Andus

> @BiggErn said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @rt_charger said:

> > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > @rt_charger said:

> > > > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > > Golf is hard. The idea that someone focuses more with one club versus another is beyond ridiculous.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Lol. My god it’s not that complex and that’s total bs.

> > > > > > > And has nothing to do with what club is in your hands! ?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > This just proves you're an idiot. Golf is entirely a mental game - name one other sport that has a repeated action like golf, done once every couple of minutes for a total of minimum 4 hours?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It most certainly is that complex, you just need to have an understanding of human psychology to actually get it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It is 100% a fact that people in general will focus less on something that appears simple or easy (in comparison to something that's harder). You put a shovel in their hands and they'll swing it normally. You put a blade in their hands and you seriously think they won't react to it?

> > > > >

> > > > > Lol. More utter bs.

> > > >

> > > > If it's BS then disprove it lol.

> > >

> > > Disprove what? That some people with self proclaimed mental issues try and play a difficult game by making it more difficult? It’s absolutely absurd to think someone focuses or concentrates less or more with one club versus another. If you’ve been playing blades for over a year and still a double digit HC without hitting the sweet spot 99% of the time you already have disproved it. To say there’s no feedback on certain clubs is also absolutely ridiculous.

> >

> > So by playing CBs for 3 years with my handicap getting no better, then dropping 2 shots within 6 months of switching to MBs what does that prove?

> >

> > Doesn’t work that way for everyone, I get it...some people’s fine motor skills are different...I can’t understand why you don’t get it. What clubs are you using BiggErn? What’s your handicap? Perhaps that will give us all a clue ;-)

>

> I use P790s and my HC is at 6.

Thanks for sharing with the group. I do get your viewpoint...lots of great reports/reviews of the P790 and TMs best selling club. @chisag swore by them for a while until he switched to P760s. I’m sure for many people, they couldn’t get a better club and improve on their scoring.

However, for me, when I address the ball with P790s, and J40 DPCs for that matter and other clubs of that ilk, the club head appears to dwarf the ball. I never feel comfortable squaring that club face to path which gives me no confidence and adversely affects my strike. I end up fighting my swing just to get a decent strike on it and there’s no point in that folly, for me.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

> @chippa13 said:

> Problem: "I've been struggling off the tee."

> Solution: "Get to the range and work on your woods, maybe take some lessons"

> Problem: "I'm wasting a lot of strokes on and around the green."

> Solution: "Spend more time on the practice green, do XXXXX drills to sharpen your putting."

> Problem: "My ball striking with irons isn't where it should be."

> Solution: "Buy blades, you clearly aren't focused enough with your current set."

![](https://thumbs.gfycat.com/InformalAntiqueInganue-size_restricted.gif "")

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

So here's the real question... how many strokes do you gain by playing GI clubs vs blades and/or vice versa? I don't think (might have missed it) people have tried to quantify this rather just use their common sense. MGS has used a similar approach when evaluating similar clubs. Would be interesting to see it used across a spectrum just for demonstration purposes.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @Golfjack said:

> So here's the real question... how many strokes do you gain by playing GI clubs vs blades and/or vice versa? I don't think (might have missed it) people have tried to quantify this rather just use their common sense. **** has used a similar approach when evaluating similar clubs. Would be interesting to see it used across a spectrum just for demonstration purposes.

It would be a tough experiment to do with any kind of accuracy. Some days we feel like we're swinging it well and others we're just try to get around. Not to mention what set are you playing? The drop-offs in forgiveness magnify as you go up the bag to long irons. Only playing blades in 9 or 8-PW? Next to no difference. Playing them all the way to 2 or 3 iron? Massive difference to something with help. Strokes gained .. how many extra strokes is a mid capper losing to a tour pro or scratch by using blades? It probably makes a difference - again hard to test.

Even this test seems very borderline in terms of validity. Starts @ 8 min. They try to quantify drop-offs in ball speed.

I think it's mostly about feel and I think that feel is a massive distraction for most amateurs.

My buddy is thinking about moving from small CBs over to a full-blown blade and I told him, _'you probably won't see a difference in scoring but you're going to feel more on every shot both good and bad.'_

I can see why somebody might be tickled by the feel of a blade here and there but on the whole, I think someone wanting to score optimally would prefer the dullest feeling club possible with which they could still get the necessary feedback.

Based on my experience, it's not a good thing when your 6-iron flashes a red alert in your hands simply because you struck it a quarter-inch out on the toe. A CB simply hands you a memo without acting like the shot was a complete meltdown. :)

Not surprisingly, my buddy who's played small CBs for years and been a low single-digit doing so is telling me he's considering the blades more or less _'...because they look cool.'_

It's all about looks. Always has been. Don't forget that.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> I think it's mostly about feel and I think that feel is a massive distraction for most amateurs.

>

> My buddy is thinking about moving from small CBs over to a full-blown blade and I told him, _'you probably won't see a difference in scoring but you're going to feel more on every shot both good and bad.'_

>

> I can see why somebody might be tickled by the feel of a blade here and there but on the whole, I think someone wanting to score optimally would prefer the dullest feeling club possible with which they could still get the necessary feedback.

>

> Based on my experience, it's not a good thing when your 6-iron flashes a red alert in your hands simply because you struck it a quarter-inch out on the toe. A CB simply hands you a memo without acting like the shot was a complete meltdown. :)

>

> Not surprisingly, my buddy who's played small CBs for years and been a low single-digit doing so is telling me he's considering the blades more or less _'...because they look cool.'_

>

> It's all about looks. Always has been. Don't forget that.

