How much do you pay for golf lessons?

dlow206

I took a few lessons recently which were $50 per 30 minutes, and I thought the pricing was pretty reasonable. However, I need more coaching on my swing than was offered by this instructor. Looking at other options in my area, prices are over $100 per lesson (30 to 45 min). These prices make golftec look like a good value.

Be specific on what you're looking for in the new couching.

Are you looking to redo the whole golf swing ? To improve certain area ? If you don't know what you're looking for, then, do you what would you "expect" out of a golf lesson ?

My answer to your question may not be popular, since no one like to pay for a lesson mostly just discussion of the golf swing. But that's to fix your head, so you'll understand the perspective from a very good player. And the second is to find it, refine it, in the dirt. In the old days, golfers will hit thousands of golf balls until the light bulb is lite.

It will be a hard grind, yet the most effective way.

I would find a local guy whom could match your current skill level and could take you to the next level. Depending on the area you're in and the reputation of the instructor, you could be paying not that much higher than what you're used to or you could pay 3-5 times of that, easy, if not more.

I pay $125 per hour... My instructors facility is on a range that I frequent. He does walkby’s while I’m hitting and makes sure I’m still on track.. as the above poster said, let them know what you’re looking for.. I was a 10 handicap battling the hosel rocket.. took 1 lesson got my swing on path and my last 2 rounds have been 1 over! I clearly told him before the lesson that I didn’t want to start over since I could shoot high 70s low 80s regularly!! Just wanted to breakthrough!! After my lesson I’m well on track. Will probably go back in a month or so!!! Well worth the $$$

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

> @wkuo3 said:

> Be specific on what you're looking for in the new couching.

> Are you looking to redo the whole golf swing ? To improve certain area ? If you don't know what you're looking for, then, do you what would you "expect" out of a golf lesson ?

> My answer to your question may not be popular, since no one like to pay for a lesson mostly just discussion of the golf swing. But that's to fix your head, so you'll understand the perspective from a very good player. And the second is to find it, refine it, in the dirt. In the old days, golfers will hit thousands of golf balls until the light bulb is lite.

> It will be a hard grind, yet the most effective way.

> I would find a local guy whom could match your current skill level and could take you to the next level. Depending on the area you're in and the reputation of the instructor, you could be paying not that much higher than what you're used to or you could pay 3-5 times of that, easy, if not more.

That's fair. I guess I was just expecting more instruction. I started playing golf a long time ago, but with many years of gap in between, so for all intensive purposes, I am a beginner, but know the basics of how to hold a club and the theoreticals on how I should be swinging my club. Something is so wrong with my driver swing that my average driver distance and average 6 iron distance were about the same (160 yards carry). So I guess I was just expecting more basic beginner fundamental help with my driver swing.

• Like 1

> @dlow206 said:

> I took a few lessons recently which were $50 per 30 minutes, and I thought the pricing was pretty reasonable. However, I need more coaching on my swing than was offered by this instructor. Looking at other options in my area, prices are over $100 per lesson (30 to 45 min). These prices make golftec look like a good value.

If you go the GolfTec route, make sure you look into the specific instructor you’re working with first. They have some good ones and some... less than good ones. At the end of day, it’s hard to expect to find a lot of great instructors at a place that pays less than $20/hour.

> @dlow206 said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> > Be specific on what you're looking for in the new couching.

> > Are you looking to redo the whole golf swing ? To improve certain area ? If you don't know what you're looking for, then, do you what would you "expect" out of a golf lesson ?

> > My answer to your question may not be popular, since no one like to pay for a lesson mostly just discussion of the golf swing. But that's to fix your head, so you'll understand the perspective from a very good player. And the second is to find it, refine it, in the dirt. In the old days, golfers will hit thousands of golf balls until the light bulb is lite.

> > It will be a hard grind, yet the most effective way.

> > I would find a local guy whom could match your current skill level and could take you to the next level. Depending on the area you're in and the reputation of the instructor, you could be paying not that much higher than what you're used to or you could pay 3-5 times of that, easy, if not more.

>

> That's fair. I guess I was just expecting more instruction. I started playing golf a long time ago, but with many years of gap in between, so for all intensive purposes, I am a beginner, but know the basics of how to hold a club and the theoreticals on how I should be swinging my club. Something is so wrong with my driver swing that my average driver distance and average 6 iron distance were about the same (160 yards carry). So I guess I was just expecting more basic beginner fundamental help with my driver swing.

Yes, that does not sound right. It could be the equipment and/or the golf swing, but not likely.

If your 6 iron carry distance is 160, then you don't have an issue in swing speed. My guess is the equipment.

Have someone look at your driver and your golf swing first before you start to take lessons again.

It does not have to be a paid service, you can try to use your friend's driver to compare. A pair of experienced eyes could spot a lot of things.

> @wkuo3 said:

> > @dlow206 said:

> > > @wkuo3 said:

> > > Be specific on what you're looking for in the new couching.

> > > Are you looking to redo the whole golf swing ? To improve certain area ? If you don't know what you're looking for, then, do you what would you "expect" out of a golf lesson ?

> > > My answer to your question may not be popular, since no one like to pay for a lesson mostly just discussion of the golf swing. But that's to fix your head, so you'll understand the perspective from a very good player. And the second is to find it, refine it, in the dirt. In the old days, golfers will hit thousands of golf balls until the light bulb is lite.

> > > It will be a hard grind, yet the most effective way.

