The 200 Yard Par 3 - How Do You Play It?

The par 3's on the back where I ranger are 213 and 220. They are kinda a real test. I use a 7 wood or a 5 wood, depending on the tee and the pin location. I play those about 3 times a week and more than any other hole, including the par 5's, those long 3's have really forced me to sharpen up my fairway wood accuracy, as one prefers a draw and one prefers a fade or straight. If you can give up a long iron, adding a 7 or a 5 can really give you confidence on that 200-225 shot.

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Since you don't have a 200 yard reliable shot you should assess the siituation. If there's water in front of the greeen you should choose the club that will most often get you over the pond. If you hit it 30 yards past the flag and provided there's no problems there, you still have a shot for par - and an easy bogey is anyway in reach. If there's trouble behind the green you should choose a club that never gets you there.

You may even be better off aiming short or long, left or right of the green. High handicappers believe that they always should hit the ball towards the flag. That's why they regularly struggle with getting back to the fairway after hitting into the woods. The best players in the world often follow a plan that minimizes the concequences of a bad shot. Sometimes the easiest and safest route to the hole requires a shot where you don't even aim for the green.

>

> No, the most loathed for me is the 250 yd par 3 at a rival course...

>

I don't get a course having a 250yd Par 3. I remember the PGA championship having a 250yd downhill Par 3. That's a major championship. Even for those playing the back tees, why have a hole set up that long?

In search of solid contact...

> @"Lefty Light HItter" said:

> >

> > No, the most loathed for me is the 250 yd par 3 at a rival course...

>

> >

> I don't get a course having a 250yd Par 3. I remember the PGA championship having a 250yd downhill Par 3. That's a major championship. Even for those playing the back tees, why have a hole set up that long?

>

For the course it adds some difficulty. The preceding two holes are par 3 120 from the tips, par 4 300. Next hole is par 3 160 followed by par 4 460, par 3 115.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @"Lefty Light HItter" said:

> >

> > No, the most loathed for me is the 250 yd par 3 at a rival course...

>

> >

> I don't get a course having a 250yd Par 3. I remember the PGA championship having a 250yd downhill Par 3. That's a major championship. Even for those playing the back tees, why have a hole set up that long?

>

Poor design IMO. One local course was redone recently, really nice honestly, but there is one stupid long par 3 that is just out of place and doesnt make sense. It's so long they almost always have the tees up otherwise you got guys hitting woods from the whites on a par 3.

> @Krt22 said:

> > @"Lefty Light HItter" said:

> > >

> > > No, the most loathed for me is the 250 yd par 3 at a rival course...

> >

> > >

> > I don't get a course having a 250yd Par 3. I remember the PGA championship having a 250yd downhill Par 3. That's a major championship. Even for those playing the back tees, why have a hole set up that long?

> >

>

> Poor design IMO. One local course was redone recently, really nice honestly, but there is one stupid long par 3 that is just out of place and doesnt make sense. It's so long they almost always have the tees up otherwise you got guys hitting woods from the whites on a par 3.

This is a state and USGA qualifying course.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @"Lefty Light HItter" said:

> > > >

> > > > No, the most loathed for me is the 250 yd par 3 at a rival course...

> > >

> > > >

> > > I don't get a course having a 250yd Par 3. I remember the PGA championship having a 250yd downhill Par 3. That's a major championship. Even for those playing the back tees, why have a hole set up that long?

> > >

> >

> > Poor design IMO. One local course was redone recently, really nice honestly, but there is one stupid long par 3 that is just out of place and doesnt make sense. It's so long they almost always have the tees up otherwise you got guys hitting woods from the whites on a par 3.

>

> This is a state and USGA qualifying course.

That doesn't change anything, although in that config they may have alternate tees to trick it up. I am talking about a normal course with a 200+ par 3 when the total course length is like 6300yards

> @Krt22 said:

> > @SNIPERBBB said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > @"Lefty Light HItter" said:

> > > > >

> > > > > No, the most loathed for me is the 250 yd par 3 at a rival course...

> > > >

> > > > >

> > > > I don't get a course having a 250yd Par 3. I remember the PGA championship having a 250yd downhill Par 3. That's a major championship. Even for those playing the back tees, why have a hole set up that long?