I'm currently gaming '94 Hogan blades right down to 3i and I haven't had a single shot that "flashes a red alert". The club twists a bit more and you can definitely feel thin shots, but not in a painful way.

> @Bubbtubbs said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > I think it's mostly about feel and I think that feel is a massive distraction for most amateurs.

> >

> > My buddy is thinking about moving from small CBs over to a full-blown blade and I told him, _'you probably won't see a difference in scoring but you're going to feel more on every shot both good and bad.'_

> >

> > I can see why somebody might be tickled by the feel of a blade here and there but on the whole, I think someone wanting to score optimally would prefer the dullest feeling club possible with which they could still get the necessary feedback.

> >

> > Based on my experience, it's not a good thing when your 6-iron flashes a red alert in your hands simply because you struck it a quarter-inch out on the toe. A CB simply hands you a memo without acting like the shot was a complete meltdown. :)

> >

> > Not surprisingly, my buddy who's played small CBs for years and been a low single-digit doing so is telling me he's considering the blades more or less _'...because they look cool.'_

> >

> > It's all about looks. Always has been. Don't forget that.

>

> I'm currently gaming '94 Hogan blades right down to 3i and I haven't had a single shot that "flashes a red alert". The club twists a bit more and you can definitely feel thin shots, but not in a painful way.

I didn't say painful. Don't misconstrue the point.

If you play blades you know precisely the kind of feedback they provide. Amateurs do not need that level of feedback to play decent golf and in general (or at least with me) it tends to over-inflate the significance of misses to the point that amateurs are not happy with shots that are in all actuality perfectly sufficient and well within the bounds of acceptability.

When I say "red alert" I mean it's _distracting_, not that it's going to drop you to your knees in pain. It has nothing to do with pain.

I'll say up front I have no tolerance for those who believe golf is about perfect shots or anyone trying to sell golf as anything less than trying to finish the round in as few strokes as possible whether that's beating a 90 with an 89 or something far more impressive.

Advice to amateurs should be towards helping them enjoy the game more and ideally accomplishing that with respect to one having more control of their game than they might. Blades do not give the average player more control over their game. In my experience they will not make things more predictable. Quite the opposite in fact. And I'm really not interested in arguments based on theoretical whimsy. If it's not good for the average player, then why are we talking about it, right?

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @Bubbtubbs said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > I think it's mostly about feel and I think that feel is a massive distraction for most amateurs.

> >

> > My buddy is thinking about moving from small CBs over to a full-blown blade and I told him, _'you probably won't see a difference in scoring but you're going to feel more on every shot both good and bad.'_

> >

> > I can see why somebody might be tickled by the feel of a blade here and there but on the whole, I think someone wanting to score optimally would prefer the dullest feeling club possible with which they could still get the necessary feedback.

> >

> > Based on my experience, it's not a good thing when your 6-iron flashes a red alert in your hands simply because you struck it a quarter-inch out on the toe. A CB simply hands you a memo without acting like the shot was a complete meltdown. :)

> >

> > Not surprisingly, my buddy who's played small CBs for years and been a low single-digit doing so is telling me he's considering the blades more or less _'...because they look cool.'_

> >

> > It's all about looks. Always has been. Don't forget that.

>

> I'm currently gaming '94 Hogan blades right down to 3i and I haven't had a single shot that "flashes a red alert". The club twists a bit more and you can definitely feel thin shots, but not in a painful way.

Re: face opening and MOI etc. The first hole on the track I play up at my cottage is a shortish par 4 dog left with a pond on the corner. Basically makes it impossible to hit anything but iron off the tee as there is OB right and a 30 yard wide fairway between pond on left and trees/OB right. The water is also 220 out and doesn't end until 300 so virtually impossible to succeed with driver. I hit 5 iron off the tee with a bit of wind behind but with the blade and a slight miss hit (first swing of the day with no warm up) I go the distance I needed but I felt the face open a touch. This lead to the ball being under a tree and a restricted swing for me. That same swing with my other players CBs I have/now use goes straight and leaves me on the fairway. That isn't imagination it's a fact and THAT is a difference in hitting a green or not.

> @MelloYello said:

> > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > I think it's mostly about feel and I think that feel is a massive distraction for most amateurs.

> > >

> > > My buddy is thinking about moving from small CBs over to a full-blown blade and I told him, _'you probably won't see a difference in scoring but you're going to feel more on every shot both good and bad.'_

> > >

> > > I can see why somebody might be tickled by the feel of a blade here and there but on the whole, I think someone wanting to score optimally would prefer the dullest feeling club possible with which they could still get the necessary feedback.

> > >

> > > Based on my experience, it's not a good thing when your 6-iron flashes a red alert in your hands simply because you struck it a quarter-inch out on the toe. A CB simply hands you a memo without acting like the shot was a complete meltdown. :)

> > >

> > > Not surprisingly, my buddy who's played small CBs for years and been a low single-digit doing so is telling me he's considering the blades more or less _'...because they look cool.'_

> > >

> > > It's all about looks. Always has been. Don't forget that.

> >

> > I'm currently gaming '94 Hogan blades right down to 3i and I haven't had a single shot that "flashes a red alert". The club twists a bit more and you can definitely feel thin shots, but not in a painful way.

>

> I didn't say painful. Don't misconstrue the point.

>

> If you play blades you know precisely the kind of feedback they provide. Amateurs do not need that level of feedback to play decent golf and in general (or at least with me) it tends to over-inflate the significance of misses to the point that amateurs are not happy with shots that are in all actuality perfectly sufficient and well within the bounds of acceptability.

