Embarrising club championships moment(s)

kozubs

Our first hole is really elevated at about 100ft. 1st day of club champs I topped my driver. Got about 6" carry but it skipped off the tee deck and ended up short of the fairway about 235 out. Managed to knock it just In front of the green and got up and down for a par.

3rd and last day I was joking about it on the tee. We were in the A flight so people started to come out to watch the tee shots. With about 40 people watching I did the same damn thing. Everyone laughed once the saw me laughing. Some looked horrified. It ended up in the first cut 212 out. Perfect lie down wind. Hit 7 iron to 6 ft and made birdie. My partners nailed their drives but had tree troubles and went boggy, double. I'll looked at them and said I had to go take a shower because that was so dirty.

Best part was after the round I had a few people come up to me and asked if I turned things around after my tee shot. They couldn't believe I made birdie from there. Goofy game.

"It ended up in the first cut 212 out. Perfect lie down wind. Hit 7 iron to 6 ft and made birdie."

212 yard 7i. Has anyone mentioned you should be on tour?

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1771020/you-should-be-on-tour/p1

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I know It sounds big but it plays slightly down hill about 1/2 a club. It was also down wind about 1 club. Finally I was trying to land in front of the green given the flyer lie and lack of spin from the first cut. It landed about 10 yards short in the perfect spot, took a big bounce and rolled up. Put all that together and it was roughly a 175 shot which is a good 7 for me and I didn't want to go long. The first day conditions were different and I hit 4 iron that came up short.

About five years ago I started on #16 in my first club championship. 16 is an uphill par five with OB stakes all along the right edge of the fairway but the 17th fairway runs parallel to it on the left with a couple solitary trees and light rough. Basically you have all the room in the world to the left and right is dead. I proceed to hit the two biggest slices imaginable and make a 10. It was a flighted tournament and I had no chance of winning anyway so it actually took some pressure off and I played pretty well after that.

This year I was six over par after four holes and shot a 75 in the first round, and was two over after two holes in the second round and shot a 73 which was good enough to win it. Could have easily been in the 60s both days if I didn’t get such poor starts.

• Like 1

> @CaseyC said:

> Why are you hitting driver off that tee?

I normally hit 4w or 3i off that tee. The second day I was hitting the driver on a string and had a great range session that morning so a good drive would me about 80 to 30 yards depending on the wind. I was feeling that driver would be just as straight as anything else. Just topped it. The right trees suck but a drive in the left trees and you can usually punch out to the front of the green.

My topped drive ended up in the first cut just off the corner of the fairway in the bottom right. Not that it would matter but from the tee block, you can't see the fairway. You have to pick a point on the horizon to fire at due to the elevation drop.

r5uivcslhd8u.jpg

> @suprfli6 said:

> About five years ago I started on #16 in my first club championship. 16 is an uphill par five with OB stakes all along the right edge of the fairway but the 17th fairway runs parallel to it on the left with a couple solitary trees and light rough. Basically you have all the room in the world to the left and right is dead. I proceed to hit the two biggest slices imaginable and make a 10. It was a flighted tournament and I had no chance of winning anyway so it actually took some pressure off and I played pretty well after that.

>

> This year I was six over par after four holes and shot a 75 in the first round, and was two over after two holes in the second round and shot a 73 which was good enough to win it. Could have easily been in the 60s both days if I didn’t get such poor starts.

My buddy's dad was leading his club championship by one on the final day this weekend at a different course. Apparently he fired 3 OB and the 4th in a hazard to make a 15 on the last hole.

Playing the member/guest with my brother in law, he the member, I the guest. I live 1,000 miles away but I know quite a few of the members having played there so many times. I've been talked up quite a bit as a big hitter and a good player.

We're playing in the horse race. If you don't know what that is, it's a sight to behold. Alternate shot, the team with the worst score on each hole is eliminated, ties are settled via blind chip-off. Birdies don't get you anything - just don't LOSE the hole. 36 players, quite a few wives/spectators, probably 60 people in total. The first few holes take forever as 18/17/16/15/etc. teams play the hole at the same time. Carts everywhere, lots of alcohol, stereos booming. It's a riot.

