Gankas In Person Lesson

vsproto

I'm generally against instructors charging so much, but there's no way to get around it for GG. If he charged less, chaos would ensue from trying to book people alone. He is *that* busy. I've had 2 in-person lessons with him and I called 3-4 months in advance both times.

If you really want to get a lesson with his teaching but don't want to pay the price, I would recommend seeing one of his certified instructors like Jake Gilmer (Las Vegas) or Brandon Ray (Charleston, SC).

The good thing about GG is that I've had 2 in-person lessons and I've done 3 online lessons and I feel like between those and his Web site, I can confidently troubleshoot most any issue on my own to play better golf than I was before I started to see him. Now, the reason to go see him is to work out some smaller things to get closer to reaching my potential.

That's part of what GG brings to the table...you won't have to rely on him to improve and play well. He doesn't really teach feels, he teaches checkpoints and drills to reach those checkpoints and emulate key parts of the golf swing based on the individual characteristics of the student's swing.

So yes, $500/hour is expensive. But, if you get to do it 1-3 times and it works out for you compared to going to cheaper instructors where you need to go 12-20 times over the course of a few years.

RH

• Like 3

> @chigolfer1 said:

> > @Shipwreck said:

> > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > @Shipwreck said:

> > > > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > > > @Shipwreck said:

> > > > > > It’s a very minor thing and I can’t even believe it’s something that would come to my attention, but I just find it extremely unprofessional that he’s wearing sandals in some of his instruction videos. I get that it’s SoCal and it’s obviously a culture and style out there.

> > > > >

> > > > > You can't be serious.

> > > >

> > > > 100% serious. I can’t really explain why it’s a bother to me other than I’ve just always believed in the mantra of “act as if, dress as if”. Now I’m not saying I expect him to be in slacks, a collared shirt and looking like he just walked out of the Titleist tour van, but sandals just aren’t professional unless you’re a lifeguard or a beach bum. Once again, simply my opinion and even without the sandals I’d never be able to afford his lessons in 10 lifetimes.

> > >

> > > It's a bad opinion. J/K! sorta, ;-)

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I think a lot of it came from my time in the military. Even getting out, going through the transition courses, they stressed the importance of dressing for success. I’ve heard that in your area and pretty much all along the eastern seaboard, you better be dressed nice for interviews and even to submit an application. Not sure how true it is but it wouldn’t surprise me considering how people dress here out west for the same (it’s no where near “professional”)

>

> I understand what you're saying and there is no doubt a different dress culture in the Northeast. I think the difference is you are considering giving lessons all day a context where you need to dress somewhat formally and in the context of where he's giving lessons and at what kind of course, sandals are completely acceptable, IMO of course.

I don't mind the casual, beachy attire. I have a hard time with all the weird bro language they throw around like 'scooshie', 'gucci', 'wet', 'drippy', etc. But I still watch a lot of the material, loved the segments on Como's show on Golf Channel, and think his instruction is pretty interesting to watch.

• Like 1

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > @Shipwreck said:

> > > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > > @Shipwreck said:

> > > > > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > > > > @Shipwreck said:

> > > > > > > It’s a very minor thing and I can’t even believe it’s something that would come to my attention, but I just find it extremely unprofessional that he’s wearing sandals in some of his instruction videos. I get that it’s SoCal and it’s obviously a culture and style out there.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You can't be serious.

> > > > >

> > > > > 100% serious. I can’t really explain why it’s a bother to me other than I’ve just always believed in the mantra of “act as if, dress as if”. Now I’m not saying I expect him to be in slacks, a collared shirt and looking like he just walked out of the Titleist tour van, but sandals just aren’t professional unless you’re a lifeguard or a beach bum. Once again, simply my opinion and even without the sandals I’d never be able to afford his lessons in 10 lifetimes.

> > > >

> > > > It's a bad opinion. J/K! sorta, ;-)

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I think a lot of it came from my time in the military. Even getting out, going through the transition courses, they stressed the importance of dressing for success. I’ve heard that in your area and pretty much all along the eastern seaboard, you better be dressed nice for interviews and even to submit an application. Not sure how true it is but it wouldn’t surprise me considering how people dress here out west for the same (it’s no where near “professional”)

> >

> > I understand what you're saying and there is no doubt a different dress culture in the Northeast. I think the difference is you are considering giving lessons all day a context where you need to dress somewhat formally and in the context of where he's giving lessons and at what kind of course, sandals are completely acceptable, IMO of course.

>

> I don't mind the casual, beachy attire. I have a hard time with all the weird bro language they throw around like 'scooshie', 'gucci', 'wet', 'drippy', etc. But I still watch a lot of the material, loved the segments on Como's show on Golf Channel, and think his instruction is pretty interesting to watch.