>

> When I say "red alert" I mean it's _distracting_, not that it's going to drop you to your knees in pain. It has nothing to do with pain.

>

> I'll say up front I have no tolerance for those who believe golf is about perfect shots or anyone trying to sell golf as anything less than trying to finish the round in as few strokes as possible whether that's beating a 90 with an 89 or something far more impressive.

>

> Advice to amateurs should be towards helping them enjoy the game more and ideally accomplishing that with respect to one having more control of their game than they might. Blades do not give the average player more control over their game. In my experience they will not make things more predictable. Quite the opposite in fact. And I'm really not interested in arguments based on theoretical whimsy. If it's not good for the average player, then why are we talking about it, right?

But tell us how you *really* feel.

Played Titleist and Mizuno blades for years because I like the look and feel of a well hit shot with a forged club. Recently hit a playing partners GI 4 iron and crushed it effortlessly. A week later I’m getting fitting and left Golf Town with TM M4s. (They were 50% off the original MSRP). All I can say is man what was I waiting for all these years. My scores have dropped and my consistency and Greens in Regulation has improved substantially since hanging up the blades.

I agree they (blades) feel AMAZING when you find the sweet spot but I GUARANTEE that the outcome of a toe shot with a GI iron still comes out better than the blade.

Let’s not even mention ease of swing and distance gains. (Yea, the new lofts...I got it but damn)

Good luck with your blades OP. I too love them but have recently decided lower scores and consistency are more important to me.

• Like 1

> @balls_deep said:

> > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > I think it's mostly about feel and I think that feel is a massive distraction for most amateurs.

> > >

> > > My buddy is thinking about moving from small CBs over to a full-blown blade and I told him, _'you probably won't see a difference in scoring but you're going to feel more on every shot both good and bad.'_

> > >

> > > I can see why somebody might be tickled by the feel of a blade here and there but on the whole, I think someone wanting to score optimally would prefer the dullest feeling club possible with which they could still get the necessary feedback.

> > >

> > > Based on my experience, it's not a good thing when your 6-iron flashes a red alert in your hands simply because you struck it a quarter-inch out on the toe. A CB simply hands you a memo without acting like the shot was a complete meltdown. :)

> > >

> > > Not surprisingly, my buddy who's played small CBs for years and been a low single-digit doing so is telling me he's considering the blades more or less _'...because they look cool.'_

> > >

> >

> > I'm currently gaming '94 Hogan blades right down to 3i and I haven't had a single shot that "flashes a red alert". The club twists a bit more and you can definitely feel thin shots, but not in a painful way.

>

> Re: face opening and MOI etc. The first hole on the track I play up at my cottage is a shortish par 4 dog left with a pond on the corner. Basically makes it impossible to hit anything but iron off the tee as there is OB right and a 30 yard wide fairway between pond on left and trees/OB right. The water is also 220 out and doesn't end until 300 so virtually impossible to succeed with driver. I hit 5 iron off the tee with a bit of wind behind but with the blade and a slight miss hit (first swing of the day with no warm up) I go the distance I needed but I felt the face open a touch. This lead to the ball being under a tree and a restricted swing for me. That same swing with my other players CBs I have/now use goes straight and leaves me on the fairway. That isn't imagination it's a fact and THAT is a difference in hitting a green or not.

So, I guess the difference is that I'm actually ok with putting the ball behind a tree occasionally, because it shows me that I made a mistake that needs to be cleaned up. For me, at this point in my growth, the best thing I can get from a round is a lesson that I can take with me down the road.

I'm not worried about the scores I shot last month--I'm much more interested in making sure I build good habits so that I'm a better golfer in a few years. To the extent my irons give me exactly what I put into them, I like them as a learning tool. And what I have found practically is that I have a lot of small and big successes during rounds, and I can look back and measure my improvement with full knowledge that there's no static in the line.

I'm also not at the point where I can look at my iron play and be angry over a single lost stroke. The thing that deserves my serious attention is my putting, so that's what I've been focusing on.

I got to go to the Northern Trust this weekend. The thing that seriously stood out to me, by seeing great players up close, is just the fact that everyone is an excellent lag putter. You see it on TV all the time, but seeing the actual distances and performances (and not just seeing featured groups) in person puts it into a different perspective.

One thing that was really memorable was watching Justin Rose on hole #16 on Sunday. It was a driveable par 4, but he put his drive onto the #17 tee box. He then hit a 40-yard pitch that left him 24 feet to the hole. He made the putt for birdie.

If I'm in that spot with a 40-yard pitch, there's a decent chance I lose a stroke on the pitch and a very high chance that I will 3-putt from 24 feet. That's where I can start to really shave strokes. Compared to that, my irons are pretty irrelevant.

> @MelloYello said:

> > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

> I didn't say painful. Don't misconstrue the point.

>

> If you play blades you know precisely the kind of feedback they provide. Amateurs do not need that level of feedback to play decent golf and in general (or at least with me) it tends to over-inflate the significance of misses to the point that amateurs are not happy with shots that are in all actuality perfectly sufficient and well within the bounds of acceptability.

>

> When I say "red alert" I mean it's _distracting_, not that it's going to drop you to your knees in pain. It has nothing to do with pain.

>

> I'll say up front I have no tolerance for those who believe golf is about perfect shots or anyone trying to sell golf as anything less than trying to finish the round in as few strokes as possible whether that's beating a 90 with an 89 or something far more impressive.

