2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Payouts for tournaments at our public club?

I'm a "member" at a public golf course and on the tournament committee. For our club championships (match play), I am wondering what your experience is for payouts. We've allocated so much for the dinner afterward but I'm wondering how much should go to first and second place. For example, of the 100% allocated toward prizes, how much for first, second, and how deep should the payouts go given that only about 30 people will play. Traditionally there is no trophy or another prize, just pro-shop credit. Also, at a public course should we expect the course to "pitch in" a bit given the prize is credit?

> @BobHatcher said:

> I'm a "member" at a public golf course and on the tournament committee. For our club championships (match play), I am wondering what your experience is for payouts. We've allocated so much for the dinner afterward but I'm wondering how much should go to first and second place. For example, of the 100% allocated toward prizes, how much for first, second, and how deep should the payouts go given that only about 30 people will play. Traditionally there is no trophy or another prize, just pro-shop credit. Also, at a public course should we expect the course to "pitch in" a bit given the prize is credit?

I think every organization does it differently, but at my club we usually pay out to about 1/4 to 1/3 of the players. With 30 players, and assuming a single-elimination tournament, you might consider paying the top 8.

It's a little less where I'm from. I play quite a few tournaments. You can do it quite a few ways. You might do top 4 get prizes but also do on course contests like closest to the hole.

I'd recommend something like:

If buy in cost is $100,

1st place gets $200

2nd place gets $150

3rd place gets $125

4th place gets $100

You came go more or less, just whatever feels right for the situation.

> @Rory4Pres said:

> It's a little less where I'm from. I play quite a few tournaments. You can do it quite a few ways. You might do top 4 get prizes but also do on course contests like closest to the hole.

> I'd recommend something like:

> If buy in cost is $100,

> 1st place gets $200

> 2nd place gets $150

> 3rd place gets $125

> 4th place gets $100

> You came go more or less, just whatever feels right for the situation.

>

For 30 players, $100 apiece is $3000. The OP can let us know, but say you budget $25 per player for the dinner, that still leaves $2250 for prizes. The lowest finisher in the money should at least get back to even, so you could go:

Places 5-8 (Round of 8 losers) $100 ($400 total for 4 players)

Round of 4 losers $200 ($400 total for 2 players)

Champion match loser $500

Champion $1000

That total is $2300, pretty close to the number I started with. You certainly could lower the top end payout and increase the lower-level prize money some. You could even pay the last 16 survivors in the brackets, but with only 30 players, you might be paying out for a couple of byes.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. Rory thinks 1st place should get 2x the entry fee and Dave thinks 10x. We had no say over it and the club decided to pay out for only the top TWO places and paid 2.25 the entry fee for 1st place and 1.25x the entry fee for second. I think they thought of it as a profit-making event. Our point to management is that the club should not try to make a profit on this event.

I was more thinking aboutthe percentage of the payout for each level. Something like 40% for the win, second 20, 3 and 4 get 10 each, 5 to 8 get 5% each. the course should get paid for food, golf, and carts, and I'd hope for a discount from normal rates. for the course to take close to 90% of the entry fee seems pretty high to me, but these are the things to work out before the event is announced.

PinHigh, the players are members and have already paid a huge fee to play the course for the year. So, the cost of the round is not a factor.

A bigger question to everyone is whether you think the club should look at member events as a profit center. Treating your members as you would some group coming off the street who haven't already made a huge commitment is unfair. IMHO members are one of the best advertising and promotional tools available and should be given special consideration. But, then, I'm a member, not an owner.

Sounds like a real Richard move by your club. Next year just have all the members make a bunch of tee times one weekend and organize your own event. Pay it all out in cash ;).

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

> @BobHatcher said:

> PinHigh, the players are members and have already paid a huge fee to play the course for the year. So, the cost of the round is not a factor.

> A bigger question to everyone is whether you think the club should look at member events as a profit center. Treating your members as you would some group coming off the street who haven't already made a huge commitment is unfair. IMHO members are one of the best advertising and promotional tools available and should be given special consideration. But, then, I'm a member, not an owner.

Maybe they could use some of the other money to give everyone a cool tee gift

1st place - full payout

2nd place - a reassuring pat on the head

3rd place - a patronizing chuckle

4th place - the silent treatment

• Like 1

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Our member "club tournament" at our otherwise open to the public course will pay back 100% of the entry fees in cash this year and provide a steak dinner for entrants and their significant others at no cost. The course credit stuff is out the window and if they wanted to do course credit, that's okay with me, and the first few places for sure will get back more than the entry fee paid. Providing a sense of appreciation and it resonates!

One thing I like about some of the area events around here that has caught on, think Chamber of Commerce type scrambles, is flighting and having prizes for the first so many places in each flight and the payout the same for first in the first, second, third, whatever flight and the same for other places. Kind of nice to pick up the same $ for first in the third flight as the overall winners. Maybe that's done elsewhere as well, but I kind of like that in the 1 or 2 I take the time to play in every year. (Not my favorite type of event golf-wise, but fun to see people I don't get to spend time with otherwise and mess around for an afternoon).

That payout seems super low, is this the Matt Kuchar Invitational? I kid, I kid.

Without knowing the tourney fee, greens fees, cost of dinner, etc all we can do is speculate. But I would offer this advice, don’t go to the course with the idea that they shouldn’t profit on the tourney. I get that from your standpoint it should be more of a members appreciation tourney, you’ll have already supported the club in various ways, but tourneys are part of their income. If they do a good job with it, they should profit and it helps the course in the long run.

I don’t think you really don’t want them to profit, but you want you and your peers tournament needs or wants to be met. What do you’ll want? More payout, trophies for bragging rights, plaque on the wall? Approach them with a clear message about exactly what you want to see for prizes and payouts. Be precise with that part and be ready with a few rational reasons why (members want more excitement, are discouraged by lack of prizes, want bragging rights etc.). Doesn’t mean they will be met but at least they know exactly what members are looking for and might be good feedback for them if this is to be an successful annual event.

Good luck! I am sure being on the tournament committee is a thankless job, I’ve had a few of those myself. Hope it works out.

> @BobHatcher said:

> I'm a "member" at a public golf course and on the tournament committee. For our club championships (match play), I am wondering what your experience is for payouts. We've allocated so much for the dinner afterward but I'm wondering how much should go to first and second place. For example, of the 100% allocated toward prizes, how much for first, second, and how deep should the payouts go given that only about 30 people will play. Traditionally there is no trophy or another prize, just pro-shop credit. Also, at a public course should we expect the course to "pitch in" a bit given the prize is credit?

@BobHatcher

There have got to be rules of thumb somewhere, maybe in the old club bylaws or USGA recommendations or something.

Don't follow the PGA payouts they're not going to make sense for your group.

Why not just pay out about 30% so say 8-10-12 which ever works best for you out of the 30? Maybe something like below?

f2tmbuejzfa7.png

> @DonatelloNobodie said:

> Higher payouts just encourage cheating or sandbagging. This isn't the PGA tour. Play for enjoyment, not income. Keep prizes small. Spend the money on a good meal for players.

Can’t say I disagree with that. Won’t work for all tourneys but not a bad plan for something like this.