HIGH school golf ...give them your best tip/tips.

Here in Pennsylvania high school golf is going to start in a week or two, what are some of your best tips to better scores.

A couple of mine

- make that bag as light as possible...clean out all the stuff you don’t need. Carry only a few balls. Need energy coming home.

- Shorten the bag straps so that the bag is resting on your back and not banging on the back of your knees.

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

It's OK to leave the driver in the bag on certain holes where driver won't give you an advantage. Example: 300 to 330 yard par 4, if you hit a 4 iron/hybrid off the tee chances are you're still going to have a wedge or short iron in your hand for your approach shot.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0
3 wood - Cobra F8
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
Wedges - Vokey SM5 50°, Cleveland Zipcore 54°, Cleveland Zipcore 58°
Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab 3

Use a pushcart.

Don't try to protect a good round by "parring" in. Try to make as many birdies as you can.

If you're not hitting well, just hit 3/4 punch shots. Give yourself a chance for par.

When you hit into trouble, just punch out to the 100 yard marker.

Be sure to mark all your balls.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Focus on putting / chipping. Being able to scramble will save the days when you're not feeling it with irons!

TM 2017 M2 9.5 (set at 7.5 & 4* Open) - Project X HZRDS Black 75g Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* - Project X HZRDS Black 75g Callaway Apex UT - 18* KBS C-Taper 130g Srixon Z785 - 4-PW - KBS $-Taper 130g PVD Finish Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 50/54/60 - KBS Tour V 120x Odyssey O-Works #2

Let's go to the range and MEASURE how far you hit the ball on AVERAGE with all of your clubs. That way when you're on the course, you can play the shots that are LIKELY to help you shoot the best score that day. I know you hit it much farther on your best hit. We'll measure again in a few weeks to get your new average.

A 6 is a LOT better than a 7

If we're the best short putting team we're gonna kick some azz.

If we're the best lag putting team we'll win most of our matches.

The best tip is to relax and have fun with your teammates.

Regionals/States in high school mean little beyond bragging rights. Anyone looking for casual tips is probably not going to go far anyway.

Regular season matches with nothing on the line literally mean nothing beyond personal satisfaction - so might as well enjoy the experience.

> @2bGood said:

> Don’t spend all your time on the golf course. Chase girls as much as you chase birdies. Your best golfing days go on for a LONG time. Your best ‘dating’ days fade fast.

Funny you say this. Recently had a discussion with a college coach. He said "I don't want the kid that is going to go by the golf course to a girl's house."

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @BrianMcG said:

> Use a pushcart.

> Don't try to protect a good round by "parring" in. Try to make as many birdies as you can.

> If you're not hitting well, just hit 3/4 punch shots. Give yourself a chance for par.

> When you hit into trouble, just punch out to the 100 yard marker.

> Be sure to mark all your balls.

Also, maybe try carrying a bag instead of a pushcart. Not all courses allow carts. Better to know what its like during a practice round.

> @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

> > @BrianMcG said:

> > Use a pushcart.

> > Don't try to protect a good round by "parring" in. Try to make as many birdies as you can.

> > If you're not hitting well, just hit 3/4 punch shots. Give yourself a chance for par.

> > When you hit into trouble, just punch out to the 100 yard marker.

> > Be sure to mark all your balls.

>

> Also, maybe try carrying a bag instead of a pushcart. Not all courses allow carts. Better to know what its like during a practice round.

>

>

Our Team has to carry. We only play 2-3 home matches a year. Basically, the rest of our schedule is 36 hole events across the state. Traveling out to Arizona as well. Coach doesn't believe in 9 hole events. With all the traveling they have to carry.

> @2bGood said:

> Don’t spend all your time on the golf course. Chase girls as much as you chase birdies. Your best golfing days go on for a LONG time. Your best ‘dating’ days fade fast.

Tiger Woods would disagree with this.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

> @munny11 said:

> Learn to count/pay attention to other players scores in your group. In our area certain schools have built a reputation of players consistently saying their score is lower than actual.

Sometimes you better pay attention to the kids on your own team.

> @munny11 said:

> Learn to count/pay attention to other players scores in your group. In our area certain schools have built a reputation of players consistently saying their score is lower than actual.

Agree with @heavy_hitter about kids on your team. The upper classman need to ensure their team is in order.

> Our Team has to carry. We only play 2-3 home matches a year. Basically, the rest of our schedule is 36 hole events across the state. Traveling out to Arizona as well. Coach doesn't believe in 9 hole events. With all the traveling they have to carry."

Personally, other than the first week or two. I hate high school season. He goes to the range for an hour of practice or two. The team has 1-2 matches a week. I hate the 9 hole match format. Usually their first week they play invitational tournaments. Not enough of them IMHO. If the school wanted to go matches let the less experienced play those and the playing 5 go to tournaments.

> > @munny11 said:

> > Learn to count/pay attention to other players scores in your group. In our area certain schools have built a reputation of players consistently saying their score is lower than actual.

> Agree with @heavy_hitter about kids on your team. The upper classman need to ensure their team is in order.

Sometimes the upper classmen are the main culprits trying protect their spot over the younger talent.

From a former High School Golf Coach these are what I have observed and are not confined to better scores, just some overall tips:

1) Put away your macho card and use a push cart when you can. Your back, legs, and overall physical shape will thank you. When you carry break your bag down to the bare necessities.

