WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

Heck yea @drvrwdge !!! Go get it!!!

Edit - got here late. My bad man.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @drvrwdge said:

> Welp, **** the bed today but proud off the way I fought. Played my final 12 holes +1 after a super rough start. Live and learn.

> 38zbjibdihmb.png

>

How on earth do you wind up with $0 winnings when there's a low round out of the money prize? Doesn't your 66 get you anything? Well, besides some serious bragging rights!

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

> @Ty_Webb said:

> > @drvrwdge said:

> > Welp, **** the bed today but proud off the way I fought. Played my final 12 holes +1 after a super rough start. Live and learn.

> > 38zbjibdihmb.png

> >

>

> How on earth do you wind up with $0 winnings when there's a low round out of the money prize? Doesn't your 66 get you anything? Well, besides some serious bragging rights!

Ha! I got low net actually, the payout column isn’t accurate. So not a total waster, plus two CTP’s

Stay Tuned...

I'm playing in a Mid-Am qualifier in a few days. Unfortunately I was unable to get in a practice round. The course has a nice profile on bluegolf.com so I was going to go through it and make a few notes. What do you think are the most important things to look for? Right now I'm going to jot down a "recommended" club for each par 4/5 and make note of any hazards. I want to know a little going in but also don't want to over-analyze.

> @buzzthecat said:

> I'm playing in a Mid-Am qualifier in a few days. Unfortunately I was unable to get in a practice round. The course has a nice profile on bluegolf.com so I was going to go through it and make a few notes. What do you think are the most important things to look for? Right now I'm going to jot down a "recommended" club for each par 4/5 and make note of any hazards. I want to know a little going in but also don't want to over-analyze.

I look for carry distances over bunkers, distances between trouble on each side of the fairway. Anything troubling like a fairway that narrows drastically. If there's enough info out there I'll also try to figure out lines I want to take off tees. For example, if it's a dogleg with bunkers on the inside, I'll check carries over each bunker and run outs on those lines, then figure out what's the ideal line for the hole.

I will say I do a lot of this stuff on google maps, then get out there and it's uphill or downhill or windy and it blows it all apart, but I think it's still useful. I also tend to assume I should be hitting driver unless there's a good reason not to. Then work from there. Mostly I base that on DECADE stuff, so if there's 65 yards between penalty hazards, then it's probably driver, unless it's a short hole or 3 wood lays up to a cross bunker that makes the fairway narrow. I'll also take a look at layup areas on par 5s and see if there are spots I should be hitting to in that situation. I basically don't want to walk onto a tee and be surprised or have no idea what I'm doing.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

> @buzzthecat said:

> I'm playing in a Mid-Am qualifier in a few days. Unfortunately I was unable to get in a practice round. The course has a nice profile on bluegolf.com so I was going to go through it and make a few notes. What do you think are the most important things to look for? Right now I'm going to jot down a "recommended" club for each par 4/5 and make note of any hazards. I want to know a little going in but also don't want to over-analyze.

Not in SC are you ? If so PM me.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @buzzthecat said:

> > I'm playing in a Mid-Am qualifier in a few days. Unfortunately I was unable to get in a practice round. The course has a nice profile on bluegolf.com so I was going to go through it and make a few notes. What do you think are the most important things to look for? Right now I'm going to jot down a "recommended" club for each par 4/5 and make note of any hazards. I want to know a little going in but also don't want to over-analyze.

>

> Not in SC are you ? If so PM me.

Nope, Ohio. Good luck to you if you're playing one soon.

> @buzzthecat said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @buzzthecat said:

> > > I'm playing in a Mid-Am qualifier in a few days. Unfortunately I was unable to get in a practice round. The course has a nice profile on bluegolf.com so I was going to go through it and make a few notes. What do you think are the most important things to look for? Right now I'm going to jot down a "recommended" club for each par 4/5 and make note of any hazards. I want to know a little going in but also don't want to over-analyze.

> >

> > Not in SC are you ? If so PM me.

