Mid-cappers: Transition from PING G700s to G410s

Drawman

I'm interested but mainly because I am interested in the G700 or next iteration.

Unless for some reason you've come to hate the feel of the G700, I'm not sure there is really a big difference. Maybe the 410s look slightly better and can be worked a tad more but I'd guess this is marginal.

The peak height question is a good one. Interested to see what people say here.

> @agolf1 said:

> I'm interested but mainly because I am interested in the G700 or next iteration.

>

> Unless for some reason you've come to hate the feel of the G700, I'm not sure there is really a big difference. Maybe the 410s look slightly better and can be worked a tad more but I'd guess this is marginal.

>

> The peak height question is a good one. Interested to see what people say here.

Agree on all accounts. I have an arthritic back and the G700s (especially with the Alta shafts) cut down significantly on any harshness from mis-hits. This more than makes up for the clickiness that people complain about with both the G700/G410s.

I too am awaiting the replacement for the G700s as they may be just "what the doctor ordered." I'm considering the G410s because of the shorter blade length, reduced offset, and excellent reviews.

I haven't gamed either, but I have tested both a fair amount. Average score for myself is upper 80's/low 90s. I currently play Rbladez but have also gamed the hollow head Vapor Fly's in the past. I for the life of me could not get past the feel and sound at impact of the G700 which is odd considering I did like the Vapor Fly's quite well. I also struggled with contact in general, mostly psychological as the heads were quite thick and my mindset kept telling me to strike it as a wood. Just not for me. That being said, I loved the G410 irons in testing. 10% reduction in blade length and offset really doesn't sound like much, but they are crisp looking irons and played very similar to my current set, just a bit more positive on the aesthetic side.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

I have gamed the G700's since they came out (beat out the i200, G400 and some other oems in my fitting). Since the G410's came out I have tried them several times at the fitting center even with my fitted Modus 105 shaft. Maybe it's because I'm used to the larger blade length of the 700's but the 410's seem more difficult for me. I average (83) so not totally a hack, but the 700's just seem easier for me.

To be fair, at my level I am not trying to work the ball. I need launch and the 700's provide that. I simply try and hit as many greens as possible and/or want an iron that gets me as close to the green as possible on mishits. The 700's deliver there.

As for the sound/feel, ever since the G400's came out, the G700 and G410's all have that higher pitched click that you seem to find on the more recent irons like the Cally Steelhead XR, TM M2/M4 irons etc. Once you get used to it, honestly you don't even notice it until you try another iron.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

> @erock9174 said:

> I have gamed the G700's since they came out (beat out the i200, G400 and some other oems in my fitting). Since the G410's came out I have tried them several times at the fitting center even with my fitted Modus 105 shaft. Maybe it's because I'm used to the larger blade length of the 700's but the 410's seem more difficult for me. I average (83) so not totally a hack, but the 700's just seem easier for me.

>

> To be fair, at my level I am not trying to work the ball. I need launch and the 700's provide that. ** I simply try and hit as many greens as possible and/or want an iron that gets me as close to the green as possible on mishits. The 700's deliver there. **

>

> As for the sound/feel, ever since the G400's came out, the G700 and G410's all have that higher pitched click that you seem to find on the more recent irons like the Cally Steelhead XR, TM M2/M4 irons etc. Once you get used to it, honestly you don't even notice it until you try another iron.

>

>

Working the ball is overrated for us guys that shoot 83!

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I have had the G700's for quite some time now. Sound - if you are playing a harder ball (think Srixon VX vs V) then it will have a slightly clickier sound. I certainly had no issue with this as the flight and forgiveness have been great. Came out of Cobra Forged Tec's. "feel shots or 1/2 shots" - again don't really have an issue with them either. Can hit them pretty consistently and don't have an issue with ball jumping. I don't really try to turn them left or right, so this is a non issue for me. Hitting a lower flight shot full shot with the shorter irons is a little tough though. They do want to go high and straight.

Ping G430 w/ Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 5-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Alphard V2 wheels

> @Drawman said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > I'm interested but mainly because I am interested in the G700 or next iteration.

> >

> > Unless for some reason you've come to hate the feel of the G700, I'm not sure there is really a big difference. Maybe the 410s look slightly better and can be worked a tad more but I'd guess this is marginal.

> >

> > The peak height question is a good one. Interested to see what people say here.

>

> Agree on all accounts. I have an arthritic back and the G700s (especially with the Alta shafts) cut down significantly on any harshness from mis-hits. This more than makes up for the clickiness that people complain about with both the G700/G410s.

>

> I too am awaiting the replacement for the G700s as they may be just "what the doctor ordered." I'm considering the G410s because of the shorter blade length, reduced offset, and excellent reviews.

Yeah, I just want something that goes high and straight (no need to do anything else). I'm mainly interested in the next round of the G700 or i500, as I'd like to try the hollow-body irons and there is a decent shot I will get them with graphite shafts. I'm a bit torn on the blade size thing. I'm all for forgiveness/help (which is correlated to size) but I'm not sure I want something that's larger than what I have now. At the same time, the lack of offset in the i500 bothers me, and I don't know how big of a difference there will be on the bad swings in a round.

I don't consider myself a feel player at all but after a couple of months I just couldn't stand the feel or sound of my G700's. I'd actually have guys I was paired up with ask me what I'm hitting cause they sound so "off" when hit thin, especially off the tee. I demoed the G410's but didn't love them either. I sold my '700's and ended up buying some used AP1's - happy so far. The Pings performance was great - high and far - just didn't like the sound.

> @oiler45 said:

> I don't consider myself a feel player at all but after a couple of months I just couldn't stand the feel or sound of my G700's. I'd actually have guys I was paired up with ask me what I'm hitting cause they sound so "off" when hit thin, especially off the tee. I demoed the G410's but didn't love them either. I sold my '700's and ended up buying some used AP1's - happy so far. The Pings performance was great - high and far - just didn't like the sound.

Are they any worse than hitting a hybrid? Understand there is a difference in what people are accustomed to with a 19 degree hybrid vs a 45 degree PW but is the actual feel/sound any worse? I've thought about getting the G410/400 26 and 30 degree hybrids and then some irons. Basically wondering if the G700s are something of a compromise.