RTJ - GRAND NATIONAL

catcher20

Myself and 7 other friends are doing a Labor day golf trip to RTJ - Grand National. This was suggested by a friend who lives in Auburn and said it was a great value from top to bottom. My research has confirmed that statement, but I am searching for real experiences and what not. Itinerary is as follows:

Fly into ATL Friday morning

Friday afternoon - Short Course

Saturday morning - Links

Saturday afternoon - Short

Sunday morning - Lake

Sunday Afternoon - Links

Monday morning - Lake

Fly out Monday afternoon

Any suggestions or feedback would be great. We are staying on site at the Marriott Grand National.

> @catcher20 said:

> Myself and 7 other friends are doing a Labor day golf trip to RTJ - Grand National. This was suggested by a friend who lives in Auburn and said it was a great value from top to bottom. My research has confirmed that statement, but I am searching for real experiences and what not. Itinerary is as follows:

>

> Fly into ATL Friday morning

> Friday afternoon - Short Course

> Saturday morning - Links

> Saturday afternoon - Short

> Sunday morning - Lake

> Sunday Afternoon - Links

> Monday morning - Lake

> Fly out Monday afternoon

>

> Any suggestions or feedback would be great. We are staying on site at the Marriott Grand National.

I've only played the Opelika stop, but we've played it a few times...some of the guys have also played Ross Bridge, and Capitol Hill and while Ross Bridge seems to be the single favorite, we keep going back to Grand National as a group. Since they opened the onsite hotel, it's just too convenient. Both the Links and Lakes are outstanding courses but collectively with the short course, they think it's the best of the stops they have been on. The greens are not on the same level (not as fast) as the regulation courses the times but as par 3 tracks go, this is the best one I've ever played. From the Orange tee, you will hit almost every club in the bag....lot of fun money games on the short course.

I was a member there for five years in grad school and it is the best golfing facility that I've had regular access too. I was never a huge fan of their range, but other than that, the place is wonderful. I got full playing privileges for about $150 month - so yes, a huge freaking bargain. Besides that, the membership worked at all of the RTJ courses except for two. It was amazing.

I always liked Lake course better than the Links - although I can't exactly say why. They used to play the Barbisol Championship on the Lake - as you may know. The Lake also has Championship Bermuda greens which are like putting on astroturf. The par three course is a ton of fun. The greens on all of the courses are crazy with undulations and tiers. You get in the wrong place and it can be a disaster.

All the courses tend to play pretty tight - target golf. Lots of fairway bunkers, doglegs, swales, and the like. Nice mixture of longer and shorter holes. Also a lot of various options off the tee - driver is not always the best play. Lots of elevation changes - some flat holes bordering the lake, but others that go up and down the surrounding hills. You really have to think your way around those courses. Depending on where you put yourself, they can play pretty easy or brutally freaking hard.

Lots of water and other places to loose balls as well, so take a few if you're prone to errant shots.

Other than that, I really hope you enjoy the trip. I loved my time in Auburn/Opelika.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I was just there last weekend, playing 1-links, 2-lake and 1-short. Course condition was great although i found greens at links in better shape than ones at Lake. Few greens at Lake side had some dead/brown patches although they’re still very playable. Pace of play is very important and starter/ranger will remind you at every opportunities. Tons of ppl playing although i never felt rush. We managed to get rounds in under 4.5 hrs each time. Food/drinks are also very reasonable. Friendly staff. All in all, had a great time with some good golf. Enjoy!

> @jholz said:

> I was a member there for five years in grad school and it is the best golfing facility that I've had regular access too. I was never a huge fan of their range, but other than that, the place is wonderful. I got full playing privileges for about $150 month - so yes, a huge freaking bargain. Besides that, the membership worked at all of the RTJ courses except for two. It was amazing.

>

> I always liked Lake course better than the Links - although I can't exactly say why. They used to play the Barbisol Championship on the Lake - as you may know. The Lake also has Championship Bermuda greens which are like putting on astroturf. The par three course is a ton of fun. The greens on all of the courses are crazy with undulations and tiers. You get in the wrong place and it can be a disaster.