We're on the first tee, a par 4, I'm teeing off. BIL tells me to hit driver. The hole looks quite similar to the pic posted above but the weeds off the end of the tee box are taller. I rip the drive right off the bottom of the club face, it shreds the weeds with power as my 0.2* launch angle does its' magic. Ball does not get stuck in the weeds, but travels 40-50 yards. We managed to make bogey and survive as a few other teams made double.

Many a joke were made, but the one that sticks out is "hey [bIL], that big hitter of yours kinda sucks." LOL

> @kc_hacker said:

> Playing the member/guest with my brother in law, he the member, I the guest. I live 1,000 miles away but I know quite a few of the members having played there so many times. I've been talked up quite a bit as a big hitter and a good player.

>

> We're playing in the horse race. If you don't know what that is, it's a sight to behold. Alternate shot, the team with the worst score on each hole is eliminated, **ties are settled via blind chip-off.** Birdies don't get you anything - just don't LOSE the hole. 36 players, quite a few wives/spectators, probably 60 people in total. The first few holes take forever as 18/17/16/15/etc. teams play the hole at the same time. Carts everywhere, lots of alcohol, stereos booming. It's a riot.

>

> We're on the first tee, a par 4, I'm teeing off. BIL tells me to hit driver. The hole looks quite similar to the pic posted above but the weeds off the end of the tee box are taller. I rip the drive right off the bottom of the club face, it shreds the weeds with power as my 0.2* launch angle does its' magic. Ball does not get stuck in the weeds, but travels 40-50 yards. We managed to make bogey and survive as a few other teams made double.

>

> Many a joke were made, but the one that sticks out is "hey [bIL], that big hitter of yours kinda sucks." LOL

What is a "blind chip off"? Google was no help.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

> @sprcoop said:

> > @kc_hacker said:

> > Playing the member/guest with my brother in law, he the member, I the guest. I live 1,000 miles away but I know quite a few of the members having played there so many times. I've been talked up quite a bit as a big hitter and a good player.

> >

> > We're playing in the horse race. If you don't know what that is, it's a sight to behold. Alternate shot, the team with the worst score on each hole is eliminated, **ties are settled via blind chip-off.** Birdies don't get you anything - just don't LOSE the hole. 36 players, quite a few wives/spectators, probably 60 people in total. The first few holes take forever as 18/17/16/15/etc. teams play the hole at the same time. Carts everywhere, lots of alcohol, stereos booming. It's a riot.

> >

> > We're on the first tee, a par 4, I'm teeing off. BIL tells me to hit driver. The hole looks quite similar to the pic posted above but the weeds off the end of the tee box are taller. I rip the drive right off the bottom of the club face, it shreds the weeds with power as my 0.2* launch angle does its' magic. Ball does not get stuck in the weeds, but travels 40-50 yards. We managed to make bogey and survive as a few other teams made double.

> >

> > Many a joke were made, but the one that sticks out is "hey [bIL], that big hitter of yours kinda sucks." LOL

> What is a "blind chip off"? Google was no help.

Opponents must turn their backs while other players chip, so they can’t get an advantage by seeing: (a) speed, break, etc., (b) how far the other players’ balls ended up from the hole [to know how aggressive they have to be].

If the chip off isn’t “blind”, players who go later would have a significant advantage over the players who go first.

Playing in a US open qualifier and tried to hit a punch shot under a tree about 40yds in front of me. Ended up hitting the tree and came straight back at me hitting my golf bag then straight into a creek beside me. Needless to say that day was a rap.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

1bzbq5kfpr5x.png

This happened to a player at my old club (the now sadly closed Banbury Golf Club)....day one of the club championship, the first hole is this tricky par 4, with the red line symbolising the very narrow tee box at its furthest back. Up a slope approximately 10 feet higher than the rest of the tee box in front. The fairway in front drops down about 30 yards before rising back up to the green on the right which is a similar height to the tee box.

So, this guy hit a lousy tee shot on day one, that didn’t make the fairway (it’s an intimidating shot with the car park right next to you and no driving range to warm up on!!)

So roll on to day 2, where the tee is now the much friendlier Blue Line. He says to his playing partners “thank God it’s not up there today, eh?!”.

He then topped his tee shot, it hit the concrete tee marker, ballooned up in the air and landed square on the day one tee!! (The entire box up there is no more than 3 yards in depth).

It took a good couple of minutes for the laughter to stop.

