2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

A case of the 'if only's.

andrue

Yeah, the 'if-onlys' are an inspiration to continue the journey. I don't obsess about shots on the course or worry about my score. I've never played golf for the competition. It's always about the exercise and the fun factor. Of course I don't want to be a bad player, and of course I'd like to improve. It'd be nice if I could be at the point where I expect to break 90 in a competition (rather than as at the moment where I hope to stay below 100) but for me golf is just fun. Day dreaming about if-onlys is part of the fun.

My last three rounds, 73, 79, 93. Last nights 9 hole mens..... 52. As a 19 cap, that's what I have to expect. That's the reality. Last two times out...couldn't buy a putt.

Have to always remember the good times...the good company, the hawk that was sitting 20 feet from me on my approach on 9...being still able to walk the course at 66.

> @uitar9 said:

> My last three rounds, 73, 79, 93. Last nights 9 hole mens..... 52. As a 19 cap, that's what I have to expect. That's the reality. Last two times out...couldn't buy a putt.

> Have to always remember the good times...the good company, the hawk that was sitting 20 feet from me on my approach on 9...being still able to walk the course at 66.

A 73 and a 79 and you’re still a 19 index?! What are next best 8 scores of your last 20?! :o

On the thread topic: Like others, I find the If-Only thinking keeps me coming back to the game. It’s also comforting after a bad round: sure I shot 15 shots worse than expected, but “If Only I played those 7 holes over again anywhere near as well as I can, I’d have shot a decent score!”

> @lchang said:

> > @uitar9 said:

> > My last three rounds, 73, 79, 93. Last nights 9 hole mens..... 52. As a 19 cap, that's what I have to expect. That's the reality. Last two times out...couldn't buy a putt.

> > Have to always remember the good times...the good company, the hawk that was sitting 20 feet from me on my approach on 9...being still able to walk the course at 66.

>

> A 73 and a 79 and you’re still a 19 index?! What are next best 8 scores of your last 20?! :o

>

> On the thread topic: Like others, I find the If-Only thinking keeps me coming back to the game. It’s also comforting after a bad round: sure I shot 15 shots worse than expected, but “If Only I played those 7 holes over again anywhere near as well as I can, I’d have shot a decent score!”

85, 81, 85, 80, 82, 47 times 2. The 47's are a par 72. Those 80's are on a par 68.

I only use a phone app for the hcp for my own interest, but compared to others I play with its probably right on.

I still enjoyed that 73

Yep, the “if only” exercise gets me every time.

I shot 81 the other day with 2 triples and 2 doubles. One of the triples was on an easy par 5. I lost 2 balls on that hole each with what I thought were good shots.

The other triple is the one that really burned me up. I bombed a 3 wood to the dead middle of the fairway. 9 iron left into green. Pull draw it right but hole high and greenside in 2. Then I proceed to be the biggest moron ever and make a really stupid decision and end up with a triple.

That still had me seething when I putted out for an 81 on 18.

> @uitar9 said:

> > @lchang said:

> > > @uitar9 said:

> > > My last three rounds, 73, 79, 93. Last nights 9 hole mens..... 52. As a 19 cap, that's what I have to expect. That's the reality. Last two times out...couldn't buy a putt.

> > > Have to always remember the good times...the good company, the hawk that was sitting 20 feet from me on my approach on 9...being still able to walk the course at 66.

> >

> > A 73 and a 79 and you’re still a 19 index?! What are next best 8 scores of your last 20?! :o

> >

> > On the thread topic: Like others, I find the If-Only thinking keeps me coming back to the game. It’s also comforting after a bad round: sure I shot 15 shots worse than expected, but “If Only I played those 7 holes over again anywhere near as well as I can, I’d have shot a decent score!”

> 85, 81, 85, 80, 82, 47 times 2. The 47's are a par 72. Those 80's are on a par 68.

> I only use a phone app for the hcp for my own interest, but compared to others I play with its probably right on.

> I still enjoyed that 73

>

Hmmm. I guess that course’s rating is in the low 60’s?!

> @lchang said:

> > @uitar9 said:

> > > @lchang said:

> > > > @uitar9 said:

> > > > My last three rounds, 73, 79, 93. Last nights 9 hole mens..... 52. As a 19 cap, that's what I have to expect. That's the reality. Last two times out...couldn't buy a putt.

> > > > Have to always remember the good times...the good company, the hawk that was sitting 20 feet from me on my approach on 9...being still able to walk the course at 66.

> > >

> > > A 73 and a 79 and you’re still a 19 index?! What are next best 8 scores of your last 20?! :o

> > >

> > > On the thread topic: Like others, I find the If-Only thinking keeps me coming back to the game. It’s also comforting after a bad round: sure I shot 15 shots worse than expected, but “If Only I played those 7 holes over again anywhere near as well as I can, I’d have shot a decent score!”