>

> All the courses tend to play pretty tight - target golf. Lots of fairway bunkers, doglegs, swales, and the like. Nice mixture of longer and shorter holes. Also a lot of various options off the tee - driver is not always the best play. Lots of elevation changes - some flat holes bordering the lake, but others that go up and down the surrounding hills. You really have to think your way around those courses. Depending on where you put yourself, they can play pretty easy or brutally freaking hard.

>

> Lots of water and other places to loose balls as well, so take a few if you're prone to errant shots.

>

> Other than that, I really hope you enjoy the trip. I loved my time in Auburn/Opelika.

I really felt both courses were good...the Links plays nothing like a linkstyle course. I guess that should be noted. Love the way RTJ did the fairway bunkering...if you were at the correct tee, you could proably carry them most of the time, but visually they are in your head off the tee on nearly every hole. The greenside runoffs into the marsh makes them extra tough...as you said, it's target golf. We haven't been since they changed the greens at the Lake...the biggest reason I was told they chose the Lake course for the PGA is the course allowed for more corp tents, TV production units, etc...just better for a telecasted production.

> @whynotgolf said:

> > @jholz said:

> > I was a member there for five years in grad school and it is the best golfing facility that I've had regular access too. I was never a huge fan of their range, but other than that, the place is wonderful. I got full playing privileges for about $150 month - so yes, a huge freaking bargain. Besides that, the membership worked at all of the RTJ courses except for two. It was amazing.

> >

> > I always liked Lake course better than the Links - although I can't exactly say why. They used to play the Barbisol Championship on the Lake - as you may know. The Lake also has Championship Bermuda greens which are like putting on astroturf. The par three course is a ton of fun. The greens on all of the courses are crazy with undulations and tiers. You get in the wrong place and it can be a disaster.

> >

> > All the courses tend to play pretty tight - target golf. Lots of fairway bunkers, doglegs, swales, and the like. Nice mixture of longer and shorter holes. Also a lot of various options off the tee - driver is not always the best play. Lots of elevation changes - some flat holes bordering the lake, but others that go up and down the surrounding hills. You really have to think your way around those courses. Depending on where you put yourself, they can play pretty easy or brutally freaking hard.

> >

> > Lots of water and other places to loose balls as well, so take a few if you're prone to errant shots.

> >

> > Other than that, I really hope you enjoy the trip. I loved my time in Auburn/Opelika.

>

> I really felt both courses were good...the Links plays nothing like a linkstyle course. I guess that should be noted. Love the way RTJ did the fairway bunkering...if you were at the correct tee, you could proably carry them most of the time, but visually they are in your head off the tee on nearly every hole. The greenside runoffs into the marsh makes them extra tough...as you said, it's target golf. We haven't been since they changed the greens at the Lake...the biggest reason I was told they chose the Lake course for the PGA is the course allowed for more corp tents, TV production units, etc...just better for a telecasted production.

My comment was not meant to disparage the Links Course in any way. It is a fine course - although completely misnamed, as you mention. It is certainly _**not**_ a links course. I can also see that the Lake made for better TV/hospitality and the like for a tour event. The Lake has the "signature" hole after all - the "island" green par three.

But, there is nothing wrong with the Links course. Many people actually prefer it. I am just not one of them.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

> My comment was not meant to disparage the Links Course in any way. It is a fine course - although completely misnamed, as you mention. It is certainly _**not**_ a links course. I can also see that the Lake made for better TV/hospitality and the like for a tour event. The Lake has the "signature" hole after all - the "island" green par three.

>

> But, there is nothing wrong with the Links course. Many people actually prefer it. I am just not one of them.

I think personal preference goes a long way in these situations...which one checks off more boxes for the player is for the player to decide, no wrong answer...everytime we go we play all 3. I was just mentioned why they opted for the Lakes course for the PGAT.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

> @DCLefty said:

> Agree with Spicoli - I would consider taking a day off from the Lakes/Links courses at Grand National to drive to Prattville for 36 on the Senator and Judge. Don't sleep on those RTJ onion rings either. Enjoy and good luck!

I wish we could, but I wasnt the one who booked and planned the trip so I wont have much say there. I'm pretty sure we did a package deal through RTJ...

• 5 weeks later...

