Lowest Flight Iron Shaft

ThinkingPlus

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> I tried to search, but did not find much. My hubby hits the ball crazy high. Very solid, but struggles keeping the flight down. While swing changes would help, he hits it so solid we hate to mess with the swing too much. He currently games S-flex C-tapers. Any lower flight shaft at that flex?

i used to think i hit the ball too high (~40y) but was told outside of windy conditions height can be an advantage and that i should embrace the height. BTW -- i have 130g c-tapers that have been modified to play like telephone poles and have high ball flight all the way down to 2i. if you're curious, i've added about 50g of counterweight in all of the grips which makes them stiffer/lower launching and about 6g of lead tape to the heads to get a little swing weight back.

nevertheless, since lower launching shafts aren't really an option for me i basically had to learn how to alter trajectory so i could play in windy conditions. there are a lot of informative threads on the subject but swinging easier (easy breezy!) helps keep the ball down for me and sometimes i'll move the ball back in my stance a bit. neither of these required major swing changes other than controlling tempo and low point which everyone should probably learn to do anyway imho.

> @hoselpalooza said:

> > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > I tried to search, but did not find much. My hubby hits the ball crazy high. Very solid, but struggles keeping the flight down. While swing changes would help, he hits it so solid we hate to mess with the swing too much. He currently games S-flex C-tapers. Any lower flight shaft at that flex?

>

> i used to think i hit the ball too high (~40y) but was told outside of windy conditions height can be an advantage and that i should embrace the height. BTW -- i have 130g c-tapers that have been modified to play like telephone poles and have high ball flight all the way down to 2i. if you're curious, i've added about 50g of counterweight in all of the grips which makes them stiffer/lower launching and about 6g of lead tape to the heads to get a little swing weight back.

>

> nevertheless, since lower launching shafts aren't really an option for me i basically had to learn how to alter trajectory so i could play in windy conditions. there are a lot of informative threads on the subject but swinging easier (easy breezy!) helps keep the ball down for me and sometimes i'll move the ball back in my stance a bit. neither of these required major swing changes other than controlling tempo and low point which everyone should probably learn to do anyway imho.

He is working on learning to flight the ball down with some success. Needs to depress things a little more, but he is making progress. Played in 20-25 on Friday and he handled the conditions pretty well. Only had one or two balloon and get crushed. Thanks for the info.

Waste of money imo trying to reshaft XR Pro to bring launch down. Get a forged blade with more weight distributed up the head. Start with some low priced single irons online if you don't have a fitter who can help. Can always sell the XRs later to fund a new/or good condition used set of what he really needs.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @Jagpilotohio said:

> I often wonder if anyone actually reads the previous comments before they post.

>

>

>

> To even suggest an X7 or a PX 6.5 for someone that currently carry’s a Cally XR Pro 7 iron 160 yards is totally insane.

yes very short for low spinning X shafts

=my question would be does he flip through impact ?

> @Thayneil said:

> > @Jagpilotohio said:

> > I often wonder if anyone actually reads the previous comments before they post.

> >

> >

> >

> > To even suggest an X7 or a PX 6.5 for someone that currently carry’s a Cally XR Pro 7 iron 160 yards is totally insane.

>

> yes very short for low spinning X shafts

>

> =my question would be does he flip through impact ?

>

>

Not usually (sometimes with full wedges). He does fully release the club however and does not have alot of shaft lean. I think if there was much flip we would see distance drop off.

I have some experience with this sort of problem, myself, found a strange solution, of sorts. So, sticking my nose in....

8 years ago, I was a late 40s guy, 7 hdcp, playing Mizuno MS-11s with DGX. Hit the ball pretty high, had trouble in the wind. I live in Minnesota, we don't get stupid wind strength, but enough to be annoying for my game. I'd have to overplay the wind, even with knockdown.

Went to a 2nd Swing shop locally. Brought my Mizuno 6i with me. On a lark, checked out the Ping section, hit some Eye2+ (ZZLite shaft). I'd never hit them, was curious due to their legendary status. Going back and forth, I found I was hitting my Mizuno 6i with 7000-7500rpm spin, launch around 20*. The Eye2+ was topping out at 6000, didn't notice the launch angle. Got intrigued, bought the Pings.

