2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Can someone explain "spikeless" golf shoes to me...

Hello all-

I played golf for a brief time in my early 20's. Fast forward close to 30 years and I am getting back into the game in a big way. Thankfully, I'm in a good place financially. Having said that, I'm now "older/wiser", have a wife who wants to play (and needs gear), and two school age children (who also want to play and need clubs). In other words, I have plenty of other things to throw money at.

I have geared up enough for lessons and some casual play, but have yet to buy golf shoes. The spikeless ones seem like I'm just buying yet another pair of sneakers. I have a few friends with Country Club memberships, so I know that I will need some sort of golf shoe sooner rather than later. I guess my main questions are:

Does this new generation of spikeless shoes actually do anything to improve your game?

Beyond comfort, should I be looking for anything else other than not spending too much?

Is there any practical difference between the super expensive shoes and an $80 pair. Other than looking expensive? I long ago left caring about that sort of thing behind...

My best bet for buying just one pair that I can wear to a CC, but still be as casual/comfortable as possible?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated...

I can help you out with this because I have a bit of a golf shoe problem.

* Spikeless shoes tend to be move comfortable than spiked shoes because you have continuous support rather than stiff areas where the spikes are. That being said, spikeless shoes are a mess when it is wet outside as you can slide around pretty easy. The spikeless shoes have definitely gone towards a more "Street" shoe look and as a result a lot of them are made from lightweight and breathable materials which make them nice for afternoon or hotter rounds.

* Comfort is so personal so really just try them on and see what you like; I really like the Nike Roshe spikeless shoes.

* The difference between expensive and cheaper shoes is materials. The aforementioned Roshe shoes are about $80 and are great for dry days but for wet days I like my footjoy dryjoy tours. If you play in wet conditions I would definitely spring for a better pair of leather shoes or something.

* The one benefit of buying spiked shoes is that they last longer. Spikeless shoes wear down and you cant replace anything when they do. With spikes, they will wear down and you can swap them out and have a fresh pair of grippers on the bottom. WIth that being said, it would be worth the money to invest in a good pair of spiked shoes that will last you a long time.

The nubs on the spike-less shoes that I have had lasted longer than I wanted to continue wearing the shoe. Plenty of grip except the sloppiest of condition. They may be a little more comfortable,, this is personal but also depends on design. I have spiked shoes now and they are just as comfortable, again, personal but also depends on design.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I have more golf shoes than I have 'shoes'......spikeless for summer, spiked for winter. Simple.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

YMMV, but literally the only time I have slipped in 5+ years of exclusive spikeless golf shoe wear was on a dry gravel-covered cart path. And that’s in plenty of sloppy, soupy conditions.

Haven’t done the math, but I suspect the area of turf contact (and therefore grip) is probably greater with ”spikeless” nubs than with today’s spindly soft spikes. Nails, of course, might be a different story.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

I have both spiked and spikeless, never had slipping problem with either in wet or dry conditions. The last time I got injured playing golf was wearing soft spiked shoes and stepped on rock...Spikeless shoes usually have softer sole so they actually handle rocky situation better.

With very few exceptions, actual spikeless golf shoes are not closely related to street or running sneakers. I have a pair of Nike's that are actually lacrosse shoes but they have rubber stubs all across the bottom and the traction is awesome. Proper golf shoes need to handle a lot of lateral load, which would tear regular sneakers apart.

The exceptions I am talking about are mainly the ones for very hot weather. They have stretchy mesh upper and very much sneaker like. I have a pair too and only wore them once in a golf round. Standing on the bank of a bunker, my feet was sliding all over the place inside the shoe, and I almost couldn't hold the stance.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

Lots to unpack here and no one answer . Spike-less shoes very greatly

In spike design. No one answer about them. Spiked shoes also very greatly. Cost of shoes for what you get varies greatly.

I think about the only consistent point mentioned is generally true water proof (and breathable) shoe will cost more. So if you play in wet conditions which included morning dew you may want to spend a bit more.

My truly only valuable piece of advice is buy an older model shoe you find comfortable. Something on sale from a few seasons ago might be marked down as much as 70% and will obviously do the job just as well as this year’s model.

Get a pair of each. After you try some on and find something comfortable. I wear spikeless unless it’s sloppy out and don’t have any problems with slipping even in dew or slightly wet conditions from rain showers. I do find them more comfortable but I have some boost 360 2.0 and some roshe g tours (both spiked) that rival the comfort of many spikeless shoes I have owned.

I love spikeless shoes. If you avoid walking on pavement they will last a long time. Much more comfy, and I have zero issues with slipping. I prefer Ecco biom hybrids. They cost a bit more but are worth it.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @2bGood said:

> Lots to unpack here and no one answer . Spike-less shoes very greatly

> In spike design. No one answer about them. Spiked shoes also very greatly. Cost of shoes for what you get varies greatly.

>

> I think about the only consistent point mentioned is generally true water proof (and breathable) shoe will cost more. So if you play in wet conditions which included morning dew you may want to spend a bit more.

>

> My truly only valuable piece of advice is buy an older model shoe you find comfortable. Something on sale from a few seasons ago might be marked down as much as 70% and will obviously do the job just as well as this year’s model.