>

> Nope, Ohio. Good luck to you if you're playing one soon.

Thanks boss. I am. Was going to give you the low down if you were in same as me. I know this course well and it’s all out in front of you.

Good luck to you too !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Played in the Trump Invitational today with top amateurs in the nj/NY/CT area with a bunch of D1 golfers (top 40 or so). Shot 69 (-3) in the am and then crumbled in the afternoon not realizing it was an aggregate scoring over 2 rounds (second round they paired the top 22 ams with charity 3 somes, playing handicapped best ball)...and shot 77 (+5). Sigh. Highlights were 2 eagles, and meeting John Daly and Mr. President himself.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

2 events in the last couple of weeks. Went 76 (one mental mistake, 1 poor swing), 71, 72 in the first one on a course that I'm not comfortable on at all for a T5. This weekend it was 3 straight 71s (-3) to win in pretty tough conditions with a lot of wind and 3 weather delays on the first day. Could have been lower the last day but just needed to get it in the house without making a 10 so I hit iron off the last 3 tees including 2 par 5s.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

> @gioguy21 said:

> Played in the Trump Invitational today with top amateurs in the nj/NY/CT area with a bunch of D1 golfers (top 40 or so). Shot 69 (-3) in the am and then crumbled in the afternoon not realizing it was an aggregate scoring over 2 rounds (second round they paired the top 22 ams with charity 3 somes, playing handicapped best ball)...and shot 77 (+5). Sigh. Highlights were 2 eagles, and meeting John Daly and Mr. President himself.

That's awesome. Did you get any pics?

> @mmack067 said:

> 2 events in the last couple of weeks. Went 76 (one mental mistake, 1 poor swing), 71, 72 in the first one on a course that I'm not comfortable on at all for a T5. This weekend it was 3 straight 71s (-3) to win in pretty tough conditions with a lot of wind and 3 weather delays on the first day. Could have been lower the last day but just needed to get it in the house without making a 10 so I hit iron off the last 3 tees including 2 par 5s.

Congrats, great playing. What events were these?

> @"Ray Jackson" said:

> > @mmack067 said:

> > 2 events in the last couple of weeks. Went 76 (one mental mistake, 1 poor swing), 71, 72 in the first one on a course that I'm not comfortable on at all for a T5. This weekend it was 3 straight 71s (-3) to win in pretty tough conditions with a lot of wind and 3 weather delays on the first day. Could have been lower the last day but just needed to get it in the house without making a 10 so I hit iron off the last 3 tees including 2 par 5s.

>

> Congrats, great playing. What events were these?

First one was the Kawartha Invitational (the course lost all 18 greens over the winter so putting was terribly random this year) and the second was our club championship.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

> @Buckets2 said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > Played in the Trump Invitational today with top amateurs in the nj/NY/CT area with a bunch of D1 golfers (top 40 or so). Shot 69 (-3) in the am and then crumbled in the afternoon not realizing it was an aggregate scoring over 2 rounds (second round they paired the top 22 ams with charity 3 somes, playing handicapped best ball)...and shot 77 (+5). Sigh. Highlights were 2 eagles, and meeting John Daly and Mr. President himself.

>

> That's awesome. Did you get any pics?

we were not allowed to take pics of the clubhouse or grounds - and didn't get pics with Daly or the man himself. i got to take a pic of the leaderboard after the morning and afternoon.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

@Buckets2 no pics of the clubhouse or the course, none of the man or Daly. just one or two of the scoreboards after round 1 and 2.

xq68yxkwhbyd.jpg

egz710sedta9.jpg

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I posted my first round club championship travails earlier in the thread, but just wanted to update that... I won! The thing! The whole thing!

First competitive golf in 15 years - won my first round 2-up after being 3-down after five holes. Second round was against the... 6 time?... club champion who was a college golfer. Won on the 19th hole. In the finals I shot 72 to get me to extra holes (match play), winning on the 19th. Honestly, every match I was playing against someone who was by all objective measures, a better golfer than I am, but the magic of match play plus some adrenaline carried me through.

