2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Ever just have an unusually bad day at the course?

> @ClevelandKyle said:

> Well, I shot 100 yesterday at a local golf course near me called Emerald Hills. I haven't shot 100 since I started playing the game again about 8 months ago after a 15 year hiatus. Granted, this golf course is one of the longest and more challenging courses in south Florida. But i frequent this course and I know its layout very well. My drives were crap. I haven't sliced my drives in the longest and for whatever reason, I had the hardest time keeping that from happening. I was all over the place. I was chunking shots that should've set me up for birdies, skulling my irons and chips, and water hazards were my worst enemy. The only thing that was strong yesterday was my putting. The highlight of the day was a 45 foot putt for par on the 16th hole which really impressed the mates I was playing with. From that point, things started to slightly improve for me, but it was a little too late. Drove long and straight on 17 & 18, and finished with a nice lay up on the 18th hole for a par. I'm a 15 cap player so I know this might not seem too bad, especially since it was just one round, but I know this course. I can score an 85 there with my eyes closed. I'm just feelin salty about it all! lol. Anyone else recently have a poor round like this?

Was this Emerald Hills in Hollywood, FL? If so, you're not alone. Really tough course. Go stand on the back tees for a laugh. 7800 yards...

TM Qi10 LS 9.0 Tour AD BB-7x 
TM Qi10 Tour 14.0 Graphite Design Tour AD BB-8x 
Titleist TSR2 18.0 HZRDUS Black 6.0
Mizuno 245 4-PW KB Tour C Taper 120 S
National Custom Works 48 Green KBS Tour High Rev 
National Custom Works 54 Green KBS Tour High Rev

National Custom Works 60 Green KBS Tour High Rev
Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport 2 sole stamp 

> @courcy75 said:

> > @ClevelandKyle said:

> > Well, I shot 100 yesterday at a local golf course near me called Emerald Hills. I haven't shot 100 since I started playing the game again about 8 months ago after a 15 year hiatus. Granted, this golf course is one of the longest and more challenging courses in south Florida. But i frequent this course and I know its layout very well. My drives were crap. I haven't sliced my drives in the longest and for whatever reason, I had the hardest time keeping that from happening. I was all over the place. I was chunking shots that should've set me up for birdies, skulling my irons and chips, and water hazards were my worst enemy. The only thing that was strong yesterday was my putting. The highlight of the day was a 45 foot putt for par on the 16th hole which really impressed the mates I was playing with. From that point, things started to slightly improve for me, but it was a little too late. Drove long and straight on 17 & 18, and finished with a nice lay up on the 18th hole for a par. I'm a 15 cap player so I know this might not seem too bad, especially since it was just one round, but I know this course. I can score an 85 there with my eyes closed. I'm just feelin salty about it all! lol. Anyone else recently have a poor round like this?

>

> Was this Emerald Hills in Hollywood, FL? If so, you're not alone. Really tough course. Go stand on the back tees for a laugh. 7800 yards...

Yeah, if so and if I was looking at the right info it seemed like a 15 index would have a course handicap of ~18 (assuming blue or member tees). Meaning you'd break 90 like 25% of the time. Far from shooting an 85 with eyes closed...

• Like 1

> @agolf1 said:

> > @courcy75 said:

> > > @ClevelandKyle said:

> > > Well, I shot 100 yesterday at a local golf course near me called Emerald Hills. I haven't shot 100 since I started playing the game again about 8 months ago after a 15 year hiatus. Granted, this golf course is one of the longest and more challenging courses in south Florida. But i frequent this course and I know its layout very well. My drives were crap. I haven't sliced my drives in the longest and for whatever reason, I had the hardest time keeping that from happening. I was all over the place. I was chunking shots that should've set me up for birdies, skulling my irons and chips, and water hazards were my worst enemy. The only thing that was strong yesterday was my putting. The highlight of the day was a 45 foot putt for par on the 16th hole which really impressed the mates I was playing with. From that point, things started to slightly improve for me, but it was a little too late. Drove long and straight on 17 & 18, and finished with a nice lay up on the 18th hole for a par. I'm a 15 cap player so I know this might not seem too bad, especially since it was just one round, but I know this course. I can score an 85 there with my eyes closed. I'm just feelin salty about it all! lol. Anyone else recently have a poor round like this?

