2019 TaylorMade P790 irons (4-iron, 7-iron, PW in-hand pics)

Man those are strong! Pitching wedge looks like an 8 iron

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Is it me or do they have more offset this year. The 7 iron is really noticeable to me

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

> @gsrjc said:

> The lofts are really strong. I don’t understand what TM means though in their article when they say the lofts have to be this strong to have a good ball flight. Is it because so much weight is needed by the tungsten but isn’t the overall head weight the same as if they used steel.

It's largely marketing with a dash of truth. Comparing loft for loft on these and a similar club from yester-year (maybe the 7 iron in these and a 5 iron in a similarly-intentioned set from the early 00's) will see these peak higher, but only by a few feet, not 20ft like they'd have you believe

> @"Zach Heusser" said:

> Man those are strong! Pitching wedge looks like an 8 iron

Same lofts (3-PW) as the original 2017 P790 irons. Some irons a 1/4 inch longer. Some lies angles slightly different.

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-TMaG-Library/default/docs/productspecs/2017/P790%20Irons.pdf

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/P790-Irons/DW-AL464.html?lang=default

• Like 1

Cleaner look especially the T logo, really like that. But lower screw & tungsten weight placement so it should be higher launch & probably a tad more forgiveness. I really don’t need more launch as I am already tweaking my Gen 1 P790 to be lower, damn Modus are too high at the moment. I like this Gen 2 though, well done TM

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

> @gsrjc said:

> The lofts are really strong. I don’t understand what TM means though in their article when they say the lofts have to be this strong to have a good ball flight. Is it because so much weight is needed by the tungsten but isn’t the overall head weight the same as if they used steel.

These heads naturally have a higher launch angle because of two things: the speed pocket in the sole and the low CG (compared to a traditional irons). The lofts are strengthened to account for those factors so that TM can hit their desired launch window and also ensure an optimal descent angle to offset the reduction in spin.

It's not just about marketing. If you weaken the lofts to what everyone considers traditional lofts, these will launch very high and not perform as well as they do near their spec'd loft.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

> @jll62 said:

> > @gsrjc said:

> > The lofts are really strong. I don’t understand what TM means though in their article when they say the lofts have to be this strong to have a good ball flight. Is it because so much weight is needed by the tungsten but isn’t the overall head weight the same as if they used steel.

>

> These heads naturally have a higher launch angle because of two things: the speed pocket in the sole and the low CG (compared to a traditional irons). The lofts are strengthened to account for those factors so that TM can hit their desired launch window and also ensure an optimal descent angle to offset the reduction in spin.

>

> It's not just about marketing. If you weaken the lofts to what everyone considers traditional lofts, these will launch very high and not perform as well as they do near their spec'd loft.

Exactly, the lofts counter the tech to optimize flight.

• Like 1

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

> @jll62 said:

>The lofts are strengthened to account for those factors so that TM can hit their desired **launch window** and also ensure an optimal **descent angle** to offset the reduction in spin.

That’s what always seems to get lost in these discussions about loft: loft is a means to an end, not the end itself. Launch angle and descent angle are the desired outcomes. Loft (along with CG) is just another variable to be manipulated to achieve proper launch and descent.

And if TM can manipulate CG and loft so that a 7 iron still launches, peaks, and descends like a 7 iron should, but goes further . . . why wouldn’t they?

With the advent of Trackman and multi-material head construction, loft numbers are largely irrelevant except when comparing one model to itself (e.g., M5 9* driver to M5 10.5* driver) for fitting purposes.

There are just too many variables between head models (e.g., blade vs. SGI) and companies (e.g., TM players iron vs Titleist players iron) to view loft as an apples to apples comparison anymore.

• Like 1

Yes as to the lofts. I remember a designer saying the goal was a 7i that launched as high as a 7, carried like a 6, and was as easy to hit as an 8.

The tech balances the lofts to achieve the desired launch, height, spin, and distance. Shaft of course factors in as well.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

> @hankmoody said:

> I remember a designer saying the goal was a 7i that launched as high as a 7, carried like a 6, and was as easy to hit as an 8.