> > > >

> > >

> > > Poor design IMO. One local course was redone recently, really nice honestly, but there is one stupid long par 3 that is just out of place and doesnt make sense. It's so long they almost always have the tees up otherwise you got guys hitting woods from the whites on a par 3.

> >

> > This is a state and USGA qualifying course.

>

> That doesn't change anything, although in that config they may have alternate tees to trick it up. I am talking about a normal course with a 200+ par 3 when the total course length is like 6500yards

This course is 6240 tipped. Par 70 with 6 par 3s. Not enough real estate to make this a par 4. Its more reasonable at the normal tees but I never play their outside competition or practice for competition there. Good thing is you got 40 yards on either side of the green before you get to the tree line and no other line, it's flat and generous fairway in front.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Depends on how big the green is. From 200 yards out the average Tour player puts it to about 36-feet to the hole. They will also hit it about 30 feet offline on average.

Now, I know they are Tour players, but you can only develop a meaningful strategy for a reasonable quality of shot. In other words, no amount of strategy is going to help any golfer if they hit a poor enough shot. So, I utilize the Tour averages (based on my research) because it's something achievable as it's not a 'great' standard and it allows me to utilize strategy on enough shots to make that strategy meaningful.

So armed with that, I want to be have a target that is 36 feet from any hazard or front bunker (front bunkers are much more likely to end up plugged). And for the rest, I want a target that is at least 30-feet away from things like the rough.

What you'll find is this...most par-3's over 150 yards you're probably better off aiming and hitting enough club for the center of the green. The odds of being able to go at a flag from that distance and finding the green go way down. And on Tour, you'll find about only a handful of golfers play par-3's better than par for the season. Thus, if you're making pars on a par-3...particularly one from 200 yards...you're playing them better than most everybody else. Furthermore, on most par-3's if you're directly in the center of the green (from a directional and distance standpoint), your odds of making par are quite good. You may not get that birdie, but you're really reducing your chances of making bogey.

Here's a par-3 on my home club. It plays roughly 200 yards. The green is 102 feet long and 70 feet wide. You can't go long (or too far left and a little long) because the ball will careen off the hill and go OB.

With a green 70-feet wide on 200 yard shot, (where the Tour avg prox 2 cup is 36-feet to the hole) the best play is to the directional center of the green.

l1wbvon6hgvb.png

Even if the pin is back right I don't play for the pin because it's now a longer shot and that increases my shot dispersion (and if you miss a little long you are OB).

So I just try to get to the center of the green, 2-putt and get out of there.

For your situation, I would recommend hitting that 5-iron to get there, and on most greens from 200-yards you probably just want to play for the direct center of the green. If you can't hit your 5-iron to save your life, then you know what club to practice with on the range. Just don't create a strategy that makes it any harder for you to hit that 5-iron you struggle with and you can come up with pars and bogeys instead of bogeys and doubles.

RH

• Like 2

The long par 3 has always been (to me) what separates the consistent players from the not-so-consistent. If you can hit pin high without bringing unnecessary trouble into play, you have to get the ball there. Consistent distance is the plague of the mid/high handicap golfer, so you need to hit the club that will minimize that. Swinging a hard 5 or 6 iron will get you on the green occasionally, but more often than not you'll be short - sometimes very short. Even if you hit it right online, a 40 yard chip is still probably bogey or worse.

Forget about the pin, aim to the part of the green with the least trouble, and take the club that will get the ball there without overswinging. If it is a hybrid and it hooks, so be it. You'll get better.

Also, set proper expectations. Low handicap players are going to miss the green from that distance quite a bit as well.

Really depends on 2 factors for me. Where is the trouble and how windy is it?

If the trouble is pin high or long I’m looking to run it in from front edge or just short with a trap 6 iron. If I’m in the uk in the height of summer that can become a trap 7 or 8 iron due to the ground being like concrete! If it’s a 200 yard carry it’ll be a 20 degree hybrid gripped down an inch and played as a 10-15 yard fade. This normally carries 215.