>

> Advice to amateurs should be towards helping them enjoy the game more and ideally accomplishing that with respect to one having more control of their game than they might. Blades do not give the average player more control over their game. In my experience they will not make things more predictable. Quite the opposite in fact. And I'm really not interested in arguments based on theoretical whimsy. If it's not good for the average player, then why are we talking about it, right?

I dunno, maybe I'm not your average player, but one of the main reasons I use blades is precisely because they are so damned predictable. If I have a 7 iron in my hand, I know if I hit it out the middle it's going to go around 165 yards, if I catch it a little fat, probably about 10 yards less. If I don;t turn properly it'll go 165 yards but around 20 yards left, if I block it, the same right.

With CB's, I saw a much bigger variance in all those figures, which made scoring more difficult. Your mileage may vary, but that's why I've stuck with blades for 15 years or so.

• Like 1

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @bodhi555 said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > I think it's mostly about feel and I think that feel is a massive distraction for most amateurs.

> > > >

> > > > My buddy is thinking about moving from small CBs over to a full-blown blade and I told him, _'you probably won't see a difference in scoring but you're going to feel more on every shot both good and bad.'_

> > > >

> > > > I can see why somebody might be tickled by the feel of a blade here and there but on the whole, I think someone wanting to score optimally would prefer the dullest feeling club possible with which they could still get the necessary feedback.

> > > >

> > > > Based on my experience, it's not a good thing when your 6-iron flashes a red alert in your hands simply because you struck it a quarter-inch out on the toe. A CB simply hands you a memo without acting like the shot was a complete meltdown. :)

> > > >

> > > > Not surprisingly, my buddy who's played small CBs for years and been a low single-digit doing so is telling me he's considering the blades more or less _'...because they look cool.'_

> > > >

> > > > It's all about looks. Always has been. Don't forget that.

> > >

> > > I'm currently gaming '94 Hogan blades right down to 3i and I haven't had a single shot that "flashes a red alert". The club twists a bit more and you can definitely feel thin shots, but not in a painful way.

> >

> > I didn't say painful. Don't misconstrue the point.

> >

> > If you play blades you know precisely the kind of feedback they provide. Amateurs do not need that level of feedback to play decent golf and in general (or at least with me) it tends to over-inflate the significance of misses to the point that amateurs are not happy with shots that are in all actuality perfectly sufficient and well within the bounds of acceptability.

> >

> > When I say "red alert" I mean it's _distracting_, not that it's going to drop you to your knees in pain. It has nothing to do with pain.

> >

> > I'll say up front I have no tolerance for those who believe golf is about perfect shots or anyone trying to sell golf as anything less than trying to finish the round in as few strokes as possible whether that's beating a 90 with an 89 or something far more impressive.

> >

> > Advice to amateurs should be towards helping them enjoy the game more and ideally accomplishing that with respect to one having more control of their game than they might. Blades do not give the average player more control over their game. In my experience they will not make things more predictable. Quite the opposite in fact. And I'm really not interested in arguments based on theoretical whimsy. If it's not good for the average player, then why are we talking about it, right?

>

> I dunno, maybe I'm not your average player, but one of the main reasons I use blades is precisely because they are so damned predictable. If I have a 7 iron in my hand, I know if I hit it out the middle it's going to go around 165 yards, if I catch it a little fat, probably about 10 yards less. If I don;t turn properly it'll go 165 yards but around 20 yards left, if I block it, the same right.

>

> With CB's, I saw a much bigger variance in all those figures, which made scoring more difficult. Your mileage may vary, but that's why I've stuck with blades for 15 years or so.

That’s why over 70% of all professionals don’t use them. If you’ve been playing blades for 15 years I’ll assume you’re a plus cap.

> @bodhi555 said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > > I think it's mostly about feel and I think that feel is a massive distraction for most amateurs.

> > > >

> > > > My buddy is thinking about moving from small CBs over to a full-blown blade and I told him, _'you probably won't see a difference in scoring but you're going to feel more on every shot both good and bad.'_

> > > >

> > > > I can see why somebody might be tickled by the feel of a blade here and there but on the whole, I think someone wanting to score optimally would prefer the dullest feeling club possible with which they could still get the necessary feedback.

> > > >

> > > > Based on my experience, it's not a good thing when your 6-iron flashes a red alert in your hands simply because you struck it a quarter-inch out on the toe. A CB simply hands you a memo without acting like the shot was a complete meltdown. :)

> > > >

> > > > Not surprisingly, my buddy who's played small CBs for years and been a low single-digit doing so is telling me he's considering the blades more or less _'...because they look cool.'_

> > > >

> > >

> > > I'm currently gaming '94 Hogan blades right down to 3i and I haven't had a single shot that "flashes a red alert". The club twists a bit more and you can definitely feel thin shots, but not in a painful way.

> >

> > I didn't say painful. Don't misconstrue the point.

> >

> > If you play blades you know precisely the kind of feedback they provide. Amateurs do not need that level of feedback to play decent golf and in general (or at least with me) it tends to over-inflate the significance of misses to the point that amateurs are not happy with shots that are in all actuality perfectly sufficient and well within the bounds of acceptability.

> >

> > When I say "red alert" I mean it's _distracting_, not that it's going to drop you to your knees in pain. It has nothing to do with pain.

> >

> > I'll say up front I have no tolerance for those who believe golf is about perfect shots or anyone trying to sell golf as anything less than trying to finish the round in as few strokes as possible whether that's beating a 90 with an 89 or something far more impressive.

> >

> > Advice to amateurs should be towards helping them enjoy the game more and ideally accomplishing that with respect to one having more control of their game than they might. Blades do not give the average player more control over their game. In my experience they will not make things more predictable. Quite the opposite in fact. And I'm really not interested in arguments based on theoretical whimsy. If it's not good for the average player, then why are we talking about it, right?