I would add “has a descent angle like a 7 iron.” Descent angle is arguably the most important factor when getting fit for irons. No point in having a 7 iron that flies high and carries far if you can’t stop it over a hazard onto a green with a front pin placement. If a 7 iron rolls out 30 feet past the pin because the angle of descent is too flat, then it’s not really useful as a 7 iron.

> @EricWGolf said:

> > @hankmoody said:

> > I remember a designer saying the goal was a 7i that launched as high as a 7, carried like a 6, and was as easy to hit as an 8.

>

> I would add “has a descent angle like a 7 iron.” Descent angle is arguably the most important factor when getting fit for irons. No point in having a 7 iron that flies high and carries far if you can’t stop it over a hazard onto a green with a front pin placement. If a 7 iron rolls out 30 feet past the pin because the angle of descent is too flat, then it’s not really useful as a 7 iron.

>

>

100%. Eventually players are going to realize that the way to stop shots on the green is via descent angle, rather than spin. The OEMs already know this.

Every year I debate switching to what I like to call "point and shoot" irons like the P790. I've yet to pull the trigger, partially because I had a poor experience many years ago with the Callaway X-14 Pro and its hot spots, but mainly because I'm a plus handicap and my stupid ego is getting in the way. I am looking forward to hitting the new P790. I doubt I'd game it, but I want to give them a shot.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Look really good...especially in the address position. My daughter plays a combo set of 770s/790s. I've hit last year's 790 model and was very impressed with flight, and especially feel considering they're a hollow bodied iron.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Heard so many rave reviews of the original 790 but missed out on demo days. These look so similar but TM R &D continues to improve upon the face and overall construction. The $$$$ may keep me in the standard as opposed to the titanium 790.

Ben Hogan GS53 9* with UST Helium stiff  & Ben Hogan GS53 16* with UST Helium stiff

Titleist 816 H2 21* with stiff flex Diamana S+ Blue 70  

Ping G400 irons 5-AW with steel AWT shafts

Callaway MD4 Wide sole wedges 54* & 58*

Seemore Nashville One Studio Series

> @jll62 said:

> > @EricWGolf said:

> > > @hankmoody said:

> > > I remember a designer saying the goal was a 7i that launched as high as a 7, carried like a 6, and was as easy to hit as an 8.

> >

> > I would add “has a descent angle like a 7 iron.” Descent angle is arguably the most important factor when getting fit for irons. No point in having a 7 iron that flies high and carries far if you can’t stop it over a hazard onto a green with a front pin placement. If a 7 iron rolls out 30 feet past the pin because the angle of descent is too flat, then it’s not really useful as a 7 iron.

> >

> >

>

> 100%. Eventually players are going to realize that the way to stop shots on the green is via descent angle, rather than spin. The OEMs already know this.

>

> Every year I debate switching to what I like to call "point and shoot" irons like the P790. I've yet to pull the trigger, partially because I had a poor experience many years ago with the Callaway X-14 Pro and its hot spots, but mainly because I'm a plus handicap and my stupid ego is getting in the way. I am looking forward to hitting the new P790. I doubt I'd game it, but I want to give them a shot.

I know we’ve chatted before but I do think you get some workability with the P790, just nowhere near the amount you’d get with the 730 or 750, or the ones you’re currently gaming. For me, as my life has changed with a family now, I don’t get nearly the practice I used to, and the “point and shoot” when it needs to be works pretty well. With all the launch angle talk and them lowering the CG, I’m REALLY intrigued to try out the new UDI compared to my original. I currently use it off the tee but also it’s been a go-to second shot club into par 5’s and having a little higher launch might be right in my wheelhouse.

These really look great, just not sure they are the best option for me unfortunately. Wish they made forgiving irons like these in a P760/770 profile with more normal lofts and higher cgs. It still cracks me up any time I think of P790s I just remember being at my local gg when these came out 2 years ago and a guy asked them to bend his set 3 degrees strong. Didn't think much of it at the time until I learned about insane lofts. Now I just have to laugh so hard at that any time I see these.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI Black Onyx X100

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 54.10 S - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

> @Djuga06 said:

> I know we’ve chatted before but I do think you get some workability with the P790, just nowhere near the amount you’d get with the 730 or 750, or the ones you’re currently gaming. For me, as my life has changed with a family now, I don’t get nearly the practice I used to, and the “point and shoot” when it needs to be works pretty well. With all the launch angle talk and them lowering the CG, I’m REALLY intrigued to try out the new UDI compared to my original. I currently use it off the tee but also it’s been a go-to second shot club into par 5’s and having a little higher launch might be right in my wheelhouse.