Ha, yeah, but I think he can un-bro it based on the audience. It works really well with all these high school/college students he seems to have.

• Like 1

> @ddetts said:

> > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > @Shipwreck said:

> > > > > > > It’s a very minor thing and I can’t even believe it’s something that would come to my attention, but I just find it extremely unprofessional that he’s wearing sandals in some of his instruction videos. I get that it’s SoCal and it’s obviously a culture and style out there.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > 100% serious. I can’t really explain why it’s a bother to me other than I’ve just always believed in the mantra of “act as if, dress as if”. Now I’m not saying I expect him to be in slacks, a collared shirt and looking like he just walked out of the Titleist tour van, but sandals just aren’t professional unless you’re a lifeguard or a beach bum. Once again, simply my opinion and even without the sandals I’d never be able to afford his lessons in 10 lifetimes.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I think a lot of it came from my time in the military. Even getting out, going through the transition courses, they stressed the importance of dressing for success. I’ve heard that in your area and pretty much all along the eastern seaboard, you better be dressed nice for interviews and even to submit an application. Not sure how true it is but it wouldn’t surprise me considering how people dress here out west for the same (it’s no where near “professional”)

> >

> > I understand what you're saying and there is no doubt a different dress culture in the Northeast. I think the difference is you are considering giving lessons all day a context where you need to dress somewhat formally and in the context of where he's giving lessons and at what kind of course, sandals are completely acceptable, IMO of course.

>

> I don't mind the casual, beachy attire. I have a hard time with all the weird bro language they throw around like 'scooshie', 'gucci', 'wet', 'drippy', etc. But I still watch a lot of the material, loved the segments on Como's show on Golf Channel, and think his instruction is pretty interesting to watch.

You just gotta get squamdow if you wanna hit it purina puppy chow my friend.

• Like 1

> @RichieHunt said:

> I'm generally against instructors charging so much, but there's no way to get around it for GG. If he charged less, chaos would ensue from trying to book people alone. He is *that* busy. I've had 2 in-person lessons with him and I called 3-4 months in advance both times.

> RH

I think I wrote this in my swing thread, but GG might be the hardest working person I've ever witnessed in-person. Both times I got there around 8:30AM and he was already teaching. He didn't take lunch. He stopped at 7:00PM once only because of a student's graduation party and taught past 9:00 the other time. He is 100% ON with full attention to the student the entire lesson. Top of the hour, BOOM, next person same thing. It was crazy to see. Both times were Saturdays! And that was when he was charging less than $250/hour and wasn't on Golf Channel with a Tour-winner in the stable. Its supply and demand. The demand is insane now, so he'd be leaving money on the table and/or teaching literally 24/7 if he didn't raise rates.

EDIT: I have to think he's grandfathered in rates for his long-time loyal clientele.

• Like 4

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

When I saw this thread yesterday I immediately messaged him to double check my rate for this September was grandfathered from when I booked last year. Phewf...shat my pants a little bit

• Like 1

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

> @Shipwreck said:

> > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > @Shipwreck said:

> > > > > It’s a very minor thing and I can’t even believe it’s something that would come to my attention, but I just find it extremely unprofessional that he’s wearing sandals in some of his instruction videos. I get that it’s SoCal and it’s obviously a culture and style out there.

> > > >

> > > > You can't be serious.

> > >

> > > 100% serious. I can’t really explain why it’s a bother to me other than I’ve just always believed in the mantra of “act as if, dress as if”. Now I’m not saying I expect him to be in slacks, a collared shirt and looking like he just walked out of the Titleist tour van, but sandals just aren’t professional unless you’re a lifeguard or a beach bum. Once again, simply my opinion and even without the sandals I’d never be able to afford his lessons in 10 lifetimes.

> >

> > It's a bad opinion. J/K! sorta, ;-)

> >

> >

> >

>

> I think a lot of it came from my time in the military. Even getting out, going through the transition courses, they stressed the importance of dressing for success. I’ve heard that in your area and pretty much all along the eastern seaboard, you better be dressed nice for interviews and even to submit an application. Not sure how true it is but it wouldn’t surprise me considering how people dress here out west for the same (it’s no where near “professional”)

Since he's extremely successful, maybe more pro's need to be wearing sandals....

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @Soloman1 said:

> No shorts, (except in some sections in the desert in summer), no sandals, no collarless shirts, jacket and ties for interviews, must dress like a cliche. :)

Ha, I am happy for the instructor to wear his underwear on his head if he is good enough to coax any improvement out of my untalented a$$

• Like 1

Got the chance to see him last year. Guy was super professional with me and I actually didn't get much of the Cali "bro-vibe" from him. I don't have anything against it, but those who have seen how he behaves in vids may get a different feel in person. YMMV.