>

> I dunno, maybe I'm not your average player, but one of the main reasons I use blades is precisely because they are so damned predictable. If I have a 7 iron in my hand, I know if I hit it out the middle it's going to go around 165 yards, if I catch it a little fat, probably about 10 yards less. If I don;t turn properly it'll go 165 yards but around 20 yards left, if I block it, the same right.

>

> With CB's, I saw a much bigger variance in all those figures, which made scoring more difficult. Your mileage may vary, but that's why I've stuck with blades for 15 years or so.

I don't know exactly what an average player is but,,,,,,,,

I'm on year 8 of my Ping G20s. I'm a "5".

If I have a 7 iron in my hand I know if I hit it out the middle it's going to go around 152 yards, (sans any wind effect of course), +/- about 2 yards.

If I catch it a "little" fat, due to the reduced spin that type of shot typically produces, it may go pretty much the same. A little more fat and I'll lose about 10. Hooks don't hook as much as with a blade and cuts don't cut as much as with a blade but I'm OK with that.

With blades, I saw a much larger variance with mishits, which occur (in varying degrees of course) about 40-50% of the time, which made scoring more difficult. YMMV but that's why I'm sticking with my GIs. Since a blade isn't likely to produce a better variance that's why I'm sticking with the GIs for 20+ years or so.

Titleist Pro V1X

> @BiggErn said:

> > @bodhi555 said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > > I think it's mostly about feel and I think that feel is a massive distraction for most amateurs.

> > > > >

> > > > > My buddy is thinking about moving from small CBs over to a full-blown blade and I told him, _'you probably won't see a difference in scoring but you're going to feel more on every shot both good and bad.'_

> > > > >

> > > > > I can see why somebody might be tickled by the feel of a blade here and there but on the whole, I think someone wanting to score optimally would prefer the dullest feeling club possible with which they could still get the necessary feedback.

> > > > >

> > > > > Based on my experience, it's not a good thing when your 6-iron flashes a red alert in your hands simply because you struck it a quarter-inch out on the toe. A CB simply hands you a memo without acting like the shot was a complete meltdown. :)

> > > > >

> > > > > Not surprisingly, my buddy who's played small CBs for years and been a low single-digit doing so is telling me he's considering the blades more or less _'...because they look cool.'_

> > > > >

> > > > > It's all about looks. Always has been. Don't forget that.

> > > >

> > > > I'm currently gaming '94 Hogan blades right down to 3i and I haven't had a single shot that "flashes a red alert". The club twists a bit more and you can definitely feel thin shots, but not in a painful way.

> > >

> > > I didn't say painful. Don't misconstrue the point.

> > >

> > > If you play blades you know precisely the kind of feedback they provide. Amateurs do not need that level of feedback to play decent golf and in general (or at least with me) it tends to over-inflate the significance of misses to the point that amateurs are not happy with shots that are in all actuality perfectly sufficient and well within the bounds of acceptability.

> > >

> > > When I say "red alert" I mean it's _distracting_, not that it's going to drop you to your knees in pain. It has nothing to do with pain.

> > >

> > > I'll say up front I have no tolerance for those who believe golf is about perfect shots or anyone trying to sell golf as anything less than trying to finish the round in as few strokes as possible whether that's beating a 90 with an 89 or something far more impressive.

> > >

> > > Advice to amateurs should be towards helping them enjoy the game more and ideally accomplishing that with respect to one having more control of their game than they might. Blades do not give the average player more control over their game. In my experience they will not make things more predictable. Quite the opposite in fact. And I'm really not interested in arguments based on theoretical whimsy. If it's not good for the average player, then why are we talking about it, right?

> >

> > I dunno, maybe I'm not your average player, but one of the main reasons I use blades is precisely because they are so damned predictable. If I have a 7 iron in my hand, I know if I hit it out the middle it's going to go around 165 yards, if I catch it a little fat, probably about 10 yards less. If I don;t turn properly it'll go 165 yards but around 20 yards left, if I block it, the same right.

> >

> > With CB's, I saw a much bigger variance in all those figures, which made scoring more difficult. Your mileage may vary, but that's why I've stuck with blades for 15 years or so.

>

> That’s why over 70% of all professionals don’t use them. If you’ve been playing blades for 15 years I’ll assume you’re a plus cap.

No, I currently play off 6. When I used CBs all the time I was off 11.

HOW DID THAT HAPPEN???!!?!?! Almost as if there's more to scoring than where the weight is positioned in your irons!

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @Golfjack said:

> So here's the real question... how many strokes do you gain by playing GI clubs vs blades and/or vice versa? I don't think (might have missed it) people have tried to quantify this rather just use their common sense. **** has used a similar approach when evaluating similar clubs. Would be interesting to see it used across a spectrum just for demonstration purposes.

How many stars are in the Universe ?

Same-same. Since NO 2 shots are ever alike you're asking a question that's impossible to answer.

This real question has been asked and answered many times before even in this thread.

And the only answer is that it's up to the user to quantify, however inaccurate it may or may not be.

Kinda like the guy who thinks the psychology of hitting a smaller SS, the center of the face, will somehow cause the player to concentrate more. LMAO

Titleist Pro V1X

> @revanant said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > Re: face opening and MOI etc. The first hole on the track I play up at my cottage is a shortish par 4 dog left with a pond on the corner. Basically makes it impossible to hit anything but iron off the tee as there is OB right and a 30 yard wide fairway between pond on left and trees/OB right. The water is also 220 out and doesn't end until 300 so virtually impossible to succeed with driver. I hit 5 iron off the tee with a bit of wind behind but with the blade and a slight miss hit (first swing of the day with no warm up) I go the distance I needed but I felt the face open a touch. This lead to the ball being under a tree and a restricted swing for me. That same swing with my other players CBs I have/now use goes straight and leaves me on the fairway. That isn't imagination it's a fact and THAT is a difference in hitting a green or not.

>

> So, I guess the difference is that I'm actually ok with putting the ball behind a tree occasionally, because it shows me that I made a mistake that needs to be cleaned up. For me, at this point in my growth, the best thing I can get from a round is a lesson that I can take with me down the road.

>

> I'm not worried about the scores I shot last month--I'm much more interested in making sure I build good habits so that I'm a better golfer in a few years. To the extent my irons give me exactly what I put into them, I like them as a learning tool. And what I have found practically is that I have a lot of small and big successes during rounds, and I can look back and measure my improvement with full knowledge that there's no static in the line.

> ****

> I'm also not at the point where I can look at my iron play and be angry over a single lost stroke. The thing that deserves my serious attention is my putting, so that's what I've been focusing on.

>

> I got to go to the Northern Trust this weekend. The thing that seriously stood out to me, by seeing great players up close, is just the fact that everyone is an excellent lag putter. You see it on TV all the time, but seeing the actual distances and performances (and not just seeing featured groups) in person puts it into a different perspective.

>

> One thing that was really memorable was watching Justin Rose on hole #16 on Sunday. It was a driveable par 4, but he put his drive onto the #17 tee box. He then hit a 40-yard pitch that left him 24 feet to the hole. He made the putt for birdie.

>

> If I'm in that spot with a 40-yard pitch, there's a decent chance I lose a stroke on the pitch and a very high chance that I will 3-putt from 24 feet. That's where I can start to really shave strokes. Compared to that, my irons are pretty irrelevant.

>

>

>

To be honest you're kind of contradicting yourself. You say you don't care if you're behind a tree because the lesson is more important than your score, but then you're talking about improving other parts of your game which are going to improve your score. If you aren't behind that tree with a 10-20 yard distance loss from the open club face, your strokes gained improve through a much higher percentage of GIR and general proximity to the hole. If I miss hit the ball and get a good result, I still am mad at myself for that bad swing. I'm just going to have a slightly better score at the end. If I had that exact same swing with my iBlade, I guarantee you that ball is on the fairway. I also guarantee you that hitting the green with a PW from the fairway instead of a knockdown 8 iron from under a tree is much more likely. I still feel the miss hit with the other club, I still make adjustments, I'm just not under a d*mn tree. There is no "learning" justification for blades - you can learn just as much playing something with help. You like the way they look and feel. End of story. That isn't a bad thing and as you said you might be shooting the same score because of other reasons. If you're going with that argument you should go buy some persimmon woods, wedges with absolutely no bounce, and a Wilson 8802 putter so that you can learn lessons from all of your clubs at once.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @revanant said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > > > I think it's mostly about feel and I think that feel is a massive distraction for most amateurs.

> > > > >

> > > > > My buddy is thinking about moving from small CBs over to a full-blown blade and I told him, _'you probably won't see a difference in scoring but you're going to feel more on every shot both good and bad.'_

> > > > >

> > > > > I can see why somebody might be tickled by the feel of a blade here and there but on the whole, I think someone wanting to score optimally would prefer the dullest feeling club possible with which they could still get the necessary feedback.

> > > > >

> > > > > Based on my experience, it's not a good thing when your 6-iron flashes a red alert in your hands simply because you struck it a quarter-inch out on the toe. A CB simply hands you a memo without acting like the shot was a complete meltdown. :)

> > > > >

> > > > > Not surprisingly, my buddy who's played small CBs for years and been a low single-digit doing so is telling me he's considering the blades more or less _'...because they look cool.'_

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I'm currently gaming '94 Hogan blades right down to 3i and I haven't had a single shot that "flashes a red alert". The club twists a bit more and you can definitely feel thin shots, but not in a painful way.

> > >

> > > Re: face opening and MOI etc. The first hole on the track I play up at my cottage is a shortish par 4 dog left with a pond on the corner. Basically makes it impossible to hit anything but iron off the tee as there is OB right and a 30 yard wide fairway between pond on left and trees/OB right. The water is also 220 out and doesn't end until 300 so virtually impossible to succeed with driver. I hit 5 iron off the tee with a bit of wind behind but with the blade and a slight miss hit (first swing of the day with no warm up) I go the distance I needed but I felt the face open a touch. This lead to the ball being under a tree and a restricted swing for me. That same swing with my other players CBs I have/now use goes straight and leaves me on the fairway. That isn't imagination it's a fact and THAT is a difference in hitting a green or not.

> >

> > So, I guess the difference is that I'm actually ok with putting the ball behind a tree occasionally, because it shows me that I made a mistake that needs to be cleaned up. For me, at this point in my growth, the best thing I can get from a round is a lesson that I can take with me down the road.

> >

> > I'm not worried about the scores I shot last month--I'm much more interested in making sure I build good habits so that I'm a better golfer in a few years. To the extent my irons give me exactly what I put into them, I like them as a learning tool. And what I have found practically is that I have a lot of small and big successes during rounds, and I can look back and measure my improvement with full knowledge that there's no static in the line.

> > ****

> > I'm also not at the point where I can look at my iron play and be angry over a single lost stroke. The thing that deserves my serious attention is my putting, so that's what I've been focusing on.