> >

> > Was this Emerald Hills in Hollywood, FL? If so, you're not alone. Really tough course. Go stand on the back tees for a laugh. 7800 yards...

> Yeah, if so and if I was looking at the right info it seemed like a 15 index would have a course handicap of ~18 (assuming blue or member tees). Meaning you'd break 90 like 25% of the time. Far from shooting an 85 with eyes closed...

It's a course that I frequent very often and I usually always break 90 there. I'm not sure if its because of the familiarity or if I'm just always on some of my best golf when I play there. I'm aware of the index at that course, and I'm very aware of how difficult it can play on an off day. My uncle used to be a member there for about 10 years and we'd play together a couple times a year when I was younger. I've shot over my handicap many times at this course, including a 105 couple months ago but it was a bummer for me when I shot that 100 because of my recent history when playing so well there.

> @courcy75 said:

> > @ClevelandKyle said:

> > Well, I shot 100 yesterday at a local golf course near me called Emerald Hills. I haven't shot 100 since I started playing the game again about 8 months ago after a 15 year hiatus. Granted, this golf course is one of the longest and more challenging courses in south Florida. But i frequent this course and I know its layout very well. My drives were crap. I haven't sliced my drives in the longest and for whatever reason, I had the hardest time keeping that from happening. I was all over the place. I was chunking shots that should've set me up for birdies, skulling my irons and chips, and water hazards were my worst enemy. The only thing that was strong yesterday was my putting. The highlight of the day was a 45 foot putt for par on the 16th hole which really impressed the mates I was playing with. From that point, things started to slightly improve for me, but it was a little too late. Drove long and straight on 17 & 18, and finished with a nice lay up on the 18th hole for a par. I'm a 15 cap player so I know this might not seem too bad, especially since it was just one round, but I know this course. I can score an 85 there with my eyes closed. I'm just feelin salty about it all! lol. Anyone else recently have a poor round like this?

>

> Was this Emerald Hills in Hollywood, FL? If so, you're not alone. Really tough course. Go stand on the back tees for a laugh. 7800 yards...

It is! This course is a monster and has held a number of PGA, and USGA qualifiers. I live in Hollywood so I play it at least once a week or once every other week. I've played from the tips here a few times with people who were visiting from out of town and it really does put it all into perspective. It's a monster even from the white tees though.

> @JonnyKrasnodar said:

> I'm there at the moment. Haven't hit a ball for three weeks, in Florida at the moment and it's the first time I've not had my clubs with me because I'm seriously considering chucking it.

> I was at a short game clinic in January as last season I dropped the most shots around the green from 40 yards and in which surprised me but I thought I would try and address it.

> Started the season all guns blazing, with scores of -2, -1 and +2 first three competitions. Things levelled off as they usually do but recently it's gone completely to ****.

> I played an invitational and I was that bad one of the guys in the group asked my partner if I'd ever played golf before. Played the back 9 in +2 so managed to recover but I went out again the next week and I fatted, thinned, slice, shanked the ball on every shot to the point I walked off because I had no idea what was going on.

> Went straight to my coach and was hitting the ball fine, no issues. Back on the course... absolutely rubbish.

> Now I took the game up in my 30s and it's never come naturally but I'm questioning whether or not it's worth it.

> Everyone at the club and in my league wants me to keep going but I've honestly never played another sport like it where it can go so completely wrong from time to time.

> How do you folks cope and what camp would you be in? Compete or quit?

> So frustrating.

I hear ya. For a 3 week period recently I didn't shoot worse than +3 for 9 to include a 75 and a couple of +1 nines. Last time I played was -1 after 3 and then hit a shank on 4. Walked off at nine. I've done nothing but shank since. My pro has to look away. Taking a two week break then back on the range with chip shots and half swings. Sucks to have to periodically re-learn the game. Have to be humble. I'd keep playing. It will come.

Yes... my first round of our Spring golf trip. I had been playing great and we leave on Monday night around 10pm... drive until the morning.. have breakfast and go golf. I played a round at my club that Monday morning and said "oh boy" things seem to be going south. Walked off the course and went home to workout and pack. We had an hour to kill prior to our first tee time the next day. I go to the range and cannot stop snap hooking anything. Driver-SW was all a snap. Ended up shooting a 98.... ready to drive home. Next round came back with a 76 and quickly put that mess in the rear view. Learned a valuable lesson about pushing the issue with golf. I had played 11 straight days prior to leaving. I was so sick of golf and should have just taken a break for a few days prior to departing.

Well, I haven’t sprained my ankle, cut my head or been drenched by a downpour, but I am an example of the axiom “You can’t win a tournament on the first day but you can lose it” when I dropped a sweet 95 the first day of a big tournament last week. It happens.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

This game is stupid fickle. Small and unnoticeable changes to you, your body, time of day, stress levels, etc all can change everything in how you play.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Anyone ever go through those days where you hit it into every bunker imaginable on the course? I have and after a few holes, I just laugh. On one hole, I blocked my drive and it went way right into the next fairway. I was thinking, at least I didn't hit that fairway bunker, just to go to the next fairway and see that my ball landed in that fairway's bunker. By mid round, I'm telling to the ball to "get into the bunker". Then have a day where you don't hit any? Its strange how the game of golf works.

> @ZA206 said:

> Played in a one day member-member 2 man best ball money match 2 years ago. I was a 3.5 index, guy I was playing with was a 2.0 index. I shoot a sweet 95. I didn’t have one three putt, but I did have 4 lost ball/OB, two hazard penalties, one ball lodged in the roots of a tree, and was in about 12 sand traps that day. (Most were fried egg or buried in the lip lies).

>

> I also sprained my ankle looking for a ball.

> I also ripped my shirt looking for a different ball.

> I also cut my face and was bleeding into a towel while looking for yet a different ball.

>

> I was lucky to make it off the course alive. Guy I was playing with said he’d never seen anything like it (collection of bad bounces, breaks and odd crap that happened) and wouldn’t have blamed me for quitting on the back nine.

>

> It was horrible. I think I shot even par the next week on the same course... lol. Golf.

>

> ZA

Geez.....with a day like that, I'd prob expect to go home and find my wife in bed with another guy.

Not necessarily a horrible round but yesterday my 7i wasn’t cooperating. First par 3 about 150 yards and I hit it 130. What’s going on here? I’m usually consistently at 150-155. Okay, I chip in and two putt. A couple holes later, 155 from the green and I go with the 7i. 130 again, what’s going on? I chunk the lob wedge, and get a double. My other irons are fine, I just hit my 3i 200 yards on the last hole. Next hole, I hit my 5i 180. Now I’m on the back nine and have a 160 par 3, with a back pin placement. I pull out the 7i and guess what? 135 yards, and I pushed it right, under some trees. Another double because that darn 7i isn’t listening? A few holes later, I’m 150 out and my 7i is sitting up in my bag, taunting me, daring me to hit him. So I oblige and fly the green AND lose my ball....triple bogey.

All my other clubs played fine but that obstinate 7i was making trouble the whole round. I think I’ll leave him at home next time.

Probably had my least enjoyable golfing experience yesterday. There were no tee times required yesterday evening, so I let a solo walker go up ahead and I putted around for about 15 minutes or so. I see him at the 3rd hole, so I tee off. When I reach the 3rd, I notice a guy next to me on the 4th green pitching about 8 balls onto the green. Thought nothing off it and tee off on the 3rd. I'm at the green and hear someone set a bag down behind me. Now, the closest person behind me was just pulling up to the first tee box when I was making my approach on the 3rd. I look and it's the guy that was pitching on the 4th. He's now somehow ended up behind me. I finish out and head to the 4th. An errant approach shot had me in some trees, so I walk over to my ball and make an easy 60yd shot on the green. As I turn to walk back to my cart, I see the guy setting up his bag next to my cart and drop his 8 balls on the ground. I finish out the hole thinking that maybe he's just going between 3 and 4 hitting pitches... wrong. This guy follows me the whole front 9 like this. I finally approach him about it and he calls the club house and says I'm harassing him. Next thing I know, I've got two marshal carts following me around. To my astonishment, one of them is now carting this guy, so he's even faster up my ass.

