106-115 MPH swing speed, can't hit driver more than 200 yds

Matadorb32

106-115 MPH swing speed verified with multiple devices. For some back story, used to have a Cobra Fly-Z with a stiff black tie in, had no problem carrying it 240-260. Decided to sell it stupidly, and experimented for about a year with an XR 15 Pro and a XR16 (non-pro) with a myriad of shaft options, was able to knock one out there maybe 230 every once in a while, sold one of them and broke the other one. So I decided to get back into a Cobra and got a sweet deal on a brand new Cobra f8 with the stock Aldila NV 2KXV blue Stiff shaft. Verifying with GPS, I've used this club on course and I'm hitting it almost exactly 200 yards (+/- 5yds) on every drive. It's always in the fairway but hitting hybrids or long irons into every green is a struggle. I've tried messing with all of the loft/lie settings and weight settings, and while this does change the ball flight quite a bit, the distance remains around 200 yards with absolutely 0 roll. Often finding my drives a foot behind the pitch mark even in somewhat dry conditions. This thing launches into orbit and basically just appears to fall 90 degrees straight into the ground. Useful shot I suppose for a 200 yard par 3. But I really want more out of my driver.

Things I've checked or tried:

**1. center face contact -** my impact pattern seems pretty consistent, and I can reasonably control where on the face I'm trying to impact it. Move it out towards the toe for some more draw, towards the heel for more fade, etc.

**2. swing speed** - The faster I swing, the higher the ball goes. swing 90mph and it's a lower trajectory out to 200 yards. Swing 115 - super high trajectory, dive bomb right at 200 yards...

**3. attack angle -** I've tried hitting down on the ball, lowers trajectory quite a bit, a bit more erratic. I've moved the ball way up in my stance, and verifed with video that I am in fact hitting up on the ball... doesn't matter -- 200 yards.

other distances for reference:

3h - 225-235

5i - 175-180

7i - 150-160

PW - 115-120

My current theory is that the Aldila NV 2KXV blue Stiff shaft may be a bit too whippy for me and I need something stiffer. But as I understand, if the shaft is too weak it has more of an impact on shot dispersion... if anything, a weaker shaft would actually be longer just more erratic, right?

Anything I can do to get back some distance?

Not the answer you are going to want to hear, but you are probably scooping. Next time on the launch monitor, check your launch angle and spin. If you are scooping you should have a high launch angle and spin. I, like most ams have some experience in this...

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

Yeah, sorry, honestly this doesn't add up. I don't see how you are truly swinging 106-115 with driver but getting those distances with irons. Those are just above mine and I know I'm not swinging close to that. OTOH, with those distances, I have a very hard time believing you can't hit any driver 200 yards. And, if you really are swinging a driver 106-115, I don't care how bad the impact position is, on anything that isn't just a complete mishit, I don't see how it doesn't go over 200 yards.

> @chigolfer1 said:

> Yeah, sorry, honestly none of this adds up. There is no way you are swinging 106-115 with driver but getting those distances with irons. Those are just above mine and I know I'm not swinging close to that. OTOH, with those distances, I have a very hard time believing you can't hit any driver 200 yards.

I have verified the swing speed with my SSR and on a launch monitor at GG. I know the SSR isn't 100% accurate but it's not like it's telling me I'm swinging 15-20 miles higher than I actually am. It's not like I'm swinging my driver 80 MPH to get out to 200 yards. Regarding my iron distances, my stock iron shot is a 3/4 swing so definitely slower than my driver swing. Not really trying to crush those. But yes, I agree that this doesn't make any sense. I'm not saying I can't hit any driver that far, I was able to hit my fly-z much further so I'm wondering what's going on with this driver.

> @Matadorb32 said:

> > @chigolfer1 said:

> > Yeah, sorry, honestly none of this adds up. There is no way you are swinging 106-115 with driver but getting those distances with irons. Those are just above mine and I know I'm not swinging close to that. OTOH, with those distances, I have a very hard time believing you can't hit any driver 200 yards.

>

> I have verified the swing speed with my SSR and on a launch monitor at GG. I know the SSR isn't 100% accurate but it's not like it's telling me I'm swinging 15-20 miles higher than I actually am. It's not like I'm swinging my driver 80 MPH to get out to 200 yards. Regarding my iron distances, my stock iron shot is a 3/4 swing so definitely slower than my driver swing. Not really trying to crush those. But yes, I agree that this doesn't make any sense. I'm not saying I can't hit any driver that far, I was able to hit my fly-z much further so I'm wondering what's going on with this driver.

>

Any driver video? Also, sorry, I didn't read your initial post closely enough and now see what you're saying about that driver. Not to be a smarta** but why don't you just try another driver at the store or whatever unless you're just really curious from a technical standpoint what's up with this one.