Not a club championship but still an embarrassing moment. Mind you I'm not the longest hitter by any means and from the 6.4k tees, this par 5 plays to about 470ish. Was walking solo and another walker, low single digit cap, caught up to me and asked to join. I confidently stepped up to the tee and skied my driver short of the fairway with a small white mark halfway on the crown to prove it. Get up to my drive, scores of yards behind his, I lay up and magically pure a 7 iron. Following this I stick a gap wedge from 110 to about 6 feet and proceed to sink a birdie putt. Great ending but that first drive had me red in the face until I got to it.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

> @EricWGolf said:

> > @sprcoop said:

> > > @kc_hacker said:

> > > Playing the member/guest with my brother in law, he the member, I the guest. I live 1,000 miles away but I know quite a few of the members having played there so many times. I've been talked up quite a bit as a big hitter and a good player.

> > >

> > > We're playing in the horse race. If you don't know what that is, it's a sight to behold. Alternate shot, the team with the worst score on each hole is eliminated, **ties are settled via blind chip-off.** Birdies don't get you anything - just don't LOSE the hole. 36 players, quite a few wives/spectators, probably 60 people in total. The first few holes take forever as 18/17/16/15/etc. teams play the hole at the same time. Carts everywhere, lots of alcohol, stereos booming. It's a riot.

> > >

> > > We're on the first tee, a par 4, I'm teeing off. BIL tells me to hit driver. The hole looks quite similar to the pic posted above but the weeds off the end of the tee box are taller. I rip the drive right off the bottom of the club face, it shreds the weeds with power as my 0.2* launch angle does its' magic. Ball does not get stuck in the weeds, but travels 40-50 yards. We managed to make bogey and survive as a few other teams made double.

> > >

> > > Many a joke were made, but the one that sticks out is "hey [bIL], that big hitter of yours kinda sucks." LOL

> > What is a "blind chip off"? Google was no help.

>

> Opponents must turn their backs while other players chip, so they can’t get an advantage by seeing: (a) speed, break, etc., (b) how far the other players’ balls ended up from the hole [to know how aggressive they have to be].

>

> If the chip off isn’t “blind”, players who go later would have a significant advantage over the players who go first.

I like that!!!!

Last year's club championship at my old club. First round, I was playing decent until I got to hole 14. It's a dogleg left par 5, with OB on the left side.

I get up to the tee and yank driver left and OB. Irritated, I don't bother to take my time on the next attempt and do it again. Now more irritated, I don't even take a practice swing and yank a third one OB. Finally, I decide to take a deep breath, relax, and take my time. My fourth attempt was a gorgeous drive that cuts the corner beautifully. I am now lying 7, hitting 8.

We drive up and wait 15 minutes for the group ahead to play their second shots from the fairway. (pace of play was BRUTALLY SLOW that day, the entire round took 5 and a half hours). I hit my next shot a little fat and lay up to about 150 yards out. Then we wait again for at least another 10 minutes for them to clear the green.

I pull out 8-iron, and yank my approach OB again. Then I hit shot #11 onto the green and two putt for a smooth 13. I wanted to lay down in the fetal position with thumb in mouth for the next few holes. I did rebound and play better the next day, but the 13 destroyed me. I figured it out, and if I had just taken a bogey on that hole with nothing else changing, I would have finished second place in my flight.

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I just finished playing in my match play club championship on Wednesday. Hadn't played any truly competitive golf in 15 years so was a bit nervous...

**First Four Drives in First Round Match**

*Top my drive, don't even make it to the fairway.

*Top my drive, don't even make it to the fairway.

*Hit a low screamer, no more than 10' off of the ground, a good 30 yards left of the fairway.

*Hit a terrible slice, hits a tree and ricochets back no more than 25 yards in front of the forward tees...

Everyone else was playing great (I was playing with another pairing in the club championship as well) - my opponent was an easy 1-under through 5 holes. I felt like the little kid who accidentally sits at the grownup table at Thanksgiving, lol. My opponents barely made eye contact as they didn't want whatever plague I was harboring to rub off on them.

So... 3 holes down after 5... BUT... I get it together after that and go on to win 2-up!

...and then I won my next match against the top player in the field (former college golfer, has won the club championship multiple times), 1-up after 19 holes...

...and then I won the club championship in the finals on Wednesday, again 1-up after 19 holes! Shooting 72.

After the start I had, I really didn't expect to get past that first round. I think my shoulders are still tight from nerves, lol.

**Other Embarassing Moment**

In my second round match, I was 1-up going into 18... and I TOPPED MY DRIVE SHORT OF THE FAIRWAY AGAIN. Made Bogey, which led to the playoff hole.

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (14.5, 19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Black

I took up golf in my later 20’s. My first real competition round was a club championship. I was about a 18-20cap at the time. I was so nervous I wiffed on the first tee. By the time I got past the ladies tee box I was sitting 4. I shot like 121. Day two, I figured it can’t get worse. Shot 130. Last day I shot 82 and won my flight for the day. I was so crestfallen from the previous days, I just played.

Our club used to have a 9 holes shootout every Friday night. If you arent familiar, 10 guys start on hole 1 and each hole we drop out the high score, so by #9 you have 2 guys playing for the pot. Well one of our players on the first tee, heels his drive and it line drives into an ornamental bush on the edge of the tee box by the cartpath. We can't find it and he takes a lost ball penalty and retees, makes a big score and drops out. The very next week, he does the exact same thing. Lost ball in the bush. All of us are laughing so hard. Week 3 comes and we jokingly give him a 'bye' on the first hole. After skipping the first hole, he goes on to win the shootout that week. Pretty funny stuff.

> @"rich s" said:

> I missed a less than 2' putt on the first playoff hole to lose our club championship.

See, this is bad ... most of these are just humble brags in disguise.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Not necessarily embarrassing but in our club championships this year I was in third position with a +2 after day 1 (it's a 36 hole scratch plate followed by an 8-man knockout matchplay). I was pretty happy playing off 6hcp beating the likes of scratch and better handicaps the first day. Day 2 comes and I'm in the final group. Level par after 10, and only needing to come in with with +5 with 8 holes to go to make the knockout. Hole 11- bogey, hole 12 - triple, hole 13 - bogey, hole 14 - triple. There goes my chance. Needless to say I missed the top 8 and rue the chance of playing in the knockout with a string of bad holes.

The eventual winner was in my final group. Comparatively he knifed his second shot over the back of the first hole into a penalty area, took a drop, fat shot fourth, followed by a second fat shot fifth. Sixth shot ended up on the green and single putts to make a 7. He went on to shoot 1 under for the remaining 17 holes. Won the knockouts easily to become club champion.

> @tatertot said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > I missed a less than 2' putt on the first playoff hole to lose our club championship.

>

> See, this is bad ... most of these are just humble brags in disguise.

I totally agree with this & kudos to the people who don’t find the need to make it a backdoor brag. I hate opening threads like “worst shot you ever hit” to find out its really 1 sentence about a bad shot, followed by 2 paragraphs of how the person still made par or birdie. “It was so embarrassing, because it almost cost me the course record.”

Heck, even “strangest thing you’ve ever heard on the range” is insecure people bragging almost half the time.

I shot a 47 on 9 once in a club championship, at the time I was like a 1.5 index. Though it was on our hardest 9 (I think it has a 144 slope) and it was pouring rain. I made an 8 on a par 4 and a few other tough ones

It's hard for something to truly be "embarrassing " in a club championship, were amateurs so most things have already happened before. One of the best players at my club has a 48 in a club championship 9. And this is a guy who's won local tournaments etc...

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Hole 4 tee box is on a cliff. Any wind with the aid of a fade or draw depending on wind direction sails your ball off course and ob. I had just told the group that I literally hate when people put one ob, re-tee and hit the exact same shot ob again. I went up to tee box and put 3 ob in the exact same spot every time... took a 10 and died a lil inside.. not bc of the 10 but bc I became what I hated.

We had a guy lose A flight a few years ago, made a 17 on the last hole, 4 or 5 balls fatted in the pond from 70 yards, in front of a full patio, then a five putt

He was a 14 cap and still shot 92 ... and still finished second. He would've won with an 8

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

From today during the second round of our club championship.

Our driving range is on the left side of #12 and it is in play. We have a bell to ring to stop people from hitting if you are on the range.

I hit a wicked pull, hit a tree, and go sideways into the middle of the range. Ring the bell, jog out to my ball, hit a pretty good 3U to about 40 yards short of the green. As I'm jogging back out of the range I hear somebody on the tee deck of the range yell "Nice shot John!". I am sure I will hear about it on Men's night this week.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"