>

I used to get last years models until I found out that some of the modern construction techniques don't age gracefully. I had a couple pairs of shoes fall apart well before they were worn. I think it was the multi part soles that were glued together that was the problem. Seems like the more pieces used the larger the likelihood that they would fall apart. That's how I found out that Nike's warranty starts at the date of manufacture rather than the date of the sale.

He bought them cause they looked cool but his were pretty much a yawn as far as being effective. Looked cool. Sad grippage.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

I have never really had any trouble slipping in the spikeless shoes. I do still wear shoes with spikes when it is sloppy, but that is mainly because most of mine clean up better than the spikeless. I would wear regular tennis shoes if they didn't get wet and sand all in them. I am all about the comfort now a days.

I only wear spikeless now. Made the transition to Ecco's a bunch of years ago when Freddie made them popular (and didn't wear socks).

Now into True's.

I never slip in them. The only time I see that happen to people is on a sidehill lie and they are off balance (heel to toe) to begin with. No reason to slip if you are balanced and have a controlled transition.

I started wearing spikeless last August after 7+ years of playing FootJoy and Adidas spiked golf shoes. I haven't had an issue with grip, not even when it's wet and there's a bunch of leaves on the ground. Also, there's no need to worry about replacing spikes, having them fall out, and in general, they're more comfortable.

I think I have 12 pairs of G/fore now, which are expensive if you buy them new, but you can find a lot of the older unworn models on eBay for really good prices.

Taylormade Stealth+
Titleist TSi2 5W
PXG 0317x 22°
PXG Gen3 0311P 4i

PXG Gen4 0311T 5i-Gw
JP Golf Premier Wedge 54° & 58°
Kari Lajosi Damascus LP808

I am so glad spikeless shoes came along a few years after I started playing golf. They are waterproof, supportive and stable (unlike sneakers) but don't have the silly spikes on the bottom to damage everything you walk on and risk slipping every time you step on a hard surface. I remember those first couple pairs of "golf spikes" I bought as a beginner. Good riddance.

Spikeless shoes are vastly superior to spiked shoes, and anyone that hasn't switched is missing out due to false-ideas that have been planted in their head, bias against innovation that is innate to humans, or a history with trying the very first iterations of spikeless shoes. When they were first introduced, they largely used rounded nubs that wore out fast and had no torsional resistance to protect against slippage. Now that everyone is using squared nubs, sharp lines, and other cornered shapes, slippage is a moot point. I have a driver swing speed of about 109-112 mph, and I have literally never slipped while wearing spikeless shoes in any condition ever.

Think about it like this. Spiked shoes; let's take the FootJoy Tour-S as an example. Great shoe, comfy, looks cool. Has 9 spikes per shoe, 6 rubber legs per spike, for a total of 108 points of contact between your feet and the ground. Spikeless; my Adidas Crossknit Boost 2.0s are spikeless, and have 81 rubber nubs per foot, or 162 contact points between my feet and the ground, which is a 50% increase compared to the spiked model. That they create more friction and therefore have more traction is an inarguable fact of physics. They're also way more stable and comfortable because of the style and sole.

Golf is a sport that, historically, values tradition waaaayyyyyyyy too highly, much to the detriment of the game. Go buy yourself some spikeless shoes and take advantage of the newest and best technology. Find a pair that is comfortable, and that has a butt load of squared nubs (avoid anything round, or anything very small, as these will both wear out quickly and won't produce enough friction).

• Like 1

I have both. The spikeless grip just fine when it’s dry or damp. When it’s wet I wear spiked shoes. When I’ve forgotten my golf shoes and used my running shoes I can get away with it but I do slip from time to time even in dry conditions.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

> @cmagnusson said:

>Spikeless shoes are vastly superior to spiked shoes, and anyone that hasn't switched is missing out due to false-ideas that have been planted in their head, bias against innovation that is innate to humans, or a history with trying the very first iterations of spikeless shoes . . . I have a driver swing speed of about 109-112 mph, and I have literally never slipped while wearing spikeless shoes in any condition ever.

This. Before I transitioned to spikeless, I asked the pros at my course and they all said that anyone with a swing speed over 100mph would be doing themselves a disservice because spikeless would slip. I hover around the 110mph mark and made the switch anyway because spikeless are so much more comfortable. I've never slipped on the course because of spikeless shoes.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

I really want to give spikeless a try but don't want to spend the $120 on the extremely comfortable Puma's to find out they slip on me.

TSR3 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

TSR2+ 13* | Ventus Red 7X 

T200 2-Iron | Ventus Blue HY 10X

T150's 3-PW | DG TI X100

SM10 Raw 

50.12F | DG TI X100

54.12D | DG TI S400

60.08M | DG TI S400

TM MySpider X Blk on Blk 34"

Titleist Pro V1

> @1s1k said:

> I really want to give spikeless a try but don't want to spend the $120 on the extremely comfortable Puma's to find out they slip on me.

I wear the FootJoy FJ Flex and got them for about $80 on sale at PGA Tour Superstore. I'm a big guy and swing hard and have never slipped in them. And, these shoes are incredibly comfortable and offer wide sizes, which is a must for me.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB