2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Feedback Needed: Srixon z5 series or JPX Hot Metals

TeeAreNY

I don't get to play and/or practice as often as I used to and down to just one round a weekend with no time for the range during the week. I'm looking to possibly replace my JPX850 Forged with something a little more forgiving without completely losing feel. I know there are plenty of options in this category but after doing some research, I've narrowed my choices down to either Srixon z545/565/585 or Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metals or 919 Hot Metals and currently keeping tabs on any good deals I find on used sets. Are there minimal differences between the two models? Do you have any strong feelings of one model vs another? Thanks for your input.

Taylormade SIM2 Max | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Srixons will have less offset, smaller top line and smaller soles. They are more comparable to the 919 Forged than the Hot Metals.

PING G430 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

Mizuno ST-G 15* Tour AD DI 7X

Titleist TSR2 18* Tour AD DI 85X

Mizuno MP20 HMB 2 Tour AD 95X

Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT115X(-)

Titleist Vokey SM7 52F - 58D

Mizuno M Craft II

Titleist ProV1

> @jlukes said:

> The Srixons will have less offset, smaller top line and smaller soles. They are more comparable to the 919 Forged than the Hot Metals.

Thanks for the quick reply. So would you say that my 850 Forged wouldn't have much of a difference in forgiveness to the z5 series?

Taylormade SIM2 Max | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2

> @Kay_Jay said:

> > @jlukes said:

> > The Srixons will have less offset, smaller top line and smaller soles. They are more comparable to the 919 Forged than the Hot Metals.

> Thanks for the quick reply. So would you say that my 850 Forged wouldn't have much of a difference in forgiveness to the z5 series?

The 545s were extremely similar to the 850 forged. The refined the 565 and 585 a bit, but they are still in the same class as the 850/900/919 Forged.

If you are looking for a slightly more friendly head, the 919 Hot Metal would be exactly what you are looking for

Mizuno M Craft II

Titleist ProV1

> @jlukes said:

> The 545s were extremely similar to the 850 forged. The refined the 565 and 585 a bit, but they are still in the same class as the 850/900/919 Forged.

> If you are looking for a slightly more friendly head, the 919 Hot Metal would be exactly what you are looking for

Great feedback, thanks a ton. Another quick follow up question, is there a significant difference in performance between the 900HM vs the 919HM? I'm thinking I could probably save a few hundred between the two models.

> @Kay_Jay said:

> Great feedback, thanks a ton. Another quick follow up question, is there a significant difference in performance between the 900HM vs the 919HM? I'm thinking I could probably save a few hundred between the two models.

>

>

As to your first question, when I was comparing the 900 HM to the Z565 irons, the 900 HMs won handily for me. Maybe it was the V-sole of the Srixons, but they did not work very well for me on the course. Looked and felt fantastic, but the performance wasn’t there—for me. Loved the 900 HMs.

As to your second question, I still have my 900 HMs, but moved on to the 919 HMs this season. Not a huge difference mind-you, but a noticeable difference nonetheless. Better turf interaction on the 919 HMs, and slightly better feel. All-around, terrific irons. You’d be just fine with the 900 HMs, but the 919s are incrementally better. As you can see from my signature, I am currently playing Ping G400s, which are great also. But I could end up with the 919 HMs back in the bag anytime. They are outstanding irons, and a true GI iron with great looks and good feel for a cast head. YMMV, and good luck.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 f3

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

I have owned both, the 919HM are much more forgiving than the 585. I love the look and feel of the 585, but they just were not as forgiving as the 919HM's and that is what my game needs right now.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

> @Kay_Jay said:

> > @jlukes said:

> > The 545s were extremely similar to the 850 forged. The refined the 565 and 585 a bit, but they are still in the same class as the 850/900/919 Forged.

> > If you are looking for a slightly more friendly head, the 919 Hot Metal would be exactly what you are looking for

> Great feedback, thanks a ton. Another quick follow up question, is there a significant difference in performance between the 900HM vs the 919HM? I'm thinking I could probably save a few hundred between the two models.

>

>

I agree with what jeffrey said above. 919s look better, sound/feel a bit better, and have slightly different shape/size. Don't think there's much performance difference though

Mizuno M Craft II

Titleist ProV1

> @"jeffrey r" said:

> As to your second question, I still have my 900 HMs, but moved on to the 919 HMs this season. Not a huge difference mind-you, but a noticeable difference nonetheless. Better turf interaction on the 919 HMs, and slightly better feel.

Forgive me for drilling down into the "turf interaction" comment a bit. One man's "better" might not be another man's, if you know what I mean!

Specifically, I have read some reviewer comments that the 919 HM have a less blunted or rounded leading edge than the 900 HM. I've seen comments like "cuts through the turf better" or similar. How would you characterize the turf interaction difference?

The reason I ask this...

I played a set of JPX 850 Forged very briefly a couple years ago (maybe 30-40 rounds?) and, to the original question, I find the JPX 900 Hot Metal to be noticeably easier to achieve full distance, easier to elevate on even slight mishits and all around better for my game. The 900 HM are just a tiny increment less forgiving than my previous Ping G irons while the 850 Forged were totally in the "players cavity back" category.

The other thing about the 900 HM versus 850 Forged was the soles of the 850 Forged were really pushing my limits in terms of being too narrow. Not really bad diggers, the leading edge wasn't super sharp, but it was possible to get stuck in the turf a bit on a steep swing that would have been no problem with my Ping G's or with the 900 HM. I'm wondering if the 919 Hot Metal might be a step back toward a bit more digging tendency.

I picked up my JPX 900 Hot Metals brand new for a really attractive price. So it was just an experiment, I wanted to see how Mizuno's most forgiving iron compared to the Ping G-series I was used to. I really like the compact heads on the P/9/8/7 for little bump and run type shots around the greens and was pleasantly surprised that the soles don't punish slightly steep or fat contact. I might one day end up back with G400 or G410 just to get that extra smidge of elevation and sole width but for now I'm happy with the 900 HM.

The 850s are very unforgiving compared to the 919 HM or forged or HMPro. All 919s feel better than the 585. I bought the HMPros due to their minimal offset. The 585 is the best Srixon mid cap set. The 919s wear a lot slower and look better longer than the 900 series. Plenty of threads on that issue.

Current Gamers
TBD 10.5*, Tour AD IZ 5R
ROGUE MAX 3HL, Heavenwood

PING G410  22*, 26* Hybrids 

PXG Gen5 0311P 7-GW, steelfiber 70
CALLAWAY  MD5 - 56*, 60*
Tour Issue Evnroll ER8 Black, 355 g
2021 Maxfli Tour
2021 PROV1

Thanks everyone for the feedback, this was exactly what I needed. I'll officially pass on any of the z5 series based on everyone's feedback. I don't see myself playing as much as I used to in the foreseeable future...if anything it will only decrease even more. Now, its just a matter of trying to find a good deal on some used 900HMs or 919HMs, which will be my irons for most likely the next 5-10 years.

> @Kay_Jay said:

> Thanks everyone for the feedback, this was exactly what I needed. I'll officially pass on any of the z5 series based on everyone's feedback. I don't see myself playing as much as I used to in the foreseeable future...if anything it will only decrease even more. Now, its just a matter of trying to find a good deal on some used 900HMs or 919HMs, which will be my irons for most likely the next 5-10 years.

Too bad you're not lefty. I see a very nice set of 900 HM on the lefty BST, fairly priced.

> @"North Butte" said:

> Forgive me for drilling down into the "turf interaction" comment a bit. One man's "better" might not be another man's, if you know what I mean!

>

> Specifically, I have read some reviewer comments that the 919 HM have a less blunted or rounded leading edge than the 900 HM. I've seen comments like "cuts through the turf better" or similar. How would you characterize the turf interaction difference?

>

NB, no worries. Turf interaction, like any other iron attributes, are somewhat objective, and then somewhat personal to you and your swing. For example, a lot of people loved the Ping G25 irons. Near iconic status. But, with my swing for whatever reason, they never worked well and I dug. Now, I have a somewhat steep swing, but I don’t dig with all irons. When I tried the G30 irons, the next iteration, whatever subtle difference, I was fine with them and no digging. Anyway, always why I say YMMV.

As to the 900HMs vs 919 HMs, the 919s are simply better irons for me. I never had a turf problem with the 900s, but I did have a few instances a round, tee shots on par 3s, and shots off the turf, where I dug. With the 919s, I don’t think I had any fat shots. Again, whatever subtle differences in the sole, the 919s work better for me. And I think the 919s are stunning, and feel fantastic. I think I might be playing a bit better right now with the G400 irons, but they are very close and the 919s will see time again, no question.

YMMV, and good luck.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 f3

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

> @Kay_Jay said:

> I don't get to play and/or practice as often as I used to and down to just one round a weekend with no time for the range during the week. I'm looking to possibly replace my JPX850 Forged with something a little more forgiving without completely losing feel. I know there are plenty of options in this category but after doing some research, I've narrowed my choices down to either Srixon z545/565/585 or Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metals or 919 Hot Metals and currently keeping tabs on any good deals I find on used sets. Are there minimal differences between the two models? Do you have any strong feelings of one model vs another? Thanks for your input.

Are you referring to the HM or the HM Pro? Seems if you are deciding between the forged and the others in the Mizuno line, the HM Pros would be more closely related to the forged. I just purchased the HM Pro and love them. Nice profile (nice top line and only see some “help” from address in the longer irons which I can personally get over due to the forgiveness and confidence factor - it is certainly not a massive sole), plenty of forgiveness (I played the R7 TP irons for years - and the HM Pro are significantly more forgiving, especially on shots that are low on the face) and still feel nice even though not forged.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

> @awhit1187 said:

> Are you referring to the HM or the HM Pro? Seems if you are deciding between the forged and the others in the Mizuno line, the HM Pros would be more closely related to the forged. I just purchased the HM Pro and love them. Nice profile (nice top line and only see some “help” from address in the longer irons which I can personally get over due to the forgiveness and confidence factor - it is certainly not a massive sole), plenty of forgiveness (I played the R7 TP irons for years - and the HM Pro are significantly more forgiving, especially on shots that are low on the face) and still feel nice even though not forged.

> Hope you find what you are looking for.

Thanks for the input. I didn't have the 919 HM Pro on my radar as I just assumed it would be close to my current JPX850 Forged set, which doesn't really warrant the swap for me personally. But, I would be open to adding it as a third option if my initial assumption is totally off base. As far as top lines, offset and sole width, that really doesn't bother me, but I do appreciate a good looking iron, which the 919 definitely has. I'm really trying to prioritize forgiveness to warrant the replacement of the JPX 850Fs as I'm down to being a weekend golfer where the irons aren't as punishing when my swing could be a little off. FWIW, I'm currently playing at around an 11 handicap playing once a week if that helps with the recommendations. For the most part, I think I'm in good shape thanks to everyone here especially with the clarification and elimination of the Srixons, which was a huge victory in itself to narrow down my choices lol.

If you prioritize forgiveness, you'll be hard pressed to do a whole lot better than a JPX 900 or 919 Hot Metal. Or on the Ping side a G400/G410/G700. Any of those is within spitting distance of the most forgiving irons the industry is capable of producing. If you find one that's affordable and suits your eye, then problem solved!

I would take a serious look at the HM Pros. Regular Hot Metals are definitely more forgiving than Srixon 5's, but for me they just look too chunky and I find the blade length and offset in the long irons off putting. The HM Pros still offer a good amount of forgiveness in a much more attractive package, I would easily take them over the Srixons on looks and feel. I also think they are at least as forgiving as the Srixons, which aren't really that forgiving at all.

> @"HackerD " said:

> FWIW the MPFs are

> JPX-850 Forged: 399

> JPX-919HM pro: 660

> JPX-919HM: 754

I'm not a total MPF believer but the MPF difference between JPX-850 Forged (399) and JPX 900 Hot Metal (685) pretty much sums up my own subjective experience with those two sets. As does the MPF of 832 for my previous Ping G set.

Which is my long-winded way of saying I agree with HackerD's point!

> @"HackerD " said:

> FWIW the MPFs are

> JPX-850 Forged: 399

> JPX-919HM pro: 660

> JPX-919HM: 754

>

Lol, I've honestly never heard of MPF so I had to look it up. Based on this pdf that I found, does this mean I could essentially add the 919 Forged, 919 HMP and MP18 as options since they all fall in the Game Improvement category?

I was in a similar boat to yours, moving from old MX200s and looking for new sticks. I tried just about everything and settled on the HMPros with C-Taper Lite 110s shafts. They are so much more forgiving than the MX200s. I really wanted to like the regular 919HM or 919Forged, but I just found the best combination of control and forgiveness with the HMPro. I tend to come at the ball pretty steep and thought the wider sole on the regular HM would help me out, but it really didn't. The extra offset also made my miss a march harder left turn than I would have liked. I've played 10 rounds or so with the HMPros and spent a lot of range time adjusting to them and really couldn't be happier. They were the right sticks for me, and I continue to be a big believer in Mizuno's build quality and durability. Good luck with the hunt.

Ran into a bit of a roadblock. I was about to pull the trigger on a set of JPX 900 HM but before I did, I called PGATSS and they told me it would be tough to change the lie angle to 2 degrees flat which I would need. They said they could but the irons tend to bend back to original lie angles....is this true and does it apply to all non forged models? I guess I might have to look at a used Ping Orange or Purple Dot if that’s the case. Or else I’ll be stuck to having ordering new from the factory.

> @Kay_Jay said:

> Ran into a bit of a roadblock. I was about to pull the trigger on a set of JPX 900 HM but before I did, I called PGATSS and they told me it would be tough to change the lie angle to 2 degrees flat which I would need. They said they could but the irons tend to bend back to original lie angles....is this true and does it apply to all non forged models? I guess I might have to look at a used Ping Orange or Purple Dot if that’s the case. Or else I’ll be stuck to having ordering new from the factory.

That doesn’t sound right. Typically, with forged, it’s a good idea to get your lies checked every year or so because forged irons are soft and can bend. Not the case with cast irons like HM’s.