I would be curious to hear in person how his instruction has continued to evolve since last year. Sounds like he's really focusing on matchups now which can only be a good thing. I did exit last year with some great feedback on some of the concepts that I misunderstood from his online videos and instruction. When he got me into the right positions, the pressure on your left side in transition and downswing is immense for example while the right knee is doing its thing. I do remember last year that there was a huge focus on what the legs and right knee does in particular and not enough on how the pressure ends up getting distributed. He was really gracious on the feedback.

• Like 1

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

This is the Great American Dream ! - Hard work / good product = financial success . his pricing is in line with what the "traffic will bear" .

I've seen a few videos and an interview and came away impressed with his passion & work ethic .

His swing model is most likely not for me [ older guy , less flexible , bad knees ] but he's connecting well with younger players

Seems to be in an affluent area where $ isn't as much a concern as " FOMO" is

> @ddetts said:

> > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > @Shipwreck said:

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

The bro language is So Cal> @Soloman1 said:

> No shorts, (except in some sections in the desert in summer), no sandals, no collarless shirts, jacket and ties for interviews, must dress like a cliche. :)

Basically a uniform that screams stuffy and elitist. God forbid someone wears a tshirt to play a GAME or atheltic activity hahahahaha Until golf gets it's head out of it's A$% golf will not grow. It continually blows my mind that a grown man or woman gives a crap what another adult is wearing to play a sport.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

If you're in the Southeast save some time, $, and make longer term changes since you'll be able to have more frequent lessons if you go to Dan Carraher (iteachgolf). He is in Jacksonville. Amazing at identifying root causes.

GG is an amazing instructor no doubt, but changes to your golf game no matter how good the teacher is will take time to stick with you and become permanent. However, I have heard that GG teaches in a way that gives you full understanding of your swing and what to do. So maybe after a couple visits you'd be set forever and only have to check in with him every couple years. Worth trying another instructor first before taking the deep dive into your pocket.

anyone ever seen GG comment on his thought on teaching on golf mats. just wondering if better players would prefer to be able to hit balls off actual turf. i know for me, i hate hitting off mats, and its progressively worse the shorter the iron.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

> @HoosierMizuno said:

> anyone ever seen GG comment on his thought on teaching on golf mats. just wondering if better players would prefer to be able to hit balls off actual turf. i know for me, i hate hitting off mats, and its progressively worse the shorter the iron.

No. He's making use of what is available to him. You can hit off the grass to tee up your driver, etc. at Westlake.

Hitting off mats generally has never bothered me unless I'm doing so before a tournament or I have not hit off grass in a while. The positive side about hitting off mats is when you're working on something or learning something for the first time, you don't have additional factors like the lie bothering you while you're trying to hit the ball.

So many times I prefer to hit off mats rather than grass. Particularly when getting a lesson. But, when I'm trying to get a feel for hitting off real grass and not getting away with hitting one fat, I want to hit off grass.

RH

> @RichieHunt said:

> > @HoosierMizuno said:

> > anyone ever seen GG comment on his thought on teaching on golf mats. just wondering if better players would prefer to be able to hit balls off actual turf. i know for me, i hate hitting off mats, and its progressively worse the shorter the iron.

>

> No. He's making use of what is available to him. You can hit off the grass to tee up your driver, etc. at Westlake.

>

> Hitting off mats generally has never bothered me unless I'm doing so before a tournament or I have not hit off grass in a while. The positive side about hitting off mats is when you're working on something or learning something for the first time, you don't have additional factors like the lie bothering you while you're trying to hit the ball.

>

> So many times I prefer to hit off mats rather than grass. Particularly when getting a lesson. But, when I'm trying to get a feel for hitting off real grass and not getting away with hitting one fat, I want to hit off grass.

>

>

>

>

> RH

yea, hitting off mats is easier than grass for sure. It's also much easier to be shallow on a mat.

I took two lessons back in the day with GG. I think it was $300/hr. I went to see him mainly to gain distance. I will say it is only worth it if you can see him consistently. For me, the cost and 4 hr round trip ride there was not something I could sustain long term. He does seem like a very nice guy and obviously knows his stuff.

Anyone know if any of his "disciples" do online lessons?

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

> @Soloman1 said:

Yeah...that’s not even close. Every facility sets their own dress code for their pros. Has nothing to do with a section or national.

• Like 1

> @Shipwreck said:

> It’s a very minor thing and I can’t even believe it’s something that would come to my attention, but I just find it extremely unprofessional that he’s wearing sandals in some of his instruction videos. I get that it’s SoCal and it’s obviously a culture and style out there.