I’d be very interested to see what your AOA, launch and spin rates are. Even hitting down on it +8 would produce a further drive than 200 yards.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Maybe you're leaving the face open on your driver? That would cause it to fly too high with the ball stopping and limited roll out. You're probably compensating in order to hit a straight ball too. That's what I was (and sometimes still) do in my swing particularly with my irons though. Visit a pro and analyze your face to path, etc. and hopefully that will solve your problems with distance.

> @chigolfer1 said:

> > @Matadorb32 said:

> > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > Yeah, sorry, honestly none of this adds up. There is no way you are swinging 106-115 with driver but getting those distances with irons. Those are just above mine and I know I'm not swinging close to that. OTOH, with those distances, I have a very hard time believing you can't hit any driver 200 yards.

> >

> > I have verified the swing speed with my SSR and on a launch monitor at GG. I know the SSR isn't 100% accurate but it's not like it's telling me I'm swinging 15-20 miles higher than I actually am. It's not like I'm swinging my driver 80 MPH to get out to 200 yards. Regarding my iron distances, my stock iron shot is a 3/4 swing so definitely slower than my driver swing. Not really trying to crush those. But yes, I agree that this doesn't make any sense. I'm not saying I can't hit any driver that far, I was able to hit my fly-z much further so I'm wondering what's going on with this driver.

> >

>

> Any driver video? Also, sorry, I didn't read your initial post closely enough and now see what you're saying about that driver. Not to be a smarta** but why don't you just try another driver at the store or whatever unless you're just really curious from a technical standpoint what's up with this one.

Yep, I was actually at the range this morning and took some video here is a link. https://youtu.be/U4byjnfGVm0

Sorry in advance for the poor lighting and angle. I'm hoping someone can point out some critical flaw or something that I'm just not seeing.

At this point, I'm trying to be realistic... I don't think a new driver or new shaft is the answer and there is obviously something wrong with my swing.

well you are standing on the wrong side of the ball to start. I think the best bet is to go to a local golf store and try a few drivers out. if you truely can move it up to 115 mph then you might be able to go xstiff with something with low loft like 8* or so to get the flight and spin down. I would imagine that you are hitting with 4500 and up rpm if it is truely going that short. I would think you should be 250ish with the other clubs distances. data will tell and a swing instructor could fix this also likely.

Really hard to buy that man. Anyone who hits driver in the 110s, should easily be carrying 5iron 200.

Edit: I have 110 clubhead speed. Low 160s ball speed with driver (xstiff M6), and can still carry my 14 year old brothers Topflight gamer driver with noodley reg shaft 265. I play with him on my GC2 sim regularly.

What's your ball flight look like? It's gotta be something like 160+ foot apex and a banana ball to be that short. It's either that or the crown of your driver should have idiot marks all over it to be anything else would be unimaginable.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> What's your ball flight look like? It's gotta be something like 160+ foot apex and a banana ball to be that short. It's either that or the crown of your driver should have idiot marks all over it to be anything else would be unimaginable.

Typically an ultra high pull fade. No idiot marks yet. Driver face is black so it will leave an imprint where I can see where I'm hitting it, typically near the sweet spot.

> @Three_Jack said:

> Really hard to buy that man. Anyone who hits driver in the 110s, should easily be carrying 5iron 200.

I will disagree with this. The old trackman pga tour carry distance charts have average driver swing speed at 113 with carry 275. The 5 iron at 94 MPH and carry 194 yard. so if his impact is a bit off (scoopy) then I could easily see 10 to 15 yard loss. I do thing that he is likely a 100-105 driver swinger with terrible impact.

> @bradski said:

> > @Three_Jack said:

> > Really hard to buy that man. Anyone who hits driver in the 110s, should easily be carrying 5iron 200.

>

> I will disagree with this. The old trackman pga tour carry distance charts have average driver swing speed at 113 with carry 275. The 5 iron at 94 MPH and carry 194 yard. so if his impact is a bit off (scoopy) then I could easily see 10 to 15 yard loss. I do thing that he is likely a 100-105 driver swinger with terrible impact.

Terrible impact? Hitting a ball at 116 mph, how bad you think you have to hit it to only carry 200 with no roll out. Only way that can happen is an absolute skyed shot, hitting the top of the driver, not even the club face.

I can super thin a driver 5 yards off the ground and carry 200 with 110 swing speed.

I can also carry my 5iron 205 without swinging out of my shoes and while having a ball flight that is really high costing me distance.

Also, OP just said these are shots hit in the middle of the face. No way any driver head traveling at 115 hitting the middle of the face is only carrying 200.

> @Three_Jack said:

> > @bradski said:

> > > @Three_Jack said:

> > > Really hard to buy that man. Anyone who hits driver in the 110s, should easily be carrying 5iron 200.