> @catcher20 said:

> > @DCLefty said:

> > Agree with Spicoli - I would consider taking a day off from the Lakes/Links courses at Grand National to drive to Prattville for 36 on the Senator and Judge. Don't sleep on those RTJ onion rings either. Enjoy and good luck!

>

> I wish we could, but I wasnt the one who booked and planned the trip so I wont have much say there. I'm pretty sure we did a package deal through RTJ...

?? ... they're rtj courses (judge/etc) ...

• 2 weeks later...

> @tonypizzle said:

> sounds like such a great trip. i would like to hear your thoughts on it afterwards. i am just constantly searching for buddy trip locations.

I will do my best to give a full report including pictures. There are 12 of us going, so we have adopted the NLU TILT game to keep things interesting. Handicaps range from 1.4 to 14.

Absolutely love playing Grand National, if you get a chance, you and the crew should drive over to Capitol Hill and play that on Sunday. From my perspective it's good to see the other courses on the Trail. And by all means, if you do have an opportunity you have to play Ross Bridge! Awesome course.

• 3 weeks later...

So after two rounds at each of the Grand National, I can say this... they are far from a walk in the park, especially with the pin locations we played them at. Holy smokes those were tough rounds!

I have a hard time believing that the rating of the lakes and the links is correct... it played far more difficult than what we expected. Talk about incredible views from start to finish though. At the end of the weekend, I have to say I favored the links course even though its basically the lakes course with more undulation and bunkers.

> @catcher20 said:

> > @tonypizzle said:

> > sounds like such a great trip. i would like to hear your thoughts on it afterwards. i am just constantly searching for buddy trip locations.

>

> I will do my best to give a full report including pictures. There are 12 of us going, so we have adopted the NLU TILT game to keep things interesting. Handicaps range from 1.4 to 14.

For the money, you will be hard pressed to find a better trip than that. There was 12 of us total. With six rounds and three nights of lodging, it came out to about $480 a person. The resort is top notch as well. If you are looking for an affordable, yet memorable trip, this is the one.

> @catcher20 said:

> So after two rounds at each of the Grand National, I can say this... they are far from a walk in the park, especially with the pin locations we played them at. Holy smokes those were tough rounds!

>

> I have a hard time believing that the rating of the lakes and the links is correct... it played far more difficult than what we expected. Talk about incredible views from start to finish though. At the end of the weekend, I have to say I favored the links course even though its basically the lakes course with more undulation and bunkers.

i've come to believe ratings are based on length and almost nothing else ...

> @catcher20 said:

> > @catcher20 said:

> > > @tonypizzle said:

> > > sounds like such a great trip. i would like to hear your thoughts on it afterwards. i am just constantly searching for buddy trip locations.

> >

> > I will do my best to give a full report including pictures. There are 12 of us going, so we have adopted the NLU TILT game to keep things interesting. Handicaps range from 1.4 to 14.

>

> For the money, you will be hard pressed to find a better trip than that. There was 12 of us total. With six rounds and three nights of lodging, it came out to about $480 a person. The resort is top notch as well. If you are looking for an affordable, yet memorable trip, this is the one.

all 6 in auburn? ... i'm sure they treated you nicely when they looked up from their coloring books ... :|

> @tiderider said:

> > @catcher20 said:

> > > @catcher20 said:

> > > > @tonypizzle said:

> > > > sounds like such a great trip. i would like to hear your thoughts on it afterwards. i am just constantly searching for buddy trip locations.

> > >

> > > I will do my best to give a full report including pictures. There are 12 of us going, so we have adopted the NLU TILT game to keep things interesting. Handicaps range from 1.4 to 14.

> >

> > For the money, you will be hard pressed to find a better trip than that. There was 12 of us total. With six rounds and three nights of lodging, it came out to about $480 a person. The resort is top notch as well. If you are looking for an affordable, yet memorable trip, this is the one.

>

> all 6 in auburn? ... i'm sure they treated you nicely when they looked up from their coloring books ... :|

Yeah, we wanted to make a trip down to Pratville, but we decided against it due to us already having rounds in place. I We played all rounds from the Orange tees, and I felt as though it played quite long. However, a few of the holes on the links course were a force to be reckoned with from the tips. One par three measured 274 and the 18th was basically a par 5 from the tips due to the lengthy approach over the lake.