but also lot of N/a’s

> >

> > If they have an NA in the college name column they didn't go (or I couldn't find a source). If they have an NA in the division column either they didn't go or it was a foreign school I couldn't assign a division to.

>

> Not so surprising but ASU has the most guys on tour in the top 125 BUT... they also have the most players at the US Am this week. Hmmmm...

I think Pepperdine has the most with 6 current players at the US Am.

> @admork said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > @leezer99

> > > > Insightful. Thanks. Tons of D1 as expected but also lot of N/a’s

> > >

> > > If they have an NA in the college name column they didn't go (or I couldn't find a source). If they have an NA in the division column either they didn't go or it was a foreign school I couldn't assign a division to.

> >

> > Not so surprising but ASU has the most guys on tour in the top 125 BUT... they also have the most players at the US Am this week. Hmmmm...

>

> I think Pepperdine has the most with 6 current players at the US Am.

Same as asu.