2) Keep your grades and behavior in check at all times. Nothing will make a coach more angry than having to deal with idiocy outside of team functions.

3) Be a positive teammate. Trust me, the kid who just came in with a bad score either already feels like crap about it or doesn't care. In either case being a jerk to him doesn't help the situation.

4) This is my biggest: Make a checklist for practice and for matches and make sure you have everything you need. Balls, tees, rangefinder, uniform, etc. Anything you know you will need, double check to make sure it is ready to go. This includes double checking equipment periodically. Had a kid show up to a match and not realize his driver shaft had gotten a crack in it.

5) Have fun with your teammates, this is not football or basketball so you will not find a ton of outpouring support from the student body. Therefore you better count on that small group of people to really be your support system.

"5) Have fun with your teammates, this is not football or basketball so you will not find a ton of outpouring support from the student body. Therefore you better count on that small group of people to really be your support system."

Only support is usually an announcement on the PA that these 5 players are playing today at Districts today. Meanwhile, there is a twitter feed on football summer practice like its the NFL.

Yes, I know I'm bitter. :-)

> "5) Have fun with your teammates, this is not football or basketball so you will not find a ton of outpouring support from the student body. Therefore you better count on that small group of people to really be your support system."

>

> Only support is usually an announcement on the PA that these 5 players are playing today at Districts today. Meanwhile, there is a twitter feed on football summer practice like its the NFL.

>

> Yes, I know I'm bitter. :-)

With what I do I am in and out of High School Athletic facilities usually on a daily basis. A lot of the football coaches around here are my friends. I have had several discussion with them over the year and they all said if your kid wants to walk normal when they are 40 then don't play football. Most of the football coaches envy the kids playing golf.

I pretty much grew up on Football and Basketball. I lived for it every day of the week I now have to be at football games most Friday nights and I honestly dread it. Football and Basketball have become to commercial. It has become about the pageantry of the sport and what they wear, how big their jumbo tron is, and the facilities. It is all about the side show and I don't like it. Kids in these sports also aren't tough anymore. Football has become basketball on a 100 yard long field.

• Like 1

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

> > "5) Have fun with your teammates, this is not football or basketball so you will not find a ton of outpouring support from the student body. Therefore you better count on that small group of people to really be your support system."

> >

> > Only support is usually an announcement on the PA that these 5 players are playing today at Districts today. Meanwhile, there is a twitter feed on football summer practice like its the NFL.

> >

> > Yes, I know I'm bitter. :-)

>

> With what I do I am in and out of High School Athletic facilities usually on a daily basis. A lot of the football coaches around here are my friends. I have had several discussion with them over the year and they all said if your kid wants to walk normal when they are 40 then don't play football. Most of the football coaches envy the kids playing golf.

>

> I pretty much grew up on Football and Basketball. I lived for it every day of the week I now have to be at football games most Friday nights and I honestly dread it. Football and Basketball have become to commercial. It has become about the pageantry of the sport and what they wear, how big their jumbo tron is, and the facilities. It is all about the side show and I don't like it. Kids in these sports also aren't tough anymore. Football has become basketball on a 100 yard long field.

The movement of turning High School football and basketball players into mini celebrities is nauseating. The simple idea of a "High School Media Day" is one of the most insane things I have ever encountered in my life.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

> > > "5) Have fun with your teammates, this is not football or basketball so you will not find a ton of outpouring support from the student body. Therefore you better count on that small group of people to really be your support system."

> > >

> > > Only support is usually an announcement on the PA that these 5 players are playing today at Districts today. Meanwhile, there is a twitter feed on football summer practice like its the NFL.

> > >

> > > Yes, I know I'm bitter. :-)

> >

> > With what I do I am in and out of High School Athletic facilities usually on a daily basis. A lot of the football coaches around here are my friends. I have had several discussion with them over the year and they all said if your kid wants to walk normal when they are 40 then don't play football. Most of the football coaches envy the kids playing golf.

> >

> > I pretty much grew up on Football and Basketball. I lived for it every day of the week I now have to be at football games most Friday nights and I honestly dread it. Football and Basketball have become to commercial. It has become about the pageantry of the sport and what they wear, how big their jumbo tron is, and the facilities. It is all about the side show and I don't like it. Kids in these sports also aren't tough anymore. Football has become basketball on a 100 yard long field.

>

> The movement of turning High School football and basketball players into mini celebrities is nauseating. The simple idea of a "High School Media Day" is one of the most insane things I have ever encountered in my life.

I agree. I used to live for college football and I simply don't care any more. It is all about the glamour and every team runs a variety (or lack there of )of the same spread offense. I watch FSU games, but after my alma mater hired Willie Taggert I have a hard time even turning them on anymore.

Read "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" by Bob Rotella. Also read "Harvey Penick's Little Red Golf Book."

Practice on the golf course as much as possible. Be friendly, have fun.

Taylormade Qi10 9*, GD AD-VF 6X
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade P790 4i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

> @kekoa said:

> Is HS golf something a top Junior should even play?

Its a dilemma right? If you do then a section of your season is dedicated to it. If you don't then it's like "What are you to good for it" or Why didn't you play on the team (anti-social)?

I understand there's arguments for both.