> >

> > I got to go to the Northern Trust this weekend. The thing that seriously stood out to me, by seeing great players up close, is just the fact that everyone is an excellent lag putter. You see it on TV all the time, but seeing the actual distances and performances (and not just seeing featured groups) in person puts it into a different perspective.

> >

> > One thing that was really memorable was watching Justin Rose on hole #16 on Sunday. It was a driveable par 4, but he put his drive onto the #17 tee box. He then hit a 40-yard pitch that left him 24 feet to the hole. He made the putt for birdie.

> >

> > If I'm in that spot with a 40-yard pitch, there's a decent chance I lose a stroke on the pitch and a very high chance that I will 3-putt from 24 feet. That's where I can start to really shave strokes. Compared to that, my irons are pretty irrelevant.

> >

> >

> >

>

> To be honest you're kind of contradicting yourself. You say you don't care if you're behind a tree because the lesson is more important than your score, but then you're talking about improving other parts of your game which are going to improve your score. If you aren't behind that tree with a 10-20 yard distance loss from the open club face, your strokes gained improve through a much higher percentage of GIR and general proximity to the hole. If I miss hit the ball and get a good result, I still am mad at myself for that bad swing. I'm just going to have a slightly better score at the end. If I had that exact same swing with my iBlade, I guarantee you that ball is on the fairway. I also guarantee you that hitting the green with a PW from the fairway instead of a knockdown 8 iron from under a tree is much more likely. I still feel the miss hit with the other club, I still make adjustments, I'm just not under a d*mn tree. There is no "learning" justification for blades - you can learn just as much playing something with help. You like the way they look and feel. End of story. That isn't a bad thing and as you said you might be shooting the same score because of other reasons. If you're going with that argument you should go buy some persimmon woods, wedges with absolutely no bounce, and a Wilson 8802 putter so that you can learn lessons from all of your clubs at once.

You’re not going to tell me that I have no business putting with an 8802-type putter are you?

Radius Classic 8

> @balls_deep said:

> > @revanant said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @Bubbtubbs said:

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Re: face opening and MOI etc. The first hole on the track I play up at my cottage is a shortish par 4 dog left with a pond on the corner. Basically makes it impossible to hit anything but iron off the tee as there is OB right and a 30 yard wide fairway between pond on left and trees/OB right. The water is also 220 out and doesn't end until 300 so virtually impossible to succeed with driver. I hit 5 iron off the tee with a bit of wind behind but with the blade and a slight miss hit (first swing of the day with no warm up) I go the distance I needed but I felt the face open a touch. This lead to the ball being under a tree and a restricted swing for me. That same swing with my other players CBs I have/now use goes straight and leaves me on the fairway. That isn't imagination it's a fact and THAT is a difference in hitting a green or not.

> >

> > So, I guess the difference is that I'm actually ok with putting the ball behind a tree occasionally, because it shows me that I made a mistake that needs to be cleaned up. For me, at this point in my growth, the best thing I can get from a round is a lesson that I can take with me down the road.

> >

> > I'm not worried about the scores I shot last month--I'm much more interested in making sure I build good habits so that I'm a better golfer in a few years. To the extent my irons give me exactly what I put into them, I like them as a learning tool. And what I have found practically is that I have a lot of small and big successes during rounds, and I can look back and measure my improvement with full knowledge that there's no static in the line.

> > ****

> > I'm also not at the point where I can look at my iron play and be angry over a single lost stroke. The thing that deserves my serious attention is my putting, so that's what I've been focusing on.

> >

> > I got to go to the Northern Trust this weekend. The thing that seriously stood out to me, by seeing great players up close, is just the fact that everyone is an excellent lag putter. You see it on TV all the time, but seeing the actual distances and performances (and not just seeing featured groups) in person puts it into a different perspective.

> >

> > One thing that was really memorable was watching Justin Rose on hole #16 on Sunday. It was a driveable par 4, but he put his drive onto the #17 tee box. He then hit a 40-yard pitch that left him 24 feet to the hole. He made the putt for birdie.

> >

> > If I'm in that spot with a 40-yard pitch, there's a decent chance I lose a stroke on the pitch and a very high chance that I will 3-putt from 24 feet. That's where I can start to really shave strokes. Compared to that, my irons are pretty irrelevant.

> >

> >

> >

>

> To be honest you're kind of contradicting yourself. You say you don't care if you're behind a tree because the lesson is more important than your score, but then you're talking about improving other parts of your game which are going to improve your score. If you aren't behind that tree with a 10-20 yard distance loss from the open club face, your strokes gained improve through a much higher percentage of GIR and general proximity to the hole. If I miss hit the ball and get a good result, I still am mad at myself for that bad swing. I'm just going to have a slightly better score at the end. If I had that exact same swing with my iBlade, I guarantee you that ball is on the fairway. I also guarantee you that hitting the green with a PW from the fairway instead of a knockdown 8 iron from under a tree is much more likely. I still feel the miss hit with the other club, I still make adjustments, I'm just not under a d*mn tree. There is no "learning" justification for blades - you can learn just as much playing something with help. You like the way they look and feel. End of story. That isn't a bad thing and as you said you might be shooting the same score because of other reasons. If you're going with that argument you should go buy some persimmon woods, wedges with absolutely no bounce, and a Wilson 8802 putter so that you can learn lessons from all of your clubs at once.