If it’s windy - read almost always when playing uk golf, I’m getting creative and hitting whatever takes the trouble out of play. If like today I’m in the uk and it’s gusting 50mph, the ball isn’t getting more than 30-40 feet in the air unless the wind is with me! Tomorrow is “only” gusting 30mph and that’s when I’m playing.

Depends, depends. Fortunately I don't have that come up one any of the courses I usually play. BUT seeing this thread reminds me of such a hole encountered just a little over a week ago. 16th (Partan Craig - just threw that in because the naming of the holes over there fascinates me) at Glen Golf Club, North Berwick. Huge elevation change downhill and this photo will not do justice to that at all. That evening the wind was brisk and in off the forth and the yardage for me was 208 to the pin. For me it was either hit a 3w full (which I hit too high according to the consensus of all people Irish or Scottish, lol, I encountered over there - "has she burned up in re-entry?" a caddie enjoyed asking me the day before elsewhere) and likely going who knows where or trying to hit a low bullet and hope for the best. As luck would have it (and this is a wrx story after all) I hit a dead straight low, piercing little 3w (couldn't believe it myself) - ended up catching a good bounce and roll and rolled onto the green and to the back (from where I proceeded to take 3 friggin putts). 200 is awkward distance for me, 4h okay on a no wind, level elevation hole, but throw in a little more yardage and/or headwind and I'm either laying up with the 4h or trying to do something with a 3w (no 5w in the bag for a few years now). I keep reading Cardoustie's recommendations on those Callaways - I need a 5h in the worst way and can't match the old 4h with anything I can find on the used market, so will be doing some Apex research today!

y34003cov6p1.jpeg

Play a par 3 that's 205 to 235. Bunkers and OB left, water right. Use a #4i to 5W depending but shot is always left side low fade. Move the ball back an inch and keep body and club low throughout, and look to run it up. If I miss left, bunkers catch it, if I leak right there's plenty of space to avoid water. I only go high & full carry if it's shorter (<210) and downwind. Double bogey is out of play with this.

It depends how many of them you have at your course. If you only have 1 long par 3 i wouldn't stress a ton. Just try to get it around the green in a safe spot and get up and down, or take your 4. Just don't make a mess of it.....i mean 200yd par 3's are generally hard even for low indexes. Chances are everyone has a hole on their course that just gives them fits.

If you have like 3-4 of them on your course, better find a club that allows you to hit that yardage consistently and with a decent trajectory. Even if it's somewhat of a specialty club. Hybrids are always a good bet, or a driving iron of some sort using a tee.

I actually played a course today that had five par 3's and 4 of them were over 200yds. Not a lot of fun.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

4 iron, aim for the left fringe and power fade it somewhere.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

> @RichieHunt said:

> Depends on how big the green is. From 200 yards out the average Tour player puts it to about 36-feet to the hole. They will also hit it about 30 feet offline on average.

>

> Now, I know they are Tour players, but you can only develop a meaningful strategy for a reasonable quality of shot. In other words, no amount of strategy is going to help any golfer if they hit a poor enough shot. So, I utilize the Tour averages (based on my research) because it's something achievable as it's not a 'great' standard and it allows me to utilize strategy on enough shots to make that strategy meaningful.

>

> So armed with that, I want to be have a target that is 36 feet from any hazard or front bunker (front bunkers are much more likely to end up plugged). And for the rest, I want a target that is at least 30-feet away from things like the rough.

>

> What you'll find is this...most par-3's over 150 yards you're probably better off aiming and hitting enough club for the center of the green. The odds of being able to go at a flag from that distance and finding the green go way down. And on Tour, you'll find about only a handful of golfers play par-3's better than par for the season. Thus, if you're making pars on a par-3...particularly one from 200 yards...you're playing them better than most everybody else. Furthermore, on most par-3's if you're directly in the center of the green (from a directional and distance standpoint), your odds of making par are quite good. You may not get that birdie, but you're really reducing your chances of making bogey.

>

> Here's a par-3 on my home club. It plays roughly 200 yards. The green is 102 feet long and 70 feet wide. You can't go long (or too far left and a little long) because the ball will careen off the hill and go OB.