> > > I would find a local guy whom could match your current skill level and could take you to the next level. Depending on the area you're in and the reputation of the instructor, you could be paying not that much higher than what you're used to or you could pay 3-5 times of that, easy, if not more.

> >

> > That's fair. I guess I was just expecting more instruction. I started playing golf a long time ago, but with many years of gap in between, so for all intensive purposes, I am a beginner, but know the basics of how to hold a club and the theoreticals on how I should be swinging my club. Something is so wrong with my driver swing that my average driver distance and average 6 iron distance were about the same (160 yards carry). So I guess I was just expecting more basic beginner fundamental help with my driver swing.

>

> Yes, that does not sound right. It could be the equipment and/or the golf swing, but not likely.

> If your 6 iron carry distance is 160, then you don't have an issue in swing speed. My guess is the equipment.

> Have someone look at your driver and your golf swing first before you start to take lessons again.

> It does not have to be a paid service, you can try to use your friend's driver to compare. A pair of experienced eyes could spot a lot of things.

>

It's definitely a swing issue. I've been struggling with my driver for a while now, except for the range session before my lesson when I was swinging well. When swinging well with the driver, it was going an estimated 250 yards plus (didn't have the Trackman for that session). I do have a golftec lesson coming up later this week, so I think the swing issue will show up on the video for sure.

• Like 1

$85 an hour in FL. I also agree with the others who said have a specific goal. As a 'beginner' as you said a series might be best. I know it helps me when there's more than one thing wrong. Leaving with one or two swing thoughts and how they apply instead of trying to fix the entire problem in an hour will do wonders for the most important golf muscle, the brain.

I think online, Tyler Ferrell, is around 50 (including subscription), Athletic Motion Golf is like 70? Dana Dahlquist was like 150 and George Gankas (2-3 years ago) was 75.

In person, my regular pro is 100, recently went to Eric Cogorno, he was 150. I think Shauheen Nakhjavani was like 200 Canadian or something like that.

Some people like playing courses all around the world, some people get lots of equipment, I like picking people's minds.

> @nevets88 said:

> I think online, Tyler Ferrell, is around 50 (including subscription), Athletic Motion Golf is like 70? Dana Dahlquist was like 150 and George Gankas (2-3 years ago) was 75.

>

> In person, my regular pro is 100, recently went to Eric Cogorno, he was 150. I think Shauheen Nakhjavani was like 200 Canadian or something like that.

>

> Some people like playing courses all around the world, some people get lots of equipment, I like picking people's minds.

Online lessons with the instructor providing customized feedback is an intriguing idea, had never thought about that. Going to look into that as well.

There are some old guys at my club, I have learned more from them in 15 minutes, then I believe you could learn from someone who charges $200 an hour. I find the whole golf instruction thing hilarious, what these guys get...well good for them. A lot of them are uneducated and making more than an accountant, lawyer, or even MD. Good for them, wonder how many are laughing behind our backs.

I'd expect around £40 for an hour but at the moment I'm paying £25 for an occasional half an hour's targeted instruction from our course director. He doesn't have time for anything more (or rather tends to reserve it for people who really need it) but thankfully he's very good at spotting a fault and fixing it, which is all I currently need.

Local pro is $50 for 45min -1 hour.

5 lessons for $100 high school students IF you are on a school golf team.

He doesn't mess with your swing unless he has too.

For older people, he works with what you already have , and fixes the problems you want to fix.

Fantastic guy.

He also videos your swing, and shows you what to work on.

He then encourages you to video your swing, and check certain things yourself.

Have an instructor here in town I took a series of 4 (45 min) lessons from a few years ago for $175. Go to see him whenever I'm struggling and he does a quick 20 min tune up for $20.

Totally worth it considering a large bucket of range balls is $12 to begin with. Nothing high tech about it but he's been teaching for 40+ years and knows my swing and my usual quarks/flaws when they rear their nasty head. Just saw him today for the 3rd time this summer. Leaves me with one or two thoughts to focus on as I finish up the 50 or so balls I have left after he's done working with me.

I would be interested to take a series at golftec down in Reno sometime to see if I could benefit from all the technology

I have a more unique arrangement. I toss my guy $500 at the beginning of the year and tell him to let me know when/if he needs more.

I love the 5min lesson, or just have a look at my swing type of thing. Most years I figure I use about 2 hours of his time. It is rarely booked, more like if he has time after I finish a round or whatever we go out and hit a few balls and he leaves me with something to work on.

I find this arrangement way better then having a pro feeling like the need to provide 30min of value or whatever. We can find a little something to fix and if it takes 5min great. If we need longer we use longer.

I live in the Jackson, Ms. area. Yesterday, I took my first lesson in years. He charges $65 for 45 minutes or $170 for 3 lessons. The most highly respected instructor in the area charges $120 per hour. Some talk a lot about the barriers to growing the game -- takes too long, too expensive, etc. I think the cost of instruction is one of the barriers. I am now retired but when I worked I made a good living and teaching pros have always wanted more per hour than I was making at the time. I guess they charge what the market will bear but it has always seemed to me that I shouldn't be paying more for lessons on how to __play a game__than nurses and first responders make in an hour.

Do the nurses/first responders pay for their own equipment? How about the sick time, vacation time, insurance, etc., that comes from a full time job?

Why do you think all pros are booked solid every day, including the rainy days and months of snow and cold in half of the country?

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.