The thing is, I'm basically a straight ball hitter. I don't see much curve and try not to work the ball too much, so on paper I should consider something along the lines of a P790. But I have a visual thing that's hard for me to get past. When I see that much club behind the ball, it doesn't end well. Maybe someday.

I've had the original UDI and this season the P790 UDI, but I'm definitely getting the new one. I also use it occasionally on second shots into par 5s, so I'll take a bit of higher launch if I can get it.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

> @jll62 said:

> > @Djuga06 said:

> > I know we’ve chatted before but I do think you get some workability with the P790, just nowhere near the amount you’d get with the 730 or 750, or the ones you’re currently gaming. For me, as my life has changed with a family now, I don’t get nearly the practice I used to, and the “point and shoot” when it needs to be works pretty well. With all the launch angle talk and them lowering the CG, I’m REALLY intrigued to try out the new UDI compared to my original. I currently use it off the tee but also it’s been a go-to second shot club into par 5’s and having a little higher launch might be right in my wheelhouse.

>

> The thing is, I'm basically a straight ball hitter. I don't see much curve and try not to work the ball too much, so on paper I should consider something along the lines of a P790. But I have a visual thing that's hard for me to get past. When I see that much club behind the ball, it doesn't end well. Maybe someday.

>

> I've had the original UDI and this season the P790 UDI, but I'm definitely getting the new one. I also use it occasionally on second shots into par 5s, so I'll take a bit of higher launch if I can get it.

How do you hit the udi if you can’t hit the other irons?

> @BiggErn said:

> > @jll62 said:

> > The thing is, I'm basically a straight ball hitter. I don't see much curve and try not to work the ball too much, so on paper I should consider something along the lines of a P790. But I have a visual thing that's hard for me to get past. When I see that much club behind the ball, it doesn't end well. Maybe someday.

> >

> > I've had the original UDI and this season the P790 UDI, but I'm definitely getting the new one. I also use it occasionally on second shots into par 5s, so I'll take a bit of higher launch if I can get it.

>

> How do you hit the udi if you can’t hit the other irons?

Just a guess, but the same way that several of the staff guys hit the UDI and any one of several different player offerings for the rest of their irons?

> @EricWGolf said:

> > @hankmoody said:

> > I remember a designer saying the goal was a 7i that launched as high as a 7, carried like a 6, and was as easy to hit as an 8.

>

> I would add “has a descent angle like a 7 iron.” Descent angle is arguably the most important factor when getting fit for irons. No point in having a 7 iron that flies high and carries far if you can’t stop it over a hazard onto a green with a front pin placement. If a 7 iron rolls out 30 feet past the pin because the angle of descent is too flat, then it’s not really useful as a 7 iron.

>

>

100% agree with this, but would like to add another question. If 7 flies like a 6, there are 2 ways to get there...either the PW flies like a 9 or the gaps are slightly larger. But because of the physics reasons stated in this thread, I agree that if you deloft these to match lofts with a combo, they'll just balloon and won't perform as expected.

I've never hit anything other than the demo 7 iron they have in stores, so I don't know how the 9 and PW perform, feel. I typically like to use my 9 and PW for chips, runners, flighted 3/4's, etc. quite a bit and like combo-ing a different smaller iron. For example, in 2014, I got 4-8 in MP54 and 9-PW in MP64.

So with the P790's, a 7 iron carries like a 7, flies like a 6 with a loft of 30.5. The P730 6 iron has a loft of....31. Is the answer to play PW, 9, 8, 7, 7, 6, 5?

> @Djuga06 said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @jll62 said:

> > > The thing is, I'm basically a straight ball hitter. I don't see much curve and try not to work the ball too much, so on paper I should consider something along the lines of a P790. But I have a visual thing that's hard for me to get past. When I see that much club behind the ball, it doesn't end well. Maybe someday.

> > >

> > > I've had the original UDI and this season the P790 UDI, but I'm definitely getting the new one. I also use it occasionally on second shots into par 5s, so I'll take a bit of higher launch if I can get it.