On the course, I was a bit worried when I found I was hitting the Pings higher than the Mizunos. Stuck with them and realized, in spite of that added trajectory to my already high shots, I had little trouble in the wind. I could even ignore breezes I used to have to club up for.

Point of all that drivel, spin is the key more than trajectory, or so I believe.

Somewhat related, a couple years ago I put a set of NV105 graphites (same as mentioned by Stuart) in a set of Golden Rams. I find they keep the flight down decently and I have little trouble in the wind with them.

Good luck to your hubby in the trajectory wars :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @NRJyzr said:

> I have some experience with this sort of problem, myself, found a strange solution, of sorts. So, sticking my nose in....

>

> 8 years ago, I was a late 40s guy, 7 hdcp, playing Mizuno MS-11s with DGX. Hit the ball pretty high, had trouble in the wind. I live in Minnesota, we don't get stupid wind strength, but enough to be annoying for my game. I'd have to overplay the wind, even with knockdown.

>

> Went to a 2nd Swing shop locally. Brought my Mizuno 6i with me. On a lark, checked out the Ping section, hit some Eye2+ (ZZLite shaft). I'd never hit them, was curious due to their legendary status. Going back and forth, I found I was hitting my Mizuno 6i with 7000-7500rpm spin, launch around 20*. The Eye2+ was topping out at 6000, didn't notice the launch angle. Got intrigued, bought the Pings.

>

> On the course, I was a bit worried when I found I was hitting the Pings higher than the Mizunos. Stuck with them and realized, in spite of that added trajectory to my already high shots, I had little trouble in the wind. I could even ignore breezes I used to have to club up for.

>

> Point of all that drivel, spin is the key more than trajectory, or so I believe.

>

> Somewhat related, a couple years ago I put a set of NV105 graphites (same as mentioned by Stuart) in a set of Golden Rams. I find they keep the flight down decently and I have little trouble in the wind with them.

>

> Good luck to your hubby in the trajectory wars :)

I agree about spin. It is a very important factor in controlling trajectory. My hubby is sort of a plays whatever he picks up person (roll eyes) so I am not sure much can be done. He doesn't play super spinny balls in general which is good down here. I use a Titleist AVX exclusively in the wind. I reserve spinnier balls for when I play tournaments elsewhere.

• Like 1

> @cxx said:

> Might be in a catch 22. I think that head normally launches pretty high. If c-tapers don't bring the ball flight down I'm not sure a different shaft will. A different head might help, but will also be more difficult to hit. Might want to figure out if the swing is adding loft. I'm guessing he's a picker rather than digger.

this. If the c tapers aren't working to keep it down than it;s more of a swing thing than an equipment thing,.

Strengthen the loft a degree or two and move up to c-taper 125 S+. X7's are going to launch it lower but that's an insane shaft to move into from c-taper 120s. PX 6.5's will drop spin down but launch pretty high still.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI Black Onyx X100

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 54.10 S - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > I have some experience with this sort of problem, myself, found a strange solution, of sorts. So, sticking my nose in....

> >

> > 8 years ago, I was a late 40s guy, 7 hdcp, playing Mizuno MS-11s with DGX. Hit the ball pretty high, had trouble in the wind. I live in Minnesota, we don't get stupid wind strength, but enough to be annoying for my game. I'd have to overplay the wind, even with knockdown.

> >

> > Went to a 2nd Swing shop locally. Brought my Mizuno 6i with me. On a lark, checked out the Ping section, hit some Eye2+ (ZZLite shaft). I'd never hit them, was curious due to their legendary status. Going back and forth, I found I was hitting my Mizuno 6i with 7000-7500rpm spin, launch around 20*. The Eye2+ was topping out at 6000, didn't notice the launch angle. Got intrigued, bought the Pings.

> >

> > On the course, I was a bit worried when I found I was hitting the Pings higher than the Mizunos. Stuck with them and realized, in spite of that added trajectory to my already high shots, I had little trouble in the wind. I could even ignore breezes I used to have to club up for.