> > 85, 81, 85, 80, 82, 47 times 2. The 47's are a par 72. Those 80's are on a par 68.

> > I only use a phone app for the hcp for my own interest, but compared to others I play with its probably right on.

> > I still enjoyed that 73

> >

>

> Hmmm. I guess that course’s rating is in the low 60’s?!

62.9/110

• Like 1

There’s a guy in my club that is the “shoulda been” guy.

“Hey Joe, what did you get on #8?”

“A 6 but it shoulda been a 4!”

Well next time fill out your card with what it “shoulda been” and I’ll keep the real score.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Played Montgomery Bell State Park, Tn. for the first time and shot 39 on the front, then the heat kicked in hard, and shot 46 on the back, with a bunch of doubles! I just lost it somewhere when the heat kicked up. I really need to play it again now that I know how hard the back plays and be ready for it. The back is all about course management.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

It wasn't me, but ...

Playing partner today in 9-hole league lipped out two eagle putts (should have made both), a par putt that hit cellophane just left of center and a chip out of cabbage that by rights should have put him within 6" but instead left him a 12-foot twister. Should have been a 32 or 33; ended up as a 37 with some spectacular shotmaking. Several drives over 300 carry - the guy was en fuego. He's about a 1.1 index, so really not all that surprising, but still a disappointing result.

I felt as bad for him (and he didn't whine) as I would have for myself.

That is the game of golf for you. Being able to maintain your game for 18 holes. Just the nature of the game. I never bank on back to back performances. I treat each round as a totally different approach. Even if I play in a two day event.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

My great "if only" is 3 weeks ago, I shot- 1 71 with 6 birdies, 3 bogeys and a double.

Never broke 70 and that was my biggest chance, if only I hadn't played so bad drives and irons and I didn't miss a 1 meter putt for bogey.

But I really holed every single put for birdie, even from 10 meters (first 7 holes: 7 putts!).

If only I hadn' holed so much, it would have been an easy 78 :)

I could have witnessed a course record yesterday. If only he made some putts.

I have the pleasure of playing with our state amateur champion now and then. Yesterday he hit every fairway and every green in regulation playing from the tips at our club (7,018 yards). His ball striking was incredible. I don’t think he had a birdie putt attempt longer than 25-feet. Our course record is 10-under par 62 set in 1961. He shot 64, but didn’t make a putt longer than 5-feet. He had 3 lip-outs and left one putt 1/2 turn short but dead in the jar. It was truly amazing to witness. He walked away with the dreaded “if only”. Let me add, he’s a good putter. In fact, I cannot recall seeing him ever three-putt at our club.

> @Moonlightgrm said:

> I could have witnessed a course record yesterday. If only he made some putts.

>

> I have the pleasure of playing with our state amateur champion now and then. Yesterday he hit every fairway and every green in regulation playing from the tips at our club (7,018 yards). His ball striking was incredible. I don’t think he had a birdie putt attempt longer than 25-feet. Our course record is 10-under par 62 set in 1961. He shot 64, but didn’t make a putt longer than 5-feet. He had 3 lip-outs and left one putt 1/2 turn short but dead in the jar. It was truly amazing to witness. He walked away with the dreaded “if only”. Let me add, he’s a good putter. In fact, I cannot recall seeing him ever three-putt at our club.

I've had lots of similar rounds putting like that. The every fairway hit and every green in regulation part? Not so much... :#

• Like 1

dat kof

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

In summer at my home club off the standard tees low 90s/high 80s is the norm. But off the competition tees just keeping below 100 is a challenge. Partly it's that the course is quite a lot longer (~6000 yards as opposed to ~5700 yards) but also because a lot of that extra distance comes from three or four holes where the competition tees are 'embedded' in trees. What I mean by that is that you have a significantly restricted flight path. From the standard tees you can see the entire fairway and have the full width available to you. From several of the competition tees you can't see the entire width and have to keep your ball in a narrower corridor.

[The 18th](https://goo.gl/maps/ixuWDdKfFDxUq2PH9 "The 18th") is a good example of that. It's the hole in the middle in that image and the standard tees are roughly where the three people are standing on the kart path. The competition tees are right at the top where the four people are standing.

The absolute worst though is [the 3rd](https://goo.gl/maps/1ccoK6rBQfpz3Qf9A "the 3rd"). The competition tees are under the trees right of the tee box you can see (80 yards back!). There is also a gully between the two of them and the standard tees (the ones you can see) are about two metres higher than the competition tees. So not only are you driving a relatively narrow gap between trees but you're also having to make sure you launch the ball properly.

But the big problem for me with comps is psychological. I really need to get that sorted out.