As a ~4 handicap, shooting 72 in the finals on a tipped-out course against a scratch player definitely takes the cake as the best golfing experience I've had. The match was never more than 1-up in either direction, so tense throughout. Have that competitive bug back!

• Like 2

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (14.5, 19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Black

> @Celebros said:

> I posted my first round club championship travails earlier in the thread, but just wanted to update that... I won! The thing! The whole thing!

>

> First competitive golf in 15 years - won my first round 2-up after being 3-down after five holes. Second round was against the... 6 time?... club champion who was a college golfer. Won on the 19th hole. In the finals I shot 72 to get me to extra holes (match play), winning on the 19th. Honestly, every match I was playing against someone who was by all objective measures, a better golfer than I am, but the magic of match play plus some adrenaline carried me through.

>

> As a ~4 handicap, shooting 72 in the finals on a tipped-out course against a scratch player definitely takes the cake as the best golfing experience I've had. The match was never more than 1-up in either direction, so tense throughout. Have that competitive bug back!

congrats!!!!

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @Celebros said:

> I posted my first round club championship travails earlier in the thread, but just wanted to update that... I won! The thing! The whole thing!

>

> First competitive golf in 15 years - won my first round 2-up after being 3-down after five holes. Second round was against the... 6 time?... club champion who was a college golfer. Won on the 19th hole. In the finals I shot 72 to get me to extra holes (match play), winning on the 19th. Honestly, every match I was playing against someone who was by all objective measures, a better golfer than I am, but the magic of match play plus some adrenaline carried me through.

>

> As a ~4 handicap, shooting 72 in the finals on a tipped-out course against a scratch player definitely takes the cake as the best golfing experience I've had. The match was never more than 1-up in either direction, so tense throughout. Have that competitive bug back!

Congrats!

> @JAMH03 said:

>

>

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > @Buckets2 no pics of the clubhouse or the course, none of the man or Daly. just one or two of the scoreboards after round 1 and 2.

> > xq68yxkwhbyd.jpg

> > egz710sedta9.jpg

> >

> Tie for 7th? With a 69 to start off? Good golf! What happened on day 2 seems like the scores were way higher for everyone?

>

it was a 1 day, 2 course, 36 hole tournament -- the first round was for the top 22 or so low amateurs; who then got paired up with charity 3-somes for an afternoon 4-man best ball tournament.

i was unaware through the first 3 holes in the second round that the scores for BOTH rounds were going to count towards awards at the end of the day...so, i went bogey, triple on the first two holes...

smh. i wish i knew b/c i would've played those holes differently - in essence i went for it since my partners were in terrible spots.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @JAMH03 said:

> >

> >

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @Buckets2 no pics of the clubhouse or the course, none of the man or Daly. just one or two of the scoreboards after round 1 and 2.

> > > xq68yxkwhbyd.jpg

> > > egz710sedta9.jpg

> > >

> > Tie for 7th? With a 69 to start off? Good golf! What happened on day 2 seems like the scores were way higher for everyone?

> >

>

> it was a 1 day, 2 course, 36 hole tournament -- the first round was for the top 22 or so low amateurs; who then got paired up with charity 3-somes for an afternoon 4-man best ball tournament.

>

> i was unaware through the first 3 holes in the second round that the scores for BOTH rounds were going to count towards awards at the end of the day...so, i went bogey, triple on the first two holes...

>

> smh. i wish i knew b/c i would've played those holes differently - in essence i went for it since my partners were in terrible spots.

Meh sounds like a slightly cheesey format, tweak but you played really well.

Good going. Nice to know you're in good form. I imagine being in form makes some mistakes easier to deal with and makes things look better as far as prepping for other events and challenging yourself too?

@gioguy21 I'd be really curious HOW you got into such a good form and mindset has it been a lifetime or something over the last 5 years? 2 years or are you doing things differently in 2019?

How have you been practicing and or preparing?