> >

> > I will disagree with this. The old trackman pga tour carry distance charts have average driver swing speed at 113 with carry 275. The 5 iron at 94 MPH and carry 194 yard. so if his impact is a bit off (scoopy) then I could easily see 10 to 15 yard loss. I do thing that he is likely a 100-105 driver swinger with terrible impact.

> Terrible impact? Hitting a ball at 116 mph, how bad you think you have to hit it to only carry 200 with no roll out. Only way that can happen is an absolute skyed shot, hitting the top of the driver, not even the club face.

>

> I can super thin a driver 5 yards off the ground and carry 200 with 110 swing speed.

>

> I can also carry my 5iron 205 without swinging out of my shoes and while having a ball flight that is really high costing me distance.

Isn't there math we can do to determine how low the smash factor would have to be? And for the smash factor to be that low it would mean, like you said, you're barely even hitting on face.

Agree - get on a good monitor and post the results. Most folks don't have 9 mph range on their normal driver swing speeds....it is a big gap from 106-115 and that suggests that the measurements aren't reliable.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Way across line. Open face. Big wipe - out to in. Got to be high launch with lots of loft added. Put 135 ball speed(flightscope traj optimizer) 4000 spin and with fade spin got 201 with no roll with launch of 25* - ball went 160 feet high. Lol. Ball speed of 150 requires more spin and higher launch and goes over 200 feet high - really doubt this is happening. It is your swing and not equipment. And it’s not just fixing one thing.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

> @carrera said:

> Agree - get on a good monitor and post the results. Most folks don't have 9 mph range on their normal driver swing speeds....it is a big gap from 106-115 and that suggests that the measurements aren't reliable.

Even @ 106, hitting ANYWHERE on the face will carry 200. I just plugged in an absolute HORRIBLE shot for 106 swing speed into the flightscope traj optimizer. 159 ballspeed, 20 degrees launch, 5000rpm spin, and it still carried 237.

With 3000 rpms the same shot carries 256.

> @Three_Jack said:

> > @carrera said:

> > Agree - get on a good monitor and post the results. Most folks don't have 9 mph range on their normal driver swing speeds....it is a big gap from 106-115 and that suggests that the measurements aren't reliable.

>

> Even @ 106, hitting ANYWHERE on the face will carry 200. I just plugged in an absolute HORRIBLE shot for 106 swing speed into the flightscope traj optimizer. 159 ballspeed, 20 degrees launch, 5000rpm spin, and it still carried 237.

>

> With 3000 rpms the same shot carries 256.

I put in 5* horizontal spin, 160 ball speed, 35* launch, 4000 spin and got 207 carry. Not sure if it's possible to get those numbers with driver at 115 club speed

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Your swing in that video is no where near 110mph. Doesn't even look like 100mph tbh. Also, bad launch conditions and too much spin can kill distance but assuming center contact they would never keep a 100+ mph swing under 230 yards. Similarly with shafts, they can make a difference but never THAT much.

Either the head of your driver is broken or you are actually swinging much slower than you think.

• Like 3

What irons are you playing, @Matadorb32 ?

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

The distances seem off like a lot of people have said. My 7i is the same range as yours. My drives are 230-240. My driver swing speed is probably at or sub 100. I know my 6i SS is about 80. If your 5i is going 175ish, the math doesn't add up that your 3H goes 230. I can't give you swing feedback. That's definitely not in my wheel house, but I'd say a swing fix alongside with truly recalibrating your numbers should fix your drives and your expectations.

> @vinprun71 said:

> The distances seem off like a lot of people have said. My 7i is the same range as yours. My drives are 230-240. My driver swing speed is probably at or sub 100. I know my 6i SS is about 80. If your 5i is going 175ish, the math doesn't add up that your 3H goes 230. I can't give you swing feedback. That's definitely not in my wheel house, but I'd say a swing fix alongside with truly recalibrating your numbers should fix your drives and your expectations.

Bingo. I swing driver about 98 mph and my 5-iron, 7-iron, and PW distances are the same as the OP's. My driver carry is in the 230-240 range but I have hit plenty of 200 yard wipes.

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

> @DLev45 said:

> > @vinprun71 said:

> > The distances seem off like a lot of people have said. My 7i is the same range as yours. My drives are 230-240. My driver swing speed is probably at or sub 100. I know my 6i SS is about 80. If your 5i is going 175ish, the math doesn't add up that your 3H goes 230. I can't give you swing feedback. That's definitely not in my wheel house, but I'd say a swing fix alongside with truly recalibrating your numbers should fix your drives and your expectations.

>

> Bingo. I swing driver about 98 mph and my 5-iron, 7-iron, and PW distances are the same as the OP's. My driver carry is in the 230-240 range but I have hit plenty of 200 yard wipes.

Thanks for confirming my driver SS. That saved me time figuring it out. Haha.