>

> With a green 70-feet wide on 200 yard shot, (where the Tour avg prox 2 cup is 36-feet to the hole) the best play is to the directional center of the green.

>

> l1wbvon6hgvb.png

>

> Even if the pin is back right I don't play for the pin because it's now a longer shot and that increases my shot dispersion (and if you miss a little long you are OB).

>

> So I just try to get to the center of the green, 2-putt and get out of there.

>

> For your situation, I would recommend hitting that 5-iron to get there, and on most greens from 200-yards you probably just want to play for the direct center of the green. If you can't hit your 5-iron to save your life, then you know what club to practice with on the range. Just don't create a strategy that makes it any harder for you to hit that 5-iron you struggle with and you can come up with pars and bogeys instead of bogeys and doubles.

>

>

>

>

> RH

>

Now I know where Patient Zero of the 5-1/2 hour round is...

I kid, I kid.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

One local course here in Central Illinois has two 200+ yard par 3s. As many have said, it’s best to play for a safe miss, and get up and down.

The 230y is quite a bit downhill with a 3 to 4° sloped green from back to front. Probably plays best with a slight draw. I’ll usually play 3W there, but hit it twice last year with a 5W and some tail wind.

The 207y is quite a small green for this distance. I have rarely hit this green even with my best 5W or 3Hy shots. It’s probably meant to hit with a slight fade. As you can see, they also play in opposite directions to negate any helping wind.

0ad7zxaphfat.jpeg

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

> @dan360 said:

> > @RichieHunt said:

> > Depends on how big the green is. From 200 yards out the average Tour player puts it to about 36-feet to the hole. They will also hit it about 30 feet offline on average.

> >

> > Now, I know they are Tour players, but you can only develop a meaningful strategy for a reasonable quality of shot. In other words, no amount of strategy is going to help any golfer if they hit a poor enough shot. So, I utilize the Tour averages (based on my research) because it's something achievable as it's not a 'great' standard and it allows me to utilize strategy on enough shots to make that strategy meaningful.

> >

> > So armed with that, I want to be have a target that is 36 feet from any hazard or front bunker (front bunkers are much more likely to end up plugged). And for the rest, I want a target that is at least 30-feet away from things like the rough.

> >

> > What you'll find is this...most par-3's over 150 yards you're probably better off aiming and hitting enough club for the center of the green. The odds of being able to go at a flag from that distance and finding the green go way down. And on Tour, you'll find about only a handful of golfers play par-3's better than par for the season. Thus, if you're making pars on a par-3...particularly one from 200 yards...you're playing them better than most everybody else. Furthermore, on most par-3's if you're directly in the center of the green (from a directional and distance standpoint), your odds of making par are quite good. You may not get that birdie, but you're really reducing your chances of making bogey.

> >

> > Here's a par-3 on my home club. It plays roughly 200 yards. The green is 102 feet long and 70 feet wide. You can't go long (or too far left and a little long) because the ball will careen off the hill and go OB.

> >

> > With a green 70-feet wide on 200 yard shot, (where the Tour avg prox 2 cup is 36-feet to the hole) the best play is to the directional center of the green.

> >

> > l1wbvon6hgvb.png

> >

> > Even if the pin is back right I don't play for the pin because it's now a longer shot and that increases my shot dispersion (and if you miss a little long you are OB).

> >

> > So I just try to get to the center of the green, 2-putt and get out of there.

> >

> > For your situation, I would recommend hitting that 5-iron to get there, and on most greens from 200-yards you probably just want to play for the direct center of the green. If you can't hit your 5-iron to save your life, then you know what club to practice with on the range. Just don't create a strategy that makes it any harder for you to hit that 5-iron you struggle with and you can come up with pars and bogeys instead of bogeys and doubles.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > RH

> >

>

> Now I know where Patient Zero of the 5-1/2 hour round is...

>

> I kid, I kid.

I know you're kidding, but I've usually been a speedy player and now I play even faster. Do the preparation before the round and then I don't have to think about that stuff on the course.

That's what some of the more analytical types are missing. Do the thinking and analysis before the round so you don't over-think during the round.

RH