> @JAMH03 said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @JAMH03 said:

> > >

> > >

> > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @Buckets2 no pics of the clubhouse or the course, none of the man or Daly. just one or two of the scoreboards after round 1 and 2.

> > > > xq68yxkwhbyd.jpg

> > > > egz710sedta9.jpg

> > > >

> > > Tie for 7th? With a 69 to start off? Good golf! What happened on day 2 seems like the scores were way higher for everyone?

> > >

> >

> > it was a 1 day, 2 course, 36 hole tournament -- the first round was for the top 22 or so low amateurs; who then got paired up with charity 3-somes for an afternoon 4-man best ball tournament.

> >

> > i was unaware through the first 3 holes in the second round that the scores for BOTH rounds were going to count towards awards at the end of the day...so, i went bogey, triple on the first two holes...

> >

> > smh. i wish i knew b/c i would've played those holes differently - in essence i went for it since my partners were in terrible spots.

>

> Meh sounds like a slightly cheesey format, tweak but you played really well.

>

> Good going. Nice to know you're in good form. I imagine being in form makes some mistakes easier to deal with and makes things look better as far as prepping for other events and challenging yourself too?

>

> @gioguy21 I'd be really curious HOW you got into such a good form and mindset has it been a lifetime or something over the last 5 years? 2 years or are you doing things differently in 2019?

>

> How have you been practicing and or preparing?

I played since I was 6 but really only played competitive golf the last 4 years. My first foray into competition was the us open qual 4 years ago lol

I play 3-4x a week. I watch videos of my swing every other week, I practice short game and putting before every round, and in the winter I'm either in the gym (doesn't show it tho) or in the sim or on the range.

Been scratch or better the last 3 years - continously getting a bit better here and there.

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @Celebros said:

>

>

Outstanding! That's how you play tournament golf.

Played my USGA Mid-Am qualifier yesterday. It was my first time in this event. I shot 76 (+4). -3, -2, and -1 made it through (4 spots and 2 alternates). I had a pretty nice round going until 17 when my tee-shot hit a cartpath twice and bounced into the woods. A drop, punch out, and a few too many shots later I came out with a triple.

Lessons learned....I only hit 8 GIR. I was putting well too and just didn't give myself enough opportunities. Several missed greens from the middle of the fairway with a short iron. On to the next one!

p.s. Carts and cartpaths are an abomination and have no place on a golf course.

• Like 1

Wow!!! So fantastic! Well Done!!!

What did posting that finals score do to you handicap??? LOL!!!

> @Celebros said:

>

>

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Yep. Like you said: On to the next one! :-)

My U.S. Mid-Am qual if Monday....

> @buzzthecat said:

> Played my USGA Mid-Am qualifier yesterday. It was my first time in this event. I shot 76 (+4). -3, -2, and -1 made it through (4 spots and 2 alternates). I had a pretty nice round going until 17 when my tee-shot hit a cartpath twice and bounced into the woods. A drop, punch out, and a few too many shots later I came out with a triple.

>

> Lessons learned....I only hit 8 GIR. I was putting well too and just didn't give myself enough opportunities. Several missed greens from the middle of the fairway with a short iron. On to the next one!

>

> p.s. Carts and cartpaths are an abomination and have no place on a golf course.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Obee said:

> Yep. Like you said: On to the next one! :-)

>

> My U.S. Mid-Am qual if Monday....

>

> > @buzzthecat said:

> > Played my USGA Mid-Am qualifier yesterday. It was my first time in this event. I shot 76 (+4). -3, -2, and -1 made it through (4 spots and 2 alternates). I had a pretty nice round going until 17 when my tee-shot hit a cartpath twice and bounced into the woods. A drop, punch out, and a few too many shots later I came out with a triple.

> >

> > Lessons learned....I only hit 8 GIR. I was putting well too and just didn't give myself enough opportunities. Several missed greens from the middle of the fairway with a short iron. On to the next one!

> >

> > p.s. Carts and cartpaths are an abomination and have no place on a golf course.

Do you know the course it's at? Does it suit you?

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C