2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Hot Metal Pros: Who's got 'em?

RainShadow

Looking for feedback on these from users.

Any trouble with holding greens? Unusual "jumpers" off the face like some cup face irons?

I've only been able to hit them in store, but I'm really impressed with feel for a non-forged iron. Mizuno seems to be on to something with the Chromoly metal and their sound tuning.

Also love the no up charge for Recoil 95 or PXLZ Tour Graphite, trying to decide between those two, but again, can't see flight outdoors. I've played the Recoil 95 in the past and got on well with it.

I'm never convinced the spin rates are accurate with the balls/monitors indoors, so curious as to real world observations.

Me: 58yo, 9-10 handicap, avg 7 iron =150.

(BTW MODS: When I use the search function all that I get is BST ads......! )

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I’m 57, average 7 iron for my old 712 AP1’s is 150ish, 4 handicap. Not a high spin iron player.

I just picked up a set of the Pro’s with Project X Tour graphite regular flex. I have played 36 holes with them so far.

I’m still not sold on them. I like the high flight and the feel. Beautiful.

But, I have had a few shots out of the rough with partial wedges that would hit the front of the green and roll to the back. Full shots have not been as much of a problem, probably because they fly much higher than I’m used to.

I also experimented with a set of blades this year. Shots flew high, and I was able to stop shots much more easily.

I’m very confused as to what I want to play!

I also can not hit my regular draw shot with these. They just fly straight.

I had a set of irons with the Recoil 95’s in them, and I like the feel of the Project X Tour better.

I've playing a full set for about 15 rounds. Before that I did a lot of on course testing with them.

My distance control is as solid with these as the mp 18's I played most of last year.

I'm a 2hc. My 7-190ish. But it's really easy to flight them. I had blue prints with me on the course yesterday and my 8 and the bp 7 were flying about the same distance.

I wasn't looking for more distance. But loved the look and sound and just have tons of confidence in them. I am a high spin player and these gave me better control. Long irons pretty much stay within a few feet of where they land. Scoring irons are easy to control.

I added an extra wedge, which was a bonus for me since wedge play is a strength.

They're wearing extremely well. I spent a lot of time on the range dialing them in and they look new.

• Like 3

Love my HMP’s. They are solid sticks!

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I have six rounds in with a new set of HMPs with C-Taper Lite S. After struggling the first two rounds to adjust to the different specs and lighter shaft, I’m now dialed in with these clubs. Dispersion and distance is point and shoot. No weird fliers. Flying them pin-high with regularity. Zero problem holding greens. Well-struck shots land and stop (Pro V1-X.) And, I’m hitting them flush to the point where they feel as soft as my AP2s (KBS Tour S) ever did. Really happy with my choice (but also eager to see the entire MP-20 line).

6.7 hcp

• Like 2

> @"K.ip" said:

> What shafts are most of you playing?

> Also did anyone try the HMP vs forged?

I tried the Forged, but the PX LZ 5.5 steel didn't really work for me and made my elbow both hurt, and I found them to be a bit clicky sounding, but that's just me.

The Hot Metal Pros felt/sounded better to me.

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Played the 919F's over the last 6-8 months and enjoyed them a lot. Just picked up a set of HMP's on a whim and they feel as good, if not better than the forged model which was a bit of a surprise. I will play the HMP's more often because even at a stronger loft I am seeing noticeably higher ball flight, 4-6yds longer carry and slightly more forgiveness. The 919F's will go in the back up bag. Right now the only thing my 919F's had over the HMP's was the satin finish. It's dang near bullet proof and after over half a year my clubs looked mint.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

Got them a few weeks ago and have played 27 with them now. They go VERY straight. Feel is decent. Not quite good and certainly not MP good, but decent enough. The sound is great though, ball sounds like it's rocketing off the face. I haven't gotten any ridiculous fliers and complete mishits are only flying 8-10 yds short.

I have 2 gripes: one is the turf interaction. They don't cut through like player's cavities/blades, so some shot's I'll get a weird bounce out of the ground. And the second is I can see the back of the 4 iron. Easy to get over that, but still a little bit of a negative.

They spin enough for me. In my fitting i was getting 4800-5000 with a 6 iron. I'm playing c-tapers. But greens around me are soft, so no issues thus far holding greens.