> >

> > How do you hit the udi if you can’t hit the other irons?

>

> Just a guess, but the same way that several of the staff guys hit the UDI and any one of several different player offerings for the rest of their irons?

I’m sure the staff guys don’t have supposed mental issues when it comes to hitting any club especially when it’s the same size as others that are supposedly “too big”.

> @BiggErn said:

> > @Djuga06 said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @jll62

> > > > I've had the original UDI and this season the P790 UDI, but I'm definitely getting the new one. I also use it occasionally on second shots into par 5s, so I'll take a bit of higher launch if I can get it.

> > >

> > > How do you hit the udi if you can’t hit the other irons?

> >

> > Just a guess, but the same way that several of the staff guys hit the UDI and any one of several different player offerings for the rest of their irons?

>

> I’m sure the staff guys don’t have supposed mental issues when it comes to hitting any club especially when it’s the same size as others that are supposedly “too big”.

I dunno the staff guys all have mental coaches and I once watched Hidecki's rep take a black marker to his driver head bc there was too much silver at the edge of the top line to his eye. Plus it's all personal preference and @jll62 is sub scratch.

> @BiggErn said:

> I’m sure the staff guys don’t have supposed mental issues when it comes to hitting any club especially when it’s the same size as others that are supposedly “too big”.

So, you would feel comfortable hitting this iron set?:

tj7opn45epnn.jpeg

Because I wouldn’t, even though I carry a hybrid in my bag. Different players like seeing different profiles for clubs that serve different purposes. The UDI serves an different purpose than the P790 iron set.

> @BiggErn said:

> > @jll62 said:

> > > @Djuga06 said:

> > > I know we’ve chatted before but I do think you get some workability with the P790, just nowhere near the amount you’d get with the 730 or 750, or the ones you’re currently gaming. For me, as my life has changed with a family now, I don’t get nearly the practice I used to, and the “point and shoot” when it needs to be works pretty well. With all the launch angle talk and them lowering the CG, I’m REALLY intrigued to try out the new UDI compared to my original. I currently use it off the tee but also it’s been a go-to second shot club into par 5’s and having a little higher launch might be right in my wheelhouse.

> >

> > The thing is, I'm basically a straight ball hitter. I don't see much curve and try not to work the ball too much, so on paper I should consider something along the lines of a P790. But I have a visual thing that's hard for me to get past. When I see that much club behind the ball, it doesn't end well. Maybe someday.

> >

> > I've had the original UDI and this season the P790 UDI, but I'm definitely getting the new one. I also use it occasionally on second shots into par 5s, so I'll take a bit of higher launch if I can get it.

>

Quite honestly, not as well off the turf as I'd like. > @BiggErn said:

> > @jll62 said:

> > > @Djuga06 said:

> > > I know we’ve chatted before but I do think you get some workability with the P790, just nowhere near the amount you’d get with the 730 or 750, or the ones you’re currently gaming. For me, as my life has changed with a family now, I don’t get nearly the practice I used to, and the “point and shoot” when it needs to be works pretty well. With all the launch angle talk and them lowering the CG, I’m REALLY intrigued to try out the new UDI compared to my original. I currently use it off the tee but also it’s been a go-to second shot club into par 5’s and having a little higher launch might be right in my wheelhouse.

> >

> >

>

Mostly off the tee. I do play the UDI on 2nd shots into par 5s occasionally, but it primarily goes in the bag on courses where I have to hit a tee shot or two into a 235-250 area (tends to be 90% of the courses I play). I've just always had issues with long irons when they're a bit chunky with wide soles and I can see the back of the club sticking out from behind the top line at address.

Going back to my original point, I often think the game would be easier for me if I just got rid of players irons entirely and went to something like the P790, but it hasn't been a fit. I do pretty well with what I have, so there hasn't been a large need to change.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

• 2 weeks later...

So if they strengthen the lofts to create launch like a normally numbered club, then what exactly is the point of this club again other than to make one feel like they are hitting a 7 iron further than an old seven iron, and most likely, with far less spin?

A guy I play with who is a good player uses these and I must say, his ball light is so much worse now it is ridiculous. Maybe he doesn't swing hard enough but he just hits low balls with no spin