Needless to say, I head to the 19th and proceed to smash a 6 pack in about 15 minutes and completely fall apart for the rest of the round. I stopped keeping score around 12.

At 14 I catch up to a 6-some out of nowhere with loud rap playing, one smoking weed, and one of the marshal carts just hanging out with them. They were terrible and taking like 3-4 shots a piece. I said "fuck it" at that point and just packed it up and headed home. More than likely will never play that course again.

> @el_b00t said:

> Probably had my least enjoyable golfing experience yesterday. There were no tee times required yesterday evening, so I let a solo walker go up ahead and I putted around for about 15 minutes or so. I see him at the 3rd hole, so I tee off. When I reach the 3rd, I notice a guy next to me on the 4th green pitching about 8 balls onto the green. Thought nothing off it and tee off on the 3rd. I'm at the green and hear someone set a bag down behind me. Now, the closest person behind me was just pulling up to the first tee box when I was making my approach on the 3rd. I look and it's the guy that was pitching on the 4th. He's now somehow ended up behind me. I finish out and head to the 4th. An errant approach shot had me in some trees, so I walk over to my ball and make an easy 60yd shot on the green. As I turn to walk back to my cart, I see the guy setting up his bag next to my cart and drop his 8 balls on the ground. I finish out the hole thinking that maybe he's just going between 3 and 4 hitting pitches... wrong. This guy follows me the whole front 9 like this. I finally approach him about it and he calls the club house and says I'm harassing him. Next thing I know, I've got two marshal carts following me around. To my astonishment, one of them is now carting this guy, so he's even faster up my ****.

>

> Needless to say, I head to the 19th and proceed to smash a 6 pack in about 15 minutes and completely fall apart for the rest of the round. I stopped keeping score around 12.

>

> At 14 I catch up to a 6-some out of nowhere with loud rap playing, one smoking weed, and one of the marshal carts just hanging out with them. They were terrible and taking like 3-4 shots a piece. I said "**** it" at that point and just packed it up and headed home. More than likely will never play that course again.

Sounds terrible. I'd never play that course again, I'd make sure the management knows why, and also leave a review to make your feelings known.

For me it’s usually one facet of my game that lets me down and drives up a score...either sloppy irons, poor driving, short game/bunker...today it was putting. Couldn’t sink anything within 4 feet and shot a 90. Seems like I can’t get all my “children” to behave at once!

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

I can relate, was playing in club championship last year and was -1 after 12 holes, then everything went bad, The tee shot on hole 13 was about a 240 yard lay up on a short par 4 in front of small pond. I went on to shank my 5 wood about 20 yards left of tee box into a big bush, took me two swings to hack out of it to a horrible lie, chunked ball 4 in rough, took out 5 iron to lay up, thinned it into water in front of green. Ball 7 I finally hit on to green, and three-putted for a ten. Ended up shooting an 89 to complete the round. Golf is a crazy game to be sure.

I’m a 9 handicap that can look decent at times. But when I’m off, which seems to be about 75% of the time, I can look like I’ve never played before.

My irons are usually what undo me. I’ll go through stretches where I have literally no hope of putting an iron shot onto the green I’m aiming for. During those days I usually hit screaming low duck pull hooks, or shanks, or toe swipes. Some days it is all of those.

It is of course rooted in a couple of swing faults, so the same faults can make my driver a bit wild sometimes too.

So combine the worst ballstriking you could imagine from a 9 handicap with an occasionally wild driver and you get some really bad days on the course. I’ve definitely pondered quitting a few times, and at the very least it causes me to question the sanity of sinking so much time and money into a game that makes one that miserable ...

Had this today for 14 of the first 18 holes. Had a very early tee time to accommodate a buddy’s travel schedule (630 am) and could not get a feel for anything. I 3 putted the first 8 holes and couldn’t hit a half decent approach shot to save my life. Crumpled up the scorecard after 9 (shot a 52 on the front). Figured just enjoy the course which is by far my favorite course in the area and try and hit some good golf shots. Things slowly started coming together and ended up 1 over for the last 4 holes which considering how the round had gone seemed like a win in my book. Every iron shot was pure on the last few and that is enough to bring me back next week. Golf such a funny game.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

When I was well into the plus range and playing a lot years ago, I had a streak of like 2 months straight of practice rounds in the 60’s. Then one day, out of nowhere, I shot a 90. I took a penalty on at least half the holes. After the round, I sat in my car for about an hour contemplating quitting golf.

Then I went home, ignored my kids (not a great parenting move but we’ll move past that) and spent the rest of the evening and well into the night working on the issue I identified.

Haven’t played nearly that bad since, even though I barely play now. But from that experience, I learned the importance of true course management and the necessity of being conservative off the tee to always give yourself a chance on the second shot.

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Earlier this year had a round that went from bad to worse... in only 3 holes. Never walked off a course before but did that day.

Shanks, topping everything. Could not for the life of me figure it out and then panic mode set in. I was 8 over after 3 and have a 7.1 hdcp. Totally rattled.

Went to the range next day to exorcise some demons. Things came back and a couple rounds later I was back into the 30's and sub 80.

Played on Sunday after a boys weekend playing Friday and Saturday and not getting much rest. Hungover and tired golf just leads to tempo thats too fast and too many extra hinges. Lessons definitely being learned this year.

My last seven rounds have been in the mid 70's. A few days ago shot 85 with 6 three putts. I wanted to helicopter my putter into the woods but just chalked it up to having an off day.

TSR3 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

TSR2+ 13* | Ventus Red 7X 

T200 2-Iron | Ventus Blue HY 10X

T150's 3-PW | DG TI X100

SM10 Raw 

50.12F | DG TI X100

54.12D | DG TI S400

60.08M | DG TI S400

TM MySpider X Blk on Blk 34"

Titleist Pro V1

Yes....I was a mid capper when I was younger, but then career...family...etc. Didn't get to play much. Became a high handicapper pretty quickly (30). But over the past 2 years...been doing lessons, playing A LOT, and typically about a 19 cap now. Usually shoot high 80's to low 90's...Went home this year to see some old buddies who knew I was really working on my game. First day playing with them? Shot a 107. HORRIBLE. My chipping, which has always, despite any other part of my game, been the best part of my game vanished. Tee shots were all over....it was awful. I redeemed myself the next day..but yeah. It happens.

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

A bad day??? LOL, I've had entire seasons that were awful. Over the past 4 years I've had multiple stretches of 2-3 straight months where I would shank over half of my shots. The other half were scared fat shots trying to avoid shanks. Last year I even lost to my wife 108-107 one day and she just started playing a few years ago.

Fast forward a year and i have apparently turned it all around (knock on wood) thanks to a life changing lesson in June. Played the same course I shot 108 exactly one year later and shot a 74.

> @zer0 said:

> A bad day??? LOL, I've had entire seasons that were awful. Over the past 4 years I've had multiple stretches of 2-3 straight months where I would shank over half of my shots. The other half were scared fat shots trying to avoid shanks. Last year I even lost to my wife 108-107 one day and she just started playing a few years ago.

>

> Fast forward a year and i have apparently turned it all around (knock on wood) thanks to a life changing lesson in June. Played the same course I shot 108 exactly one year later and shot a 74.

Ok, zer0, you can't come on this board and elude to a holy grail lesson and not give us a peek under the hood. What about this lesson?

• Like 1