Titleist TSR3 9 - Diamana GT 60 tx

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 tx

Mizuno Pro 223 $ Taper HT 130x

Vokey SM7 50F, 55S KBS Hi Rev 2.0 135x

Vokey SM9 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125x

Ping PLD Kushin 4/TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

Anyone playing them with PXLZ Tour Graphite 6.0?

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

I have been looking at 919 HMP and the APEX pro 19. I was a long time player of Mizuno player but have been playing Callaway the last few years. I spent several hours at PGA store hitting irons and the HMP was the best but didn't hit the Apex that day and wanted to know if anyone could compare.

Thanks.

My set purchase was interrupted by unemployment... I just have the pitching wedge, but it’s nice.

Still planning on completing the set after a summer with just one club. Playing the dynamic gold x120 I believe.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

> @knightd_2001 said:

> I have been looking at 919 HMP and the APEX pro 19. I was a long time player of Mizuno player but have been playing Callaway the last few years. I spent several hours at PGA store hitting irons and the HMP was the best but didn't hit the Apex that day and wanted to know if anyone could compare.

> Thanks.

I just got the HMP and love them. I unfortunately can’t compare to the apex pro but I would think the apex (not the pro) would be a more comparable iron to the HMP. I hit the apex when being fit and it was a solid iron. I just hit the HMP better. The HMP is quite forgiving (especially on hits low on the face which is my typical miss) and I would think it would be a bit more forgiving than the Apex Pro (but that is just speculation).

> @knightd_2001 said:

> Thanks. I have hit the regular Apex. A friend of mine has a set. Solid but felt a little too chunky. What shaft are you playing in the HMP? While trying them I hit the C-Taper really well with HMP.

I am playing the kbs tour x stiff. I tried the C-Taper and for whatever reason didn’t get along with them, but know that a lot of folks do like that shaft quite a bit. I personally preferred the look of the HMP over the regular Apex (Apex looks a bit stumpy for my taste) at address. I was between the kbs and project x on shafts. The dispersion of the kbs was better for me.

I played 18 with mine yesterday.

I am not playing very well right now, but a few shots really stood out to me, and is the reason I will be selling them.

145 out from the flag, into a breeze, from the rough. Green is shallow, bunker in front and really thick rough long. I hit a high 7 iron that landed on the green. I paced off 17 steps where it stopped in the rough. My AP1’s would have stopped.

I had 145 on the next hole from middle of fairway. Hit 8 iron to the middle of the green and the ball stopped about 12' from the pitch mark.

Maybe I don’t have the swing speed for these irons to create enough spin. But at my course there are quite a few holes that have front bunkers and the rough around the greens is nasty.

Just ordered a set of these with the Recoil graphite... coming from the Apex CF19 with Modus 105. I am having to go back to graphite owing to very bad elbow and wrist pain, which has only started since i made the switch away from graphite 6 months ago. These are super good value in the UK, £900 with any shaft and any grip combo you want... I think the Hot Metal Pro are really good looking and although the new P790 will be out soon you will probably here be looking at £1300 minimum for graphite. So the Hot Metal Pro will be £400 cheaper and so far in testing just as good as the Apex or P790.... has anyone one tested these against the Apex CF19 or P790 and has a firm opinion one way or another.....

Thanks for your thoughts.....

> @gdb99 said:

> I played 18 with mine yesterday.

> I am not playing very well right now, but a few shots really stood out to me, and is the reason I will be selling them.

> 145 out from the flag, into a breeze, from the rough. Green is shallow, bunker in front and really thick rough long. I hit a high 7 iron that landed on the green. I paced off 17 steps where it stopped in the rough. My AP1’s would have stopped.

> I had 145 on the next hole from middle of fairway. Hit 8 iron to the middle of the green and the ball stopped about 12' from the pitch mark.

> Maybe I don’t have the swing speed for these irons to create enough spin. But at my course there are quite a few holes that have front bunkers and the rough around the greens is nasty.

Sounds like you misread the lie in the rough to me. The extra club you took and flier lie was your undoing. Not sure what you SS is but 12’ of roll out with an 8i isn’t going to be fixed by switching to a different OEM’s 8i. My 8i is my 155 yard stock club. My ball off 8i comes to rest on the hardest greens within 18” if the green is flat. I’m in the Pacific North-Wet and play out of some heavy juicy rough. My HMP 7i thru PW play great wherever the ball comes to rest.

• Like 1

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

> @noodle3872 said:

> > @gdb99 said:

> > I played 18 with mine yesterday.

> > I am not playing very well right now, but a few shots really stood out to me, and is the reason I will be selling them.

> > 145 out from the flag, into a breeze, from the rough. Green is shallow, bunker in front and really thick rough long. I hit a high 7 iron that landed on the green. I paced off 17 steps where it stopped in the rough. My AP1’s would have stopped.

> > I had 145 on the next hole from middle of fairway. Hit 8 iron to the middle of the green and the ball stopped about 12' from the pitch mark.

> > Maybe I don’t have the swing speed for these irons to create enough spin. But at my course there are quite a few holes that have front bunkers and the rough around the greens is nasty.

>

> Sounds like you misread the lie in the rough to me. The extra club you took and flier lie was your undoing. Not sure what you SS is but 12’ of roll out with an 8i isn’t going to be fixed by switching to a different OEM’s 8i. My 8i is my 155 yard stock club. My ball off 8i comes to rest on the hardest greens within 18” if the green is flat. I’m in the Pacific North-Wet and play out of some heavy juicy rough. My HMP 7i thru PW play great wherever the ball comes to rest.

It was either take enough club to hit the green, or take a risk burying it in the front bunker. I have been playing this course for 30 years.

My point was that with my other 2 sets of irons, my golf ball stops a lot faster. I have never had this much rollout with some of the shots I have hit in the 3 rounds I’ve played them. Especially out of our rough.

Maybe guys that are not having problems stopping the ball have higher swing speeds than I do, and can hit it higher with more spin. I’m only swinging a 7 iron around mid 70’s.

And as far as another OEM’s club stopping quicker, I have no problem stopping 5 irons on our greens with my MP-4’s. I’m guessing they are spinning more? I’m not a high spin iron player to start with.

HMP "4 iron" with Nippon 120 flies only about 7 yards shorter than my Titleist 818 H2 19*. Absolute rocket launcher. Definitely worth adding in the long irons

Ping G425 LST 9* / Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Driver 13.5* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 7X

Ping iCrossover 18* / Ping Tour 2.0 85X

Ping i230 4-U / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 X100

Titleist SM9 54.10S / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM9 60.04T / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Vault Oslo

Titleist ProV1

Ping Hoofer

Well, after extensive testing with several shafts against my Forged Tec Blacks, The HMP’s are off my interest list.

Good feel, but too low spin at around 5400 w/ 7 iron. No stopping them for me.

My 7 is consistently around 6200. No problem stopping the ball within 10-12 ft of where it lands.

• Like 1

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

> @RainShadow said:

> Well, after extensive testing with several shafts against my Forged Tec Blacks, The HMP’s are off my interest list.

> Good feel, but too low spin at around 5400 w/ 7 iron. No stopping them for me.

> My 7 is consistently around 6200. No problem stopping the ball within 10-12 ft of where it lands.

>

I spent an hour yesterday hitting G410 vs. HM vs. HMP. I found the HMP spun the lowest of the bunch (surprisingly) and I started hitting the G410 vs HM. Spun the latter 2 8-irons right at around 8,000rpms while HMP was always ~400rpms less oddly enough.

EDIT: I should note the HMP had C-Taper Lite while the others had Modus 105 and AWT shafts which could definitely have that small effect.

> @RainShadow said:

> Well, after extensive testing with several shafts against my Forged Tec Blacks, The HMP’s are off my interest list.

> Good feel, but too low spin at around 5400 w/ 7 iron. No stopping them for me.

> My 7 is consistently around 6200. No problem stopping the ball within 10-12 ft of where it lands.

>

What were your peak height and descent angle for the irons you tested? 6200 rpm 7i stops in 10-12 feet?

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

> @noodle3872 said:

> > @RainShadow said:

> > Well, after extensive testing with several shafts against my Forged Tec Blacks, The HMP’s are off my interest list.

> > Good feel, but too low spin at around 5400 w/ 7 iron. No stopping them for me.

> > My 7 is consistently around 6200. No problem stopping the ball within 10-12 ft of where it lands.

> >

>

> What were your peak height and descent angle for the irons you tested? 6200 rpm 7i stops in 10-12 feet?

Don't remember the height, but angle of decent was 44-46*. My 7iron stops on the monitor with 5-7 yard, but real life is 10-12 feet, 15 max on all but the firmest of greens.

HMP descent was 40-42. Same shaft as my Cobras, and also trying Recoil 95F4 and PXLZ Tour Graphite 6.0.

• Like 1

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58