So, I have a similar example of something that happened to me a few rounds ago. I had a good lie from about 135 yards to the pin for my second shot on a par 4. It's my perfect 7 iron distance. Only I hit an overcooked draw and put the ball into a greenside bunker that needed about 145 yards of carry to be reached. I now had about 15 yards to the pin, but I made really clean contact with my sand wedge, and wound up in the rough, about 40 yards from where I was standing. Annoyed with myself, I kept my sand wedge in hand and botched the pitch, putting it about 10 feet from where I was standing. Another pitch was called for, which was better but short, leaving me just on the fringe of the green and about 12 feet away. Rather than chip, I used my putter, and got lucky--the putt tracked to the hole and dropped, for a double bogey.

The whole thing was just an expensive saga of mistakes. It all could have been avoided if I hadn't overcooked my iron shot. But it was a clean strike--I just caught it a little forward and closed, and it's the sort of miss that would happen with any iron. Morevoer, the damage should have been lessened coming out of the bunker, and with all-around better chipping and more focus. I also got the memory of having a fluke putt drop. Looking back, it's a useful memory, and the fact that I made a double bogey when I was in great position for a par or a bogey has zero actual cost or consequence attached to it from a scoring perspective--it's way in the past. The memory and lesson is more important to me.

Things I learned/was reminded of:

1) Be careful about ball position with mid-irons;

2) Be very careful not to catch a ball too cleanly from a bunker;

3) Don't rush pitches/chips;

4) Bad shots happen--don't let them compound;

5) Don't give up on putts.

Quite frankly, your game is farther along than mine is. You probably are a much better lag putter, and you've cut out most of the mental mistakes from your short game. I'm not there yet, but I look forward to getting there.

I hear your point about persimmons and such. I actually wouldn't be against teeing up a persimmon for a round or two, or playing a hickory-shafted iron. I think it would be fun, even if I don't score as well. My score was much higher than usual when I played Bethpage Black, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I do want to play my best. But I'm ok with the fact that improvement in golf isn't always linear.

That being said, my MP-4s are in the bag because--the above anecdote notwithstanding--I'm actually having a lot of success with them. They are my iron set with the flattest lie angle and most narrow sole, and I think it goes a long way towards why I strike the ball well with them. Practically, I find I have good ball flight on the course, even though the shaft is a bad fit on paper. So, I'm a little hesitant to change things up, since things are working well.

But, while I won't sell my MP-4s, I also won't honestly won't cling to my MP-4s as my primary irons if I can play better golf with a different set. I'm sitting on my 716 CBs, and I am going to pay for a lie adjustment to see if it helps improve their performance in my hands. I''m just waiting for the new T100s/MP20s/etc. to drop. At that point, I'm planning on going in to Club Champion and doing an iron + shaft test. Loft+lie adjustment is included as part of the service, so I can make sure I'm dialing in the 716 CBs exactly. I'll put my MP-4s and 716 CBs up against newer offerings, and if I find a club + shaft combo that gives me improved performance from my current setup, I'll make changes based on my budget.

But, I'll probably still be out of luck if I overcook a draw. : )

I'm an old guy (69) and I play hybrids through the seven. About a five hdcp. Have the hybrids helped my game? Oh yes, best golf thing I've done in years. I can tell where on the face I make contact, just like I could with the old Walter Hagen's I first played. The Haig's never told me anything I didn't already know, and stubbornly refused to give me any swing advice.

I’ll just leave this here. Discuss.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JQx2jbbgK-0#fauxfullscreen

Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> I’ll just leave this here. Discuss.

>

> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JQx2jbbgK-0#fauxfullscreen

I mean, yeah. You can hit a ball with them. Again, the guy has an abysmal swing so how much of a difference does it make? Not a ton. There is no consistency whatsoever. He's spraying the ball all over the place. For me, trying to shoot par, I want the cushion of distance retention/MOI when strike isn't perfectly middled. For what it's worth, I hit smaller irons/thinner soles much better so I can see your point from that perspective. I just think you can get every single benefit from a CB that you get from a blade without the downsides.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > I’ll just leave this here. Discuss.

> >

> > https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JQx2jbbgK-0#fauxfullscreen

>

> I mean, yeah. You can hit a ball with them. Again, the guy has an abysmal swing so how much of a difference does it make? Not a ton. There is no consistency whatsoever. He's spraying the ball all over the place. For me, trying to shoot par, I want the cushion of distance retention/MOI when strike isn't perfectly middled. For what it's worth, I hit smaller irons/thinner soles much better so I can see your point from that perspective. I just think you can get every single benefit from a CB that you get from a blade without the downsides.

My take from the video is that the P730s are the least playable of the modern blades according to Maltby and yet the results were, you could argue, better than those of the best selling club of the last couple of years even with the guy’s inconsistency. An example of the marketing winning against results on the course?

Radius Classic 8

I've played MBs / CBs and G type irons (Apex FTX, Hogan Edge CFT, MP-32, MP-53) ... played similar with all. Currently, my lowest iron is a 6i so there would be little difference anyways. I can shoot in the 70's or 90's with any of them since location off the tee is a bigger factor in my scores than the type of iron I play.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

^^^ I agree. ^^^

I have many MB's and what works and what does not comes down to shaft profile and gross mass. MB's need much more attention on this, the MM's of good hit zone is smaller and you need a higher groove impact to realize benefits of high spin & low launch. Not all blades are good or great. Some factory setups are awful. I've acquired a dozen sets, all used, it's cheap, but only 3 maybe are beautifully specified/built and fit me well even if most all shafts are in the zone a fitter or myself could sign off on. Literally have to hone in on a 5 gram range and a profile that pulls the swing to it's best light. I do that, they become an extension of me. Zero "focus" needed. lol.