> >

> > Point of all that drivel, spin is the key more than trajectory, or so I believe.

> >

> > Somewhat related, a couple years ago I put a set of NV105 graphites (same as mentioned by Stuart) in a set of Golden Rams. I find they keep the flight down decently and I have little trouble in the wind with them.

> >

> > Good luck to your hubby in the trajectory wars :)

>

> I agree about spin. It is a very important factor in controlling trajectory. My hubby is sort of a plays whatever he picks up person (roll eyes) so I am not sure much can be done. He doesn't play super spinny balls in general which is good down here. I use a Titleist AVX exclusively in the wind. I reserve spinnier balls for when I play tournaments elsewhere.

Small side note: I've found the Wilson Duo Urethane or Professional a pleasant surprise in the wind. They appear to have changed their dimple pattern a bit from previous premium products, which always seemed less good in wind to me.

Which doesn't help with the "play what he picks up" random element. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

It sounds like lessons are a better choice for your hubby. I think he might want to check his ball position and learn to flight the ball with his body and swing. If he is looking to find a shaft to fix the issue, BUT does not have the swing speed to handle the shaft, reshafting is a waste will lead to further frustration.

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

It sounds like lessons are a better choice for your hubby. I think he might want to check his ball position and learn to flight the ball with his body and swing. If he is looking to find a shaft to fix the issue BUT does not have the swing speed to handle the shaft, re-shafting is a waste and will lead to further frustration.

If looking for a shaft- try Nippon super peening blue in desired flex.

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

> @gibbyfan said:

> It sounds like lessons are a better choice for your hubby. I think he might want to check his ball position and learn to flight the ball with his body and swing. If he is looking to find a shaft to fix the issue BUT does not have the swing speed to handle the shaft, re-shafting is a waste and will lead to further frustration.

>

> If looking for a shaft- try Nippon super peening blue in desired flex.

>

Lessons would probably help, but we live in an instruction wasteland. Not sure we have run across an instructor either one of us would trust. May have to go down the online route even with the drawbacks that presents. Thanks for the comments.

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> I tried to search, but did not find much. My hubby hits the ball crazy high. Very solid, but struggles keeping the flight down. While swing changes would help, he hits it so solid we hate to mess with the swing too much. He currently games S-flex C-tapers. Any lower flight shaft at that flex?

Shaft trajectory doesn't get any lower than C-Taper. I hit the ball low with weaker type lofts, and recently pulled a set of C-Taper stiff shafts from my irons. Not because of trajectory but wanted more distance.

Best advice, if you don't want to change swing mechanics, consider how iron lofts may or may not be influencing trajectory and or learn how to move the ball around at address to lower or increase trajectory.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I also had this type of issue, very high trajectory that would balloon on me at times, and was very difficult to play in the wind. I did several things that eventually solved my issues. Note- I need graphite shafts for joints stress.

1) Went to a modern set of strongly lofted irons. Apex forged in my case, but any of the stronger lofted modern irons will help a lot. For reference mine have a 27 degree 6i. I think some head designs hit lower than others, so try several to see what works.

2) Tried lots of shafts - for me the only graphite shafts that helped were Nunchuk Xi, and Steelfiber i95 or i110 shafts. I ended up finding some Player spec steel fiber pulls that basically go from i95 weight in the long irons to i110 weight in the short irons, and they tend to be stout to the rated flex. These were perfect for me, brought the spin and the trajectory down, and let me MOI match the set. I do use Nunchuk's in my woods, hybrids, and wedges. I am sure I could have played my whole bag with Nunchuks, and I may do that on a future set of irons. These are under rated, but expensive, I pick them up used on E-bay.

3) Learned to move the ball farther back in my stance with all my irons.

4) Learned how to hit a knock down shot when I need it. Still working on distance control with the knockdowns but adds a lot of shot options.

5) Found a ball that was a good compromise for my play and swing with the new clubs. For me Zrixon Z-stars.

Now I am amazed I ever had an issue. I still don't hit low stingers, and no one will ever accuse me of having trouble elevating the ball, but absolutely no ballooning or trouble on windy days. Or at least no more trouble than everyone else.

Mark