I get it. We are slobs in CA. When I went to Manhattan and dressed up I looked like shit compared to the locals. Their style was sharp and I must admit I was a little jealous until I got home and enjoyed the ocean breeze between my toes.

F9 9 degree Diamana white.  70G
Epic SZ 15 degree Diamana white 70G
M3 19 Hyrbrid Diamana white 90G
R11 7 wood Fuji something old school
4-pw J40 CB Modus 130 S
52,56,60 DD scratch 8810
Pointy looking thing. 
Srixon Z star

> @proguy said:

> > @Shipwreck said:

> > It’s a very minor thing and I can’t even believe it’s something that would come to my attention, but I just find it extremely unprofessional that he’s wearing sandals in some of his instruction videos. I get that it’s SoCal and it’s obviously a culture and style out there.

>

> I get it. We are slobs in CA. When I went to Manhattan and dressed up I looked like **** compared to the locals. Their style was sharp and I must admit I was a little jealous until I got home and enjoyed the ocean breeze between my toes.

LOL not even what I was saying, and I apologize if it came across that way. Trust me I know what it’s like to live in sandals and I lived in SD for 4 years. Cali just has a natural laid back style that only they can get away with. It’s not right or wrong, it just is what it is. I have no doubts that GG is a heII of an instructor and an equal gentleman to boot, and I’m not saying that I would not go to him because of his casual dress style. I was just simply stating that it looks unprofessional to me, given the clientele he caters to and the profession he is in. I’d feel the same way if he was my investment banker, real estate agent or primary care physician.

Now obviously people are gonna give me a rash of sh*t about it because it probably comes across as me being some elitist d-bag or something. And if that’s the case, oh well.

• Like 1

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

> @Shipwreck said:

> > @proguy said:

> > > @Shipwreck said:

> > > It’s a very minor thing and I can’t even believe it’s something that would come to my attention, but I just find it extremely unprofessional that he’s wearing sandals in some of his instruction videos. I get that it’s SoCal and it’s obviously a culture and style out there.

> >

> > I get it. We are slobs in CA. When I went to Manhattan and dressed up I looked like **** compared to the locals. Their style was sharp and I must admit I was a little jealous until I got home and enjoyed the ocean breeze between my toes.

>

> LOL not even what I was saying, and I apologize if it came across that way. Trust me I know what it’s like to live in sandals and I lived in SD for 4 years. Cali just has a natural laid back style that only they can get away with. It’s not right or wrong, it just is what it is. I have no doubts that GG is a heII of an instructor and an equal gentleman to boot, and I’m not saying that I would not go to him because of his casual dress style. I was just simply stating that it looks unprofessional to me, given the clientele he caters to and the profession he is in. I’d feel the same way if he was my investment banker, real estate agent or primary care physician.

>

> Now obviously people are gonna give me a rash of sh*t about it because it probably comes across as me being some elitist **** or something. And if that’s the case, oh well.

lol, this is where you're losing me. Are you comparing the appropriate attire of an investment banker to that of a golf instructor? Ironically, I'm an investment banker sitting here in a polo and skinny khakis on a Friday, haha.

> @chigolfer1 said:

> > @Shipwreck said:

> > > @proguy said:

> > > > @Shipwreck said:

> > > > It’s a very minor thing and I can’t even believe it’s something that would come to my attention, but I just find it extremely unprofessional that he’s wearing sandals in some of his instruction videos. I get that it’s SoCal and it’s obviously a culture and style out there.

> > >

> > > I get it. We are slobs in CA. When I went to Manhattan and dressed up I looked like **** compared to the locals. Their style was sharp and I must admit I was a little jealous until I got home and enjoyed the ocean breeze between my toes.

> >

> > LOL not even what I was saying, and I apologize if it came across that way. Trust me I know what it’s like to live in sandals and I lived in SD for 4 years. Cali just has a natural laid back style that only they can get away with. It’s not right or wrong, it just is what it is. I have no doubts that GG is a heII of an instructor and an equal gentleman to boot, and I’m not saying that I would not go to him because of his casual dress style. I was just simply stating that it looks unprofessional to me, given the clientele he caters to and the profession he is in. I’d feel the same way if he was my investment banker, real estate agent or primary care physician.

> >

> > Now obviously people are gonna give me a rash of sh*t about it because it probably comes across as me being some elitist **** or something. And if that’s the case, oh well.

>

> lol, this is where you're losing me. Are you comparing the appropriate attire of an investment banker to that of a golf instructor? Ironically, I'm an investment banker sitting here in a polo and skinny khakis on a Friday, haha.

I didn’t say anything about his attire, just about him wearing sandals. Are you wearing sandals to the office today?

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS