Ball selection for single digit handicap

txgolfer45

I took a hiatus from golf for awhile. Getting back into it. Fortunately, my swing is holding up but a bit slower at 63 yrs old. 85 to 88 mph driver clubhead speed. I bought a sleeve of ProV1, TPx, Callaway Soft and a couple dozen Kirkland Signature 3 ply urethane balls. I appreciate the feel and spin of the urethane balls on full swing approaches. Need to practice more with them around the green and ignore the range balls at my practice range short game area as they are typical surlyn pinnacle range balls that tend to run on chips and pitches. Haven't been able to hit two different balls from the same spot to see how they behave differently. But, the spin on all appears good. None are backing up. But, they are stopping pretty quickly on full approach shots. All 4 seem to handle the wind pretty well. Hope to get out and do head to head comparisons soon.

May need to add the ProV1x and TP5 to the mix. Probably can't go wrong with any of them.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft Fairway woods: Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 wood Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i Irons: Srixon ZX5 6-AW, Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54 and 58 degree Putter: mySpider X

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give snell a try! Otherwise, if the Kirkland works, why not play them?

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I think any of the top urethane balls are all good, it's just a personal preference thing (and the slight differences) for the player. I would say that I think some of the premium balls like the ProV1 fly too low for me off the irons. Yes, they spin marginally more but they seem to come in much flatter. I've actually started wondering more if moderate speed players are somewhat worse with balls like these for full swing shots. In this regard, the ProV1x may be better.

The Snell MTB Black and X seem to get a lot of love. Basically the same thing as the above at a cheaper price (some think its better, many think its no better/worse but a better deal).

There are also some interesting comments from a couple pretty good players (+ index, low-single digits) on some surlyn balls in the following threads. Maybe consider these type of balls too?

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1785324/will-someone-please-explain-why-this-cheap-ball-works-so-good-for-me-costco-callaway-hex#latest

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1771243/is-a-urethane-ball-hurting-me#latest

I find that the ProV1 and other pro line balls just spin too much for me. I'm not a masher by any means (age 55, SS 100-104), but I seem to get a few iron shots each round that spin back 20-30 feet. I played a Wilson Duo Soft today, and that seemed much more reasonable with spin. Unfortunately, I have amassed 10-15 dozen of the pro line balls, so I need to start losing them.

I may try some of the balls one step down from the tour premium balls like the TM Project (a) and Bridgestone Tour B RXS or RX and Srixon offerings in the same category.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft Fairway woods: Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 wood Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i Irons: Srixon ZX5 6-AW, Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54 and 58 degree Putter: mySpider X

> @Sparky14 said:

> I find that the ProV1 and other pro line balls just spin too much for me. I'm not a masher by any means (age 55, SS 100-104), but I seem to get a few iron shots each round that spin back 20-30 feet. I played a Wilson Duo Soft today, and that seemed much more reasonable with spin. Unfortunately, I have amassed 10-15 dozen of the pro line balls, so I need to start losing them.

20-30 feet of backspin??

> @BreezyBrett20 said:

> > @Sparky14 said:

> > I find that the ProV1 and other pro line balls just spin too much for me. I'm not a masher by any means (age 55, SS 100-104), but I seem to get a few iron shots each round that spin back 20-30 feet. I played a Wilson Duo Soft today, and that seemed much more reasonable with spin. Unfortunately, I have amassed 10-15 dozen of the pro line balls, so I need to start losing them.

> 20-30 feet of backspin??

>

Not hard on some greens. Impossible on my course but on greens that are receptive you've got to pay attention to spin.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> > @BreezyBrett20 said:

> > > @Sparky14 said:

> > > I find that the ProV1 and other pro line balls just spin too much for me. I'm not a masher by any means (age 55, SS 100-104), but I seem to get a few iron shots each round that spin back 20-30 feet. I played a Wilson Duo Soft today, and that seemed much more reasonable with spin. Unfortunately, I have amassed 10-15 dozen of the pro line balls, so I need to start losing them.

> > 20-30 feet of backspin??

> >

>

> Not hard on some greens. Impossible on my course but on greens that are receptive you've got to pay attention to spin.

Guess I’ve never seen that

> @txgolfer45 said:

> I may try some of the balls one step down from the tour premium balls like the TM Project (a) and Bridgestone Tour B RXS or RX and Srixon offerings in the same category.

Great area, 30-35 step down with urethane. QST is a solid choice. Looking for more feedback on Duo Pro. Is it any different than the (a)?

> @Tanner25 said:

> > @txgolfer45 said:

> > I may try some of the balls one step down from the tour premium balls like the TM Project (a) and Bridgestone Tour B RXS or RX and Srixon offerings in the same category.

>

> Great area, 30-35 step down with urethane. QST is a solid choice. Looking for more feedback on Duo Pro. Is it any different than the (a)?

I like the A and QST more, but duo pro is good

> @BreezyBrett20 said:

> > @Sparky14 said:

> > I find that the ProV1 and other pro line balls just spin too much for me. I'm not a masher by any means (age 55, SS 100-104), but I seem to get a few iron shots each round that spin back 20-30 feet. I played a Wilson Duo Soft today, and that seemed much more reasonable with spin. Unfortunately, I have amassed 10-15 dozen of the pro line balls, so I need to start losing them.

> 20-30 feet of backspin??

>

Yep. It was funny, I was playing a couple of weeks ago, we had three foursomes. One guy in my group mentioned on 14 or 15 that I was getting crazy amounts of backspin. We finish and go into the clubhouse, and the other two groups were talking about how firm the greens were and that they couldn't hold a green. I'd rather not backup a sand wedge 5-10 yards when I can only hit it 90 in the air.

> @Sparky14 said:

> > @BreezyBrett20 said:

> > > @Sparky14 said:

> > > I find that the ProV1 and other pro line balls just spin too much for me. I'm not a masher by any means (age 55, SS 100-104), but I seem to get a few iron shots each round that spin back 20-30 feet. I played a Wilson Duo Soft today, and that seemed much more reasonable with spin. Unfortunately, I have amassed 10-15 dozen of the pro line balls, so I need to start losing them.

> > 20-30 feet of backspin??

> >

>

> Yep. It was funny, I was playing a couple of weeks ago, we had three foursomes. One guy in my group mentioned on 14 or 15 that I was getting crazy amounts of backspin. We finish and go into the clubhouse, and the other two groups were talking about how firm the greens were and that they couldn't hold a green. I'd rather not backup a sand wedge 5-10 yards when I can only hit it 90 in the air.

I’ve never seen that much backspin that would definitely be entertaining

I'm a 5 at the moment. Trying to clean out the Velocitys in my locker, I got a lot of them for b-day and Xmas over the last few years. I play whatever is in my stash but I play a ball until either it is lost or it is completely thrashed. They all go just as far into the woods, as deep in the water and as far out of bounds.

Callaway 816 DBD - Mitsubishi MMT 70
PXG 0341X 3W - HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted
Callaway Epic SZ 5W - Aldila Tour Blue
Honma TW747V 4-10 - Accra 80i
Corey Paul Raw 50*

Vega VW-06 54*

Scratch 58*
Tour Cameron NP2

I too play whatever is in my Bday and Xmas gifts stash. I like softer feel over firmer feel for driver and irons, but truthfully don't think I see much difference between balls with those clubs. Wedges for pitching and chipping are my main discriminator, and I actually prefer a bit less spin / a bit more rollout than what I get with Pro V1 ... seems to help with misses that generally come up short. So far the ChromeSoft Truvis and Q Star Tour are my favorites. My index is 8 and swing speed with driver is 95-ish.

Tried a couple of candidates this weekend. Not impressed with the Srixon Q Star Tour. Plays similar to the Kirkland Signature 3 piece urethane ball. Glad I only bought one sleeve of them. I liked the Bridgestone Tour B RX ball. But, prefer the Taylormade TP5 and Titleist ProV1. Will try the RXS next time. Similar price to the TP5. ProV1 is the most expensive. I think I'm closing in on the TP5 to be my go to ball.

I am a big fan of TP5X and was given a sleeve of Bridgestone RX to try a month ago. It does everything a TP5X does but feels a bit better. I don’t hit it quite as high as TP5X but distance hasn’t suffered. So I bought 4 dozen B-RX and played 18 last weekend. At the end of the round the B-RX Ball still looks brand new and performed perfectly. Not losing a ball in florida with all the damn water is a minor miracle in and of itself.

I personally don’t care for the new TP5. The ball feels “heavy” to me sometimes. Best way I can describe it is I can feel it compress then feel like a titanium core next. I know that’s not the case but that’s what it feels like to me. Chromesoft X gives me the same feel.

For me, nothing spins like a Prov1x around greens. Distance wise TP5X wins. Srixon XV and B-RX (also MTB X) are both really good but do nothing spectacular like the other 2 balls. Feel wise I like B-RX and previous model ProV1 best. They’re both a hair softer than TP5X, Prov1x and Srixon XV yet far from mushy.